Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have never liked him. His shtick is not funny.

Barbrady was an idiot adult who happened to be a cop in a town full of idiot adults and it was endearing.

Yates seems to be Matt and Trey's parody of a gritty detective from a late 90s or early 2000s cop show and would probably have been better served as a one-off character. They made him simultaneously too intelligent and too grating all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, as much as I love Butter’s Bottom Botch, Yates making GBS threads a gallon of jizz into an evidence baggie and then limping back to his car is probably the grossest thing in the series run, tied with a pressurized Kenny slimily squeezing out of the bus driver’s vagina

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Wait, if people are just leaving them wherever, how do the batteries ever get charged?

And I can't be the only one here who noticed that we got an episode referencing climate change right after one criticizing companies offering an environmentally friendly means of getting around. Sure, it's arguably not okay to just drop a bunch of scooters all over the place and rent them out to any idiot with a credit card. Mr. Mackey's comment of "Just drive a car" is probably not the appropriate response to that.

Is this a joke post? I can't tell anymore. Electric engines are not environmentally friendly, you're just having an electric company do all the combustion for you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

Is this a joke post? I can't tell anymore. Electric engines are not environmentally friendly, you're just having an electric company do all the combustion for you.

Yeah you dumbasses, it's not like its easier to reduce emissions at the power plant level or use renewable energy, in fact power plants are just big car engines they pour gas into that generates exactly the same amount of pollution.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol I bet you think recycling is doing any good

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah you dumbasses, it's not like its easier to reduce emissions at the power plant level or use renewable energy, in fact power plants are just big car engines they pour gas into that generates exactly the same amount of pollution.

Don't forget that an electric scooter uses something like 1/20th as much energy to go a given distance as even a small car.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2018

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
You idiots think bicycles are environmentally friendly, but since you consume more calories if you're bicycling you're just causing more environmental damage in the form of increased agriculture. Checkmate, cyclists!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plus, all the farts the riders are producing and huffing are contributing a ton of greenhouse gasses

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

lol I bet you think recycling is doing any good

Do you have anything close to a number to back any of this up or do you exist to say "good thing is bad thing because I say so"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Sir this is a South Park thread

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cockmaster posted:

Wait, if people are just leaving them wherever, how do the batteries ever get charged?

And I can't be the only one here who noticed that we got an episode referencing climate change right after one criticizing companies offering an environmentally friendly means of getting around. Sure, it's arguably not okay to just drop a bunch of scooters all over the place and rent them out to any idiot with a credit card. Mr. Mackey's comment of "Just drive a car" is probably not the appropriate response to that.

The "Just drive a car thing" was pretty dumb, especially the jokes about how non-car people kept hitting the car people, because yes THAT'S the problem. But that's just South Park.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

Do you have anything close to a number to back any of this up or do you exist to say "good thing is bad thing because I say so"

Google “New Jersey Recycling Landfill” and reflect on how good things can often be smokescreens for municipal corruption.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My personal pet peeve experience with scooters is people leave them all over the sidewalk, making it quite difficult for people in wheelchairs to get by. Big picture, public transit infrastructure is the future and these little bursts of capitalist intervention to the transportation crisis are not revolutionary or particularly interesting. But I'm also really trying to avoid having another big argument in the South Park thread cuz it happens every 3 pages

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Scooters sounds extremely Timmy & Jimmy. Philly has E-Bikes which were a big deal and became normalized over the course of a single summer. A big part of that is the accountability being tied to your card meant you can’t just ditch them in the streets without eating $300 bucks, so it was manageable.

If it was literally just people leaving them all over the sidewalk I’d just dumpster them myself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

Check out how the recycling business actually works some time if you want to have your mind blown

Especially how the whole craze essentially got invented out of fake data by a guy to boost his recycling business

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

South Park Studios posted:

AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF SOUTH PARK PREMIERES ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 14 AT 10:00 P.M. ET/PT ON COMEDY CENTRAL

——–
All-New Season 22 Episodes will be Available to Stream in HD
Exclusively on SouthPark.cc.com and Hulu
——–

NEW YORK, November 12, 2018 – ManBearPig continues to terrorize South Park in an all-new episode titled, “Nobody Got Cereal?”, airs on Wednesday, November 14 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central. The boys break out of jail and are on the run from the police and ManBearPig. Satan steps up to help the boys and the rest of the citizens of South Park.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Why did Yates think the kids were the "school shooters"? Some sort of metaphor the writers were trying to telegraph about the overall episode? He hadn't played enough PLAY RDR2, NOW IN STORES!?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Other children said the fat ugly mean kid and the detached loner poor kid were most likely to rage and shoot up the school.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Yates is very incompetent.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He just wanted to get the job done, and someone had to be guilty. The joke is gently caress solving a complicated problem like climate change when I need to get home and play video games, damnit

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I took it to mean that "school shootings are normal now and they happen all the time," and thus being school kids they must be shooters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe he knew they were the main characters

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why did Yates think the kids were the "school shooters"? Some sort of metaphor the writers were trying to telegraph about the overall episode? He hadn't played enough PLAY RDR2, NOW IN STORES!?

Was this literally the first episode of the season you watched?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The product placement criticism is dumb. We've had a good dozen episodes where they talked about something popular and it's just as hit or miss as anything else. Also I doubt they actually got paid for their promotion of RDR2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There have been a bunch of episodes where they talk about whatever new video game

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Pretty sure it's as simple as them being into video games

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PaybackJack posted:

The product placement criticism is dumb. We've had a good dozen episodes where they talked about something popular and it's just as hit or miss as anything else. Also I doubt they actually got paid for their promotion of RDR2.

Honestly, I find that hard to believe. Matt and Trey are businessmen and I'm sure they are well aware of the power South Park has for advertising. I would find it VERY difficult to think that they don't have a team (or Comedy Central) that spends time reaching out to companies for product placement.

It's certainly not the first time clear product placement has been used on the show, and it certainly won't be the last. (Occupy Red Robin for example)

Also, it's literally part of the media, and you're dumb to get upset about it. drat near every popular TV show is going to have some paid product placement in it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Then there's stuff like the one where Cartman really wants a Wii, where Sony had paid for a whole shitload of ads during South Park.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think it's mostly "what is the current thing everybody's doing or talking about, let's work that into this show we're making in a week".

You guys aren't getting it, Yates is Trey and Matt. They didn't want to do a show last week, they just wanted to play Red Dead Redemption 2.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or the literal 3-episode arc about Xbox vs PS4 for Christmas, which is definitely extremely good.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, I find that hard to believe. Matt and Trey are businessmen and I'm sure they are well aware of the power South Park has for advertising. I would find it VERY difficult to think that they don't have a team (or Comedy Central) that spends time reaching out to companies for product placement.

It's certainly not the first time clear product placement has been used on the show, and it certainly won't be the last. (Occupy Red Robin for example)

Also, it's literally part of the media, and you're dumb to get upset about it. drat near every popular TV show is going to have some paid product placement in it.

I didn't take the Red Robin reference as intentional product placement, I thought it was pretty clear they needed to use it to set up the Red [Robin] Wedding subplot. What other restaurant name could they have used instead?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Then there's stuff like the one where Cartman really wants a Wii, where Sony had paid for a whole shitload of ads during South Park.

Say what you will about Towelie, but that episode got me to buy an Okama Gamesphere! :colbert:

Bust Rodd posted:

Or the literal 3-episode arc about Xbox vs PS4 for Christmas, which is definitely extremely good.

Didn't that set up the Stick of Truth though?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Guys they love video games ok

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atomizer posted:

I didn't take the Red Robin reference as intentional product placement, I thought it was pretty clear they needed to use it to set up the Red [Robin] Wedding subplot. What other restaurant name could they have used instead?

Say what you will about Towelie, but that episode got me to buy an Okama Gamesphere! :colbert:

Fun fact, Okama is a (possibly derogatory) Japanese word for crossdresser/drag queen.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Atomizer posted:

Yep. The whole thing was a setup for the single reason why the kids are at war for a stick. And it included a lot of great jokes about never pre-ordering games. But really:

Donovan Trip posted:

Guys they love video games ok

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Red Lobster.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Red Lobster.

Fair enough. So we have two(?) possible restaurant names (incidentally, I've been to neither chain) for them to use in their Red Wedding parody, and if they use either one they'll get accusations of product placement instead of just picking a pop culture reference (kinda) for convenience.

(I think "Red Robin Wedding" sounds a little better than Red Lobster, personally; it's a little more alliterative I guess. :shrug:)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Some product placement bothers me and some doesn't. In this case I feel like it makes it funnier. The whole thrust of the gag is that people sound like they're talking about serious problems but then you find out they're actually talking about something mundane: a video game they're playing. The fact that it's a real game that many in the audience are also playing makes it feel that much more commonplace and unremarkable. If they invented a fake game it would add an unnecessary extra layer to the joke which would actually make it slightly less funny IMO.

An example of product placement that does bother me is the various car ads they did in New Girl. The most egregious was in the Superbowl episode (which was otherwise awesome because it had Prince in like his only TV cameo ever, at his own request). For no real reason they brought up the fact that the car had a feature where you can touch the bumper to open the trunk, and then they showed a close-up of the character doing that. And then they moved on.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, product placement just for the sake of marketing/merchandising is pretty despising, but if the products are legitimately part of the show/movie and it all fits together (e.g. the characters were going to use that thing anyway) then that's acceptable.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Fair enough. So we have two(?) possible restaurant names (incidentally, I've been to neither chain) for them to use in their Red Wedding parody, and if they use either one they'll get accusations of product placement instead of just picking a pop culture reference (kinda) for convenience.

(I think "Red Robin Wedding" sounds a little better than Red Lobster, personally; it's a little more alliterative I guess. :shrug:)

Yeah, I don't actually think it was product placement, just playing devil's advocate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It does suck when the product placement is disrupting the organic flow of the story but that falls on the writer/director/producer.

The problem I have is that most arguments against product placement come from people who aren't engaged with or fans of the product in the first place. Apple people bitching about Android placement, people complaining about the inclusion of references to a tv show they don't watch, or in the case of the people I see on Twitter complaining about RDR2 all happen to be Switch or PC people.

I guess it isn't really shocking that people only care about stuff insofar as it affects them but the product placement argument always comes off as so disingenuous and transparent.