Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

precision posted:

How you gonna have an updated LXG and not even mention Sally Shears/Molly Millions smdh

and Red Green as their tech guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

lol apparently that Morricone quote is total bullshit

Playboy is more trustworthy than the Daily Mail but not that much more.

I really wish proper news outlets would vet stories from other sources more thoroughly before spreading them around. I know that probably goes against the modern pageview economy, but still.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lurdiak posted:

Playboy is more trustworthy than the Daily Mail but not that much more.

I really wish proper news outlets would vet stories from other sources more thoroughly before spreading them around. I know that probably goes against the modern pageview economy, but still.

I feel like this story really only spread because a lot of people got to wring their hands in glee and echo the most simplistic and reductive criticism of Tarantino there is. Like they can point at Morricone's 'comments' and say see, we're totally right and someone important agrees with us.

Anyway, Morricone has set his lawyers off to Playboy to ask what the gently caress has happened. I'd love to see the author's justification for that piece.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

I feel like this story really only spread because a lot of people got to wring their hands in glee and echo the most simplistic and reductive criticism of Tarantino there is. Like they can point at Morricone's 'comments' and say see, we're totally right and someone important agrees with us.

Anyway, Morricone has set his lawyers off to Playboy to ask what the gently caress has happened. I'd love to see the author's justification for that piece.

I just thought it was hilarious because someone in this thread had posted an old interview with Morricone described every director he worked with as "Bellissimo."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Man it must have been an emotional rollercoaster of a morning for Tarantino, assuming his house isn’t like actively burning down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Man it must have been an emotional rollercoaster of a morning for Tarantino, assuming his house isn’t like actively burning down.

He's probably more worried about the massive fire. The writer/director of Dr. Strange Sinister shared this

https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/1061463663192760320

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Borrowed my roommates camera for some Evil Dead toy shooting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hal died.

https://twitter.com/TwitterMoments/status/1061759813523267584

You should watch 2001 if it's not a film you've seen/it has been a while.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched for the first time in IMAX this year, it was incredible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Daisy, Daaaaiiiiiisssssyyyyyy

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Kubrick cast Rain as HAL after hearing his narration for the NFB Canada short Universe, which was also an inspiration for 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gIN4hGOdI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why, in restored films from the 70s and before, does the visual quality of the film drop right as it goes into a transition between scenes? Is it because the restoration team is using different sources for each scene, is it that the original elements are lower quality because they were duplicated for the effect in the first place?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Why, in restored films from the 70s and before, does the visual quality of the film drop right as it goes into a transition between scenes? Is it because the restoration team is using different sources for each scene, is it that the original elements are lower quality because they were duplicated for the effect in the first place?

For most 35mm movies, transitions were duplicate elements so that a single strand of negative could be used to make prints. Sometimes the entire shot would be a duplicate or just when the transition started. WarnerColor and Technicolor preferred to dupe an entire shot (even if it could literally be minutes before the transition) while Deluxe and Pathe liked cutting in dupes.

Oddly enough, films shot on 65mm, VistaVision, and 16mm were usually assembled as A/B rolls, so transitions were created on the printer if they were fades or dissolves.

Another reason for quality loss is that duplicating stocks weren't as good. Technicolor could do a nice job and by the 40s B&W didn't look as bad. But look at 50s WarnerColor films and see some really awful-looking dupes. And they usually didn't save the pre-duping elements, so restorations have had to work around them.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 12, 2018

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Wow, wild how it's November and the best movie of the year is still Paddington 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

For most 35mm movies, transitions were duplicate elements so that a single strand of negative could be used to make prints. Sometimes the entire shot would be a duplicate or just when the transition started. WarnerColor and Technicolor preferred to dupe an entire shot (even if it could literally be minutes before the transition) while Deluxe and Pathe liked cutting in dupes.

Oddly enough, films shot on 65mm, VistaVision, and 16mm were usually assembled as A/B rolls, so transitions were created on the printer if they were fades or dissolves.

Another reason for quality loss is that duplicating stocks weren't as good. Technicolor could do a nice job and by the 40s B&W didn't look as bad. But look at 50s WarnerColor films and see some really awful-looking dupes. And they usually didn't save the pre-duping elements, so restorations have had to work around them.

Awesome, great explanation. Watching a 50s WarnerColor now so that tracks perfectly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s Upgrade

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Egbert Souse posted:

Speaking of, anyone seen they will not grow old yet?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm really stupid about this stuff, could you maybe add some Screenshots that show what you are talking about? Thanks!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The new DOOM game looks fuckin' wild.

https://twitter.com/OmarBaddar/status/1061477451262517249

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
@joerogan

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I Before E posted:

A few candidates for LEAGUE: 1997, with the appropriate jaundiced eye towards the 90s and its preoccupations:

Mina: Acid Burn from Hackers or Lestat
Nemo: Randolph J. "Hurricane" Spencer from Thunder In Paradise and his super speedboat, Thunder
Quatermain: Timothy Dalton Bond, who has only grown more ruthless with age
Jekyll: Tyler Durden
Invisible Man: Hollow Man
Orlando: Orlando as portrayed by Tilda Swinton works fine here
Raffles: Bodhi

Narrator/Tyler Durden is a good choice for Jekyll/Hyde but Stanley Ipkiss/The Mask is way fuckin better.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My team would probably be Agent J, Steve Hiller, Mike Lowrey, Cypher Raige, the Fresh Prince, and Jim West (desperado, rough rider, no you don’t want nada)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
My 90s League is SA Dale Cooper (rescued from the Black Lodge at some point in the mid-90s), The Mask, Léon the Professional, Jennifer Jason Leigh from Single White Female, The Unsinkable Molly Brown (who in this timeline was frozen in the iceberg and released by Bill Paxton and old Rose), and Lou Diamond Phillips as himself.

Edit: And Reginald Vel Johnson as a mash-up of the cop from Die Hard and the dad from Family Matters.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 12, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
We all know Al is a crack shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If we're going 90's I got Blade and I don't know why I need anyone else. Something where Julia Roberts played a really smart woman, and I guess John Conner because he's really good at not dyeing too early.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Horrendous and Tomb Mold are both so loving good live, holy poo poo.

Also, my 90’s league goes with both Dale Cooper and Dana Scully. Blade, too.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

If we're going 90's I got Blade and I don't know why I need anyone else. Something where Julia Roberts played a really smart woman, and I guess John Conner because he's really good at not dyeing too early.

I considered Blade too. But gosh this is fun. I'm redoing mine:

Al Pacino from Heat recruits Liu Kang, Ghost Dog, GI Jane, Frasier Crane and Blank Man to go up against... The Jackal.

The framing device is an investigative report written by Erin Brokovich.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ash is all need for 90’s skawd

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Ash is all need for 90’s skawd

As shonen protagonists go, Yu Yu Hakusho is a better choice.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
90s LXG

Blade
Buffy Summers
Samus
The Wu Tang Clan
Lisa Simpson
Michael Jordan
Tyler Durden

Organizer: The Smoking Man from the XFiles. Mission? Stop Skynet and it involves time travel and the ship from Event Horizon.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 12, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
90s LXG

The Crow
The Fugitive
Jules from Pulp Fiction
Mulder and Scully
Henry Fool
Courtney Love

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

90s LXG

Aladdin
Simba
Gadget
Baloo
Gizmo Duck
Bonkers

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

90s LXG
Baby
Sporty
Scary
Posh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I ain't matching em up with the original league thematically but for a 90s team:

Lawnmower Man
Buffy
Robin Williams from Flubber
Will Hunting
Bill Murray from Groundhog Day (that movie is from the 90s?)
Goliath from Gargoyles
Bibleman

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Batman
Wolverine
Gambit
Storm
Ghost Rider
Venom

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gatts posted:

90s LXG

Blade
Buffy Summers
Samus
The Wu Tang Clan
Lisa Simpson
Michael Jordan
Tyler Durden

Organizer: The Smoking Man from the XFiles. Mission? Stop Skynet and it involves time travel.

I don't know what the rules are for this game, but claiming the entire Wu Tang Clan as one slot has to violate it. That's more people than the rest of your team combined.

I'm sticking with Blade, Smart Julia Roberts (Pelican Brief, she was a paralegal in that who survived several attempts at her life) and John Connors.

Buffy is redundant if you have Blade, Samus is a videogame character who lives in the future, Lisa Simpson is a cartoon character, Michael Jordan is the second best basketball player ever but isn't really good at anything else, Tyler Durden is just a bad team player.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Homer Simpson
Scorpion
Sonic The Hedgehog
Chester Cheetah
Detective John Kimble

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Michael Jordan is the second best basketball player ever but isn't really good at anything else

Michael Jordan is best friends with Bill Murray and Bugs Bunny and that has to count for something. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Michael Jordan is best friends with Bill Murray and Bugs Bunny and that has to count for something. :colbert:

Michael Jordan is famous for two things, being a huge dick and being almost as good as Lebron James at Basketball.