Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mendrian posted:

I don't understand this poo poo.

I work in management at a retail company. I regularly send people home for panic attacks and poo poo. I gave a guy a week off because his cat died.

You're not a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

So you're just in here to bring all these swaggering liberals back to earth, huh? These people who are concerned with nebulous poo poo, distant and far removed from themselves. They're such fuckin' lib pansies, I gotta bleed every day, and they're worried about like... fuckin' dark money? Puh-lease.

I mean when people are getting twisted about how no it's not possible that Russia is low on voter priority lists yeah I think it's pretty important to point out that for most of America there are actual concrete things in their life that actively gently caress them up worse than Russia influencing our election in some way, which is not something we would ever do to another country

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like by all means be worried about it but don't get indignant when I'm like actually I care more about how insechre my existence is

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Ardennes posted:

I think these type of posts are starting to reach the end of their expiration date, but yeah Trump isn't a man that exists in isolation and either is the US political system.

So instead of reading about things that are going in, we get to wade through the endless cycle of liberals and leftists arguing past each other. I gave this thread a fair shot, and it sucks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Potato Salad posted:

This is a bad standard, and it is blind to Sanders' soft work in Vermont where he has indeed influenced energy consciousness.

That is a thing. Hell, it's more than most of the part which can't even whip Manchin for a symbolic protest vote has managed.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And twelve isnt better than nothing, because it is nothing. Fifteen is the compromise position, and any further compromise is unacceptable

12 < 7.25 (or even less in states with tipped position rules) because Hillary. A hot take, “my man.” So happy we have Trump instead.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And twelve isnt better than nothing, because it is nothing. Fifteen is the compromise position, and any further compromise is unacceptable

Different regional wages wasn't that bad an idea, but the relative average should have been $15 not $12. Admittedly, it probably wouldn't have been such a big difference for most coastal states in the near future.

Also, you have to take inflation into account for any proposal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

12 < 7.25 (or even less in states with tipped position rules) because Hillary. A hot take, “my man.” So happy we have Trump instead.

Yeah man that's what I meant, I don't understand numbers, not that the number proposed is insufficient on the face of it even before you account for the time it would take to roll out. You got me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ardennes posted:

Different regional wages wasn't that bad an idea, but the relative average should have been $15 not $12. Admittedly, it probably wouldn't have been such a big difference for most coastal states in the near future.

Also, you have to take inflation into account for any proposal.

I agree with this, I don't agree with the people going "well why couldn't you accept a worse compromise that wouldn't benefit people"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Amniotic posted:

So instead of reading about things that are going in, we get to wade through the endless cycle of liberals and leftists arguing past each other. I gave this thread a fair shot, and it sucks.

There is an active news thread the very top of the forum.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

So you're just in here to bring all these swaggering liberals back to earth, huh? These people who are concerned with nebulous poo poo, distant and far removed from themselves. They're such fuckin' lib pansies, I gotta bleed every day, and they're worried about like... fuckin' dark money? Puh-lease.

I think if the people obsessed with the Russia probe were actually concerned about all of the other extremely obvious corruption and foreign influence at the top levels of our government that would be one thing, but it's extremely obvious when people hyper-focus on this specific investigation because it's the best way to hurt Donald Trump, specifically. Not actually address the rampantly corrupt institutions that infect our entire government and political system.

If there is something there I hope they find it but most people don't have an extremely vitriolic hatred of Trump so they aren't going to care about your best weapon against him, even if you try and dishonestly frame it as a neutral attempt at righting the wrongs in our government while completely ignoring 99.99999% of the wrongs.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh cool we’ve evolved from delegitimizing elections to outright calls for elections to be ignored and installing people into power by the POTUS. This country sure is having a normal one

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah man that's what I meant, I don't understand numbers, not that the number proposed is insufficient on the face of it even before you account for the time it would take to roll out. You got me.

Being insufficient is the alternative to “literally nothing;” but that didn’t stop you from claiming it was “less than nothing.” If people had a $12 minimum wage (or ramp up) right now, it would be better than the “literally nothing” that is the foreseeable legislation on minimum wage. Even if the legislation didn’t result in enough change to counter inflation, it is still better than “literally nothing.”

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean when people are getting twisted about how no it's not possible that Russia is low on voter priority lists yeah I think it's pretty important to point out that for most of America there are actual concrete things in their life that actively gently caress them up worse than Russia influencing our election in some way, which is not something we would ever do to another country

The investigation isn’t just looking into whether Facebook let boomers be influenced by Boris and the Red Scares. It is investigating the trump campaigns ties to Russia and possibly if the president of the US is compromised.

A year ago 71% of democratic respondents to a pew survey said that the Russian investigation was important. 72% of democratic respondents in September 2018 said that they were not at all confident in trumps handling of the investigation. You do not get such strong partisan leans like that from an electorate that doesn’t particularly care about the topic.

Claiming that broke and struggling people don’t care about the investigation into the 2016 election isnt just patronizing, it’s also factually inaccurate.

The investigations findings will have an outsized impact on our countries politics and thus how we provide [or dont] for our citizens. Russian dark money is also spread thick all over the GOP and the results of the investigation will influence how those on the right in the US accept that money and thus it’s ability to influence our politics.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. Isn't it their unvaccinated kids that are all into hugs that are likely to have the problems in this scenario?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Luckyellow posted:

Planting trees everywhere would help in the long term, but doesn't it takes years to even make a dent? I mean, trees need some time to actually grow.

It's probably easier and more practical to cut our carbon emissions by replacing all coal/natural gas plants with nuclear power plants.

I just hate how everyone immediately go to "WHAT ABOUT FUKUSHIMA??" as if that's the perfect counter.

More than that, planting trees in a warming world has diminishing returns. For example, Canada counts carbon capture in its forests toward it's carbon goals. This carbon sunk in expanded forest growth will likely be back in the atmosphere as we continue warming, shifting habitable zones for these trees and effectively baking carbon back out of the forests. These are hardly secure as long-term sinks.

There is a climate thread that can provide more detailed findings if you can put up with everything from accelerationism to personal vs societal responsibility to suicidally-depressed posting!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

Being insufficient is the alternative to “literally nothing;” but that didn’t stop you from claiming it was “less than nothing.” If people had a $12 minimum wage (or ramp up) right now, it would be better than the “literally nothing” that is the foreseeable legislation on minimum wage. Even if the legislation didn’t result in enough change to counter inflation, it is still better than “literally nothing.”

I'm sorry I used rhetoric and not a spreadsheet, fishmech junior

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. Isn't it their unvaccinated kids that are all into hugs that are likely to have the problems in this scenario?

antivax has it's own germ theory now.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh cool we’ve evolved from delegitimizing elections to outright calls for elections to be ignored and installing people into power by the POTUS. This country sure is having a normal one
But remember, no one cares about rule of law when the Democrats are pushing for $12/hour minimum wage instead of a hard $15/hour

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Vaccines don't make everyone immune to things and idiots like that woman help destroy herd immunity. It also completely fucks over people who medically can't get vaccinated.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

There might be kids with compromised immunity who physically can’t have vaccines. If this idiots kids get sick they can easily pass it to those children and can still possibly infect children who did get vaccines. It’s why herd immunization is a big deal. This moron basically has a sticker saying “My kids are metaphorical biological weapons for my hosed up stances and there’s a good chance they can give your kids a life threatening illness :haw:

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

archangelwar posted:

I voted for Hillary. Hillary would have been objectively better than Trump. But during an election, a politician's job isn't to convince me or other politically-engaged individuals to vote, it's to convince multiple percentages of the entire voting population that they will make their lives substantively better. Hillary failed to do that (to a large enough extent to overcome the bias of the electoral college).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

Was it considered weaselly? I thought it was a fuckin :master: but I am admittedly WAF (white as gently caress)

DeSantis literally called him a Monkey and palled around with white nationalists. The guy is clearly racist to say "I'm not saying he is racist.." is to protect any votes he'd lose to fragility from actually calling his opponent out. It's weaselly, but in a beneficiary way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deptfordx posted:

If they hug a healthy vaccinated person yes, if they hug an immunocompromised person no. That's why vaccinations are so important, there are people for whom they aren't effective for legitimate reasons.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tibalt posted:

But remember, no one cares about rule of law when the Democrats are pushing for $12/hour minimum wage instead of a hard $15/hour

Yeah because one of those has a much more immediate and discernable effect on their lives

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

If there is something there I hope they find it but most people don't have an extremely vitriolic hatred of Trump so they aren't going to care about your best weapon against him, even if you try and dishonestly frame it as a neutral attempt at righting the wrongs in our government while completely ignoring 99.99999% of the wrongs.

Trump has polled at 51%+ strongly disapprove’ for over a year and a half now. That is historically the worst of any president since before Truman - 538 doesn’t go back further. Most people do in fact have a vitriolic hate for trump.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

If they hug a healthy vaccinated person yes, if they hug an immunocompromised person no. That's why vaccinations are so important, there are people for whom they aren't effective for legitimate reasons.

Or who can't receive them for actual, non-imaginary reasons

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ardennes posted:

Probably the consensus is still going to be the investigation should continue and cyber-security is important, but I don't know if most people are that interested beyond that.

I could see the report coming out and looking bad for Trump, but I have a much harder time seeing it reshape American politics.

Honestly it would probably do a lot for my and others mental health to be able to say "See? I told you so! I knew it! We have been saying this!"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skylined! posted:

Trump has polled at 51%+ strongly disapprove’ for over a year and a half now. That is historically the worst of any president since before Truman - 538 doesn’t go back further. Most people do in fact have a vitriolic hate for trump.

The fact that he also is able to poll around 42-44% on average show also that a strong minority also supports him regardless of the endless poo poo he has pulled. The country is both divided and hyperpolarized. It is why everything is still on a knife's edge.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Why aren't you happy with the scraps you're tossed!!!!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

I think there is a difference from saying you disapprove of him in a poll and being so broken by his existence you elevate something like the Russia investigation to mythical status because it's your only means of fighting back against the embodiment of all evil in the world.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The fact that he also is able to poll around 42-44% on average show also that a very strong minority also supports him regardless of the endless poo poo he has pulled. The country is both divided and hyperpolarized. It is why everything is still on a knife's edge.

Ya - we are living in two different realities. I think a good chunk of his base will peel off when the economy tanks however they hasn’t proven to be the somber bullet some are expecting with farmers affected by his tariffs. Unfortunately we have to watch the economy tank to really find out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kidkissinger posted:

Why aren't you happy with the scraps you're tossed!!!!

Should have voted blue no matter who

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it's always going to be hard to sell voters on how "rule of law" is important when we've seen time and time again it doesn't apply to the rich and powerful regardless of who's in power. ffs the dems are palling around with W now.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm sorry I used rhetoric and not a spreadsheet, fishmech junior

You were the one who decided to toss out a completely unprompted “Hillary bad, no better than Trump” post in response to talk of the Mueller investigation. But if you have honestly confused “rhetoric” with “terribad hot takes” then I apologize and simply offer a suggestion that the “bad dem, bad as trump” equivalencies aren’t all that insightful as a response to every unrelated thing.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

archangelwar posted:

The issue is that hillary was already compromising before even thinking of negotiating with the repubs.

Minimum wage should be about 23 bucks an hour. Instead, 15 becomes 12 becomes 10, but slowly implemented over a decade or some such.

Like...sure, 13 is better than 7.25, but republicans are so extreme you have to start negotiating at an extreme position to get where you actually want to be.

Fight for fifteen is already a compromise position.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

You were the one who decided to toss out a completely unprompted “Hillary bad, no better than Trump” post in response to talk of the Mueller investigation. But if you have honestly confused “rhetoric” with “terribad hot takes” then I apologize and simply offer a suggestion that the “bad dem, bad as trump” equivalencies aren’t all that insightful as a response to every unrelated thing.

I feel like I never said that, actually, maybe climb out of my dick

And even if I had, the idea that an eventual 12 is acceptable as a compromise is still bullshit and you be ashamed of yourself for defending it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koalas Massacre posted:

DeSantis literally called him a Monkey and palled around with white nationalists. The guy is clearly racist to say "I'm not saying he is racist.." is to protect any votes he'd lose to fragility from actually calling his opponent out. It's weaselly, but in a beneficiary way.

I hadn't even considered that. I mostly saw it as a way to prevent DeSantis from retreating into the tried and true refuge of racists: being offended that you dare call them racists.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

skylined! posted:

Ya - we are living in two different realities. I think a good chunk of his base will peel off when the economy tanks however they hasn’t proven to be the somber bullet some are expecting with farmers affected by his tariffs. Unfortunately we have to watch the economy tank to really find out.

To this point, even though we hate all those articles, Trump supporters are willing to take short term economic pain to support him. NPR recently talked to a Soy bean farmer who lost their money and job to tariffs and still supports him because he is doing a great job.

The problem with impeachment is once you start those proceedings all legislative priorities will evaporate. Literally nothing will get done but you have a chance to stake the Trump administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skylined! posted:

Well it is going to probably depend on both how it sinks and also if that is actually enough to erode enough of his support. Remember, he has done some insane poo poo and his poll numbers don't seem to budge permanently, and there is almost certainly going to be an attempt to blame the Democrats in the House.

Another issue is that the next crisis may look much more like the 2000-2001 recession/dot-com crash where the coasts, especially the West coast, was more affected which may limit its impact in the upper midwest battleground states (which are still semi-depressed).

Honestly, I am waiting to see it how it shakes out. I wouldn't buy into this market (equities/real estate/etc).

Btw, the effect of the tariffs really wouldn't start a crisis on their own, it is probably going to the housing and stock market popping.