Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy gently caress, how are they so bad at this??

I know one guy who revels in bad news for Sony but it's for a really stupid reason; he's a massive old school Sega fanboy and hates them because the PlayStation was more popular than the Dreamcast.

On which note, remember how Sony was so heavily invested in Spider-Man that they used the Spider-Man movie font for the PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Fart City posted:

Yeah, she got piercings. She modded her body for a role because she dug it so much. Then she got iced out of the franchise. It still shows how dedicated she was to the character.

Or she just wanted to write them off as a business expense

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know one guy who revels in bad news for Sony but it's for a really stupid reason; he's a massive old school Sega fanboy and hates them because the PlayStation was more popular than the Dreamcast.

On which note, remember how Sony was so heavily invested in Spider-Man that they used the Spider-Man movie font for the PS3?

I never made that connection, but it totally makes sense now.

I remember in '99 when a Sony exec forced theaters to play Godzilla 2000 or else they wouldn't be allowed to play Spider-Man, so this has been a long running thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

I never made that connection, but it totally makes sense now.

I remember in '99 when a Sony exec forced theaters to play Godzilla 2000 or else they wouldn't be allowed to play Spider-Man, so this has been a long running thing.

Godzilla 2000 played in '00, Spider-Man in '02, that seems weird

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Holy gently caress, how are they so bad at this??

Addendum to my prev. post:

Reminder that the movie from last year which Sony purportedly expected would be a major hit and would give them the necessary heft to start asserting more control over Spider-Man was:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also, who wouldn't want to see Godzilla 2000?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reminder that the movie from last year which Sony purportedly expected would be a major hit and would give them the necessary heft to start asserting more control over Spider-Man was:

What I love about the Emoji Movie is that it feels like someone just decided to live out the Coupon: The Movie sketch but couldn't find a judge to play along.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In related news, Venom opened in China this weekend to the tune of $111 million, the 2nd largest superhero movie opening ever in the country, bringing its worldwide total to $673m. So I'm guessing we'll see a bunch of Sony's Spidey-adjacent films get fastracked in the near future.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Maxwell Lord posted:

The buzz around the first Spider-Man was HUGE years in advance of its release. Comic book films were still somewhat novel thing at the turn of the century, and this was Sony challenging both the established Batman franchise and the new X-Men franchise. So yeah, even with more than two years till release, everyone knew it was going to be a big enough deal that Sony could make theaters run whatever they wanted in the meantime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wonder if it was still in that speculative limbo where James Cameron would write/direct based off the scriptment he worked on.

Because yeah I could totally see them saying show Godzilla in exchange for Cameron Spiderguy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, who wouldn't want to see Godzilla 2000?

There were six people in the screening I was at opening night, so not many in Missouri in 2000.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tars Tarkas posted:

There were six people in the screening I was at opening night, so not many in Missouri in 2000.

My friend and I saw it opening weekend!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

I wonder if it was still in that speculative limbo where James Cameron would write/direct based off the scriptment he worked on.

I believe Cameron was talking about how he was going to get started on Spider-Man next in interviews and appearances promoting then-new Titanic in 1997.

His scriptment was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doctor Octopus who was going to refer to his robot arms as "weldos". Before anyone corrects me, I know that "weldos" are a real thing; this does not make the prospect of Arnold Schwarzenegger talking about his weldos any less funny.

Of course that was going back a few years by that point; the Spider-Man cartoon from 1994 skipped the origin because it was assumed people would have seen the Cameron movie before that. I sometimes wonder if this is why the version of Doc Ock from that cartoon is super jacked and has a generic Central European accent.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The genesis of the Cameron Spider-Man script is so strange. I'm pretty sure the one he gave the studio was actually written by several other people back when Cannon films owned the rights (after they decided to not have Spider-Man be a giant spider). That script was intended to be directed by Tobe Hooper and then later Joseph Zito.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wheat Loaf posted:

His scriptment was going to feature Arnold Schwarzenegger as Doctor Octopus who was going to refer to his robot arms as "weldos".
Oh weird. I read one a million years ago that basically had the villain be Electro but using his spark powers to cyberhack ATMs and banks to basically become the kingpin.

It also had Parker covering the local junk yard with gobs of thick ropey cum spider-silk in a powers montage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

It also had Parker covering the local junk yard with gobs of thick ropey cum spider-silk in a powers montage.

Somehow before I saw the movie, I saw the Jack Black (?) parody where he's doing that and then designing costumes by drawing pictures of sailors and bikers and labelling them "NOT GAY ENOUGH" and "STILL NOT GAY ENOUGH" before he finally arrives at the Spider-Man costume and writes "EXACTLY THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF GAY".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JethroMcB posted:

In related news, Venom opened in China this weekend to the tune of $111 million, the 2nd largest superhero movie opening ever in the country, bringing its worldwide total to $673m. So I'm guessing we'll see a bunch of Sony's Spidey-adjacent films get fastracked in the near future.

"People love Spider-Man's villains! We're going to make so much bank! Wait'll they get a load of Gibbon! The Spot! White Rabbit!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lobok posted:

"People love Spider-Man's villains! We're going to make so much bank! Wait'll they get a load of Gibbon! The Spot! White Rabbit!"
Stilt-Man: Origins

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stilt-Man: Origins

Wake me up when it's Lady Stilt-Man: Dawn of Stilts

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Before anyone corrects me, I know that "weldos" are a real thing;

The term is actually "waldos." Named after the sci-fi short story that invented the concept.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

If this causes the Morbius movie to have the same batshit insane censorship the 90s Spider-Man: The Animated Series did to appease the Chinese market, I’m in.

I’ll totally tolerate Jared Leto just to hear him yell “I NEED MORE PLASMA!”

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

You joke, but It would be great to see a supervillain comedy where a bunch of those loser villains team up and bumble their way through crime, a la The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not a Leto fan, but Morbius is the perfect project for him. Seeing him as a tryhard emo vampire antihero (ideally with the lamprey hands, yeah) just fits. Though I doubt the project would have enough self-awareness to do much with it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just pray that somehow through all this we get some kind of war wheel.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I want a balls to the wall version of Hammerhead played by DeNiro, sneering and gangstering while chewing all the scenery.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Lobok posted:

Again, Sony owns the rights to literally hundreds of characters but does not want to acknowledge that the reason like 95% of them have any cachet at all is because sometimes they talk to Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AceOfFlames posted:

You joke, but It would be great to see a supervillain comedy where a bunch of those loser villains team up and bumble their way through crime, a la The Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

My post was in fact inspired by:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want a balls to the wall version of Hammerhead played by DeNiro, sneering and gangstering while chewing all the scenery.

that's brilliant. No, seriously, the rise of the MCU and descent of DeNiro's career completely make that a possibility. And it's a character that has never been used in film before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lobok posted:

My post was in fact inspired by:

I had this issue as a kid and I loved The Spot

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kite man. Hell yeah!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

AceOfFlames posted:

If this causes the Morbius movie to have the same batshit insane censorship the 90s Spider-Man: The Animated Series did to appease the Chinese market, I’m in.

I’ll totally tolerate Jared Leto just to hear him yell “I NEED MORE PLASMA!”

I hope is silly funny as the last half of Venom was. No edgy realistic goth poo poo. Fun, just fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Deniro as Hammerhead as a Mob Kingpin type Boss with Tombstone type enforcer could be good. Though I don't know, it's a bit understated kind of villain compared to his other Rogue's Gallery. Would a Mob Spider-man movie work? I'd think that'd be like a B story or it'd be him sending all kinds of villains to take down Spider-man and coordinating a Sinister Six type of get together.

Doctor Octopus
Vulture
Hobgoblin
Sandman
Electro
Mysterio

Or replace one with Scorpion or Rhyno. Could be good. Leave Kraven and the Lizard for its own movie.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 12, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had this issue as a kid and I loved The Spot

Isn't the Spot pretty powerful? Making Looney Tunes holes would let you do some great stuff. Actually he shouldn't be a villain at all with the poo poo he could do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gatts posted:

Deniro as Hammerhead as a Mob Kingpin type Boss with Tombstone type enforcer could be good. Though I don't know, it's a bit understated kind of villain compared to his other Rogue's Gallery. Would a Mob Spider-man movie work? I'd think that'd be like a B story or it'd be him sending all kinds of villains to take down Spider-man and coordinating a Sinister Six type of get together.

Doctor Octopus
Vulture
Hobgoblin
Sandman
Electro
Mysterio

Or replace one with Scorpion or Rhyno. Could be good. Leave Kraven and the Lizard for its own movie.

Hammerhead is not a subtle villain. He thinks he's a prohibition era gangster from the movies and talks and acts like it. There's also Silvermane and Rose for other gangsters. The Enforcers would be awesome to see on film too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Beachcomber posted:

Isn't the Spot pretty powerful? Making Looney Tunes holes would let you do some great stuff. Actually he shouldn't be a villain at all with the poo poo he could do.

There was a storyline in Daredevil several years ago with a character called Coyote who was given Spot's powers and he did some extreme and hosed-up dark poo poo with them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hammerhead is not a subtle villain. He thinks he's a prohibition era gangster from the movies and talks and acts like it. There's also Silvermane and Rose for other gangsters. The Enforcers would be awesome to see on film too.

We already seen one of the Enforcers in Spider-man Homecoming as the first Shocker who got vaporized by mistake. Think they used him since Spectacular Spider-man made one of the Enforcer members get upgraded into the Shocker.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If Deniro would do Grudge Match, he'd probably take a fat Disney check to go "ey, Spidehmook, wassamatta you face" in a big Dick Tracy suit and CGI head

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JethroMcB posted:

We'll finally get that Aunt May Super Spy prequel movie that has been rumoured for years!!
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sony-aunt-may-spider-man-spinoff/
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/aunt-may-film-rumor-sony/
Sony said that rumour was "silly" and had “no validity whatsoever" but the rumours about the MCU deal and the "female led" Spider-Man spin-off that were going around at the same time turned out to be true ...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We'll finally get that Aunt May Super Spy prequel movie that has been rumoured for years!!
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/sony-aunt-may-spider-man-spinoff/
https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/aunt-may-film-rumor-sony/
Sony said that rumour was "silly" and had “no validity whatsoever" but the rumours about the MCU deal and the "female led" Spider-Man spin-off that were going around at the same time turned out to be true ...
I mean they were seriously trying to do a Silver Sable movie, so anything is on the table apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean they were seriously trying to do a Silver Sable movie, so anything is on the table apparently.

They still are! They had announced a "Silver & Black" Silver Sable + Black Cat team-up film for Feb 2019 and then pulled it from their schedule in June, but they recently announced solo movies for the two characters: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/whats-next-for-the-spider-man-universe-after-venom-exclusive-1202900203/

quote:

Some of Sony’s previously announced plans for Spider-Man and company are being reworked. Namely, the studio is scrapping “Silver & Black,” which was supposed to chronicle the team of Silver Sable, a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals, and Black Cat, a burglar named Felicia Hardy. Instead, the characters will be in standalone films, the first of which will likely feature Black Cat.

“We believe Black Cat is enough of her own character with a great backstory and a canon of material to draw from to justify her own film,” said Panitch.

quote:

Sony has already announced plans to make “Morbius,” with Daniel Espinosa (“Safe House”) directing Jared Leto as the titular vampire and frequent Spidey nemesis, and has lined up Richard Wenk (“The Equalizer 2”) to write a screenplay focused on Kraven the Hunter. The studio is also in the process of developing movies based on Silk, Jackpot, and Nightwatch, and is actively looking for writers to pen scripts.