Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBX posted:

Nobody here is playing 80% of the stuff on game pass unless they just didn't play games for a decade

Ive played probably half or more* the stuff on game pass but thats kind of the point of the service. A bunch of big mass appeal things and then longer and longer tail niche stuff. Like Ill never play obscure or hello neighbor but random uncontrollable indie mess #2236 like innerverse is 100% my jam.

*figure includes downloading game, booting it up, deleting during tutorial like rise and shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
I wasn't expecting new game announcements or anything crazy and I thought the show was fine, but what the gently caress was up with those maniacs in the crowd? I would have applauded during the beginning/end and after the Obsidian and InXile announcements, but these weirdos were going bat-poo poo insane and jumping up and down after every sentence. I can only assume these guys were paid shills. Anyway, I'm really excited about what all these new studios can do with MS' backing.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I wasn't expecting new game announcements or anything crazy and I thought the show was fine, but what the gently caress was up with those maniacs in the crowd? I would have applauded during the beginning/end and after the Obsidian and InXile announcements, but these weirdos were going bat-poo poo insane and jumping up and down after every sentence. I can only assume these guys were paid shills. Anyway, I'm really excited about what all these new studios can do with MS' backing.

Shills, no. Attendees being told when to cheer (which was every 5 seconds), yes.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

They are real fans who don’t spend every waking moment on the internet complaining about video games you goddamn cucked out lunatic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Aren’t a lot of attendees at these things (for all companies) employees?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Steve Yun posted:

Aren’t a lot of attendees at these things (for all companies) employees?

Does Microsoft have a Mexico City office?
Or am I imagining that it was held in Mexico City?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly with me posted:

It was/still is occuring in Mexico City since the two hours today was a larger inside xbox while the rest of it is a fan event

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fly with me posted:

There is a huge Microsoft office in Mexico City but it has very little to do with their gaming divisions

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Xbox Ambassador posted:

They are real fans who don’t spend every waking moment on the internet complaining about video games you goddamn cucked out lunatic

How did you know I was cucked out? Now I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

I'm still gonna PM you my GT once I get set up. I've been really busy lately and all my gaming time has been dedicated to inching my way through AC: Origins. Still haven't bothered getting XBLG.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is Crackdown just an open-world sandbox where 90% of it's enjoyment comes from dicking around with the physics? I'm not really a fan of those type of games, prefer plenty of missions/challenges that add towards progression.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BisterdDave posted:

Is Crackdown just an open-world sandbox where 90% of it's enjoyment comes from dicking around with the physics? I'm not really a fan of those type of games, prefer plenty of missions/challenges that add towards progression.

More of the latter. You have like four different attributes that improve as you use them-shooting gets better the more lenemies you shoot, you get better at jumping/climbing by collecting orbs that are placed in high locations, your driving skill gets better as you do races and run over enemies.

Crackdown is pretty fun, not that long, and not very replayable. I skipped the sequel due to its weak reviews, but I’ll probably give 3 a shot no matter what.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

The first crackdown is a series of progressively difficult all out assaults to assassinate a target. Each target you kill working under that regions boss makes the region boss easier in some way tied to their job (kill the physical trainer, guards at the final base have less health). Most of these have multiple approaches and none are scripted so however and with whatever abilities and weapons you want to use is valid, if perhaps punishingly hard. Beating an area is such solid progress they had to release a dlc that does nothing but let you respawn enemies because otherwise at the end you have successfully eradicated all crime.

More importantly than the main gameplay loop and ostensibly the literal only reason people remember the franchise, there are orbs all over the city which collecting improves your arial mobility and that progression of going from jumping a couple of feet to leaping between skyscrapers in 40 meter leaps is what hooked most people. In addition to that, you can improve your driving, shooting, and health/strength by using those skills either on your foes or doing side challenges.

The agency vehicles transform based on your driving level, with the sports car becoming basically Batman 88 batmobile replete with front mounted dual machine guns

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

BisterdDave posted:

I stopped playing a few days ago, telling myself I'll wait until they release a patch fixing the HDR issue. Part of me is ok with not going back to it though, mainly because as amazing it is to look at, I wasn't having fun with it.

Is there any indication from R* that they're even going to patch/fix HDR? It seems like their standard customer service response is to tell people to try adjusting settings on their TVs but no real acknowledgement of the HDR issues reported by Digital Foundry / HDTVtest.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Parker Lewis posted:

Is there any indication from R* that they're even going to patch/fix HDR? It seems like their standard customer service response is to tell people to try adjusting settings on their TVs but no real acknowledgement of the HDR issues reported by Digital Foundry / HDTVtest.

I'm just assuming that they'll release some sort of fix. They've gotta at least patch some of the issues that are currently being experienced, and I like to think they'll throw in an HDR fix in there as well.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

El_Elegante posted:

More of the latter. You have like four different attributes that improve as you use them-shooting gets better the more lenemies you shoot, you get better at jumping/climbing by collecting orbs that are placed in high locations, your driving skill gets better as you do races and run over enemies.

Crackdown is pretty fun, not that long, and not very replayable. I skipped the sequel due to its weak reviews, but I’ll probably give 3 a shot no matter what.

I was worried it would end up being like Just Cause, where it's more of a "create your own fun" playground. I just can't get into those types of games, give me objectives and missions!

and yes I know Just Cause has objectives and missions, but ya'll know what I'm talking about

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I was worried it would end up being like Just Cause, where it's more of a "create your own fun" playground. I just can't get into those types of games, give me objectives and missions!

and yes I know Just Cause has objectives and missions, but ya'll know what I'm talking about

The biggest flaws of the original crackdown is its too focused and doesnt provide really any "make your own fun" and that its relatively short. Oh and that you can beeline the best weapons in the game in the first few minutes if you know what youre doing and thus not switch guns ever again.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
If I don't have a 4k tv (and don't think I will acquire one in the short term) is there any point to getting the one X over the one S? The S model seems to be half the price. I mainly want to play forza horizon 4, maybe the new cowboy game and whatever drops on big sales thats considered an old good game. I had the original xbox like 15 years ago or whatever. Thanks for the help.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

If I don't have a 4k tv (and don't think I will acquire one in the short term) is there any point to getting the one X over the one S? The S model seems to be half the price. I mainly want to play forza horizon 4, maybe the new cowboy game and whatever drops on big sales thats considered an old good game. I had the original xbox like 15 years ago or whatever. Thanks for the help.

The X runs RDR2 a lot better.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The cowboy game looks and runs better on an X, and Forza Horizon 4 has a 60fps option on the X.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

The One X will still render at 4k and then fit it to your display. Some games like Forza Horizon 4 have settings to run at 4k/30fps or 1080/60fps exclusive to the X. Some backwards compatible games run better on the X too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yes, buy the X unless money is a real concern.

Even if you dont have a 4k tv, the X will not only sample down to 1080p from the 4k textures when available, the additional power can also be used for frame rate boosts and other performance and graphics enhancements if available. An excellent example is Foriza Horizon 4 where on the S youre looking at sub 1080p at 30 frames while on the X youll get 60fps 1080p locked. In addition, backwards compatible games for the 360 can run better on the X if patched which they wont on an S and all original Xbox games run better/display in higher resolution on the X without needing any patching but will never have such improvements on an S.

Not that it probably matters but the X also has better game recording abilities as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The S is a wet turd by all accounts and Microsoft themselves don't even seem very interested in supporting it. I'd feel pretty bad spending money on it, even if it is half the price of an X. Unless all you really want to do is play 360 games for as cheap as possible, I'd see about finding a way to get an X ($399 for the holidays).

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
FWIW I have an S that I primarily use for media, and the games I play on it seem to run fine mostly. Maybe newer games run like poo poo, but I play Battlefield 1 fine on it.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Thank you for the posts. I will look into the X then.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I haven't played on Xbox since the PS4 came out. A while back I got the Xbox Elite controller for PC games though. I liked it so goddamned much I ended up getting an X on Friday. HOLY poo poo. This thing is really, really nice. Wow. Playing RDR2 on this is so much better than PS4 it shocked me. The X enhanced 360 games are nuts. So yeah, guess I'm on the Xbox train way late, but it's great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I haven't played on Xbox since the PS4 came out. A while back I got the Xbox Elite controller for PC games though. I liked it so goddamned much I ended up getting an X on Friday. HOLY poo poo. This thing is really, really nice. Wow. Playing RDR2 on this is so much better than PS4 it shocked me. The X enhanced 360 games are nuts. So yeah, guess I'm on the Xbox train way late, but it's great.

:same:

I was debating between the pro and the X and I’m very happy I got the X. The UI is garbage but drat the games play amazing on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Honestly the S is fine.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MarcusSA posted:

:same:

I was debating between the pro and the X and I’m very happy I got the X. The UI is garbage but drat the games play amazing on it.

I did the same thing. Waffled on pro and X, glad I went X. Also gently caress this UI sucks so hard. I couldn't figure out how to get RDR2 to install the second disk at first and ended up restarting the whole install so it took like 2 hours aaaaahhhhh. But when games are playing, beautiful.

e: And game pass is cool af. I got it on PC just to play Horizon, I've installed/tried out a ton of poo poo on Xbox.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly the S is fine.

I would have to agree. I had the S, traded up for the X, and I'm not really seeing a difference, even on 4k.

That being said, I'm not a huge gamer, so I might not be a good bellwether on this.

If you plan on getting the X though, you should wait until the holiday specials start kicking in. I know one of the deals is $100 off the console.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BisterdDave posted:

I keep running into a graphical/HDR issue with RDR2. I'll start up the game and when it loads up, everything looks really dim/dark (more than usual). The game's pause menu and Xbox in-game dashboard menu are suuuuper dark, and can barely make out anything that isn't white. If I exit out to the main dashboard everything looks normal again. Anyone else experiencing this?

Looks like I'm experiencing this issue with Forza Horizon 4 too. Makes me think it's an system HDR problem. It's pretty much a hit or miss anytime I boot FH4 up whether the issue will pop up or not. Sometimes it's slightly darker, other times it's completely washed out. Kinda annoying to have to keep resetting the game.

Also, this system sucks at waking up from "suspend" mode. 50% of the time the system turns on, then turns itself off after a couple seconds. Other times nothing comes up on screen and the console gets stuck flashing the xbox logo. Bleh.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly the S is fine.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
I'm really loving my xb1x but I agree with others who say the UI is trash. I had an OG PS4 before getting this and the UI is so much slicker and more intuitive.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Xbox keeps winning

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
That's a nice camel toe on Agent 47

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I did the same thing. Waffled on pro and X, glad I went X. Also gently caress this UI sucks so hard. I couldn't figure out how to get RDR2 to install the second disk at first and ended up restarting the whole install so it took like 2 hours aaaaahhhhh. But when games are playing, beautiful.

e: And game pass is cool af. I got it on PC just to play Horizon, I've installed/tried out a ton of poo poo on Xbox.

Oh yeah that happened to me too! It said insert the second disc and it just stopped installing. It ended up fixing it self sometime the next day while I was at work.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its glitched.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Confirmed, game looks amazing on all consoles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

So glad I got off the bleeding edge graphics train. Imagine giving a poo poo about this.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

So glad I got off the bleeding edge graphics train. Imagine giving a poo poo about this.

screenshots don't do it justice. RDR2 in motion is a sight to be seen on the X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

TheScott2K posted:

Sooo you're saying you're playing on an inferior console?