Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now we know why they are called Pocket Monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who would even want a mr. mime

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

a.lo posted:

That's been my question since Pokemon Red and Blue first came out but some degenerates still claim they like him

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looks really good! I actually liked the designs on the Pokemon, but then I've always liked those "this is what bulbasaur/pikachu/whatever would look like if they were more realistic" redesigns, which seems to be the feel they're going for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a.lo posted:

sir that's my son you're talking about

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Mime comes out being the least horrifying looking of them all. congrats mr. mime

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a.lo posted:

I would

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

I.

Uh.

Why do western studios insist on “realistic” textures.

because big blocks of solid, unrealistic textures are almost always something that makes CGI look fake.

In motion, these kinds of textures always look better in the end. And let's not mince words here; a fuzzy-less Jigglypuff would look like the hide of a sphinx cat wrapped around a circle. In other words, a giant ballsack with big anime eyes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Golden Gael posted:

I hate that this game is literally the embodiment of having a new hat and yet I'm still the Smithers.

also same, I was on the fence but took the plunge and got Eevee version, I'm not even ashamed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

because big blocks of solid, unrealistic textures are almost always something that makes CGI look fake.

In motion, these kinds of textures always look better in the end. And let's not mince words here; a fuzzy-less Jigglypuff would look like the hide of a sphinx cat wrapped around a circle. In other words, a giant ballsack with big anime eyes.

That sounds great

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

wait is that not supposed to be hair

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Andrast posted:

That sounds great

and yet, not something you want in your movie for children

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like that his shoulders and torso have like, dodgeball textures

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Speak for yourself

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nodosaur posted:

the look in the movie is 100% for the adults

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Don't maim the mime.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I really like the concept.

I really don't like how every Pokémon that isn't Pikachu is just waxy lizard textures wrapped tightly around a model

hosed up how the mouse pokemon has fur but the dragon pokemon has scales?? wtf nintendo

EDIT: bird has feathers... yeah not buying this game

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ash Greninja

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Geostomp posted:

I got the first Zekrom, thanks.

If we're going for codes, here's a Zeraora:

-snip-

The card got a little scratched, so, just in case, try this if it doesn't work
-snip-

Just reminding that I have ongoing giveaways for Zeraora and Reshiram / Zekrom right now:

Nth Doctor posted:

I've sat on these long enough. Time for a
:havlat: :havlat: :havlat: DOUBLE HEADER GIVEAWAY :havlat: :havlat: :havlat:
FIRST UP
I have :siren: FIVE :siren: Zeraora codes to give away for goons with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Wanna get one, you master of e-cockfighting? Here's what you gotta do (courtesy of FelicityGS):

Tell (or show) us the hot playground rumor your uncle told you about the next main series games. They're coming to the Switch so obviously there's gonna be some Switch-feature related gimmick, if you need a starting point. Any images should have the early elementary school feel to them, including something like "by Nth Doctor, age 32½" as an artist's signature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEXT UP
I also have :siren: five courtesy of Kureig, TWELVE :siren: Reshiram / Zekrom codes for folks with any Gen VI game. Here's the gimmick, again from FelicityGS:

I like this. We did haiku before but some silly limerick sounds great. Write some doggerel about something Pokemon related that you enjoyed and win a monochromatic dragon.

Get to it, goons!

Nth Doctor posted:

Two Zeraora and 10 Reshiram / Zekrom Codes Remain

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"20-something who never quite managed to become a pokemon trainer" is exactly the story I have wanted to see from pokemon, and seeing real life humans interacting with pokemon owns. I'm excited for this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When this was announced I wasn't interested at all.

Now? I want a Pokémon cinematic universe. gently caress Detective Pikachu, we need actual Pokémon stories in this style.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lessail posted:

the look in the movie is 100% for the adults

I'd say the movie is looking to hit a happy medium between the two audiences. The humor here is accessible to multiple audiences.

the key to something like this is to make the fantasy characters look like they inhabit the same world as the rest of the fictional environment. That's not a matter of nostalgia or playing to a certain audience.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hollywood Inc has discovered that the only thing little girls like more than balloons is pink fluffy stuff, so combining both elements will make Jigglypuff the most marketable creature.

Like half of Wiggytuff's pokedex entries point out how sublime and wonderful its fur is. Given how similar the entire evo line is, it's pretty reasonable to think that they all have fur.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

a.lo posted:

Delia didn't want to date to find Ash's new dad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always assumed Jigglypuff had like, really really short fur/hair. The thought of it just being a sentient hairless balloon is actually pretty horrifying

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, after the initial shock value wore off, I think this is one of the better directions they could have taken the Pokemon from a looks standpoint. Stick too closely to the original style, and they'll stand out badly since the movie is taking place in a real world setting.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Steve2911 posted:

When this was announced I wasn't interested at all.

Now? I want a Pokémon cinematic universe. gently caress Detective Pikachu, we need actual Pokémon stories in this style.

i think this is actually the plan. they want to start with this and then do a more traditional Pokemon trainer-based movie afterwards

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In 5 or 10 years we could have an actual Pokepocalypse movie hell yeah

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sea Lily posted:

i think this is actually the plan. they want to start with this and then do a more traditional Pokemon trainer-based movie afterwards

Good. I never realised before but my body desperately needs a movie set on the ocean with Lugia lurking in the depths.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I showed my friend the trailer and he's just excited that Ryan Renolds is gonna be Pikachu.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Watching the trailer they look better in motion

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Those abominations are what Mimikyu is hiding under its sheet.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im gonna see it

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Nth Doctor posted:

Just reminding that I have ongoing giveaways for Zeraora and Reshiram / Zekrom right now:
For Zeroarora:
My uncle told me that the Switch Games would have VR, paired with a new type of Virtualboy addon for the Switch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I watched that trailer fully expecting to hate it and.... didn't?

It's just the right level of camp and cheese, and played completely straight. The movie knows it's dumb and just owns the hell out of it. Going to see it for sure!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Mr Mime bit and casting Ryan Reynolds makes me pretty sure they knew exactly what to do and it's gonna be great and probably make all the money in the world

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The game is super good and fun, so the movie will be too.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i didn't play the Detective Pikachu game, does the trailer make the movie seem like it's using the storyline from that or is it something new?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/1062058671427989504?s=21

Excited to see Joltik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I showed my friend the trailer and he's just excited that Ryan Renolds is gonna be Pikachu.

Good to hear somebody is excited...

https://twitter.com/ChipmunkAlvin07/status/1062040368554958853?s=19