Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i don't hate biden as much as some on this(not judging) but gently caress this decorum poo poo. the dude loving destroyed and crippled two countries and a million are dead, not to mention the thousands of american/nato soldiers who have either died or be physicaly or emotionally destroyed. and we didn't win poo poo in the end. iraq while recovering still has gently caress tons of corruption and ethnic/sectarian splits and Afghanistan is all but lost. hell the only reason we got to this point is because we payed the terrorists/islamists/etc off. now biden slaps this ghoul on the back because to them, its all a big stupid game.

It's not just decorum. They agreed on the Iraq invasion. Biden voted for it and was all in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Otteration posted:

And yet we have no idea who that will be. And yet (you're) i'm not in charge.

is this some new twitter thing? why are you typing like this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Otteration posted:

Any possible primaries are ten hundred thousand million decades from now.

An [sic] bloated orange poo poo stain is in charge, and we should care about primaries in two (loving ten hundred thousand million decades from now) years?

Yes, absolutely you should. When a potential frontrunner candidate is fatally flawed, it's smart to winnow them out earlier rather than later. Otherwise you start hearing morons in places of power bray things like "it's [his] turn."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Trump’s Nationalism, Rebuked at World War I Ceremony, Is Reshaping Much of Europe"

"Only after these leaders arrived by foot at the Arc de Triomphe did President Trump show up, protected from the rain as he made an individual entrance. A few minutes later, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia did the same."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/us/politics/macron-trump-paris-wwi.html

It's like orange rain, don't you know. But on your wedding day.

Isn't ironic.

Isn't a primary, somewhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Otteration posted:

"Trump’s Nationalism, Rebuked at World War I Ceremony, Is Reshaping Much of Europe"

"Only after these leaders arrived by foot at the Arc de Triomphe did President Trump show up, protected from the rain as he made an individual entrance. A few minutes later, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia did the same."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/us/politics/macron-trump-paris-wwi.html

It's like orange rain, don't you know. But on your wedding day.

Isn't ironic.

Isn't a primary, somewhere.

yeah. i think the US may save itself still if only because our facists are even dumber and worse then other ones. but i think europe at least france and germany is hosed.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

i think it should be pretty clear that joe biden hanging a medal around george loving bush's neck should immediately disqualify any of his future political ambitions

george loving bush, people

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"Bipartisanship" means "the other side should vote for my side's stuff".

this is extremely true and more people need to internalize it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Zwabu posted:

Do we have any indication of how many Trump voters crossed over to vote for the Sinemas, Testers, PA governor, MI governor etc.?

I thought I saw an article that said Democrats did far better in Clinton/Romney districts than Obama/Trump districts nationwide.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think the US may save itself still if only because our facists are even dumber and worse then other ones. but i think europe at least france and germany is hosed.

If France and Germany are hosed than Europe is hosed, because Brexit is going to slap the UK down hard, and the rest of the continent is always swinging in an ugly direction. We better hope that the German left learns a lot from the fact that the Greens outstripped the Neonazis in Bavaria, the heart of the Refugee situation, and the French left can take advantage of Macron and his party's outsider status and his anti-worker policies to rebrand and double-down on a pro-lower class message before LePen and her gestapo seize the initiative.

At least we have Ireland :guinness:

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 12, 2018

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yes, absolutely you should. When a potential frontrunner candidate is fatally flawed, it's smart to winnow them out earlier rather than later. Otherwise you start hearing morons in places of power bray things like "it's [his] turn."

'Electability' says a whisper on the wind, even though the word is meaningless and has no criteria beyond 'inoffensive to donors'.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is a really interesting article and I recommend reading the whole thing.

(the tldr take in the quoted post probably isn't wrong, but it grew out of an interesting series of events)

Yeah, how it happened is more complex and nuanced than just "CEO bad, sends ICE after small-time franchise owners," but that's the effective endpoint and the whole article really showcases how banal corporate greed and fundamentally corrupt institutions will inevitably produce bad outcomes regardless anyone's specific intent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still convinced that Macron's solution to fixing France's problems was that immediately upon being elected, he decided, "How can I piss voters off as much as possible?"

It sure seems like he wants to be as unpopular as possible. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he's a neoliberal business shill on steroids, but at least pretend you care about working people.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Agreed. But not sure how we can care about winnowing out Biden or Hillary or Obama or Nixon at the moment when we have a fungus in charge.

Do you have way to get rid of a fungus? That would be good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Reagan could be trained, Trump will likely forget his own name on stage and in front of a camera.

Donnie would never ever forget his most favorite t-word.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still convinced that Macron's solution to fixing France's problems was that immediately upon being elected, he decided, "How can I piss voters off as much as possible?"

It sure seems like he wants to be as unpopular as possible. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since he's a neoliberal business shill on steroids, but at least pretend you care about working people.

he also says dumb racists poo poo which piss off the progressives. germany at least to have some safeguards but france is hosed.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Otteration posted:

Agreed. But not sure how we can care about winnowing out Biden or Hillary or Obama or Nixon at the moment when we have a fungus in charge.

Do you have way to get rid of a fungus? That would be good.

The only legal way at this point is to vote him out, by running a non-lovely candidate. We are almost certainly not going to get rid of him through impeachment. If you care about getting Trump out of office, you will care about the 2020 primaries, because that's the way.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I guess we in the US got lucky?

How are France and Germany more hosed than us right now?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Yinlock posted:

i'm not sure if "masters of war" is an apt term as mastery implies some sort of proficiency, and they were really bad at wars after starting them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mabTnMHe8

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I thought I saw an article that said Democrats did far better in Clinton/Romney districts than Obama/Trump districts nationwide.

I'm not sure I understand this, can you translate it?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

i mean, without getting too "dems bad, neoliberals are a cancer" about it, it does seem to be right out of the modern neoliberal playbook.

consider Obama: he said he absolutely would not have Wall St in his government and then immediately appointed Timothy Geithner as treasury secretary, i think even as early has his transition team.

I'm sure his defenders can come up with myriad excuses for it, but surely Macron's could too

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Otteration posted:

I guess we in the US got lucky?

How are France and Germany more hosed than us right now?
Fascist parties have been increasing in vote share in both countries the last few years. In France the final presidential matchup was between a literal fascist and a very pro-business moderate. The moderate won, but it was way closer than it should have been. Now he's super unpopular and it's not out of the question that he could lose in the next election to the fascist party. Germany I know less about as they have more parties involved and it gets more complicated, but basically people migrating into Europe from the Middle East/Africa are driving voters there towards the more right-wing parties.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Germany is seeing a meteoric rise of the center-left Green Party which isn’t the scam bullshit like the one in the US.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

The only legal way at this point is to vote him out, by running a non-lovely candidate. We are almost certainly not going to get rid of him through impeachment. If you care about getting Trump out of office, you will care about the 2020 primaries, because that's the way.

"We are almost certainly not going to get rid of him through impeachment."

Your bets are better than mine? :)

I do care about the 2020 primaries. Just not yet.

Jacob Wohl might twit again, or Hillary might poop glitter.

Too soon, while not enough effective protests happen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Otteration posted:

A Republican Senate will not vote to remove him from office, even if there is a dead girl or a live boy.

quote:

Okay, but you asked why people cared about the 2020 primaries at this point when we have an insane syphilitic shitlord in office, and I've explained it to you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fascist parties have been increasing in vote share in both countries the last few years. In France the final presidential matchup was between a literal fascist and a very pro-business moderate. The moderate won, but it was way closer than it should have been. Now he's super unpopular and it's not out of the question that he could lose in the next election to the fascist party. Germany I know less about as they have more parties involved and it gets more complicated, but basically people migrating into Europe from the Middle East/Africa are driving voters there towards the more right-wing parties.

Not to mention the pro business moderate would really prefer a full on technocracy to get around the whole 'will of the people' thing so the smart businessmen can go about their smart business of making a poo poo ton of money without being inconvenienced by the plebs. Weirdly this has resulted in more fascism, not less

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sanguinia posted:

If France and Germany are hosed than Europe is hosed, because Brexit is going to slap the UK down hard, and the rest of the continent is always swinging in an ugly direction.

Arguably Europe is hosed and has been hosed when they decided to implement the Euro as a way to enrich Germany at the expense of the periphery with no plans to equalize wealth distribution to compensate. They set themselves up for economic crisis, responded predictably with austerity, and now face a right-wing populist backlash. It's the oldest story in the book.

Except now we have global warming to contend with and instead Europe and Trump's government are too busy flipping their poo poo about immigrants and refugees.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Otteration posted:

Jacob Wohl might twit again, or Hillary might poop glitter.

Too soon, while not enough effective protests happen.

There could be a literal tape dropping tomorrow of Trump and Putin loving, Putin promising to rig voting machines to help him win, and Trump giving him a piece of paper with the American nuclear codes on it and the Republican party still would not remove him from office in the Senate.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Not to mention the pro business moderate would really prefer a full on technocracy to get around the whole 'will of the people' thing so the smart businessmen can go about their smart business of making a poo poo ton of money without being inconvenienced by the plebs. Weirdly this has resulted in more fascism, not less

Doesn't also help that Macron views himself as a monarch-in-waiting and is trying to white wash Marshal Pétain.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Your Taint posted:

There could be a literal tape dropping tomorrow of Trump and Putin loving, Putin promising to rig voting machines to help him win, and Trump giving him a piece of paper with the American nuclear codes on it and the Republican party still would not remove him from office in the Senate.

And hell, even if they did, you now have President Pence, and that feels like more of a lateral move.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And hell, even if they did, you now have President Pence, and that feels like more of a lateral move.

Pence is also a loving moron, so I doubt the'd get away with much more... at least the gaslighting would stop.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yep, and we could wonder how these parties got motivated, but I'd suggest the election of Trump is much to blame.

I guess we in the US can take the blame, and start from here and now to get rid of him.

Sorry, but that's all I got. :(

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Your Taint posted:

If everyone in America marched in protest Chuck Schumer would issue heartfelt pleas for civility and bipartisanship while the Republicans would somehow successfully stall until 2020 and demand that the election be a referendum on Trump rather than an impeachment process.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Zwabu posted:

I'm not sure I understand this, can you translate it?

Districts that voted for Romney in 2012 who voted for Clinton in 2016 vs Districts that voted for Obama in 2012 and swapped to Trump in 2016, I believe.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Otteration posted:

Yep, and we could wonder how these parties got motivated, but I'd suggest the election of Trump is much to blame.

I guess we in the US can take the blame, and start from here and now to get rid of him.

The election of Trump is more the final stages of a disease thats been incubating for decades and studiously ignored or helped along by the entire political process. Fascism doesnt just suddenly happen out of nowhere.

E: Like you could blame the gangrene for losing your foot, but its the lifetime of poor diets that led to the type 2 diabetes that then went unmanaged that led to the gangrene. And as one of the richest nations on the planet there was really no excuse for letting it fester.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 12, 2018

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Otteration posted:

The emboldening of fascist parties in Europe has been going on a lot longer than Trump has been president. Greece had a turn toward the extreme right due to their conflict with the IMF/Eurozone government over their crumbling economy and they aren't the only ones.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

I can't believe anyone ever thought it was even an option. The impeachment and Russian obsessions were embarrassingly naive from the beginning.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

a lot of people underestimate Pence. The guy is a christian fascist through and through. Kavanaugh is a result of that wing of the party, so we should take them a bit more seriously

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nah, I do believe that Trump being caught having sex with a man would be one of the few things that would shatter the chud's tiny minds. Either that or they'd all embrace homosexuality to own the libs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

I can't believe anyone ever thought was ever even an option. The impeachment and Russian obsessions were embarrassingly naive from the beginning.

a lot of people underestimate Pence. The guy is a christian fascist through and through. Kavanaugh is a result of that wing of the party, so we should take them a bit more seriously

What is the Russian obsession?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

A Republican Senate will not vote to remove him from office, even if there is a dead girl or a live boy.

Do you have a solution?

I propose gobs of protests, constantly.

All I got, but we're all looking for other options.

Majorian posted:

Okay, but you asked why people cared about the 2020 primaries at this point when we have an insane syphilitic shitlord in office, and I've explained it to you.

Just wondering about what actual action we can take about or against a "Biden" or an "Obama" running in the 2020 primary.

While there are spaces unoccupied in the streets right now agin the orange smear of poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Nah, I do believe that Trump being caught having sex with a man would be one of the few things that would shatter the chud's tiny minds. Either that or they'd all embrace homosexuality to own the libs.

Their brains only get broken if he's the bottom. Gay far-right politics are a trip.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DeathChicken posted:

They would immediately and seamlessly transition to concern trolling about "leftist homophobic bigots" quicker than you could ask who Eurasia is or if we're at war with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RaySmuckles posted:

I can't believe anyone ever thought was ever even an option. The impeachment and Russian obsessions were embarrassingly naive from the beginning.
There was a time where Trump's favorability was on a consistent downhill slope, into the low 30s in his first year, when I thought he might be impeachable if it continued. I think you could do it somewhere from 24-27% support, maybe.

But then he trended up again in January and has kinda sat there, despite the constant failures.

quote:

The least informed voters I know constantly say "Pence is worse than Trump", and I really still don't see it. Trump hates Latinos way more than Pence hates gays, he was about to be booted from Indiana, and I'm pretty sure he's just straight up dumb