Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I suspect Torri is not gonna escalate much further than this, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
~Update 9: It'll take a lot more than words and guns; A whole lot more than riches and muscle~

All of the housekeeping is done, so let's close the book on Chapter 3. There were a few developments, like the Disciple-Monster thing, or Alec becoming a bro, but overall this was a relatively quiet chapter. A little shorter than usual as well.

So it's time to get marching towards actual story progress.

Greed is our third Labyrinth, and it's... hold on a second... what?

quote:

Let me tell you about this new Labyrinth. The new Dusk Circle is relatively far from both the mainland and this island.

It's right there you dumbass! You could probably spot it on the horizon with binoculars, or a telescope! We don't know the exact size of Aterra as a planet, but under no scale would that be considered "relatively far". What, does the Savage only travel in one direction? Does it need to circumnavigate the planet in order to reach that Labyrinth?

I hate you so much Ruby...so very very much...

Ignoring that for a second, I want to point out that I haven't completed either of the Sub-Labyrinths here, yet. Technically I did do the first one, since it's where we find Sagitta, but Wind Tunnel here is completely untouched.

If memory serves me, no new Sub-Labyrinths open up in Chapter 4, so I'm going to save Wind Tunnel for then.

Releasing Control Art Restriction Systems...

Level 7!

Eh... it sounds cool, but also kind of wordy.

Your turn, Chloe.

Is this truly necessary?

The kids really like it. Come on, just try.

Say it! Say it! Say it!

Okay, okay. I'll try it. Just this once.

Kaioken!

Hey, what does that word mean, anyway?

I don't know. I just thought it would work because of the aura the hero gets. Only thing I could find that matches your red scheme.

-Greed Labyrinth-

Yeah, we got in without issue. You on your own today?

I'm here.

I've been officially approved to monitor you in the Labyrinths.

It would be great if I had time to sit in front of the monitor all day, but I don't.

I want you all to keep this part in mind for when Chapter 4 kicks off.

If something happens, I'm supposed to contact the Chief about it.

Works for me. I'd rather you than her.

I'm still listening you know.

Yes, I do know that. I hate you. That's the point.

Fair enough.

Just before we start the operation, Chlotz has something for us, on the down low.

What is it?

Well, just to be honest with you... Mark's research team has already entered that Labyrinth before you guys.

Excuse me?

Because this is a new Labyrinth, they say they may make some new discoveries. I mean, I was against them going in. ...But, nobody will listen to what an assistant has to say.

Of course they won't listen to you, they're morons. I can't believe they gave me all that poo poo about being reckless, and then they go and pull this poo poo.

So Mark and his team are still in here somewhere?

Yeah, but... it's past their planned return time, but they still haven't come back. Mark's team can't use their Star Energy, so they can't communicate with us. The Chief says they're fine and just running late, but I'm worried.

Keep this part in mind for waaay later in the game.

Those stupid bastards.

We have to go save them, Wake. We can't abandon them.

Yeah, I know.

We'll try and find them.

Okay kids, listen up! Temporary change of plans. Because I kind of like Mark, this is now a rescue mission to save his rear end!

Can we make it a Lightspeed Rescue?

No. I don't like him that much.

New objective. Mark is stupid and we need to save him and his stupid team, or at least report their deaths so AngelMarker will know what to put on their tombstones.

First off, I should mention that Chloe is rocking her default outfit. Opinion was divided on her costume color scheme, so I'll just switch between the black and white whenever she is brought along for a dungeon (assuming I remember).

Second, there are a few quest enemies roaming around here. If you picked up the corresponding quest, that is.

I believe this quest is in relation to killing a certain number of those Recksaless in the back there.

More importantly, we've got new enemies. Monoceros is a lot like the bear guys we saw in the previous Labyrinths. They've got a lot of health and no magic of any kind. Monoceros have excessive defense though.

This will be a reoccurring theme in this Labyrinth, one that I am not actually prepared for. That is partially because of you guys and partially because I'm lazy.

Here's something I forgot to point out that I said I would ages ago. Remember how I said map enemies can pull real dick moves later on?

It's a little hard to see since I had to capture it mid-motion, but look at that enemy in the upper left, just above the treasure chest. See how he's facing?

Sometimes when you enter the room, enemies will automatically move into certain positions. In this case, this little bastard has blocked a door in the room, meaning we have to beat him to go through it.

Enemies do this with a bunch of things. Sometimes they go for doors, other times they go straight for treasure chests and will circle it if you try and move around them, and sometimes multiple enemies will move into a combination of those positions.

I've entered rooms before where enemies blocked every unopened door. It's really irritating. Jerks.

We also get a message from Torri while we're in here. Let's have a gander.

I'm trying the communication device for the first time. I don't really like using things like these... But if I can talk to you even when you're far away, it's worth learning how to use. Is the Labyrinth really tough? Are you okay without me being there? What kind of snacks do you like? It's my turn this time to give you some snacks. I'll have tons of snacks ready, so let's eat them together when you get back. Mmm... just thinking of it is getting me excited. I'm wiping away my drool right now. I'll be jittering back and forth while waiting for you to come back. Bye bye. - Torri

Someone please get that girl a responsible guardian.

We start running into the guys from the first Sub-Labyrinth as well. The ones that acted as a boss stand-in.

They actually hit pretty hard with their elemental spells, although that might be due to a lack of MDF on our part (I know Team A(wful) is definitely lacking in MDF). They also have Stare of Death, which means you can't run from them.

:3: Like mother, like daughter.

I skip most of the enemies in this place. They are still dropping pitiful EXP and I'm still killing them in one or two hits. The first few floors mostly have a lot of the Monoceros guys.

The Floor 5 portal tells us that a powerful presence is hanging out there. I guess that must be Mark and his team. Let's see what they've gotten themselves into.

Dammit! I am not dying like this!

Chlotz, we found them!

This is bad! I need to let Chief Ruby know at once!

Get back, Mark!

Alright, listen up, Wake. It seems those guys can use powerful fire spells. But they've got poison attacks, too, so be careful!

Way to be helpful, Chlotz. Glad to have you take over from Ruby. I mean, I'm not going to be putting any of that info to use, but the thought is appreciated.

Laboratos is a new enemy that will start appearing now, although in this case he's acting as a mini-boss. He's a quick little bugger and he's got some hefty HP behind him.

That being said, he suffers from the same thing every enemy in this game suffers from, limited skill pool. He can Poison you, and he comes with two of those Magic Attack focused Fornax enemies, so if you want an honest to god strategy from me then just dump on him and deal with the Fornaxs' after.

Alternatively, since you automatically start by surrounding him, have some of your teams break off to take out the Fornaxs' while one of the teams keeps Laboratos busy. Turtle up by using Defend, and when the Fornax are dealt with then you can have everyone surround and wail on him.

Not sure what to tell you guys. The difficulty kind of picks up in this Labyrinth, but if you've done the bare minimum of exploring/grinding/Star Child raising, then your go-to strategy will almost never go beyond 'everyone gang up and hit it as hard as you can'. Plan B is always 'have the BP before a boss to MECUNITE'. It's hard to give an involved strategy when most everything dies within 5 turns.

Case in point, let's go ahead and hit this thing with Chloe's Seventh Burst.

Chloe has her Bits/Funnels/DRAGOONs attack the enemy while Wake rushes in and gets some blade beams in.

This proceeds to wreck Laboratos' poo poo.

With him down, it's just a matter of picking off the Fornax, who are at opposite ends of the field. Team B and Team A(wful) take out one.

While OG Team A(wful) shows that they are still a force to be reckoned with.

Why are you here, Mark?

We didn't intend to come this deep, but we couldn't help it...

This Labyrinth is so intriguing. We've been gathering an immense amount of data here. It's filled with monsters that we've never encountered before.

Wake...?

Mark!

Yo, Chlotz. Are you keeping these guys company?

I'm just glad you're okay.

Mark, are you all right?

Yes, we're not hurt at all.

All of you can take your thanks and shove it up your asses. Mark, coming into a Labyrinth that just formed is stupid. None of you can fight and none of you can communicate with the outside. You're all leaving, now.

We'll head back once we've investigated here a little while longer.

I'm not saving you again.

You can't mean that.

We're here to do something important, Chloe. Not to act as babysitters for a bunch of drat tourists. I don't have time for this garbage from Ruby, or Mark, or anyone.

Sorry, but this is our job. Like the Chief said before: we can't just let you Disciples head into danger alone. And, once we're done, hopefully we'll all be able to investigate more safely.

What are you talking about?

It's still a secret, though.

Right, so it's all for your little science experiments. Forgive me if I don't shake your hand in gratitude.

Well, we're going to head that way. I'm praying for your success. See you!

For your sake, I hope that Star God really likes you, because if you get attacked again then you're all dead.

Everyone at the research lab is pretty much like him... They're worse than children.

Might want to watch it with those comparisons, dude. They can hear you.

Uncle Chlotz must be diss...dissip...

It's pronounced "disciplined".

Dis-ci-plined. Uncle Chlotz must be disciplined.

Yes. He must learn.

Don't worry about it. You're just hearing things. We're getting back to our main objective.

Be careful.

Awesome, so now Mark and his band of merry morons are wandering around active Dusk Circles taking pictures for their science fair project. I notice Ruby is sitting nice and cozy back at the lab. No problem gambling other people's lives, but gently caress risking her own neck.

Back to what we were doing. We've got another quest enemy here, Lacerta. Similar to the Laboratos we just fought, except it doesn't have the same speed or HP. Nothing to it.

We also get upgraded versions of the weird cannon spiders from the first dungeon. They have a recovery spell and basic magic attack. Their basic attack is a spread shot that can hit two zones, to their left and front (possibly the right side as well, I didn't have a team there at the time), so be aware of that.

On the way to Floor 8, where the boss is, we run into a special treat with this Trap Chest.

This crazy looking guy is Regred. He has a chance to spawn from Trap Chests, you can't run from him, and he's a step above the other enemies around here. He has good ATK, DEF, and MAT. He also has some magic and decent SPD. His HP total is also way above anything else around here.

If you go all out, you might be able to take him down before he can do much. Waiting out his relatively low MP pool is not the best option, since he'll likely mix it up with physical attacks that could hit just as hard. Just go with the tried and true method, using your strongest skills to kill as fast as possible.

Finding these guys are a stroke of luck to be honest. You get great EXP from them, which is nice if you aren't (or can't) using the DLC quests.

Team A(wful) gets a level up as a reward, which now puts them on par with their predecessors. Current Team A(wful) have higher level caps though, so they still have room for growth.

Fuuko sends us a message as well. As you can see, this can happen outside of battles as well. Might as well read it. We read Torri's after all. It's only fair.

I'm actually in the city with some friends right now. I just found a place that has the best croquettes. I'll tell you where it is, so you should go there when you get the chance. The breading is so crisp, but the inside is so juicy. My friend says that the hamburger cutlet and the chicken are really good.

So glad to know that Fuuko is out having fun and eating good food with friends while her other friends are roaming through hell, trying to save the world.

And I'm hungry now...

Oh... and, P.S. That friend said that she wants to hang out with you sometime...

Wake is slowly amassing his own group of fangirls. It's about time.

Oh, and another thing. I'm sure you're in the Labyrinth right now. I'm not with you today, but I'll be rooting for you. I'm... also very worried about you. Well, see you later. Sincerely, Fuuko.

I imagine Fuuko saying that last part while her mouth is full of delicious food. "I sho worred abou you. I 'ith I was 'ere."

Anyway, moving on. We get a palette swapped Monoceros that looks like a real mean dude. DEF is still crazy high, HP is higher, exact same strategy, and exact same problem I noticed at the start of the dungeon.

I run into a second Regred after this battle. Either they aren't as rare as I thought, or I just got real lucky.

Finally, at Floor 9, we get to the boss. These dungeons are getting longer and longer. Up to now you probably wouldn't have any trouble going straight through a dungeon in one run. From this point on though, you're probably going to start getting bored and stopping halfway through, then finishing the dungeon some other time. Running a 10+ Floor dungeon in a single go is pretty dull. I should remind you, the last dungeon in this game has around 25 Floors. Ugh.

Some users in the thread have already figured out the entire boss line up, so Mammon here isn't a surprise. The Labyrinths being named after the Seven Deadly Sins is probably obvious to everyone reading this. However, possibly lesser known among readers, Mammon is the 'Prince' of Greed as classified by Bishop Peter Binsfeld in the 16th century. He tried to classify demons using the Seven Deadly Sins and basing it off of an even older classification called The Lanterne of Light.

Ah, Fanfiction. Timeless.

I think we've found the Dusk Spawner.

Yeah, looks like it. But from what I can tell... Not only does this one increase its Defense, but it makes it harder to perform Chains. Don't spend a lot of time on this one. Finish it off as quickly as you can!

So the exact same approach we take to everything we fight. Got it.

Wake, slay that monster and you'll be able to sterilize this Circle. Make sure you do your best.

loving duh, Ruby. Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

This monster's just looks! This is gonna be a breeze!

Well aren't you the confident one? Come on, kids! You heard the lady!

And now we get to my major problem for this fight/dungeon. Mammon's DEF is nuts, and his HP is equally tough. He's a brick wall. Magic seems to be the way to go with him.

Unfortunately, none of my current teams possess anything in the way of offensive Magic. I have somehow ended up with 3 Physical oriented teams.

Part of this is that I have no control over what classes you guys put in to Team A(wful).

Team's B and C are entirely my fault though. I chose to run the Team C experiment knowing that they don't have attack magic, then I sleep-walked through Team B's creation and didn't put any thought into their abilities.

None of that will matter. Original Team A(wful), despite being created back in Chapter 1 and having been level capped since Chapter 2, are still hitting for +2000 damage with attack skills. Current Team A(wful) are not exactly slouches in that respect either.

For his part, Mammon can hit for about 800 damage using physical attacks and Magic attacks. Both of these can get a little more dicey if the team he hits has crappy MDF or DEF. Team B has the highest MDF for example, and they still took this fire element attack for close to 900. That would have loving hurt Team's A and C.

You may actually have to use healing stuff in battle, is what I'm trying to say. First time for everything.

Also, I have no idea what Chlotz is smoking. Possibly the same thing that Ruby and Mark are, I guess.

Despite Chlotz' line about this guy not letting us Chain him, he is completely open to being chained.

Hell, I even score my highest Chain count so far on this guy. Enemies like Mammon, with lots of health or high defenses, are the only ones you even have much of a shot at chaining. Most regular enemies will die just in the process of setting up the chain.

Regardless, here is what Mammon rewards us with. Honestly, the Speed Fruit is the most valuable reward on that screen right now. That's a permanent +10 Speed for Wake. Good stuff.

Alright!

Well done!

And that's all she wrote for Greed. Overall, the difficulty did spike a little bit and that boss does pose a decent threat. Although you have to keep in mind that I went up against him in the entirely incorrect way. If you're playing through on your own, then you might want to make sure you have some kind of Magic Offense.

-Laboratory-

Let me thank you once more for saving us, too.

Can't you at least wait until the drat things are sterilized before going in there?

Time won't wait. If we kept postponing our work like that, we'd be the ones paying for it later.

So instead you rush in like idiots? I hope AngelMarker has good life insurance.

Don't worry, the company doesn't think that this is the best situation for us, either. Parts that need improving will be improved. We're just caught mid-cycle right now.

Still, the fruits of our labor are worth putting ourselves in harm's way. That Labyrinth has Dark Crystals of even greater purity.

Yes, it'll be a significant step forward.

I know what they're talking about. But it's top secret, so I'd be skinned alive if I told anyone about it.

Yeah, great. More vague references to your research and super secret projects.

Whatever, I don't care. You've all been warned about keeping secrets from me, so if whatever it is you're working on fucks me over then I'll kill all of you myself. Do you have anything else for me? Something that I might actually care about?

Well, actually...

From our comparisons of the three Circles we've seen, we've reached a conclusion. The Circles that activated later have stronger monsters and Dusk Energy inside.

I already know that, Ruby. Are you going somewhere with this?

And if it continues at this pace... There's a high probability that another nearby Circle Seed will become active soon. In other words, the remaining Circle Seeds will turn into Labyrinths in series.

Yes, we've already discussed that. Is there a gas leak in here or something? Are the two of you high right now? What's going on?

I wish we could at least spend our school lives in peace, though.

You seem to be enjoying it a little too much, Chlotz. That's what Chloe said.

Seriously, what the hell was the second half of that conversation? We already discussed these possibilities back in Update 4. Ruby was present for it. We were told that the Circle Seeds are gathering Dusk from the surrounding area, the worse the Circle the longer it will take to activate, and Fuuko questioned what would happen if all the Seeds activated at once.

None of what Ruby just said should come as much of a shock. Hell, Wake should know better than anyone that monsters are getting stronger with each new Circle, he's fighting the drat things!

The end of the chapter introduces a mechanic that will be available later, but it also ends a little abruptly. Chapter 3 itself kind of feels like a filler chapter if I'm being honest.

So, since I still have quite a bit of room left in this update, we're going to get caught up on some sub-events that have been skipped over. We start with Luce. It only feels fair that we check in on the poor girl after that monster Disciple event. See if she's feeling better now that she's had some time to process.

-Hallway-

Oh, Wake, hello. How are you?

Hey, Luce. Listen, I've been kind of busy lately, so I wanted to get the chance to tell you that I'm sorry about what happened to your classmate.

It's very painful to see the flower placed on his desk every day... Why did he transform into a monster?

He seemed so happy... And I know he had ambitions for his life... He might even have joined the Elite class after the next Qualifying Exam...

I still can't believe that happened to him...

I know it's hard. I think everyone involved in that incident was made a victim to some extent. Alec, especially.

I think so too...

Yeah, that's all we can do. In the mean time, we all need to work hard to get to the bottom of this. We can't let that happen again.

And hey, feel free to come and talk to me if it ever starts to get to you. I know I'm kind of a jackass sometimes, but I've suffered loss before, so I know that talking to someone about it helps. It's never going to be easy, but it can at least be tolerable.

Thank you, I will.

Luce seems to be coping okay. Between Chlotz and Wake, I'm sure she'll be just fine. Emotional support doesn't seem to be Alec's 'thing', but maybe he's also helping her, in his own way.

Next up is Mark. We need to dig a little more on this whole Dusk Crystal thing, considering Ruby and Mark keep messing around with them and that seems like a poor idea at best.

-Laboratory-

Mark? Can I talk to you about something?

Sure, I can spare a second. What is it?

It's about the Dark Crystals you guys keep playing with. Ruby had me bring back one as a sample, I can sort of understand that considering the purity had never been seen before. However, you guys said that the use of those things is outlawed by the government. Wouldn't AngelMarker take issue with you and your team wandering into a Labyrinth to collect more of them?

Well, this laboratory IS part of AngelMarker Industries... We're permitted to extract material from the Dusk Circles for research purposes.

Kinda seems like there would still be government oversight of that though. I don't think they'd allow unfettered access to Dusk Circles and for a corporation to just extract whatever banned materials they wanted.

Consider this... A Dark Crystal is basically solidified Dusk Energy. Since Dusk is one of the six elements that govern our world... The government admits that there is a certain value in researching it.

The real question is how we should use it. And we can't really answer that question until we understand Dusk Energy better.

We don't really know how to fully utilize that power. It's hard to discuss because even the word "Dusk" scares people these days.

I understand if you have mixed feelings about this... You lost your family to those monsters. It must look like we want to control them.

I can admit that you do have some points. You need to know your enemy in order to beat them.

But just remember, "Nothing good can come when a man's grasp exceeds his means."

I bet you have been waiting to turn those words back on me for quite some time.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel really good.

Finally, as much as I might not want to, we have to check in with Ruby. This event will be mildly important to me when I do Ruby's character analysis, since it gives us some history on her.

-Laboratory-

You can count on me.

Was that Enzea I just saw?

Oh, hello there. Yes, he stops by from time to time if he needs some work done. I guess it means he trusts me.

I guess?

He offered me this position himself back when I did research for the government. And the top brass were none too pleased with that fact. As a result, there's a rumor that a bidding war broke out over me.

They were that desperate to get you?

I'm simply impossible to ignore.

Riiight. And yet you're still single. How about that?

Don't be an rear end.

Well, why aren't you with Enzea then? You two seemed pretty sickeningly close that time Torri ran off.

That's...well...hm...

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Enzea with a woman...

I am not going to get caught speculating about that.

Ruby Coiler, ladies and gentleman. If a guy isn't drooling over her, then he must be gay. Or Wake. Those are the only two possible explanations.

Anyway, we now move on to something... different. Okay, maybe not that different. There's a tiny bit of a common thread I suppose.

-Laboratory-

Alright, I'm here. So--

Where is everyone?

Chlotz, the fanfare please.

Right... *Ahem* Bum ba-da baaaaa! The research lab has developed a tool to support Classmating: the Mate-o-tron!

"Mate-o-tron"...?

Oh God dammit, I see where this is going...

Our astounding research has brought something to light. We've discovered the ability to Classmate two male Disciples with high Star Energy.

*sigh* Yeah, I figured as much.

Okay, so you can theoretically use two Male Disciples. We still need a Female Disciple for it to work. So why isn't anyone here?

He's right. The ritual involves pouring a male's Ether into a female's Star Womb.

Normally, yes, but with enough study, we have reached a new conclusion.

This is because male Disciples have an enhanced ability to receive Ether. That's why we created a machine that will act as an artificial Star Womb. With this, male Disciples should in theory be able to perform Classmating, as well.

Doesn't that sound great!?

So not only are you messing with the elements of Nature, you're messing around in Star God's territory now, too?

Do you have the Church's approval for these developments?

The Church understands the necessity of creating Star Children. Is that enough?

That's a 'no', then. So why did you call us here?

To be test subjects, of course. We aren't close to completing this project yet.

The God's Gift, the Academy top S Ranked Disciple, and a boy with a genius sister. Those are a fair sampling, wouldn't you say?

I'll need you to perform it with each other. The more data we can get, the better.

So why are you so stoked about this?

I'm an assistant in this research, so I need to see it through.

...Besides, I was told I was going to get a bonus with my next paycheck! Let's do this!

So we're getting paid for this, huh? Okay, you have a small amount of my interest now.

Chlotz will be getting paid because he is an AngelMarker employee. You two won't receive a dime.

gently caress you, Ruby. Money in my pocket or this isn't happening.

*sigh* Fine. You will be compensated for your involvement.

You just had to mention your paycheck to him, didn't you?

Ahaha...sorry about that...

Well, now that that's taken care of, I'm willing to try this out. Don't be too rough on me.

Yeah, same to you. This isn't anything difficult, so let's get on with it.

I can't believe the both of you...

You're still going to do it though, aren't you?

Going with the 'duty' angle, huh?

That's right.

Let's get going and prepare for the ritual. You can go change over there.

I have no idea what Ruby is referring to. I don't remember there being any mention of special ceremonial Classmating clothes or uniform or dress. None of the characters ever wear something different for Classmating, it's always their uniforms.

Maybe Ruby was just hoping that the guys would be confused and just walk out in the boxers or something.

-Ritual Hall-

Is everyone ready? I'm sure you're a little nervous since this is new, but I wish you all luck.

Do NOT enjoy this.

Too late.

As you can probably tell by the fact that this gets a cutscene, Classmanting will indeed be a gameplay mechanic.

There's even some floating neon character model things, but the guys don't get any suggestive posing or even a full body shot, just the hands.

I don't mind fan-service, to a certain extent anyway (certainly not Senran Kagura levels). I want equal opportunity, though. Shame on you Conception II. Shame on you for not having the balls to give the dudes the same weird cringey treatment. :colbert:

Oh, right, Classmanting itself. Classmanting is something we will eventually be able to do, but not quite yet. It's still a ways off, but to quickly summarize:

Classmanting is a Network Feature that lets your MC Classmate with other players MC's. Star Children made this way have better stats, but lower Level Caps. So they'll be stronger right away, but their usefulness will eventually drop off because they'll hit a level cap earlier.

I think I'm remembering that correctly. We'll get a tutorial card when it comes time to open the feature. If we open it, anyway. I have no idea if I will be able to show it off, to be honest. The Steam version of this game may have disabled this feature due to it involving online functionality.

...My head hurts. Is that one of the effects of the experiment?

Hrgh... Mine too... Could it be because I did something wrong?

Well done, everyone! That concludes today's experiment. We couldn't make any Star Children, but we were able to gather some substantial data. I hope you'll cooperate again another time.

As long as I get paid. I'm sure as hell not doing that for charity.

So that was something. As I pointed out, it's going to take some more experimenting before this bears fruit (assuming you are playing the handheld version anyway). We'll stick a pin in this for now.

-Heroes' Grave-

That certainly was... different.

I'll admit, it was kind of interesting.

You think so? ...Well, I guess I enjoyed the novelty of it.

It must be because we're all friends now. I doubt it would have produced any kind of result otherwise.

Okay, cool your jets. Don't make me take that back.

And that brings an end to Chapter 3. How heartwarming, and also kinda weird. Mostly heartwarming though.

Next time, we get started on Chapter 4 and finally get to say hello to the final party member. Our team will be complete, story stuff happens, new Fort City features become available, it's going to be a fun time all around.

At least until I force you guys to vote on the heroines again. Then it's going to be fun times for some people and sad times for others.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
I see AngelMarker will be our Umbrella Corporation for this game.

I mean, their Dark Crystal experiments don't have to create a horrific monster that will kill us all, but we have a Dusk Element heroine already scheduled to join us so they're going to create a horrific monster that will kill us all rather than Ellie except Dusk. It's part of the natural order but you disrupt the balance of nature at your peril.

Also their plan to go in ahead of Wake to gather scientific data is so astoundingly dumb I have to wonder if it's really an attempt to kill Mark because he knows too much. Even if they can't gather data from a sealed labryinth (which would make sense if they're studying Dusk Energy flow) they could just have Wake spend a day escorting the scientists and then seal it; the other Disciples can stay outside and hunt monsters so there's not much collateral damage.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 12, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
You work at a school for superpowered god-teens whose entire purpose is to fight monsters in Dusk Circles. You are in need of special data/crystals from inside a Dusk Circle. However, you are a scientist with no combat skills, and Dusk Circles are full of monsters. Do you:

• Ask one of the superteens to look out for crystals and bring you some
  • Ask to accompany the superteens on an expedition they're already having to that exact Dusk Circle, so that if monsters attack you have a bodyguard
  • Go in there yourself and figure that maybe THIS time, there won't be any monsters, so

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

namehereguy posted:

Also their plan to go in ahead of Wake to gather scientific data is so astoundingly dumb I have to wonder if it's really an attempt to kill Mark because he knows too much. Even if they can't gather data from a sealed labryinth (which would make sense if they're studying Dusk Energy flow) they could just have Wake spend a day escorting the scientists and then seal it; the other Disciples can stay outside and hunt monsters so there's not much collateral damage.

It makes even less sense when you remember that as far as the official story is concerned, this is 10am the next day. Mark and Ruby couldn't wait less than 1 day for Wake to clear the dungeon?

ProfessorProf posted:

You work at a school for superpowered god-teens whose entire purpose is to fight monsters in Dusk Circles. You are in need of special data/crystals from inside a Dusk Circle. However, you are a scientist with no combat skills, and Dusk Circles are full of monsters. Do you:

• Ask one of the superteens to look out for crystals and bring you some
  • Ask to accompany the superteens on an expedition they're already having to that exact Dusk Circle, so that if monsters attack you have a bodyguard
  • Go in there yourself and figure that maybe THIS time, there won't be any monsters, so

Maybe there are unicorns in this one! You don't know! They need to run in there immediately so they can catch one before they all escape!

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

You weren't terrible, PK. Serina is terrible. Just. . .really terrible.

I was clearly distracted by her beauty. Regardless, the screen shot has been fixed. Now you can all get a small taste of what she acts like while in that form.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Psycho Knight posted:

It makes even less sense when you remember that as far as the official story is concerned, this is 10am the next day. Mark and Ruby couldn't wait less than 1 day for Wake to clear the dungeon?

I assume that for plot purposes Wake doesn't clear the Labryinth all at once but instead makes multiple trips over some indefinite number of days. Kind of like how in Persona 3 you don't clear a segment of Tartarus in a single night except without mechanics crafted to discourage you from doing that.

I, uh, did not understand how those mechanics worked and cleared each segment in a single night. I assume other people had that problem and that is why later games do not let you buy unlimited amounts of healing in dungeon mode.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

namehereguy posted:

I assume that for plot purposes Wake doesn't clear the Labryinth all at once but instead makes multiple trips over some indefinite number of days. Kind of like how in Persona 3 you don't clear a segment of Tartarus in a single night except without mechanics crafted to discourage you from doing that.
This dialogue happens the first time you enter the labyrinth, or at least that's what it seems to imply. This is not "Mark snuck in between trips", it's "Mark and his team were sent in literally hours before Wake". Not that the former makes it any better or less stupid.

namehereguy posted:

I, uh, did not understand how those mechanics worked and cleared each segment in a single night. I assume other people had that problem and that is why later games do not let you buy unlimited amounts of healing in dungeon mode.
The most efficient way is to clear them all at once. In P4, you're supposed to bum-rush the dungeons in one go as soon as they open up. And later games actually make it easier to do so by not having the stupid "Tired" mechanic.

Also, I forget if there's an equivalent mechanic in 5, but in 4 you could buy healing from the Fox, but it was pretty expensive especially early game (Magic Leefs, all yo yens). IIRC, it was based upon how much SP your team had lost.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Also, I forget if there's an equivalent mechanic in 5, but in 4 you could buy healing from the Fox, but it was pretty expensive especially early game (Magic Leefs, all yo yens). IIRC, it was based upon how much SP your team had lost.

In 4 the fox charged a flat rate per point of SP, with it going down as you advanced the SLink.

5 had absolutely no method of in-dungeon, out-of-battle healing, so what ended up happening is that you bum-rushed the Death Confidant until you could get the accessories that restored SP per turn and never ever take them off.

Also I remember that when I played this game Feene was my favorite character, so I'm looking forward to her stuff.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Update 10: With no reason to be; just to be somebody somewhere~

Welcome to Chapter 4. This is where everything starts coming together. There's also going to be some anime-rear end anime stuff. You'll start seeing the signs once it approaches.

The biggest thing to happen in this chapter is that the group will finally be complete. Feene will round out the group of seven, we'll find out what her whole deal is, then I'll force you guys to choose three out of the seven heroines. It'll be great.

Before all of that can happen, we need to get the introductory story nonsense out of the way. It seems there's been an interesting development...

-Wake's Dorm Room-

Ughh...not now...

???: Wake up, Wake. ...It's morning.

...Wha...Huh!?

...Good morning, Wake.

Oh...oh crap...wait, last night, did we...?

What!? W-Wait, it's--

Did we what?

Chlotz!? Oh poo poo... please, please tell me we didn't...

Mornin', Wake! Let's have ourselves a cheerful day, like always!

Why are you both in my room!?

Don't tell me you forgot?

Remember? Chief Ruby said that President Rhiod was having a press conference today.

O-Oh, right. The conference thing.

Thank you merciful Star God...

Where's your remote? Oh, there it is. Let's get this party started. Ooh! It's started already.

-AngelMarker-

*Camera flashes happening during this scene*

AngelMarker Industries is developing "Neo Ether," an entirely new form of energy!

[Reporter C]: *distant* Down in front!

I've been waiting for this!

We are finally at the stage where we can create the energy of the gods ourselves. This device I'm holding is a "God Brace" that emits Neo Ether. I want you all to try to imagine this... As long as we have Neo Ether, soon everyone will be able to fight like a Disciple! With this possibility, the eradication of the monsters will surely become reality!

[Reporter A]: When will this new Ether be completed?

[Reporter B]: Are there any side effects of this artificial form of Ether?

[Reporter C]: I still can't see! Stop being jerks, guys!

-Wake's Dorm Room-

So this is the big secret project that you guys wouldn't stop hinting at?

Is it really possible to create Ether?

AngelMarker Industries really is amazing, huh.

The device to create Neo Ether is being developed at the research lab. Once it's completed, any Disciple can fight in the Circles, without a God's Gift.

Alright, pause time. Remember last update when I told you guys to keep something in mind for the start of Chapter 4?

Ruby has been really militant with her assertion that she's in charge of the Dusk Circle missions, and her orders are absolute, and blah blah power-trip blah. But then in the last chapter she suddenly just threw a student part-time worker on monitoring duty and declared that she had better poo poo to do with her time. So why the change in attitude?

This is why. Now that this whole "God Brace" thing is taking off, Ruby doesn't need God's Gift and the S Ranks anymore. They're no longer useful to her, which means they aren't worth her time anymore. So she sticks Chlotz on monitoring duty and just tells him to give her a shout if anything happens. She doesn't completely cut them loose of course, because they might still discover something useful to her.

gently caress. Ruby. We'll leave it at that for now.

Huh...

But aside from that, Fuuko... You've been fidgety for a while now. What's wrong?

Ahaha...

And... um... Well... the laundry...

You got undies on the floor, man.

Yeah, well, I didn't think you guys would barge in here while I was still asleep. Deal with it.

That sure was an interesting way to start the morning. My only complaint with this scene is that Official Fuuko has no reaction to Wake's dialogue option of mistakenly thinking that the two of them slept together. Such a wasted opportunity.

-School Route-

Hey, Feene. Good morning to you, too.

Good morning, Miss Beautiful!

Feel free to beat him up if that starts to annoy you.

Good morning. When did you get back?

I took the red-eye early this morning.

For anyone who doesn't travel by air much, Feene is referring to taking a flight that departs at night and arrives the next morning. It's a reference to your eyes being red from being really tired or up really late.

I wish to fight alongside you all in the Labyrinths from this moment on.

[1st-Year Disciple A]: I didn't know she was back!

Ah... Well then, I will see you later. Please excuse me.

*Feene loving books it*

It seems Feene wants nothing to do with her stalker fan-club groupies.

Miss Beautiful is is beautiful as always.

Oh great, now Fuuko is starting to get into it.

Come on, you two. We're going to be late if we keep standing around gushing over Feene.

-School Gate-

Huh? Ms. Chloe's at the school gate.

Good morning, everyone!

What are you doing over here, Sis?

You mean, the guy who only talks about health and hygiene? Did he catch a cold?

Don't you be knocking health and hygiene Chlotz.

That's not important. If you don't hurry, you're going to be late!

Crap! Let's hurry!

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Did you say "Trigger"?

They say that when you take it, it makes you feel full of energy and refreshed. Of course, that's only a hallucination, so you're only fooling yourself.

Also, one of the side effects is that it makes you really short-tempered. Yesterday, a Disciple who was using it went on a rampage and injured a teacher. He wasn't badly hurt, though. He'll be back by tomorrow.

...Why would anyone use such a scary drug?

People around here don't have much of a self-preservation instinct, Narika.

You're just going to destroy your body that way.

I guess he was willing to go that far in order to improve his grades.

You juicin', LightBlueHair?

D-Don't be stupid!

Got my eye on you...

Anyway, it's scary to think something like that is floating around. One more problem to add to my list.

Frightening stuff. Now for something completely random!

-Laboratory-

Virtues of the Seven Stars! Assemble!

Witches of the Seven Stars - Check out the cutscene

"Girl Next Door"!

"Perfect (Exceeder)"!

"Bra Size 45!" (I know what the actual title is, shut up.:argh:)

"It's Not Me It's You"!

"Lucky Star"!

...Torri!

"Hot for Teacher"!

"I'm Too Sexy!"

Ah, having some fun with song references. Wait... Chlotz! Get out of the shot!

Why did we do those stupid poses?

Because it's cool, that's why! Now shut up!

"Virtues of the Seven Stars"? Is that the name of our group?

I'm trying it out. I'll let you know if I come up with something better.

The group is complete! Actually, not really. Feene still doesn't join after this scene, for some stupid reason. The story needs to be advanced one more time, likely just to open the next Labyrinth. It's close enough though.

I will do my best not to drag you all down.

At this time, the fourth Circle Seed has finally activated. Once it materializes into a Labyrinth, the order to send in your team will be given.

Going from the speed of the previous Labyrinths, I don't think it'll be long.

I'm looking forward to it.

Is that so?

That's total bullshit and we all know it. It should be obvious to everyone reading this that Ruby is eager to get data from those new God Braces.

Wake, can I borrow you for a moment after this? I want to update your data in Renda.

Redux.

Sure thing.

Come to the training room.

-Redux-

I--

I'm just asking if you are ready.

Fine.

It's going to take some time to collect the data. I need you to sit for 20 minutes.

I can do that.

Well, let's get started. This may not help pass the time... But have you ever heard about this?

*sigh* NO Mark, I have not heard about 'this'. What is 'this'?

The Dusk Circle Zero Squad.

drat it. That would have made an awesome name for the team...

It was before you were born.

Yes, Mark. I can do basic math.

So what did they do, exactly?

They went into the depths of the Dusk Circle on this island to investigate it. They valiantly stepped into the inactive Pandora Labyrinth.

But they did leave something behind for us. We call it the Zero Files.

What kind of information did it have?

It seems that back then... The interiors of the Circles did have Ether within them. As proof of that, they were able to send a small amount of data up to the surface. Part of their record includes these words: "A source of endless Dusk Energy exists within the Pandora Labyrinth. An inactive Circle has no exit."

Spooky.

Two more teams were sent in an attempt to find them, but no one ever returned. The government reached a conclusion from this... They concluded that Star Energy could not be used within those spaces. Finally, they gave up on investigating the Labyrinth.

So despite how suicidal it was, they still sent two more teams in after Zero Squad?

More teams would have been sent into other Circle Seeds, as well.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that these other teams were sent in before the transmission actually came back.

Because the alternative is that we just heard Mark say that AngelMarker/The Government sent in two more teams after being clearly told that inactive circle seeds have no exit. It's not like the people in this world haven't already set a precedent for doing stupid reckless poo poo, but that would be a level of dumbfuckery that I refuse to believe got green-lit.

Besides that, if the transmission had actually come back before the other teams had been sent, then how in the hell would they have gotten anyone to agree to go in? "Okay, so Zero Squad said there's no exit, but they're clearly a bunch of idiots. You guys are a lot smarter, so track them down and show them how much better you are at science-ing than them. Sound cool?"

So let's just assume that the 'seriously, stay the gently caress out' transmission was received after it was too late for the rescue teams.

If AngelMarker employees were participating in the investigation teams... And if people were still being sent into the Circles... It's quite possible that I could have been on a team going into inactive Circles.

For that reason, I could say that a great many people owe their lives to Zero Squad.

Right, so now you're just running headlong into active seeds that are overflowing with monsters, instead. Much better idea.

This leader was an S Rank Disciple, and an extremely intelligent student.

Because of these accomplishments, she was given command of an investigation team. That team then proved that it was possible to enter and exit an active Labyrinth!

I look up to that Disciple even now. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that she's the reason you can go into Circles.

Nnnooo. I'm pretty sure the reason I can go into Circles is because Star God gifted me with the ability to do just that. Don't go stealing credit from Him, Mark. He doesn't like that crap.

It's not made clear who this Disciple was, but it's heavily implied to have been Ruby. If we had a rough time for when the first Labyrinth cropped up, then we'd be able to get an idea of her's and Mark's age. Right now they would have to be somewhere between 22-38 years old, which is kind of obvious judging by their looks.

It's not important, I just think it's fun to speculate. Because it's a Japanese game, anyone over the age of 28 is contractually obligated to make 'jokes' about how old and decrepit they are, which Mark and Ruby haven't done. So I'd say those two are like, 26, tops.

Chlotz told me about what happened to your hometown. You want revenge, is that it?

Obviously that's part of it.

If I can give you my own opinion...

Yeah, Mark. You don't say. I wonder why that is?

Alright, we're done.

-Laboratory-

The next Labyrinth seems like it's close to appearing. I'm checking in periodically just in case.

I see. I hope the Neo Ether will be completed by then.

Let me guess, you're still itching to get in there?

I still think you're doing a good job of that here, by managing the defenses, but I know you aren't thrilled with that.

Well, I'm not exactly going to complain if I get to have you fighting with me. It would certainly be a relief.

Glad to hear it.

Alec's hungry for some real action. Countdown to him getting too eager and doing something foolish is now on. Everyone else is being a reckless moron, he might as well join them.

-Hallway-

Would you tell me where you're dragging me off to?

Oh yeah, loving the sound of that.

-Student Council Room-

This is just a rumor...

In other words, they're dealing the drug underground.

There's already been an incident in which a teacher has been injured... As part of the student council, I wish to do something about it.

That's where we come in. We'll help crack down on a deal and stop the sale.

Um... But aren't you busy with sterilizing the Circles...?

Yes, I am busy sterilizing the Circles, as Chlotz should know. Not to mention the other list of stuff I have building up on a daily basis.

Come on, man. We can't just stand by and let this happen.

All I can promise is that I'll keep an eye out.

Really? Thank you so much!

See? I told you he'd cooperate if I told him about it.

Thanks, Chlotz.

(You can't even begin to comprehend how much you owe me for this, Chlotz.)

Chlotz is using his famous friend to help him score points with his crush. You pathetic bastard.

Anyway, the story takes a break here for a moment. Feene still isn't on board as far as gameplay is concerned, but before we take care of that little oversight, there's new stuff to show off.

Quests and items are nothing important. That's just typical upgrade stuff. Likewise, the Labyrinth is just the training center version of Greed.

What is worth pointing out is that the maximum BP has been slowly increasing over the past few dungeons. We're up to +300 now, although 400 is where we want to be, since most everything BP related is a round hundred number.

The biggest addition is this little shop right here. Let's have a look.

The children we've been setting free into Fort City can now be hired to go hunt for treasure.

Also, there has been no improvement to the spelling error situation. Awesome.

Baki? Is that you?

I'm glad you recognize me, Father. How have you been?

Not bad. Not great either, but not bad. So, running a scavenger business now, huh?

It seemed like a prime opportunity.

:3: Baki's got a little monocle.

As the tutorial card pointed out, you can send independent Star Children out into Labyrinths to search for stuff. Claim allows you to pick up the rewards once they have returned. Recall is for when you want to cancel a scavenge and pull the Child back.

It costs money to send a Child out, and it will take a certain amount of time (I'm pretty sure you could just keep Resting if you really didn't want to wait). It's a little bit expensive, but it can save you time trying to hunt for items.

The available Children to send are picked at random. As you can see, if you went and dumped a bunch of level 1 children into Fort City to try and level it up, then you could wind up having to refresh this list a bunch in order to find your higher level SC's. You obviously want to send the stronger kids. It's nothing serious, but it is quite annoying. Try and level the little guys up before you send them out into the world.

At the current facility level, we can only send out two SC's. I send Udo and Pit out into the Greed and W. Wind Tunnel Labyrinths, respectively.

I came back the next day and they had returned with some Mana Stones. Nothing good unfortunately.

I thought the Scavenger operated on in-game days, but I hadn't advanced at all between saving/quiting and loading up the next real-life day. It's possible it just automatically completes when you save and quit, then load. I'll do some testing.

We make a quick stop at the Lab Quest board before moving on. I just want to point out that beating Mammon is a quest which gives the Upgrade Parts T. This boosts the Heroines' weapon ATK/MAT/TEC. Switching them from the S versions of their weapons results in a loss of 100 SPD though.

I give the T weapon version to Chloe, Torri, and Fuuko. They've got excess speed that I don't mind trading off for an increase in attack. Especially Torri. Everyone else has a Rapid Ring accessory to boost their speed and they still don't match Chloe/Fuuko/Torri.

No sign of Feene in our bonding list. Before we fix that, however, we need to try and make a dent in some sub-events.

A ton of sub-events are available right now. Enough that I could probably make an entire post of just them. Luce, Ruby, Mark, Chlotz, Alec, and Triche all have like four each. They range from funny to weird to spoiler-ish.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Oh well, let's try and make some headway I guess. I've got some room in this update and I'm fine with dragging out this whole 'getting Feene' thing for as long as possible.

And now, people are starting to doubt the Original Core's ability to hold them back.

I think this is supposed to be 'Star Wall'. Not sure if it's a translation error or a mix up with the script in general. The Star Wall is what's holding the monsters back from the Original Core, not the core itself.

I can guarantee, in the year since I became the leader of the guards... I have never let a single monster through our defensive line.

That means that the rest of these monsters... They must be coming from the Nests. Active Dusk Circles are capable of ejecting three Nests in a single week. So far, the research has been promising. The Labyrinths without Dusk Spawners haven't been generating Nests. The Dusk Circles must be sterilized if we hope to win the battle on the ground.

Man, you are chatty today.

My apologies. I may have caught something from him.

What do you mean?

I just saw Chlotz. He talked my ear off, like always. I guess that's just who he is.

Not fond of him?

But he's growing on me.

After I beat you in that fencing match...

Which you cheated in.

*sigh* Yes. Which I cheated in. If I may continue...

He came to see me, alone. At first, I thought he was there to pick a fight with me for what I did to you.

But then he asked me if something was wrong. You weren't the only one worried about me... Both Ms. Chloe and Chlotz were as well. At the time, I thought he should mind his own business... But now, I think he's more mature than I am.

I wouldn't be so sure about that last part. He has his moments, but let's not get carried away.

But do you know what he said to me when I saw him a minute ago?

So it's not just me he does that with... What's up with that?

By the way, why do you keep glancing around every now and then?

I don't know if you're aware of it... But there's a rumor about us going around.

Hm?

A childish insinuation that there's a romantic relationship between you and I.

I wouldn't let it get to you. The students around here are weird like that.

That would be ideal, but...

I feel like everyone is staring at me. I've caught an unusual number of girls looking at me recently.

I thought you'd have noticed it too. Doesn't it bother you?

Not really. I've had people staring at me since day one. I've gotten used to it. Kind of unfazed at this point.

Unfazed, huh...

I suppose denying it won't help much.

That's all you really can do. It's only going to get worse if you start going after people about it.

Oh yeah. I meant to ask if you wanted to head out to the fencing club. Almost forgot.

No, I'll pass. I don't do well in big groups.

Yeah, Triche said something to that effect. So you're just done with it, then?

I'll never be able to thank Triche enough for letting me into that club. He was the one who taught me the basics of swordplay. On top of that, he showed me all the best soba restaurants on this island. But there's nothing left for me to learn.

Ever thought about being a coach, then?

By the way... You've been staring at me rather intently.

Is there something on my face?

Nah. I was thinking that you look a lot like your brother. Just a weird random thought.

Really? People usually say Enzea looks like my father and I look like my mother.

Oh...

Don't give me that look. I'm over my parents' divorce.

I respect my father, but his success came at a price. I think it was the right thing for them to get divorced.

That's a pretty mature way to look at it.

Me? Hahaha, no way. If I was really mature, I wouldn't depend so much on my father. My brother doesn't.

When we were growing up, my brother had no illusions about our parents. I think that's because he's been fiercely independent ever since he was young.

After all, he had as much influence on my personality as my father did.

Oh, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to a meeting.

That's thankfully done with. We learned a lot about Alec at least. Turns out we do find out what happened to his mother. Divorce isn't exactly nice, but at least she isn't dead. That's the typical fate of any parent not directly seen on screen.

-Hallway-

You're sure it's accurate, right?

Of course it is! Luce got me this fresh info!

Fine, fine. Calm your junk. Well? What did you find out?

-Heroes' Grave-

According to what Luce told me... She's received tips that Trigger dealing has been going on here.

I can't believe these assholes would deal drugs here of all places.

Wait... shhh....

Hold up. We need to wait and make sure.

You think this is the time for waiting? They're selling drugs right now! C'mon!

Dammit Chlotz. Too reckless.

Hey! What do you two think you're doing!?

[Punk]: Hm? Who're you?

I know it's just a generic NPC sprite, but I like to imagine that this is the same fuckwad that was antagonizing Alec.

Mind explaining what you're dealing?

Prepare to be arrested!

Chlotz, not now. Please.

[Standard Disciple A]: ...God's Gift? Why's he here!?

[Punk]: What? God's Gift!? Dammit, we've been compromised!

If the two of you ever want to walk again, then I highly suggest you don't try and run. I will cut out your drat tendons if I have to.

-Church of Aterra-

It seems the illicit substance is being manufactured at a hideout on this island.

Now, there is one problem here.

Point me to where it is and stand back.

What do you mean?

-Island Nest-

What the hell is this thing doing here? God dammit Ruby, are you even paying attention!?

Let's move everyone! We're going to eradicate this drat nest!

Right!

And then the nest was destroyed. Seriously. It just fades to white after that and then fades in to the next scene. Glossed right over.

Also, for anyone confused as to why all the heroines are there, remember that this is a Nest and not a Labyrinth. The girls don't have any issues with Ether in Nests.

Also also, what the gently caress Ruby? What the hell happened to all that monitoring stuff meant to track Nests that reach Fort Island? I'm starting to think that Sasami may have for real sabotaged the security of Fort Island. This place has really gone to poo poo lately.

-Church of Aterra-

I'm back. The hidden Nest has been dealt with. All that's left is to take care of the hideout.

Well done!

Of course it was. It figures they would act fast once one of their sellers was busted.

Still. How in the hell did a guy like that know the location of a Nest that the Academy, AngelMarker, and the Church didn't?

That is a mystery, but I believe that it will be solved in a matter of time.

In any case, it is truly joyous that a Nest has been scoured from the island. Please get some rest.

Curious er and curious er.

-Serenity Chamber-

I found out about this later... But it seems that Alec was actually the one who told Luce about the Trigger dealing.

He's not a bad guy. He's just kind of a dick about it when he tries to help.

Mmhmm... I think so too.

Oh, it's Fuuko and Narika.

I finally found you guys.

Wake, take a look at this newspaper. See? We're in it! There's an article about how we eradicated that Nest the other day.

What's so rare about that? When the first Circle was sterilized, they held a meeting broadcast around the world.

Yeah. It's not really a surprise that the news would report on something like that.

That's not what I mean. Look at this headline.

What is this poo poo!? It's supposed to be "Virtues of the Seven Stars"! Virtues! It's meant to contrast with the sins that the Labyrinths are named after! And why the gently caress does God's Gift not warrant a mention at all!?

The Witches...? Is that supposed to be you and the other girls?

That's right. Calling us witches, though... It's kind of... questionable.

Conception II NPC Status: Still assholes.

What's a witch?

...Do I look like that?

Narika, you don't look anything like that.

Wait... Are you saying that I look like that?

Oh, no! Of course you don't look like that either, Fuuko!

*Serina and Feene arrive*

Don't you think it's horrible, too?

Ah, Serina and Feene.

What's this headline about? How in the world does anyone think we're witches?

Do they think we'll say things like...

That does kind of sound like something you'd say, though.

What was that?

But... It's nice to get recognition that we're all part of the same team, isn't it?

...Maybe.

...I guess that's one way to look at it. Still though, it really bugs me that they didn't use what I've been pitching.

We're friends who fight together, huh? I like the sound of that.

Are we all friends? I'd like you to all be my friend.

Right!

When did you show up, Sis?

Everyone, I have a message from Chief Ruby. Ahem:

Six hours ago, a fourth Circle has formed a Labyrinth. The mission to go in is granted. This Circle will be the biggest yet. Make sure you take caution when you go!

That's it.

That's pretty important! It's irresponsible of her to just send you to tell us that!

So for anyone who may have been thinking that I was reading too much into it, here's some more proof. Ruby no longer gives a poo poo about God's Gift and the S Ranks. She didn't even bother to call everyone in to the lab like she always does. She didn't call at all for that matter! She just told Chloe to go let everyone know.

Not only that, she also didn't tell the group that they are departing at 10am the next day or something. She just said "take caution when you go", like she doesn't really care when they head out.

Whatever. I hate Ruby anyway. The less we have to put up with her the better.

With that, Feene finally joins up from a gameplay perspective. That means the next update will be devoted to getting her properly introduced and summarizing her route like the others.

Then we have to get our focus heroines one more round of Bonding. It's their last chance to try and cement their places before I hold another big vote.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 23, 2019

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
"Neo Ether" is code for "Dusk Energy" and this is going to go horrifically wrong and we are going to have to kill a bunch of God Brace users. Calling it now.

Also the drug is dark crystals but that's clearly not meant to be a surprise. Must be some in the nest

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

namehereguy posted:

"Neo Ether" is code for "Dusk Energy" and this is going to go horrifically wrong and we are going to have to kill a bunch of God Brace users. Calling it now.

Anyone with a brain could see that coming from a mile away with all that foreshadowing :v:

The question isn't if that will happen, but when. Also the other question is if Monster Ruby will be a boss fight or not. (Please say she is. It'd be very cathartic.)

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Dr. Snark posted:

Anyone with a brain could see that coming from a mile away with all that foreshadowing :v:

The question isn't if that will happen, but when. Also the other question is if Monster Ruby will be a boss fight or not. (Please say she is. It'd be very cathartic.)

It'll (very unfortunately) probably be a transformed Alec. The setup is too perfect for it not to be.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, wow they're really heavy with their foreshadowing here. A bunch of disciples snorting ground up dusk crystals, more getting strapped with them, and disciples turning into monsters, you would have to be blind to not see where this is going.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Definitely agree that it's looking like Alec's going to be screwed with the braces. Hopefully he'll at least take out Ruby before we get him.

Also, is there any in-universe justification for the posing scene? or is it just a "congrats, you (almost) have your full party now" type of thing?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

OOrochi posted:

Definitely agree that it's looking like Alec's going to be screwed with the braces. Hopefully he'll at least take out Ruby before we get him.

Also, is there any in-universe justification for the posing scene? or is it just a "congrats, you (almost) have your full party now" type of thing?

None whatsoever. I kind of forgot about this cutscene, and when it started to play I was like "the gently caress is going on?". The characters say nothing about it. It's just meant to celebrate the full team I guess.

Yeah, nothing with the Dusk Crystals is all that surprising. To be fair to the game, there is really no way they could have hidden it. Even if they didn't foreshadow it at all and made no mention of Dusk Crystals, anyone familiar with storytelling would be able to piece things together. I won't knock the game for that part. The only possible alternative they could have tried hinting at is that they are cloning God's Gift or something, and even then people would probably catch that as a red herring.

Stories stop having surprises and twists once you become savvy enough to spot tropes and setup.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Well, here it's also hampered by game mechanics and timing. Because this plan isn't inherently crazy; Dusk Energy is part of human nature so theoretically it doesn't inherently have to go horribly wrong. But if this plan goes off without a hitch then clearing Labryinths with just Wake, a heroine, and Star Children wouldn't make any sense and so the game mechanics would stop being applicable. And we got our full set of seven heroines already. If we hadn't and if Feene were the blonde sword-wielder everyone looked up to who managed the fortress wall at this point, it could just fall through because it's determined that stablizing the Dusk Energy requires extreme discipline and at least some Star Energy so it can only be used in the Dusk Circles with Wake's help, and they'll need a qualified volunteer...

Feene: I shall be the first test subject! I will not fail you!

But Alec isn't a potential party member so he's just screwed. The fact that this is intercut with the Dark Crystal illegal steroid plotline merely serves to drive the point home. There'd also be more uncertainty if this plan were just a straight power upgrade but wouldn't let people who aren't Wake fight in the Dusk Circles, so it strengthens the wall garrison and the party. Then maybe it unlocks the next skill tier, maybe it goes horribly awry and the heroines barely survive and half the garrison isn't so lucky, maybe both!

It can be pretty difficult to surprise genre savvy readers but also the game isn't trying very hard.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

namehereguy posted:

Feene: I shall be the first test subject! I will not fail you!

You're giving me Valkyria Chronicles 2 flashbacks. Those are not good flashbacks.

I'm working on Feene's update now, whenever my cat will let me anyway. She constantly jumps into my lap to make me as uncomfortable as possible every time I sit at the computer. Freaking cats.

I discovered that I may have to give all the other heroines another summary piece. Chloe/Ellie/Narika's next events ramp up quite a bit. I thought there was a bit more farting around to do before things really kicked in, but it happened sooner than I remember.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Update 10.5 (Feene Bonding): Never concerned with status; But still leaving 'em star struck~

Now that Feene is on board (halfway through the game) it's time we do our final catch-up. Well, possibly final anyway. Always a chance you guys could scrap all three of our focus heroines and pick new ones.

Feene will be getting an introduction, classmating sequence, and her first set of bonding events. I will also give her a summary, the same kind I did for Serina/Fuuko/Torri. After that, we'll check in with our focus heroines for one more set of events before I start the next big vote.

But first, Feene time.

-Redux-

You ready?

Indeed.

I am steel.

:siren: Possible NSFW warning. Feene's is really not that bad though. Just the usual glowly body stuff.
Feene Transformation - Check out the cutscene

Steel knows no doubt.

Steel knows no fear.

When faced with my enemy, I hesitate not.

I am a weapon to destroy these.

Iron-Blood Transformation!

Feene's transformation is very elegant. She has the whole battle princess thing going on. I don't have a lot of input on this one, because I really like it. My only complaint is that, like all the heroines, Feene has to use a gun weapon. This is despite her skill in fencing/swordplay. The only reason I can see for it is that it would be a little dangerous for both her and Wake to be attacking an enemy together up close, considering Wake uses twin four-foot blades with a tonfa-style grip.

The Star Children helped you with that, didn't they?

Yes. I wished to prove myself a worthy partner in battle, so I requested advice from your Star Children. They were very helpful.

Yeah, they're pretty great.

Very wordy though. Maybe just shorten it to the 'Iron-Blood' part.

Still, good showing. That's all for today. I'll catch up with you later.

Here is Feene's stat spread. Unsurprisingly, she's a mage tank. She has amazing DEF and MDF, great MAT, good ATK, and garbage SPD. She is also Dusk Element, which means she can deal super effective damage to Fire/Aqua/Wind/Earth enemies.

This is also Feene's major drawback, unfortunately. Fire/Aqua/Wind/Earth element enemies have been showing up a lot so far. However, as we get closer to the end game, more and more enemies will start showing up with the Ether element. Boss fights especially start churning out Ether element poo poo constantly. Ether is effective against Dusk, but not the other way around. Non-element is also effective against Dusk, but not the other way around.

So Feene's effectiveness in battle is on a downward slope as soon as she joins, which is a shame.

Music: Feene's Theme: In the Sky of the Native Land

-3rd-Year Classroom-

Huh... I figured Feene would be here...

*Feene arrives*

Ah, hello, sir. Are you looking for someone? I would be happy to call upon them for you.

That's fine, Feene. I was looking for you.

For me?

I am forever in your debt for saving my hometown. When I left home, I made a solemn vow that I would help you any way I can. Now, sir, let me know what I can do for you.

Okay. Could we start by you not calling me 'sir'? Just call me Wake.

...! I don't want to appear difficult, but allow me to call you Mr. Wake.

It's a start, I guess.

So, what business do you have with me?

I just wanted to properly introduce myself. We're going to be doing that whole 'Classmating' thing, so I feel like it's appropriate.

You do not have to worry about offending me. As I have said before... I came to this Academy to repay you for what you have done.

When you need me, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sounds good. That's all I wanted to say. Thanks for humoring me.

And thank you for being so considerate.

I was on active duty in my hometown for a long time. But now I've been recalled since the Dusk Circle has been sterilized. If the situation changes, there is a possibility I will return to the front line. Until then, I plan on remaining by your side.

And there's the 'sir' thing again. Going to take some time to break her of that habit, I guess.

I'm going to sprinkle in a few sub-events throughout the these bonding updates. As I mentioned before, a LOT of these drat things sprouted up when this chapter started. I want to fit them in somewhere before they build up too much.

-Dojo-

Hey, look at you. Someone's in a good mood.

A friend of mine just sent me an update from the continent.

So, yeah, I am in a good mood.

He must be good.

He's an S Rank Disciple, just like me.

This is one of the S Ranks that I mentioned which we don't get to meet. Based on what Ruby says, there shouldn't be many more of them out there.

He's kind of like the second-in-command for the Fencing Team. He and I are pretty evenly matched when it comes to swordplay.

By the way, he seemed really interested when I started talking about you.

Unfortunately, he's going straight to his next mission. So, he won't return to the Academy for a while.

Too bad. Probably would have been a good match for me.

So, I was wondering if you can do me a favor.

Can I send him your picture? He didn't want to bother you, so could you do it as a favor for me?

Sure, I guess. I don't really mind.

So there's no need for you to take off your clothes.

Excuse me?

*Triche takes a pic*

Thank you. I'm sure he'll be thrilled. I'll make sure to get this to him. See you later.

A swimsuit? ...Well, I did say I wanted fans.

Wake appears to have drawn the attention of some male admirers. Makes sense.

-Hallway-

Wake, are you coming to today's meeting?

Yeah, I've got the time.

The Aquatics Team trains Disciples to exterminate underwater Nests. So you can imagine that the training is as intense as the Fencing Club's.

That sounds terrifying as poo poo.

I think this will be your first time cross-training with the Aquatics Team.

Cross-training is about exchanging each other's training regime. That means the Fencing Club is going to do the same training the Aquatics Team does.

Of course, we make an exception for team members who can't swim. In that case, they'll just do their regular training.

Don't worry about me, I can swim.

We're not... using the pool though, are we? The same one the women's team trains in?

We're using the Men's Team pool. Why do you ask?

No reason. I'm good to go, then.

Glad to hear it. By swapping regimes, we're able to maximize the effectiveness of our training.

Seriously though. Can you imagine diving to the bottom of the Atlantic or something and having to battle swarms of aggressive sharks or whatever ungodly horrors are lurking in the depths of the ocean?

-Dojo-

Hey there, Wake.

I just had a meeting with some alumni.

Former students?

Yeah, the Disciples who graduated from this Academy...

And they take great pride in their alma mater, which is why they still visit. A few of them were Disciples before this was even officially the Academy. The director of the Field Hospital was a Disciple then.

And I know another alumnus is currently here as a teacher. It's a small world, my friend.

-Hallway-

Hey, what a coincidence. I was about to go to the cafeteria to get some soba. Care to join me?

Sure. I could go for some lunch.

-School Store-

I love soba more than anything else.

I already have a whole bunch of ideas for it.

You've really got a thing for that stuff, don't you? Also, it's a bit early to be planning for the School Festival, don't you think?

Don't you think it's better to savor such a delicious thought?

A soba booth at the School Festival... I'm going to have to make that happen.

You do you, man.

Interesting stuff. Well, that gets Triche's sub-events out of the way. Some of it was informative, most of it was silly.

Back to Feene for a little.

-Ritual Hall-

Alright, we're going to try Classmating today. You ready?

I know the basics of what I have to do...

You are the hero who saved my home. I am confident that we will succeed. But please, forgive my apprehension. I have never done this before...

Don't get worked up about it. We're just here to get you used to it this time. Just relax.

Then that is what I will do. I shall repay my debt any way I can.

I am still inexperienced, so I must ask for your guidance.

Feene is most suited to Paladins at the moment. Paladins are a bit of a special class in terms of use.

They have high DEF and MDF, while their SPD and TEC aren't great. Their ATK is pretty good, and they have an oddly high MAT. They don't really have the skills to take advantage of that however. They have a physical skill and some supports that raise DEF (because, come on. They're Paladins), but attack magic is not their forte.

Putting them on a Magic focused team can give the magicians a much needed shot to their DEF though. Plus, it will increase their likely already impressive MDF, and also boost MAT. You can also stick Paladins on a fast team to make them a bit more durable at the cost of a bit of speed.

We've also picked up various other new classes. So I'll introduce another one now and then spread the other 3 out across Chloe/Narika/Ellie.

Magic Knight is an upgrade to our Swordis type classes. They have some physical attacks, some magic, but not really the best at either of them. Mostly a filler class in my opinion. Good for balancing the team's stats a bit or activating team skills, but not really worth making them the centerpiece.

*huff* Was... Was that alright?

You did fine.

Phew... That's quite a relief. I'm glad a Star Child was born since we did all this.

"All this"? Kind of an exaggeration. You barely touched me.

Huh? W-Was that an exaggeration?

Well, either way, you did a great job.

O-Oh, n-no! It was nothing!

But still, Star Children are quite sweet, aren't they? And it's even more precious when it's your own.

When you enter a Labyrinth with this child, please, take me with you. I would like to grow with this child.

Yes, yes. Everyone wants in to the Labyrinths. You'll get your shot, Feene. Although it will probably be when I go to clear out W. Wind Tunnel.

Luce is next on our 'clear out the sub-event cache'.

-Hallway-

Sure is.

Well... If you'll excuse me, I should be going.

Wait, that's it?

Yes... Uh... s-sorry. Is there something you wanted to say to me?

I mean, not really. I just figured we were about to have a chat, there.

A chat? Between me and God's Gift...

W-Well... Umm... What do you want to talk about?

You're looking really nervous.

Huh? Y-Yes, a little...

"Heaven-sent"? Wow, haven't heard that one yet.

I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way.

Then, uhh... What wonderful weather we're having.

You're repeating yourself.

R-Really?

How about we try this whole thing again another time?

Sure... I'm sorry. I'll try not to get nervous next time.

Luce is quite possibly the only student in the entire Academy that holds actual reverence for Wake. Maybe too much reverence actually.

-Hallway-

Wake. Chlotz isn't with you?

No. I managed to give him the slip a little while ago. I think he's still back in the classroom.

I wanted to thank him, so I made him lunch. I wonder if he wants it...

Are you kidding? Chlotz? He wouldn't hesitate to scarf down that entire thing.

Chlotz is such a nice person. He still cares about me, even though I'm in the Standard class.

I'll admit, he has been improving lately.

Uh-huh. I'll go check out his classroom then. If you'll excuse me.

*Luce leaves*

(I don't even have to sabotage him. There's no way he can pull off a girl like that. He is going to blow it so hard. Someway, somehow, he will screw it up.

Gonna pause it here for Luce. This update is supposed to be about Feene after all. We're going to check in with her again.

-School Grounds-

She wasn't in her classroom... Dammit, why are some of the S Ranks so hard to track down? They're like ghosts sometimes.

[Male Disciple A]: Whoa, she's even more beautiful in person...

[Female Disciple B]: Look at her go... We need to scout her out for the Aquatics Team!

Something going down over at the gym. Might as well check it out.

-Gymnasiumn-

Got it! Hah!

[Male Disciple B]: Hole crap! She nailed it from all the way across the court!

She sure can draw a crowd.

Hm...? Oh, you're here, sir. If you've been watching all this time, I wish you had let me know of your presence.

I only just got here. Sure are a lot of people out here to watch you.

Yes, I suppose. I was told that sports like Starball that are unique to the Academy aren't popular...

Starball? Not familiar with it.

It's a sport that's only played at this Academy.

This replicates a Chained state on an opponent. Then you'll have a chance to shoot, earning points. It's used as practice for Chaining.

But still, I didn't know that it could draw this large of a crowd... It looks like the Disciples here quite like Starball.

Yyyeah, I don't think sports are the reason why all these people are here. They're here to see you, Feene.

Me? Is it so strange to see a Disciple return from active duty? Or is there just something strange about me?

Do you really not realize how popular you are?

...?

Okay, well putting that aside for now. Did you join the Starball Team?

No. A classmate of mine asked me to help her practice. I tried to turn her down since I had never played the game. But then P.E. started, so I ended up helping...

I'm worried you think this is ridiculous.

I don't think that. Besides, it doesn't matter what I think. If you want to join then you should.

I have no intention of doing so. As I have said before, I may be called back to the front line at any minute...

A Starball team is made up of five people. I don't think it would be a good idea for a newcomer to suddenly join and then leave.

I turned each of them down for that exact reason. Besides, I already have a way to spend my time after school...

Oh, that's cool then.

Oh, I have a wonderful idea! I promise I won't take up too much of your time, so would you please come with me? Please, think about it...

Yeah, sure. I don't mind. Lead the way.

Thank you. Would you be so kind as to wait for me by the flower bed? I'll be out shortly.

Got it.

I will be right back.

-Flower Bed-

Wonder what she wants to show me. Maybe she does gardening?

*Feene runs in*

*pant* *pant*

Hm? What do you have there? A camera?

Yes, indeed it is. I found it while perusing the general store the other day and I just could not say no.

I was thinking I could send some photos to the folks back home. So, there you have it. Would you do me the courtesy of being my model?

You want a picture of me?

Of course.

Now, if you'd be so kind, I would like to capture the essence of the hero inside you!

Uh, well... I'm not really sure how to do that...

Is that... going to be a problem?

N-No, it's fine. Let me think... essence of a hero huh?

As funny as it would be to go with the option that I'm sure everyone is looking at, Wake is all about that henshin hero stuff.

For those curious, choosing the flower fairy thing makes Feene look at him like he's a massive weirdo, then makes him agree to both of them never mentioning that ever again.

I shall protect the world's peace!

Ooh!

You look just like a superhero! You look like Red from Frontier Squad Gunsoldier!

That is exactly the essence I wanted to capture!

Feene's totally a closet otaku.

*Picture flashes*

I mean, I don't mind it, but I'm going to cramp.

Yes, you may. I think I have more than enough photos of you like that. I used to watch Frontier Squad all the time with my friends as a child... I'm sure that my friends will be tickled pink when they see this.

Kind of wish you'd told me you were going to share this, before hand.

Thank you for today.

I will make sure these photos get to my friends right away. I hope they will like them...

They must mean a lot to you.

We have all been together so long, ever since we were children. We played together, we fought together, we laughed together... We were a family.

I can only imagine how much they miss me. I thought it would mean something to them if I could send them some photos.

Well, I guess I can't object to that then. You must really miss them, too. Ever think about just going back to be with them?

Alright, take it easy.

Still, I have to admit I'm kind of jealous of you and your friends. I don't think anyone would talk about me as highly as that.

Hoho, I'm sure they would. Your friends are all such good people. Although my contributions may be meager, I will support you to the best of my ability.

Don't talk about yourself like that. There's already more than enough of that going on around here. You're great, and you're definitely a welcome addition to the group.

Oh... Um... Th-Thank you... I swear I will live up to your expectations, at least while I'm here...

*ahem* Now then, I think I shall take some photos as I walk home. I intend on spending my time after school practicing my photography.

Have fun. I hope you get some good shots.

So do I. It looks like my afternoons are going to be busy.

So unlike Chloe and Narika, Feene is more than willing to tell everyone 'no' when they try and rope her into poo poo. Good for her. Although her reasons for doing so are less 'leave me alone' and more 'I have a higher calling'. Whatever works.

Back to Luce. I know everyone is dying to know what she is up to.

-Student Council Room-

Hello, Wake.

This month we're including a special column about the Standard Class.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you know about the Standard class?

Ehh, well... I think I remember Chlotz mentioning something about how the Standard class students aren't ranked. That's about it.

That's true, we don't have any ranks... Instead, each grade is divided by courses like linguistics or athletics.

I'm in the linguistics course, and I get credit for defending Fort City. There are lots of courses available to the Standard class.

So we plan to interview members from each course for the bulletin.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Me too. Please be patient and we'll do our best.

-School Grounds-

You're worrying too much.

Well... Triche's there, so you should be fine.

Shouldn't you be going? You're gonna be late.

Be careful, alright?

I'm fine, don't worry.

*Alec leaves and Wake approaches*

Hey, Luce.

Oh... Wake, hello.

Was that Alec you were talking to just now?

He stopped by to tell me he can't patrol after school today. Even though he's busy, he always finds time to help me out.

He seems to really worry about you. Not really a side of him I've seen too much of.

Huh?

The only other time I've seen him like that is back in the city during the monster thing. He looked really concerned about you.

Alec and I have been friends since childhood.

When we were kids, he would always come save me when I was in trouble. And it looks like he still thinks I can't watch out for myself.

That does sound like a 'him' kind of thing.

He can't protect me forever. His mission is so much more important.

And honestly, I wish I could help him...

Okay, that's finally done. Now all that's left is Mark, Ruby, Chlotz... god dammit...

Not going to subject you guys to those right now though. We'll use those as a break between Chloe/Narika/Ellie events.

-3rd-Year Classroom-

(She said she was going to be taking pictures after school. So where...)

Wait, what's with that crowd?

[Starball Player]: Come on, don't be so uptight! Play some Starball with me after school. I thought we could be friends, y'know?

[Male Disciple C]: Hey, aren't you being unfair? Feene belongs in the student council!

[Female Disciple B]: She should be on the Aquatics Team! We're already so low on members as it is.

Unfortunately, the people nagging her are persistent and Feene isn't quite aggressive enough. Come on, Feene. What happened to that gumption you had back when you kicked that Fencing Captain's rear end?

Er... But... I have photos... to take...

(Just one time I'd like to see one of these girls take control. I thought Feene was going to be that girl. Oh well, we'll fix that eventually. For now...)

Feene, I need to speak with you for a minute. Could you come here?

Huh...!? Oh, OK. I'll be right there! Pardon me... Please let me through...

Take the hint! She has important stuff to do!

So... what is it you wish to talk to me about, sir?

It's Wake, Feene. Wake. And let's talk outside. Come on.

Oh... Please don't pull on my hand. I won't run away...

-Courtyard-

This should be good.

Is something urgent, sir?

No, nothing is going on. You just look like you needed a hand to get out of there.

Um... But... U-Ummmmm... Well...

What? Did I step out of bounds?

O-Oh, no... That's, um... not it... It's just rather difficult to talk to you while you're still holding my hand...

Oh, right. Sorry about that.

N-No... It's fine. You were such a big help, after all.

I feel as though I have declined every club in this Academy at least once... But I feel so fragile when I'm pressured...

You're not the only one like that. Narika and Chloe kind of crumble the same way.

It's sort of understandable though. They're all desperate to get a Disciple of your caliber to join their clubs.

Huh... Is that so?

You're... serious... aren't you?

Ignoring that for the time being. Have you taken any pictures to send back home?

Unfortunately, I have yet to do so... I find that if I stay at school after the final bell, I get swarmed by people... I'm flattered that they want me to join their clubs, but it's not what I want to do...

Then just join the Photography Club. You like it, and if you join a club then the others can't recruit you to theirs.

I thought the very same thing, but this school doesn't have a Photography Club. There used to be one, but not anymore... I suppose certain frivolities can't exist in times like these...

Then start it up yourself.

Me!?

But wouldn't I need to get permission from the Academy...? Would they approve of such an irresponsible club...?

It's not irresponsible, Feene. As for approval, you're an S Rank that helps seal Dusk Circles, I'm sure they'd be willing to let you have that one thing.

Huh? Th-Thank you... But in troubled times such as ours, I think it may be out of place at the Academy...

(Oh Star God, is it really going to be this difficult with her? Come on...)

Listen, you're serious about Photography, right?

I am serious about it. It may seem irresponsible to others, but it's important to me...

Then go and ask Chloe about it. Don't think, just do. The worst she can say is 'No'.

Sir... You're right.

Okay, well let's make sure we don't apply that approach too liberally. There are times--

I really feel like I could start a Photography Club now! I'm going to go talk to those teachers right now!

Sure, whatever. You're fired up, that's all I really want right now. Let me know if you need any support.

Thank you. Oh... There's a flower blooming behind you. Please allow me to take a photo.

*Feene snaps a pic*

....Oh, I'm sorry. That same flower grows back home, so I couldn't help it...

Come to think of it, you took my picture here last time too.

Yes. This is one of my favorite places.

It's a nostalgic place for me, filled with flowers from my hometown...

Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound so melancholy... Now, if you will excuse me.

I want to research how to apply for a new club immediately.

Good luck.

I'll do what I can. Thank you for all your help today.

So that's Feene. Everyone pumped for some drat Photography!? I thought so. Here's a summary of the following events to maybe bump up the interest.

What happened last?: You just read it.

What happened next?: I don't have a movie reference for this one. Wake goes looking for Feene out by the flower bed and instead finds a stray cat.

Said cat has Feene's ribbon on it and seems to want Wake to follow. The cat leads Wake to the old schoolhouse where he finds Feene trying to clean it up a bit.

She's not especially good at it. To be perfectly honest, I'm not even entirely sure how to use that thing myself. Doesn't look like an especially effective duster. With Aterra's level of technology I'd figure they would at least be up to early Swiffer levels. Anyway, the Academy gave her permission to use the room for her Photography Club, which is why she's getting it all spruced up. Wake gives her a hand since Feene admits that she's kind of a complete idiot when it comes to housekeeping, to the point that she needs to remind herself to be careful not to step into the bucket and run into the blackboard when cleaning the floors.

Feene says that the cat is a stray that she fed and which took a liking to her. She wonders where he is, only to notice that he apparently swiped some food that she had laying around. Little rascal.

One day in the halls while Wake is looking for Feene, Chlotz bugs him to go get something to eat. Wake tells him that he can't because he's going to Photography Club with Feene. Chlotz immediately assumes that Wake is going to take pictures of her "silky smooth, milky-white, precious nudity" (actual quote, but it's Chlotz so does that really surprise you?). His reasoning for this is that why else would Wake join a Photography Club where the only other member is a girl? In Chlotz's mind, "photographs = nude, dude. It's the eternal dream of all men!" Feene walks in on this at the exact moment you'd expect. Chlotz then tries to distance himself from the comment, then passes the buck to Wake, then he bolts. Feene quietly muses to herself if she would be worthy of having those kind of pictures of her taken by Wake.

Moving on from that little bit of weird, Feene meets with Wake in the schoolhouse for Photo Club and tells him that the picture he took of her trying to clean was really popular with her friends. They apparently liked seeing a different side of her. One they have never seen. Feene doesn't know what they mean by that, they don't want to explain it to her because she needs to figure it out for herself, so Feene decides that she wants Wake to take more pictures of her. Wake then officially joins the club, Feene says that she knows a way to repay him for everything he's done for her, which leads to:

So Feene is weirdly into that idea, but only once Wake learns how to take artistic photos. It's gotta be tasteful nudes, you see. Wake of course tries to explain that it was just Chlotz being a douche, but Feene has this whole 'debt repayment' thing about her. She might only be able to pose in a swimsuit rather than full-on nude, but she promises either way. Wake just rolls with it because there's no point in trying to argue with some of these girls.

The two then go out to a shop in order for Wake to get his own camera. In the midst of this, Feene finds a camera that has some kind of magic lens that "magically crops out curtains and other obstructions from photos". Feene ponders why someone would want to crop out curtains, because she's incredibly niave and pure, and Wake responds with this gem:

Good stuff. Also this place should be shut down for some incredibly shady voyeur poo poo. Wake eventually spots one particular camera that the shop clerk says is a classic, the first magic-optic camera ever made: Raika. It apparently required a lot of Star Energy to operate, so it was quickly discontinued. It has a badass name and story behind the name, and Wake thinks it's elegant and suitable for taking Feene's picture, so he tries to buy it. Smug shop clerk says that it's a good display piece, so he can't just let him have it.

As most people with more arrogance than sense, the shop clerk does the thing where they make some comment about only being worthy of it under certain circumstances (in this case, having enough Star Energy to be able to actually use it), Wake does it with ease because he's loving God's Gift. Shop Clerk then tries to renege on the deal by saying that Feene would have to do it too, which she proceeds to do easily since she's a loving S-Rank Disciple. Wake then gets the camera when the shop clerk gets cornered in his own smugness.

The clerk also implies that Wake and Feene are in a relationship, Feene denies it, says she is too young for those kind of relationships (16-17? Come on, Feene. Get out of here with that), then says that she sees Wake with pure and clear eyes while beet red.

Finally, Wake and Feene meet up one day so that Wake can get some shots of Feene. We are then introduced to that Starball player from earlier, named Aya, who 100% wants inside Feene's skirt. She's also the NPC douchebag for this route because we didn't have enough of those already. After trying to insinuate that Wake is waiting to pounce on Feene like a starving dog, she tries to twist his words to make him sound like a jackass that is insulting Feene.

Aya is a creeper by the way. She asks Feene to send pictures her way when she gets some good ones (of Feene she means), and Feene later mentions that she can now use the pictures to repay her debt to Aya. Feene is... slow on the uptake. She doesn't realize that a ton of people in the Academy, boys AND girls, want a piece of her.

Also, I have no idea why Aya's database entry has her in a Standard class uniform. I'm not sure if the translation is wrong and she actually is a Standard instead of an Elite, or if she was originally a Standard and later changed to an Elite but the art team didn't bother to redo the portrait.

So that's Feene. There you go.

Oh, wait. There's still the formal costume vote:

The next two updates will be for Chloe/Narika/Ellie. They get one last set of bonding events before you all have to cast judgement once more.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 23, 2019

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Maybe the giant towershield is from the finest glass that can be aquired in Alterra? That punny name translation is disturbingly underutilized

Feene' s alt battlesuit, please.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Steel, eh? Let's give Josephine Stalin the white outfit.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Regular outfit

White looks better than black for that design.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Regular outfit.

While the black doesn't look bad, the white is much better.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Feene is the kind of girl I'd love to date in real life.

Anyway, while the alt costume looks good, gonna go with the regular outfit because it looks more regal.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Regular outfit.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Bonding Focus: Chapter 4(Part 1): Ellie, Narika, Chloe~

Let's do this one more time, shall we? One more time until voting begins again at anyway.

Our three Focus Heroines chosen in the first round of voting will get their final set of bonding events. Then all of you will need to pick who we keep or expel.

So hey, have you guys ever felt like Ellie's route has been missing a little... something? It has secrets and mysteries and all that noise, but it still feels like there is a hole somewhere that just hasn't been filled...

OH RIGHT! A jackass NPC! That's what it was. Time for the game to remedy that situation. Is everyone excited!? I know I'm not, but I don't really have a choice in the matter.

-Ritual Hall-

We need to do the whole Classmating song and dance first though. Let's get on with it.

Ahehehe... You asked me again! I'm pretty confident about today's ritual.

Good to hear. You guys finally seem to be getting into the swing of this.

Anyway, here's another new class currently available. Warlock. You need to have gotten a Magician to Level 25 in order unlock this one. I believe you also need to be in Chapter 4.

Warlock should be pretty obvious. They are upgrades to Magician/Witch/Cleric. They get a huge variety of spells, from attack types to healing types (including a full party 65% HP heal!). Chances are that they will be your staple magic user from this point on, unless you are trying to use specific skills or team skills that only Magician/Cleric/Witch can provide.

*pant* *pant*

It went perfectly when I was practicing though...

Wait, what was that? What were you practicing?

Oh! Uhh... I think Gracia is calling me! Gotta go!

Ellie's still kind of a weird stalker girl.

And yes, that's actually all there is to that Classmating event. These things are getting really short. Ellie had 4 official lines of dialogue. Wake had, like, 1 or 2.

-School Grounds-

Now it's time for the fun part. Really looking forward to this.

It's really coming down outside. I wonder if that leak in Ellie's apartment is doing alright? I'd better go check on her. She's always darting around everywhere in a big rush, so it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't patch it up properly afterward.

-Ellie's Apartment-

(Here's the entrance. No ringer though. I wonder if she'll be able to hear a knock?)

*Coming from inside*

[???]: You think I'm gonna buy that? You've only dealt with one of those pests. Seriously, what are you waiting for?

I-I've been busy because of my work at the Academy...

[???]: Hmph. You mean the extermination of monsters? Leave that to the other chicks. We have our own work to do. Stop wasting time on these worthless things.

My work as a Disciple was an order from the Church, too! It's not worthless!

(Hm? She has a guest? That's kinda weird. I shouldn't keep eavesdropping though, that's only going to create problems. I had better just go in.)

Hey, Ellie! You there!? I'm coming in!

...!

Wake!? What are you doing here...?

Wake? So he's that God's Gift... I hate that look plastered on his face. "I'm the one keeping the world safe..." He looks like he'd say trash like that with a straight face.

You keep speaking to me like that and having a straight face will become a foreign concept to you.

You feel like saying that to me again?

Stop it, Lucian!

Still. I have to commend you. I didn't sense your presence. Is that because of the power of Ether? How useful.

Oh yeah, this and that camera thing from Feene's events confirm that Male's do indeed have Star Energy. The question now is whether or not Wake's Star Energy is on par with the girls or if they still outclass him in that aspect.

Who the hell are you, anyway?

I have no reason to tell you. Ellie, until mine gets here, I'm going to borrow your X-Machina. If you're going to be sitting around here doing nothing, I'll hunt down the Heretics. Also, you'd better erase this guy's memory. It'll just cause trouble later. Sheesh, I can't believe you.

Hold up. I asked who the hell you are.

Don't touch me!

*Lucian knocks Wake's hand away. I presume. There was a white flash on screen*

...I don't like your mug, but it looks like you've still got life in your eyes. Fine. If you want to do this, then I'll take you on. Bring it.

Lucian, that's enough! Please, don't hurt him!

It's incredibly adorable that you think you stand a chance against me.

...Th-This island is under my jurisdiction, by the order of Gracia. If you won't heed my orders, I will request to the Cardinal that you be punished! If they find out you picked a fight with a God's Gift, you won't be let off easy!

...Tch. You're lucky I didn't hand you your rear end. Go frolic and play with the other children. ...But you stay away from her from now on.

Please, like I'd ever be scared of you.

*Lucian leaves*

I-I'm sorry about that... Um... I'll make some tea. Please, come up to my room.

-Ellie's Room-

Um... Here. It's tea. I want to take a breather, too, so I'll have some as well. It's hot. Please be careful.

Don't try and sidestep this issue, Ellie. Not this time.

That's not my intention. I just wanted some time to sort out my feelings...

What's going on? Who was that clown?

He's a year younger than me, but he's more experienced. As to his personality... As you can see, he's something of a rascal.

That is not a 'rascal'.

Anyway, is that all you're going to tell me?

Yes. I can't say any more...

So I'm guessing that "Heretic" thing is a secret too, huh?

Yes... That would be the case. I can't tell you anything more.

*sigh* Yeah, that figures. Fine. I won't ask anything else. Stop giving me that look.

I'm truly sorry. Um... So, about what Lucian was saying about your memories...

Can you even do that?

If I use Gracia's secret spell, yes.

Um, I'm going to try negotiating with the Church. If I erase your memories, it'll likely impact your bond with me in some way. If I explain it that way, it might work out.

And please... don't come here anymore... Just... Just act like you didn't hear anything at all. I don't want to have to erase your memory.

Ellie, if you or anyone else from Gracia tries to erase my memories, then Star God might literally erase the Gracia Church. Do not go loving with him. Ruby is already doing that and I highly doubt it's going to work out well for her.

Either way, we'll leave it at that for now.

Thank you. Um... Do you hate me now?

Why would I hate you?

Well... Normally someone would hate me after something like that. It's only natural that you wouldn't want to get involved with a girl like me.

I don't hate you Ellie, relax.

(You're really pissing me off with these secrets, but I wouldn't say I hate you as a person. Lucian, on the other hand...)

Thank you... I... I'm not trying to get you to like me! I just don't want you to hate me... Please don't hate me, no matter what kind of girl I may be...

Let's just stop talking about this. How's the leak in your roof holding up?

Wait... Did you come all the way here just to check on that?

You came here, in the rain, just for that?

It's pouring outside. How could I not drop in to check on it? Plus, I still have your umbrella from before. Thanks for that.

Oh no, it was nothing... But thank you for worrying about me.

Hm? But... Do you have another umbrella? It's pouring outside right now...

I might have forgotten one. Still, let me give this back. A little water won't hurt.

Heehee... That's fine. You can keep it for as long as you need. ...You never change. I feel a little relieved.

As long as I'm at this Academy, please just let me be the Disciple you know...

That's all I want right now...

So that sure as hell was a thing. Now we know what Ellie's work for the Church is, even if she still pretends like it's a secret. The fact that Official Wake can't piece it together based on context is kind of baffling.

Unfortunately, we are obviously not done with Lucian. Just FYI. We're aren't even done with him for this set of bonding events. He'll be making another appearance in the next update.

So before that, let's try and clean the palette a bit. Take a little detour to chat with some people.

What's Mark up to?

-Laboratory-

Hello there. I heard from Chlotz you joined the Fencing Club. That must keep you pretty busy.

Yeah, but I think it's worth it. Helps me train.

Though, to tell you the truth, it took a while to get him to settle down. But he's a fast learned. I can see that he's Chloe's brother after all.

I just wish I could get him to focus a little more. He's always snooping around looking for confidential documents... And the Chief always catches him and gives him an earful.

Yeah, he is incredibly nosy. You guys probably should have screened for that before hiring him on.

She leaves confidential documents just lying around? That's not really Chlotz "snooping around" so much as it is Ruby being horrible at her job.

Ruby sucks at her job, what do you know? Big surprise.

But you know what? He's my first apprentice.

I guarantee he'll surpass me after I train him.

That's good to hear. At least he has someone giving him a goal in life besides 'Star Conception Festival'. Just don't let Ruby influence him too much. Where is she anyway?

Hm? I hate to disappoint, but Chief Ruby is out at the moment.

Fine by me. I didn't drop in to see her anyway. I was just wondering.

You don't need to make excuses. Were you hoping you'd see her?

I'm sorry... I know you're not the type.

A few show up under the pretense of training at Renda... But if she's not around, they are out of here faster than you can imagine.

Yes, I've had the misfortune of running into at least one of the poor suckers.

And of course she just encourages them with all of her flirting. I don't want to see poor Chlotz get tangled in her web... But I can't see myself saving him from that.

You are FAR too late to prevent that. You were too late the moment we walked through those doors for the first time.

I'm just going to have to hope that he can see through it.

I wouldn't be too worried. I'm pretty sure working with her is slowly chipping away at his rose colored glasses. Not to mention that another girl has caught his eye pretty hard recently. Ruby won't have him for much longer.

I'll take your word for it.

Hm?

Oh... It's nothing. Nothing at all.

Hey, if you still have some time, why not train for a bit while you're here? Alright, I gotta get back to work.

Ruby claims another poor soul. At least Chlotz has a chance to break away.

We'll go back to the heroines for now. Time for Narika and her whole...thing.

-Ritual Hall-

Narika, are you ready to--

Yes. I've been waiting for you to ask.

Please come a little bit closer this time.

You're... different, today. Aren't you still nervous?

A little bit, but I think it's important to be bold for these rituals. Which is why I'm trying to stay upbeat this time...

Okay, well that works for me I suppose. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

N-Now then... Let's do this quickly and smoothly...

Your voice sounds awful shaky. Maybe you're pushing yourself a bit too much. Oh well, if this is how you want it to be. Let's get it started.

Whoa! Uhh... hold on, what's with that--

Too late, Wake! It's new class time!

Berserker is another specialty class. They have relatively balanced stats, with a bit of a tendency towards DEF/MDF and LUC.

Their main draw are their skills. One of the big ones is 'Silent Killing', which has a chance to just instantly kill an enemy. They also get stuff like DEF boost and a poison inflicting attack.

'Silent Killing' is also a skill that can be combined with one of the Hunter's that will create a Team Skill called 'Killing Field'. Killing Field is an all direction, non-element, attack that has a chance to instantly kill the enemy. It's a pretty effective move to spam. I doubt I'll be using it though. Instant Death chance moves are not usually my play style.

Whew... *pant* So... what did you think of the ritual today?

I think it went well. You really relaxed after a while.

I'm glad it worked. You're right, I realized I was more much comfortable.

You're pretty good at it, but the suddenness of your attitude shift was too obvious.

(Oh thank Star God, that was an act. That look really freaked me out...)

You don't have to try so hard. Just relax and be yourself. It'll be a lot easier that way.

All right. I'll try to simply act natural next time. I'm looking forward to it...

-Hallway-

Oh, hello, Wake. I just finished a student council meeting.

Oh, hey. Want to tell me about it? I've got some time to kill. Somehow.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Church officials were visiting today, so the meeting was very formal.

Sounds pretty intense. Were you nervous?

(Also, why didn't they want to talk to me at all? Seriously, am I important or not?)

Hee hee... I think the others were.

Did you say praying? That actually works?

(Maybe that's been my problem... Oops.)

Oh... don't worry, it's nothing.

Okay then. By the way, why did you want to come back to the classroom?

I'm drafting a proposal for the next Strategy Conference.

Riight. There's still one more of those things.

Keep up the good work, then. Although, you might want not want to hold your head so close to the desk. You might bang it.

I don't think I have to worry about that. I may be clumsy, but I'm not that bad.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

Anyway, you seem really invested in this Strategy Conference thing lately.

I have to fix the flaws in my approach that Sasami pointed out last time... So that this time, it'll be perfect! I'll beat Sasami, I just know it! After all, there's no point in competing if you don't try to win.

Ehh, I guess that's kind of true. Sort of. You certainly seem ready this time, at least.

Speaking of, you've really change a lot recently, Narika. You've come a long way from that first conference.

You think so too?

I'm glad. All this work is beginning to pay off.

You might want to tone down the 'beating Sasami' thing though. I mean, I'm far from being a fan of her and I do REALLY want to see her get a taste of her own medicine, but you don't want this becoming an obsession. The point of all of this is to figure out the best proposal for the Disciples, right?

That's true, but...

Sure. What do you need?

Could you read over my rough draft to see if there are any problems with it?

I can give it a shot, sure.

Thank you.

Could you follow me?

...Whhhyyy? What's wrong with doing it here?

I don't want Sasami listening in like she did last time... Let's go.

Okay, fair point. She is pretty nosy.

-Student Council Room-

Sounds good. These chairs look way more comfortable than our class--

*click*

...Why did you lock the door?

For security reasons. More importantly, take a look at the rough draft I made.

Oookay. Well, let's see what you've got then.

So, what do you think of my plan?

I can tell you as soon as you stop holding on to me like that. It's a little hard to concentrate like this.

:raise: Where the hell is that saxophone coming from? I'm serious.

Now, what do you think about this part? *giggle* Give me your honest opinion. I could use a nudge in the right direction.

Um, Narika? You want to maybe...

*giggle* Don't be shy! Come on, this is a little embarrassing for me... When I'm alone with you, my heart never stops pounding.

...That's...nice?

*clears throat* Well, the draft looks pretty good to me. I don't see any major problems with it.

Oh, thank goodness. That's a load off my mind.

You seem pretty different lately...

Wait a minute, you haven't been taking advice from Ruby, have you? This reeks of her.

*Narika loving books it*

Hey! Wait! Don't just--

......The gently caress just happened?

That was... Actually, that's a drat fine question.

Things are getting too weird up in here. Speaking of Ruby's poison influence...

-Laboratory-

I was just thinking about you. I have a question.

Okay. We'll see if I have an answer. What's the question?

So, are you and Chlotz together?

What are you getting at?

No, Ruby. We are not dating.

Mmm... But that would explain everything... I have empirical evidence from your Classmanting results... The Star Conception Rate between you and Chlotz was the highest.

And? I don't recall that Classmanting thing producing much in the way of results.

True, no Star Child was born... But we predicted it would be the highest between God's Gift and an S Rank Disciple.

Classmating is all about bonds. What would lead you to believe that Alec would produce a better result than Chlotz? Chlotz has been hanging around me since I got here. Alec and me beat the crap out of each other and only recently became actual friends. Not to mention that Alec still isn't a team player kind of guy.

That's nothing but speculation, it isn't hard evidence.

Besides, you and Chlotz always look so cute together.

So sorry to have ruined that little creepy fantasy for you.

Wait! You're young, you're both single. There's still a chance, right?

Ruby, I'm surrounded daily by seven different women that I'm supposed to get as close as possible to for the sake of the world. Not to mention the random Disciples wandering around the Academy that might want a piece of me.

It's not going to happen. Chlotz is a friend, but that doesn't mean I want to hook up with him.

Doesn't mean that YET... There's still a 1% chance you'll live happily ever after?

I'm going to walk away now.

(I knew she was up to something.)

Ruby is apparently a Yaoi fangirl. She is not the only one in this Academy. Several of the female Disciples apparently ship Wake and Alec together a lot as well. This Academy is weird.

Chloe will wrap things up for us. At least her and her route seem pretty normal. Mostly.

-Ritual Hall-

Let's begin, Chloe.

Sure, I was waiting for you.

Awesome. Show me what you can do, then.

Last new class for the time being. Gambler is fairly easy to guess. They have high LUC, SPD, TEC, and MDF, but pitiful ATK and DEF. They deal with a lot of status and chance type skills.

They can Seal (which is the Status Effect that overrides all other Status Effects and prevents skill use), paralyze, instant death, silence, all sorts of fun stuff. Assuming that luck is on your side anyway.

I mostly just really like their designs.

*pant* *pant* Phew...

You feeling okay?

Yeah, I'm fine. I can't explain it, but I feel so happy when I'm with you.

I've been hearing something to that effect a lot lately.

I have a twinkle in my eye? I might want to get that checked out...

-Faculty Room-

You there, Chloe?

Hey, I've been waiting for you.

Event?

Remember, I got a letter?

You mean the fan letter?

Close, but not quite. It's about the concert being held at the Field Hospital. The hospital shifted some dates around on us, so now there's a rush to get there.

Why is Chlotz here?

Come on, time's a-wasting. Let's go to the Field Hospital ASAP!

A-Alright, thanks.

Why isn't anyone keeping me informed about anything?

-Field Hospital-

Looks like we made it. Although I'm not sure how.

[Female Disciple C]: Ms. Chloe, over here! There's no time left until the show's supposed to start. Please hurry.

I'm gonna go check out the concert hall, so you stay with Chloe.

I feel more like a bodyguard than a manager. Chlotz seems to be doing everything I'm supposed to be responsible for.

(I can't believe I just said that as if it were a bad thing. What is wrong with me?)

-Dressing Room-

[Female Disciple C]: This is your dressing room. Please change into your outfit as quickly as possible.

How would I know? Nobody tells me anything. Don't you carry it with you?

My brother was in charge of all that, but I don't see it anywhere.

*sigh* Yeah, that figures.

What about what you have on now? Isn't that an outfit?

Of course it does. Stay right here, it must be down in the car or something.

*Wake rushes out to track down the outfit, then returns in a flash*

I've got it. Where are you?

Over here. Could you pass it to me around the partition screen?

Sure thing. Here--Sonofa!

*shriek*

Ugh... sorry. Let me just... Oomph...

Wh-What is it? What happened?

You've got your knee... on my...

Huh? ...I-Iyaaaah!

*pant* *pant* Alright, I'm sorry but that was not my fault, I didn't know where...

It's cool, it's cool... just...

No worries there. H-Here's your outfit.

Right, thank you, Mr. Manager.

-Concert Venue...Field Hospital...Rooftop...some combination of those-

See what I mean about costume possibilities? Why didn't they make that stage outfit into another costume? Would have been better than Chloe's current dungeon outfit.

[Male Disciple A]: Your show rocked, Ms. Chloe!

[Female Disciple B]: Lovely as always, Chloe!

Looks like everything turned out fine. I thought the outfit thing was going to put an end to it.

Hmph, despicable. Concerts are frivolous nonsense that corrupt heroic spirits.

Yeah, that's right. To make up for Fuuko/Torri not having any douchebags in their routes (that we currently know of), Chloe's is going to double up. This has...this has been a fun update...

I found this one to be quite intriguing. After that concert, even our most desperate cases seem to be revitalized. It's remarkable that a concert could have such an influence. We should investigate.

He's also one of those types. You know, the kind of person in a fantasy world that doesn't believe in magic or supernatural poo poo. Hey Mystery Man, you do know that there's an entire loving thing called the Curative Orchestra System which releases Star Energy or some crap that has healing effects, right? Like, that's a thing that exists that students use as a way to kill some time when they're bored. This isn't some whack-job feel-good theory, it has actual basis in (this world's) reality.

These NPC's, man.

Please let them know that there are to be no more concerts held on the premises.

(Who is that guy next to Ruby? Actually, I probably don't want to know. If he's an acquaintance of hers then I want no part of that.)

Um, excuse me.

Hm? Oh, what's up?

Why not give it to her yourself? Hang on.

*Wake proceeds to wave Chloe over*

What's the matter?

She's got something she wants to give you. I figured it was better to do it in person.

U-Um, h-here...

Aw, how cute. This is such pretty pink stationery. Thank you very much.

My name's Millica! I had so much fun today! Your songs cheer me up.

That's great, but you should probably still be in bed, champ.

Um... Can you sing again sometime? I want to hear you sing again!

Okay, it's Manager time, Chloe. You should maybe take a second to--

Of course, I promise. Let's do a pinky swear!

Yay! Pinky, pink, bow-bell, no one tells a lie!

This can only end positively.

See you next time, bye-bye!

*Millica leaves*

I'm glad I did this. Seeing her so happy really makes it feel worthwhile.

Hey, you're happy about it. That's what matters to me. Let's go celebrate.

You're just as much of a buzzkill as Mark is. You realize that means we can't let you drink either, right?

Haha, right.

Oh, by the way. You going to read that letter she gave you?

Sure. Let's see... Oh dear...

She's suffering from a chronic illness. She's been here for over half a year.

She says that my songs have given her hope.

That's nice to hear.

Should we head back now?

And there's Chloe Part 1, as well as Narika and Ellie Part 1. We'll check out the second half of their events in the next update. There's a new gameplay feature we have to look at.

Once you have raised the bonding gauges of the heroines to a certain point (basically once you reach this chapter), a new Classmating option unlocks.

-Church of Aterra-

Hey, you called for me?

Yes. Thank you for coming.

There's a "next level"? Do I want to know what that is?

Perhaps you've heard of it from rumors here and there...

The next level... "Trimating".

Oh please no...

Doing so will allow you to create even more powerful Star Children than before. However, Trimating requires a very strong bond with all your partners.

But, I have a feeling that you'd have strong bonds with several people by now.

Stronger Star Children: This is awesome. Taking the girls who are only just now getting comfortable with Classmating and making them do it with each other: That is not awesome.

Could we maybe hold off on this for a little bit until I can make sure they--

Ruby has already informed your partners about this.

drat it, Ruby!

According to Ruby, they all seem prepared for it. I'm sure they will be happy to perform the ritual with you. And with each other.

I assure you, you are both completely wrong. Do you know how long it's taken some of them to be comfortable enough just to touch me? Feene poked my hand with her finger and considered that to be a massive achievement for her.

I'm sure God's Gift will have no difficulty. Do not worry so much.

*sigh* Easy for you guys to say. Well, not much I can do about it now thanks to Ruby. Going to have to make the best of it.

You say something?

Er, ah, nothing. That is all.

I have great hopes for you Disciples. Work hard for the sake of world peace.

Now we can Trimate!

Very straightforward. When you are able to do it, the little Trimate label will show up behind a heroine on the Classmate screen.

It uses more BP, but it produces better Star Children. You also have a better chance at getting twins (which is actually something that still hasn't triggered for me yet).

Quite possibly the most useful aspect to Trimating though, is that stat spreads of the heroines are combined. So if I took Chloe and Narika for example.

You can see the yellow graph on the right is much bigger. These two together, at the moment, are able to make any class that has been unlocked so far. Because I have been keeping everyone relatively leveled, pretty much any combination of heroines will let me make whatever I want.

So at this point, the only real limit I have to classes are those unlocked by leveling up other classes, those that need special items, or those that only unlock under other conditions such as story progress.

I don't have any more new ones to show off at the moment though. We've been through most of the 'easy' classes so far. The remainder all have little conditions and stuff that I have to meet while some are just gated by story. I'll save them up as they become available to try and make sure we have something new to see every chapter.

That's it for now. The next update will see the continuation of Chloe/Narika/Ellie events, and they are a combination of weird and irritating (yes, Lucian will return).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 17, 2018

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

I think I may have stopped playing this just before chapter 6, but that was years ago. Christ, I forgot just how many rear end in a top hat NPCs there were in this game. Especially Ruby.

Speaking of which, are there any routes that DON'T feature jerks? The only ones that come to mind are Fuuko, Torri (maybe?) and Serina, but the latter is insufferable enough all on her own.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ellie's an assassin? Wouldn't have picked her for it, but okay.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Meant to post this for a few days now, but I think I know what's up with Torrie's lopsided stats. High defense, high speed, low damage? She's meant to sit directly in front of a boss and build your chain gauge. Given that its a very different role than you'd find in other RPGs I'm not surprised that it didn't pop out immediately.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Lone Badger posted:

Ellie's an assassin? Wouldn't have picked her for it, but okay.
That's how you know she's a good assassin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Harem route is going to have heptamating, isn't it? :shepicide:
(Octamating? Kinda lost count on the heroine count)

Apart from that, I like Feene so far. Alt outfit for her

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TracerK posted:

I think I may have stopped playing this just before chapter 6, but that was years ago. Christ, I forgot just how many rear end in a top hat NPCs there were in this game. Especially Ruby.

Speaking of which, are there any routes that DON'T feature jerks? The only ones that come to mind are Fuuko, Torri (maybe?) and Serina, but the latter is insufferable enough all on her own.

I consider Serina to be the jerk NPC for her own route. That being said, I think she might still have one.

I can't say anything about future route events, but I can say that I still have like 2-4 character icons that definitely look like jerkasses. Then there's 2-4 more that look fine but could easily still be jerks (like Sasami).

Ashsaber posted:

Meant to post this for a few days now, but I think I know what's up with Torrie's lopsided stats. High defense, high speed, low damage? She's meant to sit directly in front of a boss and build your chain gauge. Given that its a very different role than you'd find in other RPGs I'm not surprised that it didn't pop out immediately.

Never really thought about it that way, but it certainly seems like it would be her intended function. I never conciously chain unless I see a perfect opportunity, because most every enemy outside of bosses go down in 1-3 attacks.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Omobono posted:

Harem route is going to have heptamating, isn't it? :shepicide:
(Octamating? Kinda lost count on the heroine count)

Apart from that, I like Feene so far. Alt outfit for her

just loving throw all the girls in the academy into that chamber at the same time make star god poo poo bricks

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why stop there? Have God's Gift do the Spirit Bomb pose to gather from all the world's Star Energy and produce the Ultimate Star Child(ren).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Bonding Focus: Chapter 4(Part 2): Ellie, Narika, Chloe~

So last time some stuff happened. Various kinds of stuff.

Ellie is some kind of Church assassin. Narika was uncharacteristically flirty and in control. Chloe held a concert for sick kids and made a little girl walk again.

We will now check out how all three of those events will unfold. After that, you guys have a big choice to make.

-Shooting Range-

I'm going to stick to this reverse order thing and open with Ellie. No need to change it up for what could be Ellie/Narika/Chloe's last update.

No surprise to find you here. Look, I brought some tea. Take a load off for a second.

Ooh, thank you.

Do you carry those things with you everywhere?

Mmhmm, ever since I made them for you.

I may have no sense of taste, but I've gotten hooked on this unique sweet smell. Please feel free to have one, if you like.

Sure, why not?

Aheheh... Well, I'll have one too. Thanks for the tea. *crunch*

Bleargh!?

Well, looks like my snack break is now ruined.

L-Lucian!? What're you doing here...

G-Guards! We have a trespasser! Guaaaaaaards!

Cut the crap.

*Lucian bops Ellie, I think*

(This little moron has no idea the kind of fire he's playing with.)

I-I'm against violence!

Really? Even in your current position?

Seriously, why'd you come here?

I can finally start searching for Heretics and get some results. Yours is parked out front. Ride it home. That's all I came here for.

N-No way. That thing's so ugly! There's no way I'm riding that thing home. I've been walking in and out of the Academy up until now so I wouldn't stand out... Now all that work's going to be for nothing!

Spelling/grammar errors are still cropping up regularly. "That's thing's" being one of them. I was going to put a sic in since it was official dialog, but I couldn't in good conscious leave it uncorrected.

Enough whinging. Do your job.

*Lucian hits her again*

St-Stop hitting me like that! He's the only one allowed to hit me like that!

Excuse me!?

Wh-What do you mean, "into"?

What are you doing here, God's Gift? I thought I told you to stay away from Ellie.

What makes you think I'd listen to your barking?

C'mon, come at me, bro.

I can't believe you just said that. You really need an rear end-kicking now.

This is gonna be fun...

Hey!

*Ellie hits Lucian*

Ow.

You too, Wake.

Hey!

That isn't happening, Ellie.

Dammit, this is payback from earlier, isn't it... Well, fine, "God's Gift." Don't get all high-and-mighty just because Gracia won't let use erase your memories. You just try saying a word about what you've learned. If you do, I'll wipe your brain until it's as smooth as a billiard ball. Got it?

You have no idea who it is you're loving with.

Lucian, you'd better ride the X-Machina back, or else!

*Lucian leaves*

Ugh... I'm exhausted. My school life was so peaceful... Then he had to come destroy it...

So, Gracia has a ban on trying to memory wipe me, huh? Smart move on their part.

Eep! drat it, Lucian, you just had to open your stupid mouth again... Can he really be that stupid...?

If that's the case, then why don't you just tell me everything?

I-I can't. There's so much that you don't need to be told.

Ellie.

I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean to raise my voice. But I want you and me to stay the way we are now... There are things in this world that you're better off not knowing...

That's bullshit, Ellie. Why can't you just trust me?

Huh...?

I've already found out a bunch of stuff, but even though we are friends you still try and conceal the rest.

But fine, forget about it. If you don't want to say it, then I'm not going to force you. I am going to pay you back for hitting me though.

C'mon, do it! Go ahead!

Alright then.

What are you waiting for!? Do it!

*Wake taps her on the head*

Huh...?

I saw him bop you on the head, I figured I might as well get in on that. Except I'm not an rear end in a top hat... okay, not a complete rear end in a top hat. So you just get a tap.

...Why?

As much as I might hate him, the two of you seem to be pretty close.

I like people who are kind, like you and everyone else here. I'd rather be close to people who are kind to someone tiny and stupid like me...

Okay, okay, stop that. We're not going down that street again. You're not tiny and stupid.

*Bell rings*

Oh... That's the end-of-lunch bell. You should hurry back to class, Wake.

You're not going to go?

Um... I'm going to take a quick look around before I head back.

I'd hate it if Lucian really left me X-Machina outside...

What is that thing, anyway?

I-It's just a vehicle! It looks, um...

Well, it kind of stands out...

Th-That's all it is, really! Well, please excuse me!

Oh, Ellie. One more thing.

Hm?

Just a warning. I don't care if you tell him about this or not, but just keep this in mind. This city is crawling with my Star Children, and I'm adding more of them every week. If they ever happen to catch Lucian threatening me like that, they will descend on him like a nest of fire ants and rip him limb from limb, then scatter those limbs throughout the nearest Labyrinth.

...O-Okay...

I'm not sure why she tap dances around the X-Machina thing. It's just a fantasy motorcycle. She's got to have some way of getting around this island in a hurry after all.

Oh well, at least Lucian is out of our hair for a while. That's something to be happy about.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

We haven't seen Chlotz in a while. Well, I mean in sub-events, not so much story stuff. What's been happening with him?

Bye, Luce.

Hey there, Chlotz.

Hm? Oh, hey man.

Having a little private time with Luce, huh?

Dude!? You stalking me? Don't stalk me man, that's not cool!

Stalking is such an ugly word. I was simply wandering. I just happened to wander by around the time that you two were getting close.

Yet? Is that so.

You know what I mean!

*sigh* Geez! Thanks to my sister, everybody thinks "Oh my Star God, Chlotz looooooooves Luce." Just... don't be like her and start spreading rumors.

Please, like I would do that. Regardless of what I might be, I am not a gossiper.

I've got my eye on you.

*Chlotz leaves*

Huh, so this is what it feels like. I'm starting to see why Chlotz does this to me all the time.

Teasing Chlotz is fun. It's nice to see him with an innocent schoolboy crush as opposed to his pervy drooling over Ruby, Narika, Feene, and make-believe S Ranked girls.

Ignoring that for now, it's Strategy Conference time! The final vote is here and Narika is pumped up. I'm hoping for some sweet Sasami bashing myself. I want at least one of these jerk NPC's to get what's coming to them.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

The third conference is finally here.

I know. I've been counting the days...

You mean for the Grand Conference thing?

The Disciples will review the proposals from each conference, including this one.

And the one that wins gets submitted to that Anti-Monster Strategy Council, right? Seems like a big deal.

It would be a great honor.

You know, if your plan wins then you're going to be the center of attention at the Academy, right?

That would be a little embarrassing, but I plan on doing my best.

You really have gotten better. That would have shaken you up a few months ago.

In any case, this is going to be our last chance.

So do you see why this is such an important day for me?

Of course I do.

Well, let's make our way to the conference.

-Auditorium-

[Council President]: Now that each proposal has been made, we will proceed to the second phase.

Permission to speak?

[Council President]:Go ahead. I'm looking forward to an active debate on the proposals.

(Looking forward to this so much. Come on, Narika.)

...So you can see how there might be many obstacles to this approach. Could you share with us your ideas on how these obstacles might be overcome?

So... you don't have an answer now?

Erm...

[Male Disciple B]: It's rare to see Sasami cornered like that.

[Female Disciple A]: Narika's really feisty today. Who is this and what has she done with Narika...?

Sasami, I'm waiting on an answer.

*sigh* I admit, there are some flaws with the proposal as submitted.

[Male Disciple B]: Wow. Narika's completely outclassing Sasami.

[Male Disciple A]: Wh-What!? Me!?

Just because you're an upperclassman doesn't mean I'll go easy on you.

Why do you have to pick on third-year guy? He seemed alright. I mean, I guess it is a debate, but he hasn't exactly been a force of reckoning during these things. Just let him enjoy Sasami's defeat with you, Narika.

[Council President]: This ends the debate phase. We will now commence the voting.

[Male Disciple A]: I never realized there were so many holes in my proposal... Narika's got a scarily sharp eye.

*Later*

[Council President]: The votes are in and we have a winner. The proposal that will advance is... Our second-years' proposal to eliminate the monsters through siege tactics.

Hold up. Narika's proposal was to use siege tactics? Isn't that what they're already doing? Can we not revisit the whole 'supply lines' and 'medivac' issues? I feel like those are really important.

[Female Disciple A]: That was amazing, Narika! What a comeback!

[Male Disciple B]: Even I voted for her. She was so cool up on stage.

[Council President]: Narika will submit this plan to the Anti-Monster Strategy Council... which will include the Academy, the Church, and AngelMarker Industries.

But not the government? Do those guys do anything in this world?

Understood. And I will be sure to act properly as the Academy's representative.

-Hallway-

Oh, Wake...!

Congratulations, Narika. You really pulled it off.

That conference was all yours, Narika Shina.

Oh, Sasami.

(Gonna enjoy this.)

It's just as I thought! When you apply yourself, you're amazing. I always looked up to you... I was so honored to be up on that stage with you for the conference.

(That's the excuse she's going with? Really?)

I know it might be too late to ask for a favor, but... may I shake your hand? I'd like to remember this as the day that I had a spirited debate with you.

Huh?

It was only natural that I won. I see no need to fraternize with the enemy.

B-But...

*Narika leaves*

...Why would she act that way? That's not the Narika I admire...

She gave you a taste of yourself, that's all. You sort of deserved it after that tearing down you did.

...I... I just...

That being said, yeah, something is totally going on with her. She is not herself.

Wait, you agree with me? Then why didn't you say anything earlier?

Are you kidding? I've been waiting to see you get dunked on since the first conference. I wasn't going to interrupt that.

You're such--

--an rear end. Yeah, I know. Congratulations on catching up to the rest of the class. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on Narika and figure out what's going on. Maybe it's just her "nerves", right?

Did Narika and Sasami swap personalities or something?

Also, screw you Sasami. You can't go and tear someone down twice and then go 'that was just me being nervous. Oops.' I could understand that during the debate, but you went out of your way to interrupt her practicing in order to poo poo all over her. I know you can't go helping competition, but if you looked up to her and admired her then you could have at least wished her the best.

What is wrong with the students in this Academy? Must be something in the water.

Speaking of things wrong with the students at this academy, let's check back with Chlotz for an update on the Trigger situation.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Nothing new unfortunately. Leads kind of dried up after we cleared that Nest.

Same here.

I started asking around the other grades and the Standard classes too. It's amazing how hard it is to find this stuff when you start looking for it.

Though I did find out one thing... Nearly half of the student body knew about Trigger, even if they thought it was a rumor. Both Standard and Elite classes.

No surprise there. Stuff like that tends to spread like wildfire once students start hearing about it.

Some idiots thought I was selling it. I played along but they didn't know anything.

People around here are kind of stupid, Chlotz. Combine that with the belief that being an Elite or S Rank will set them on easy street for life, and it's understandable why people would take the bait.

Unfortunately, that means it's up to the reasonable people to put a stop to all of this. We need to keep up the search.

I'm going to keep asking around.

Sherlock Homes and John Watson are on the case. I'll let you decide who is who. Hopefully these two will have better investigative luck in this next event, because this one is a doozy. Prepare for some bullshit.

-Faculty Office-

Chloe, you--

*Chlotz busts in*

Whoa! Hey, watch it Chlotz! What's wrong with you?

What can possibly have you so worked up?

We can't talk in here. Both of you, follow me.

That's always a good sign. Looking forward to this.

-Hallway-

You mean in the hallway? Sure, Chlotz. Totally privacy here.

I meant teachers. Just shut up for a second.

Take a look at this.

A picture...? Wait... That's me!

Wait, where did you get this? Is someone spying on Chloe?

Wh-Why would anyone do this!? I don't want to doubt my students, but...!

I bet your sudden rise in popularity has brought out the worst in some people.

What should I do?

We have to contain this before it spreads any further.

How would you handle it?

We should be able to track down the person behind it fairly easily. Take a closer look at the picture.

You better not be looking at what I think you are.

Chlotz, it's your turn to shut up for a second.

I meant the row of lockers behind her. This picture was taken in the dressing room, and those are normally locked. So the prime suspects are the people who have the keys.

You can count on me to find the culprit!

*Chlotz loving books it*

Chlotz! That's just a starting point! Don't start assaulting random--

Why do I bother? He isn't listening.

*Chlotz returns a very short time later*

Wait, really? It hasn't even been an hour. Who was it?

The freak is a first-year on the Combat Team. He even sold copies to his friends. He pled guilty the minute I confronted him about the hidden camera.

drat... I hate to admit this, but I'm impressed.

What a relief! I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Hey, I get the job done sometimes, y'know. So, what are we going to do with him?

Hell yeah. I like this Chlotz.

Come on now, that's way too harsh! I want to hear what he has to say about it. I'm going to talk to him, face-to-face. Don't do anything until then, okay?

Boooo...

*tsk* You're way too soft, Sis...

Sure... Can you guys wait here for a bit?

Watts looked really concerned about something.

I've got a really bad feeling about this.

Yes... I apologize for all the trouble.

Hey, she's back!

Get out of my way!

*Watts bumps or runs into Wake. Probably deliberately, because he's a dick*

Whoa! Hey!

Listen to me: you are Ms. Chloe's student. You are not her manager or anything else.

Five seconds.

Excuse me?

You have five seconds to get out of my sight before I gut you like a fish. Understand?

*Watts leaves*

Man, he's a dick as always.

Let me guess. He saw that photo, right?

That's complete garbage.

It gets worse. I'm also banned from all Choir Club concerts. I can't believe I let this get so far out of hand. I should have known better.

What!?

Why the heck should you be suspended!? You're the victim! Why does Watts get to act like such a tyrant!?

That's what I want to know! Who the gently caress is this Watts guy!? He is not the Headmaster. We already know the Headmaster of the Academy is Mattero. Random-rear end teachers can't just go around suspending their co-workers!

Mr. Watts used to be an elite Disciple. He was actually quite strong in his prime.

I don't care about his life story. I'm going to go give him a piece of my mind!

Count me in, too. I don't give a rat's rear end how he thinks things should be.

Wait! Don't worry about it, I've already accepted full responsibility.

And we're supposed to just sit here and take Watts' crap!?

What the gently caress, Chloe!? You were the victim of a crime! Why would you do something like that?

I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing. *sigh* I should have done more to cut this fan club off earlier.

It's not your fault. You've done everything you could.

Still, I wish I could go to the concert. I promised Millica I would be there.

...Great. Just great.

There are so many things wrong about what just happened. I want to say that there was a translation error and Chloe was supposed to say "under the condition that he pursue the culprit", but this is Chloe we're talking about. She's too nice for her own good, so she almost certainly tried to protect the voyeur.

I hope everyone had fun with those bonding events! So many good times, and fun characters, and illegal as poo poo activities that are not being punished.

Let's shift gears to something else. Something important. I've been mentioning it since the end of Chapter 3 and now is finally the time.

-Heroine Focus: Vote #2-

We've followed the chosen focus heroines through three batches of Bonding Events. Now that Feene has completed the group, it's time to take another vote and see if the LP will stay the course or mix things up.

-Current Focus Heroines-

-Other Heroines

Here's where things currently stand. Chloe, Narika, and Ellie have been focused on up until now. Fuuko, Serina, Feene, and Torri have been on the sidelines, but I provided a summary on what all of them have been up to in their routes. The question becomes: Has the thread gotten bored enough of Chloe, Narika, or Ellie's route to want to replace them?

Maybe one of the other Heroines seems more interesting now? We did get to find out what happens when their routes finally start kicking into gear.

In case you need a refresher, here:

- Chloe
Bonding Events: Update 3.5, Update 4.5, Chapter 2 Bonding, Chapter 3 Bonding Part 1, Chapter 3 Bonding Part 2, Chapter 4 Bonding Part 1, Chapter 4 Bonding Part 2 (This update)

Short Summary: Chloe is super smart and has a a ton of fans. She eventually gets roped into singing, then being a DJ, then performing charity concerts at a Field Hospital and magically improving everyone's health. Then a scumbag took secret pictures of her while she was changing and through some fuckery she has been suspended from her teaching duties. She is also banned from being a DJ and doing concerts, which is going to be a bummer for the little sick girl that really wants to hear her sing again.

- Narika
Bonding Events: Update 3.5, Update 4.5, Chapter 2 Bonding, Chapter 3 Bonding Part 1, Chapter 3 Bonding Part 2, Chapter 4 Bonding Part 1, Chapter 4 Bonding Part 2 (This update)

Short Summary: Narika is really shy, but wants to not be shy. She works hard to be a better public speaker and eventually ends up getting roped into presenting at a series of Strategy Conferences. She blows the first one and Wake has to step in, her 'rival' rips into her, Narika refuses to give up, and she proceeds to do a little better in the second conference. Then she suddenly gets uncharacteristically flirty and confident, destroys the competition during the final Conference, is chosen to represent the Academy at the big Conference, then her personality completes its 180 and she starts acting like a complete dick to her formal rival that was trying to make amends.

- Ellie

Short Summary: Ellie is really mysterious, and kind of stalks Wake. Wake eventually remembers her as a girl that he met when he was young. Ellie was dying, but Wake's Ether managed to keep her alive long enough for the Church to save her life. Once he remembers who she is, Ellie then starts being mysterious in other ways. She's doing secret work for the Church and keeps saying that she can't tell anyone about it. Wake eventually catches her talking to her co-worker and the reader (not Official Wake, because he doesn't piece the incredibly obvious signs together) comes to learn that Ellie is a Church Assassin charged with hunting down something/people called 'Heretics'.

- Fuuko
Bonding Events: Update 3.5, Update 4.5, Route Summary (Bottom of Post)

Short Summary: Fuuko is really average, or at least she thinks she is. Wake basically drags her to the pool in order to get her to join the club that she would actually enjoy, the Swimming Club. Fuuko and Wake then discover that a ghost is haunting the Academy pool at night. Fuuko lets the ghost possess her body to try and let the ghost live out her final regrets in life so that she can finally move on to the afterlife. The ghost then immediately starts hitting on Wake. Fuuko gets jealous. Dating Wake doesn't work, and Ms. Ghost is still tied to the mortal world. Fuuko and Wake then continue searching for a way to free her.

- Serina
Bonding Events: Update 6.5, Route Summary (Bottom of Post)

Short Summary: Serina is really angry, because she's not tall and busty. Serina is angry at Wake for accidentally touching her chest and she wants to make sure that both him and the audience knows that she will never let that go. She chugs Milk all the time in the belief that it will help her grow very fast. When that doesn't seem to be panning out, she turns to spells from a trashy tabloid. The transformation spell actually works, because Wake's crazy Ether levels make it work, and Serina's body becomes everything she's always hoped for. Unfortunately the spell doesn't let her use Star Energy and burns out after an hour. Nonetheless, Serina is very pleased with herself and tries to rub it in people's faces, including that of her sister who seems like a really nice person undeserving of any spite.

- Torri
Bonding Events: Update 8.5, Route Summary (Bottom of Post)

Short Summary: Torri is weird and not knowledgeable about the world. Wake keeps an eye on her and feeds her because she keeps blowing her allowance and Ruby is kind of a neglectful guardian. Torri thinks Wake is really nice, so when Wake briefly mentions a soup his mom used to make using a rare herb, Torri runs off and almost gets herself killed trying to obtain it. Later, Torri carves a small bird out of wood, then modifies it to fly using her Star Energy. Wake checks on her again sometime later and finds that she has constructed an entire plane from scratch. The plane gets some lift, but Torri doesn't have the Star Energy left to make it really get altitude. After almost crashing into the school (and some Disciples), Torri vows to improve the plane. Alternative Summary: Torri likes birds because Birds = Flight = Symbolic of Freedom. Therefore, Torri wants to fly.

- Feene
Bonding Events: Update 10.5 (Bonding and Route Summary)

Short Summary: Feene is perfect and all the clubs want her. Feene doesn't want to join them though, because she feels she has a more important calling. Feene also has a love of Photography, which she won't have the chance to do if she goes joining the sportsball teams. Like Fuuko, Wake needs to get behind Feene and basically shove her towards her dream. Once she gets on board with the Photography Club idea, Wake joins up and begins taking pictures of her for her friends back home. Feene takes something stupid that Chlotz says as a fact, and resolves to pose naked for Wake one day, once he has learned how to take artistic pictures. There's also a girl on the Starball team that definitely wants to get some Feene lovin' and is doing what she can to drive Wake off.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 18, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Feene, Narika and Chloe

EDIT: Changing my vote because Chloe's route is insanity I must see the end of.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 19, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Um.
Feene
Feene
Fuuko

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Feene, Narika, and Chloe

The Church Assassin thing is interesting, but Ellie as a character annoys me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Chloe, Chloe, Feene

Feene seems cool and I mostly want to see Chloe's route to see where the gently caress they're going with this.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Feene, Feene, and Narika.

Feene really is my favorite character in this game, and I'm starting to think it's at least partially because she's just a decent person who is a little naive, making her stand out in a sea of rear end in a top hat NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Torri, Feene, Chloe

I do kind of want to see what passes for engineering as far as Torri is concerned. Also to find out just how... mediocrely they wrote her archetype.