Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a 7-8 inch android tablet to replace this piece of crap Huawei m3. Price isn't a problem. I would like something with great screen and battery, lightweight and at least android 7.1.2 but preferably 8. I mainly watch stuff with some gaming and reading mixed in. Being able to use it one handed is key, otherwise I'd get a good 10 inch unit.

Are there any? I liked my nexus 7 a lot until the battery wore out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I have an iPad Air Wifi 16gb I'd like to get rid of. The space is almost used up and its started hitching and crashing a lot. My main uses are internet browsing, youtube videos and marvel unlimited. I like the 10 inch form factor but I think I could go bigger. I'd really like a 4k screen if possible and a UI that's relatively smooth. I haven't used Android much at all since all my portable devices are apple. I'd also like an SD slot but 32/64gb should be fine. Bonus points if I can trade in my iPad for a few bucks. Does anyone have a good suggestion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2018 iPad

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Why do you recommend a new ipad over an android?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mostly because there's not really any Android tablets to recommend since no one really makes them other than Chinese companies that you'll get virtually no support or updates from.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Nvm.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 1, 2018

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So what's the word with large-ish Windows tablets these days? I have a Surface Pro 4 that bricked on me after a year. The Microsoft Store said they'd give me a refurb with a one(!) month warranty for the low low price of $500 so I'm kinda gunshy about trusting them again.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently borked my old Samsung Galaxy Tab S from 2014 and am looking for a replacement. The internet seems to disagree, but I thought I remembered paying very little for it at the time (like, sub-300$) and even then I feel like I never made full use of it, only using it to look up recipes, watch YouTube and Netflix and stream music for the dog when we leave home. Now that it's dead (the tablet, not the dog), I think I could replace it with something cheaper but I feel like I need help choosing.

My first thought was a Fire HD because it's super cheap and seems made to browse the web and watch YouTube, but a lot of reviews make it look like the screen is pretty poo poo, every app is supported by Amazon ads and is tailored toward Prime and Alexa users.

The Lenovo Tab 4 is a little pricier but seems a fait bit more traditional. The Tab 3 could also be an option, but I think I'd spring for the Tab 4 because only the Tab 3 "Essential" is significantly cheaper and it seems... lacking. Not sure why. Screen resolution seems weird.

Is there anything under the 200$ mark that I've missed? Either something in that range that's significantly better, or something cheaper that's just as good, or maybe something a little pricier but leagues ahead of what I'm looking at?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Recommend me a tablet: Just get the iPad closest to your budget.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lube banjo posted:

Or sideload Play onto a Fire for the cheap poo poo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazon is poised to overtake Samsung as the #2 tablet manufacturer in the world (behind Apple) within the next two years:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/02/idc-tablet-shipments-q3-2018/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

samsung either makes absolute poo poo tablets or extremely expensive tablets that Aren't iPads so maybe they should make a tablet that isnt $600 but isn't terrible, idk

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

samsung either makes absolute poo poo tablets or extremely expensive tablets that Aren't iPads so maybe they should make a tablet that isnt $600 but isn't terrible, idk

Nah Samsung really wants to be premium.

I wish Nokia would start making tablets, their phone strategy of 'low price for decent specs and good build quality and gently caress it just use Android without messing with it' is really good. Now that Moto's moved on from that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 8, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Nah Samsung really wants to be premium.

they're releasing a ~$400 phone in USA so at least one division in samsung knows wtf is up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah they make cheap poo poo but it always feels like they made it feeling ashamed of it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah they make cheap poo poo but it always feels like they made it feeling ashamed of it.

well my point wasnt that you can't buy a cheap samsung tablet, my point was that their lower priced poo poo is loving garbage. you can buy a $150 samsung tablet but you absolutely shouldnt

rather they were competitive in a $300 segment or something that maybe wasn't iPad-spectacular, but at least had USB-C charging and 3+ GB ram

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Lube banjo posted:

I really wish I could, but the iPad closest to my desired budget is most likely the bottom half of a refurbished 2013 mini.

MikeJF posted:

Or sideload Play onto a Fire for the cheap poo poo
I think this is what I'll do. Thanks a lot; I was kind of weary of going with the Fire, but sideloading/rooting seems to make it very much worth the price.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

I really wish I could, but the iPad closest to my desired budget is most likely the bottom half of a refurbished 2013 mini.

I think this is what I'll do. Thanks a lot; I was kind of weary of going with the Fire, but sideloading/rooting seems to make it very much worth the price.

If you can get an education discount or find a used one, a 2017 or 2018 basic model iPad will be in the $200something range and far better than a Kindle HD 10. Like, display, performance, build, support, in every way (except that it runs iOS and will be 32 GB with no option to expand). If you're going for the Kindle HD 8, that's cheaper still but also has a worse display and terrible resolution. Just don't count out a cheap iPad, Apple releasing it at $329 new means it should be in consideration used/refurbished if you're looking for a cheap tablet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

well my point wasnt that you can't buy a cheap samsung tablet, my point was that their lower priced poo poo is loving garbage. you can buy a $150 samsung tablet but you absolutely shouldnt

Yeah that's kinda what I mean - it feels like they could make the low end devices better for the same price, but they don't want to. Almost like they actually want to punish you for not buying the expensive stuff.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Windows still allow manufacturers free licenses for Windows as long as the tablet they make is under 8"? Or was that just a ploy to get Windows 8.1 on more devices?

I remember Christmas a few years ago where Best Buy had a shitload of $50-$100 Windows tablets for sale - I'm assuming those are no longer a thing

I still have a HP Stream 7 that I upgraded to Windows 10 and it runs great

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

sourdough posted:

If you can get an education discount or find a used one, a 2017 or 2018 basic model iPad will be in the $200something range and far better than a Kindle HD 10. Like, display, performance, build, support, in every way (except that it runs iOS and will be 32 GB with no option to expand). If you're going for the Kindle HD 8, that's cheaper still but also has a worse display and terrible resolution. Just don't count out a cheap iPad, Apple releasing it at $329 new means it should be in consideration used/refurbished if you're looking for a cheap tablet.

Even with an Education discount (which I shouldn't really even get), the cheapest available refurbished iPad on Apple.ca is still 450$ (the only non-pro available is the 128GB model). The cheapest options that I could find were a new 32GB from Walmart (430$) or used 4th gen 32GB on eBay (around 200$). The latter is admittedly tempting, but for the use I make of it (cookbook + doggy radio) I think I'd rather spend a clean 100$ for a new Fire and maybe get an actual iPad down the line if I find a use for something more powerful.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

Even with an Education discount (which I shouldn't really even get), the cheapest available refurbished iPad on Apple.ca is still 450$ (the only non-pro available is the 128GB model). The cheapest options that I could find were a new 32GB from Walmart (430$) or used 4th gen 32GB on eBay (around 200$). The latter is admittedly tempting, but for the use I make of it (cookbook + doggy radio) I think I'd rather spend a clean 100$ for a new Fire and maybe get an actual iPad down the line if I find a use for something more powerful.

Ah, was thinking you were U.S., my bad. In the U.S., with a $150 new Kindle HD 10 vs $250-300 used 2018 iPad, it's a much closer thing. You definitely don't want a 4th gen iPad for double what the Kindle costs. And yeah, official Apple refurbs haven't gotten 2018 basic iPad stock I don't think.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CordlessPen posted:

Even with an Education discount (which I shouldn't really even get), the cheapest available refurbished iPad on Apple.ca is still 450$ (the only non-pro available is the 128GB model).

If you need it right now and can’t wait till Black Friday, an open box one from BestBuy.ca is $350 CAD.

Wait till Black Friday and Staples/BestBuy/etc will all drop the base 32gb iPad to $399 CAD. Then look on Redflagdeals for a coupon or something to stack on top. Last year Staples had a $75 off coupon for orders $400+ so I bought a $1 pack of pens and got the order for $325 plus tax.

Even if you’re getting the Fire HD 8 they routinely go on sale for $79.99 and occasionally dip to $69.99.

Edit: A full price Fire HD 10 is $199 in Canada

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon frequently puts the Fire 10 on sale for $100 US and every other sale they offer no interest payments on it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

sourdough posted:

Ah, was thinking you were U.S., my bad. In the U.S., with a $150 new Kindle HD 10 vs $250-300 used 2018 iPad, it's a much closer thing. You definitely don't want a 4th gen iPad for double what the Kindle costs. And yeah, official Apple refurbs haven't gotten 2018 basic iPad stock I don't think.

Heh, no problem, I still very much appreciate the advice! The Fire HD 10 really isn't in the running because screen size, and to some extent screen quality, isn't really an issue for me, at least at the moment, so the only hesitation I would have would be if there was something better (no ads, stock Android, etc.) at the same price, which it seems there isn't, or something slightly more expensive but much better, which is what you guys are recommending but I can't find easily around here.

I know it'd make sense to wait for a Black Friday deal, but without a tablet I have to leave the TV, amp and cable on all day for the dog which I don't love doing, so I think I'll get it now and talk to Amazon and try to get the 20-30$ back if it goes on sale in 2 weeks.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The Fire HD is fine and it’ll probably do what you need it to do. You can sideload the Google Play Store and spend a few hours fiddling with it to get it to where you want it.

The iPad is nice right out the box with no hassle.

It’s up to you how much or how little you value your time.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hold on, you're buying this tablet for your dog?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Asking again just in case: are there any worthwhile 7-8" Android tablets with good specs? Price isn't really an issue, I just want a good tablet I can use one-handed. Ipad is right out, Apple stuff has the hardest UI for me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Asking again just in case: are there any worthwhile 7-8" Android tablets with good specs? Price isn't really an issue, I just want a good tablet I can use one-handed. Ipad is right out, Apple stuff has the hardest UI for me.

Amazon Fire HD 8 once you sideload the Google Play Store is a good budget tablet.

Otherwise no, they’re all trash. You’d get cancer just from being in the same room as one.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me. Guess I'm stuck with this piece of poo poo Huawei then.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Inspector 34 posted:

Hold on, you're buying this tablet for your dog?

Well, it sounds dumb when you say it like that... :mad:

I originally got my original Galaxy Tab when I bought my first Samsung smart TV because I thought it could work as an awesome universal remote/second screen (I had high hopes for Anynet+). It turned out to not work so well, so I only used it to look up recipes in the kitchen and watch youtube/netflix in bed. When we got a dog, we started using the tablet to blast classical music when we leave, so yeah, I'd say now the dog is the main tablet user.

It sounds stupid, but the only other devices we own that play music are a PS4, cable box and HTPC all connected to the same TV and amp, so if I want something low-key to leave background noise on for the dog, I have to buy something, and a new tablet to keep looking up recipes and streaming in bed would be swell, so I'd rather pay 100$ for a cheap tablet than paying 20/30$ for a clock radio that would literally be only for the dog.

You will also all be glad to hear that I managed to bring my Galaxy Tab S back to life, so no Fire HD necessary anymore!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Statutory Ape posted:

rather they were competitive in a $300 segment or something that maybe wasn't iPad-spectacular, but at least had USB-C charging and 3+ GB ram

That's pretty much their Chromebook price territory (which imo is a better buy than an android tablet), but I also can't recommend Samsung's Chromebook line because of all the hardware issues that still pop up even with the new models.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Looks like ill grab a fire when Black Friday cometh.

What the gently caress is side loading though?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Affi posted:

Looks like ill grab a fire when Black Friday cometh.

What the gently caress is side loading though?

The Fire doesn’t come with the Google Play store preloaded. So you have to tinker to get it on the device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/amp/

It’s not particularly difficult, but a minor annoyance compared to an iPad that just works right out of the box.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Been using Xiaomi's Mi Pad 4 (8") for a week now and I must say that it has been a pretty great Chinese budget tablet so far. Haven't really found anything to complain about.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_4-9249.php

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Fire 10 HDs are back on sale for 115 bucks (or 99 with ads if you want that [you don't]).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

Fire 10 HDs are back on sale for 115 bucks (or 99 with ads if you want that [you don't]).

are the ads still easy to remove or no

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

EugeneJ posted:

are the ads still easy to remove or no

Oh they might be. I just paid the extra premium to not have to mess with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The ads are just the lockscreen and not even a little annoying. It's not like they pop up when you watch Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You can also just talk to their customer support and claim that you think the ads are slowing down the tablet and they'll remotely disable them. Worked on my kindle at least when I got annoyed at them pushing romance novels at me. You'd think with all of my purchase history they'd at least show me ads for things I might be interested in...