Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anxiously awaiting today's update for the AZ senate race... :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Joe Biden drinks the blood of children.
https://twitter.com/timtakestime/status/1061767382002266112

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

"Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half of them are dumber than that."

here's how i know voters care about age: i've seen dozens of people in this forum alone talk about age mattering. q.e.d.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

this is obviously not true, why would you think voters don't care about age if aged-related illnesses might legitimately remove their preferred candidate from office

voters might not really care when both candidates are roughly equally old and it's no longer a meaningful distinction but that's a different thing

ignoring the current president, reagan was a senile old coot when he ran against carter (who was at least 10 years younger) and voters didn't give a drat

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

joe biden is godawful but i really can't see him getting far in 2020 either. people only have a generally positive impression of him now because he hasn't done anything as veep for 8 years, he's not particularly charismatic and doesn't have any real policy beliefs people like. once his past votes start coming out he's done. the fact that he's the reason students can't discharge their student loan debt alone would probably be enough to sink him given how huge that crisis is now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eke out posted:

here's how i know voters care about age: i've seen dozens of people in this forum alone talk about age mattering. q.e.d.

Those people, who might be described as "extremely online," may not be the best representatives of the broader American electorate. Especially the 40% who don't vote but need to be engaged by the Dems if the Dems want to win.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or do people on this thread seem just as fixated on Clinton as Trump and his supporters? Like how many people on this forum chant "lock her up" unironically. Trump's the president and the Republicans have been loving over your country a good long while but the last 100 or so pages are "the Dems suck and would have done more because they are the true fascists". Why don't you folks focus more at the task at hand instead of nastolgically waxing about your favourite slogan "Bernie would have won"?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Stexils posted:

joe biden is godawful but i really can't see him getting far in 2020 either. people only have a generally positive impression of him now because he hasn't done anything as veep for 8 years, he's not particularly charismatic and doesn't have any real policy beliefs people like. once his past votes start coming out he's done. the fact that he's the reason students can't discharge their student loan debt alone would probably be enough to sink him given how huge that crisis is now.

People think Joe Biden is Onion Joe Biden

I think he is gonna be the 2020 Jeb

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

ignoring the current president, reagan was a senile old coot when he ran against carter (who was at least 10 years younger) and voters didn't give a drat

this is getting pretty far afield but i thought it was only in the second term that the mental decline became obvious? i've never gone back and watched the reagan/carter debates, but I was under the impression he was either asymptomatic or they were really good at hiding it earlier on

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

eke out posted:

this is obviously not true, why would you think voters don't care about age if aged-related illnesses might legitimately remove their preferred candidate from office

voters might not really care when both candidates are roughly equally old and it's no longer a meaningful distinction but that's a different thing

And certainly relative youth and energy of Bill Clinton and Obama, especially in contrast to their Republican opponents, had no bearing on their popularity and electability.

For a party heavily tied to the younger population it really isn't that crazy to want someone that won't be 80 for the majority of their term. Right or wrong, you can then actually contrast that candidate vs. Trump's failing brain.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Those people, who might be described as "extremely online," may not be the best representatives of the broader American electorate. Especially the 40% who don't vote but need to be engaged by the Dems if the Dems want to win.

I'm not extremely online but age does make a difference. It's how I managed to convince some of my friends to vote for Obama over McCain.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Madkal posted:

Is it just me or do people on this thread seem just as fixated on Clinton as Trump and his supporters? Like how many people on this forum chant "lock her up" unironically. Trump's the president and the Republicans have been loving over your country a good long while but the last 100 or so pages are "the Dems suck and would have done more because they are the true fascists". Why don't you folks focus more at the task at hand instead of nastolgically waxing about your favourite slogan "Bernie would have won"?

Bernie would have won IS about the task at hand.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Madkal posted:

i don't think you're keeping up with the thread, cause people are currently discussing "bernie will win".

eke out posted:

this is getting pretty far afield but i thought it was only in the second term that the mental decline became obvious? i've never gone back and watched the reagan/carter debates, but I was under the impression he was either asymptomatic or they were really good at hiding it earlier on

he was 70 when he was first elected. if age was such a huge determinant, carter who was less than 60 should've won as there would be very little chance his brain would turn to pudding mid-term

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Luckyellow posted:

I'm not extremely online but age does make a difference. It's how I managed to convince some of my friends to vote for Obama over McCain.

But again, if we're talking about Bernie (or another old) running against Trump, it's not exactly going to be that clear-cut of a distinction.

KingNastidon posted:

And certainly relative youth and energy of Bill Clinton and Obama, especially in contrast to their Republican opponents, had no bearing on their popularity and electability.

For a party heavily tied to the younger population it really isn't that crazy to want someone that won't be 80 for the majority of their term. Right or wrong, you can then actually contrast that candidate vs. Trump's failing brain.

I think we're all in agreement that if the Democrats had a possible nominee for 2020 who had the good views of Bernie and his ability to turn out a winning coalition, but who was considerably younger and was a woman or a minority or both, and who had greater charisma, that person would be preferable.

But that person does not exist on the scene right now.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 12, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: oops

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

he was 70 when he was first elected. if age was such a huge determinant, carter who was less than 60 should've won as there would be very little chance his brain would turn to pudding mid-term

i just disagreed with a person that says it doesn't matter at all, i didn't say it was a huge determinant, seriously are you unable to respond without being weirdly hostile?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Looks like the final outcome in more AZ races have flipped

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1061771926211907584

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

eke out posted:

i just disagreed with a person that says it doesn't matter at all, i didn't say it was a huge determinant, seriously are you unable to respond without being weirdly hostile?

not trying to be hostile eke out. sorry about that

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
we have a 2020 dem primary thread, you know

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Almost 33k for Sinema now, and I don't think Maricopa County has updated

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
A likely story.

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/1061765275291250688

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I sincerely hope we can do better than Bernie in 2020. I won't deny he started the massaging war but I'd rather a younger person fill the role.

I like Bernie but I feel like he's been made the spokesperson of the leftist wing. We need better spokespeople, not an enshrinement of the few we have.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

What are your top ten things to try to get them not to do?

Because I have a hard time thinking of stuff way more important than not having the media help jig our election process.

in no particular order

1) stop defaulting to "party a said X, party b said Y, you decide!" when one party is clearly right and one party is lying
2) when a politician blatantly lies, stop tweeting ""outright lie", trump says" with no indication it's a lie, signal-boosting the lie
3) stop running tv shows where there's a news anchor, and then a right-wing liar as the "other side"
4) stop giving right-wing liars who make a career out of shamelessly lying gigs on TV or print
5) stop letting brazen lying drive its own news cycle, signal-blasting the lie
6) deal with the newness bias so that one awful thing gets pushed out of the news by another
7) scientifically illiterate people writing science articles based on news releases
8) allowing an anonymous source deceive the public without consequence
9-10) all those generally awful NYT things that are escaping me

in 2016 and 2008, including superdelegates in the count was technically correct but probably not correct for several reasons, the biggest being significant doubt superdelegates would overturn the verdict of the primary. in 2020, it will be objectively, unmistakably wrong because a superdelegate vote doesn't mean poo poo unless it's the second ballot, so any count of who has the most superdelegates wouldn't make any sense until there was a real risk of a second ballot (nobody won 50% of the pledged delegates) which would only be a story later on and would need to account for states who selected their pledged delegates in ways other than letting the candidate select loyalists.

it would not shock me if someone made that mistake, but it would be an objective factual mistake and that's the sort of thing that the media tends to be good about correcting. errors of judgment - are readers better informed by including superdelegates with pledged delegates in 2008/2016, less so, but that is no longer the case.

next to the things i identified "don't make this one, specific, factual error" is like sure, don't do that, but it's a problem that has never actually even occurred yet and if it does it will be because some reporters didn't notice the DNC rules change and will probably be corrected when someone explains it to them. if i get a magic "fix the media" wand, i'm going after the stuff that lets republicans both-sides their way through the day

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Party Plane Jones posted:

we have a 2020 dem primary thread, you know

is there any harm in the primary being discussed here too?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think age should matter and for more reasons than the person might drop dead at any moment, but I've almost never seen most voters consistently care about a candidate's age. They care if it's a talking point they can use against their preferred candidate's opponent, but they don't care if their own candidate is old as dirt. No Trump or Hillary/Biden/Sanders supporter is going to flip because of age concerns. The only time I ever saw any real concern was with McCain and that was a combination of being super old, incredibly feeble, and having a crazy idiot as a running mate.

Mendrian posted:

I sincerely hope we can do better than Bernie in 2020. I won't deny he started the massaging war but I'd rather a younger person fill the role.

I want in on this massaging war. My neck is killing me.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 12, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

democrats are the good cop of capitalism, op

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

I don't think you'll see the same number of sugar daddy candidates in the race past super Tuesday like you saw in the Republican 2016 primary - the Democratic party doesn't seem to encourage that sort of vanity run and I think the candidate will wither if they're perceived as inauthentic.

My concern is twofold.

First, who gets to Super Tuesday? If there's 12 candidates running, and there are "groups" A, B, C (things like "centrists" or "economic progressives" or "social justice progressives" or the like), where voters who like a candidate will prefer other candidates in that group over candidates in other groups. There's two A, two B, eight C. Perhaps this is because C is the biggest group in the party; the most enthusiastic; the best shot at winning, who knows. All other things being equal, the winner of Iowa and New Hampshire - and probably the second place and third place winner - will be from groups A and B, even if those candidates are objectively weaker than candidates from group C. You can easily wind up with everyone from group C dropping out by Super Tuesday or considered an also-ran running a vanity campaign in a way that kills their chances. That's all purely because group C will split their votes much more than groups A and B; even group C is both A and B's second choice (instead of B or A); even if group C is the policies most likely to win the election; even if group C is the most populous part of the Democratic Party.

Second, if not enough people drop out by Super Tuesday, you're gonna have a loving shitshow because it may not be possible for anyone to get 50%, because with proportional allocation of delegates even if everyone but the top two drop out after Super Tuesday, too many pledged delegates may be pledged to someone who can't win. If the top two are roughly even, then you can't get to 50%. There may be ways to deal with that short of superdelegates (those non-viable candidates instructing their members to vote for the one of the two viable candidates who has the most votes), but any solution will be acrimonious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eke out posted:

this is a good point: when will Hillary apologize for her campaign staffers in 2008?

I mean yeah, that incompetent bumbling 2008 campaign did foreshadow the absolute disastrous malpractice that gave away the whole country to a sundowning reality TV racist

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boy I’m super glad our awesome media reported Tucker Carlson’s version of events word for word and big idiot Stephon Colbert opened his big dumb mouth too and denounced the protestors without knowing a drat thing that happened. Good jobs all around.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Brony Car posted:

What about Fox News?
They're already frequently being boycotted, but yes, continue doing that.

Willa Rogers posted:

What are your top ten things to try to get them not to do?

Because I have a hard time thinking of stuff way more important than not having the media help jig our election process.
Really? Because way above that is the he-said-she-said *shrug* I guess you'll just have to decide between these two equally credible people we brought on when one side is a centrist dem and the other is a raving loon.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to boycott over that garbage but it's a harder question to clearly answer than "Is literal nazi Richard Spencer being given airtime y/n?"

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Condiv posted:

It was a concern against Mondale. Reagan showed early evidence of donkeybrains in their first debate, but he managed to own the issue with a scripted witticism.

Second debate:

MODERATOR: "You already are the oldest President in history, and some of your staff say you were tired after your most recent encounter with Mr. Mondale. I recall, yes, that President Kennedy, who had to go for days on end with very little sleep during the Cuba missile crisis. Is there any doubt in your mind that you would be able to function in such circumstances?"

REAGAN: "Not at all, Mr. Trewhitt and I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience."

MODERATOR: "Mr. President, I'd like to head for the fence and try to catch that one before it goes over."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/CalOrganize/status/1061345693296603136

https://twitter.com/CalOrganize/status/1061766919559114752

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's a fair response, and it's also not about the primary.

Also while Hillary barely lost, she barely lost to Donald Trump. I also don't think the meme about her "not visiting the Midwest" really mattered, she campaigned in PA a lot and still lost there.

I'm sure there's a constituency for Hillary 2020, but I don't think she beats people like Booker, Harris, and Gillibrand.

By this point Hillary loses to a large percentage of the Democratic field even for the "establishment's choice" lane of the primaries

I don't see her doing well against Booker or Harris for African-Americans

the only thing she really has is name recognition and idk if that helps her more or hurts her more

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Typo posted:

the only thing she really has is name recognition and idk if that helps her more or hurts her more

She isn't running.

And she had her bite at the apple. I say this as someone who voted for her in the primary and the general (obviously) but she isn't running again because she had her shot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

People think Joe Biden is Onion Joe Biden

I think he is gonna be the 2020 Jeb

yea he's not gonna get bodied instantly like he deserves like say one of the Castro twins will be, but he's gonna fade out as soon as any actually magnetic candidate emerges as a frontrunner.

Still gently caress him, but I'm just not worried about him like I am a horrific third Clinton run.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Obama had HHS set-up and run orphanages for unaccompanied minors so the CBP didn't have to take care of loving children. Where did the unaccompanied minors come from? Probably people who realized they could get their kids into the US around CBP policy by just sending them here on planes and making us deal with it. It's a lovely situation, and we went along with the status quo, and did what we could to allow the children of illegal immigrants to come join their parents here without punishing them or their parents.

They could just come here illegally, work for a few months, then send money home to buy a plane ticket for their kids, and give them a phone number to call once they arrive... and then the could come get their kids. This was, objectively a decent thing to do. It would have been nice to reform immigration and make working residence legal, but Obama lost control of the US House of Representatives for trying to pass the ACA, another objectively good, albeit not enough policy.

Trump is pulling literal infants from the arms of their literal mothers and putting them into warehouses and tent cities. There is no loving moral equivalence here.

I just want to say that this post is amazing in it's ability to complete gloss over the main reason those kids even had to show up to the border was because of the United States (both R's and D's) turbo-loving Central American countries with coups at best and death squads at worst. What Trump did/does is pretty loving monstrous, but just because Obama (and to a great extend Hillary's State Department) kept it's crimes on the periphery of the Empire doesn't make this a "Well they made the best of a lovely situation". They loving made the situation, just with a few degrees of separation because they aren't complete idiots like Donald Trump.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Mark Penn is a republican and that entire WSJ column is just a troll to the left-wing of the Democratic Party. Best to ignore

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mooseontheloose posted:

She isn't running.

And she had her bite at the apple. I say this as someone who voted for her in the primary and the general (obviously) but she isn't running again because she had her shot.

idk if she's running: the problem with that statement is it basically depends on someone's mood at any given time for the next year or so. She could just have an LSD trip moment of revelation or w/e and decides to run. But obvsly she isn't winning

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't believe Hillary coordinated a bloodless coup inside the DNC and now rules with an iron fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Franchise owners getting uppity? No problem, just send in the fasch!