Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Queen Combat posted:

The ASU is such a retarded piece of poo poo.

Just say piece of poo poo, retard isn't a cool word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
True, that's on me.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Queen Combat posted:

The ASU is such a retarded piece of poo poo.

It's just the dress blues with different ranks for enlisted.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Also, pinks and greens are a thing, mandatory possession by 2028.

https://www.army.mil/article/213650/us_army_to_roll_out_new_army_greens_uniform

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

All the alternate events were made by testing people who were proficient at that event already.

gently caress the walk. I would rather run. You know how loving hard it is to walk that goddamn fast?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I actually think the pinks and greens look sharp as hell, definitely best looking uniform the Army has had in a long time.

ASU's look awful, I'm probably going to toss mine in a dumpster when I get out.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mustang posted:

I actually think the pinks and greens look sharp as hell, definitely best looking uniform the Army has had in a long time.

ASU's look awful, I'm probably going to toss mine in a dumpster when I get out.

They look fine, but are so unnecessary. The old Class A's were fine for what they were, had been around for 60 years, and were identifiable as the Army uniform. If you wanted to fix them up, just go back to a tan shirt and improve the materials.

Oh well, I'll be long gone before I have to own the Pinks.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

SimonCat posted:

Also, pinks and greens are a thing, mandatory possession by 2028.

https://www.army.mil/article/213650/us_army_to_roll_out_new_army_greens_uniform

Woo, can't wait to buy 2+ pair of yet another uniform.

also lol @

quote:

The uniform will be cost-neutral for enlisted Soldiers, who will be able to purchase them with their annual clothing allowance.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean yeah it's dumb spending more money on dress uniforms but OTOH, this is actually a nice uniform. The ASUs are nice, but right now they have way too much pieces of flare. Modify them so that they're worn like The Old Guard, etc. does.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean yeah it's dumb spending more money on dress uniforms but OTOH, this is actually a nice uniform. The ASUs are nice, but right now they have way too much pieces of flare. Modify them so that they're worn like The Old Guard, etc. does.

Too much flair on the blues?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Class A's looked alright but I loathe wearing ASUs.

The pinks and greens on the other hand just scream "this person is in the Army" and look just as sharp as their Marine equivalent.

If I had joined the Army in time/stayed in long enough to wear the pinks and greens I definitely wouldn't mind wearing them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Too much flair on the blues?

The ASUs have most of the same.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My work uniform are scrubs which are like wearing pajamas to work.

Lol @ u all

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

The ASUs have most of the same.

I know, that's why I'm always confused when people complain about the ASUs having too much flair. It's the same as the old Class A and other than the CSIB on the right pocket, the same as the old dress blues. If anything they have less flair since they use the smaller Class A service stripes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You know who wears pink and greens?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

gently caress the walk. I would rather run. You know how loving hard it is to walk that goddamn fast?

IMO the walk is easy, it just kind of sucks and people doing the walk look goofy as hell.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I am not in the military but from a complete outsider perspective the pinks and greens look way better than any other fancy uniform I've ever seen anyone in the army wear.

I'd probably be pretty annoyed if I had to spend money on them and/or maintain another set of fancy clothes, though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It looks like it sucks pretty bad to me, although i'm 5'7" so walking that fast is rather unnatural and way harder than running. I bike a ton so the bike test probably wouldn't be that bad, especially with a decent road bike.

Jokes on you guys though, most of us are fat civilians now who could give two shits about passing an APFT/whatever now. :smug:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

shortspecialbus posted:

I am not in the military but from a complete outsider perspective the pinks and greens look way better than any other fancy uniform I've ever seen anyone in the army wear.

I'd probably be pretty annoyed if I had to spend money on them and/or maintain another set of fancy clothes, though.

They look good because you are looking at prototypes being worn by hand picked model soldiers. When they hit the broader force, it will not be as pretty. Basically you are looking at the glamour shots of the Pinks and Greens.

This

versus this:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, yeah. But at this point we'd be creating a new green uniform too so why not go for the Pinks and Greens. And issues with the general force looking shittier, that's going to be an issue of fitting/tailoring and people wearing uniforms properly, not exactly a huge issue to overcome.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

Well, yeah. But at this point we'd be creating a new green uniform too so why not go for the Pinks and Greens. And issues with the general force looking shittier, that's going to be an issue of fitting/tailoring and people wearing uniforms properly, not exactly a huge issue to overcome.

LOL at the idea that the general army is every going to worry about properly fitting their uniforms. They never have before, why would they start now?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SimonCat posted:

They look good because you are looking at prototypes being worn by hand picked model soldiers. When they hit the broader force, it will not be as pretty. Basically you are looking at the glamour shots of the Pinks and Greens.

This

versus this:

As a former Aggie cadet, art and design student, and closet DnC nerd:

1 - Pinks and Greens look great on everyone: the padding of the shoulders, and contrasting colors of the top and bottom of the uniforms deceive the eye, giving the appearance of the classic mesomorph body.

2 - The brown and reddish hues of the leather bill and trousers are complementary to the forest green hat and coat, which is more pleasing to the eye than the analogous greens of the old army uniform.

2 - those bottom pics are not Class A's.

This is probably my most embarrassing post in Gip

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I would wear a garbage bag to work if they'd let me.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

As a former Aggie cadet, art and design student, and closet DnC nerd:

1 - Pinks and Greens look great on everyone: the padding of the shoulders, and contrasting colors of the top and bottom of the uniforms deceive the eye, giving the appearance of the classic mesomorph body.

2 - The brown and reddish hues of the leather bill and trousers are complementary to the forest green hat and coat, which is more pleasing to the eye than the analogous greens of the old army uniform.

2 - those bottom pics are not Class A's.

This is probably my most embarrassing post in Gip

I knew someone was going to "actually" my picture of the Privates in Class Bs, but I believe it makes my point. If you are interested in why the AG44 Class A was selected back in the 50s, this article is a nice summary. I think they looked fine with a tan shirt as Elvis is modeling, but they didn't ask my opinion on the matter.

https://www.qmfound.com/article/the-army-green-uniform/

As it is, I've just become that grumpy old guy who doesn't want to change.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SimonCat posted:

I knew someone was going to "actually" my picture of the Privates in Class Bs

Class C's my man. No tie.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Class C's my man. No tie.

The Army doesn't have Cs, just variants of B.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SimonCat posted:

The Army doesn't have Cs, just variants of B.

I might be older than you.

*edit* they probably got rid of it at some point in my career. But there was a time where there was a C.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Well, actually, IAW 670-1, the Class C uniforms are the utility uniforms, to include the combat, garrison culinary, physical fitneas;dlkjnalskdjadgjnaggagghasdghasdhg

The pinks and greens do look good, it's just going to be a pain the rear end to maintain and replace yet another formal uniform. I have two full sets of ASUs and even with alternating between the two they're beginning to show a bit of wear.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

I might be older than you.

*edit* they probably got rid of it at some point in my career. But there was a time where there was a C.

Could well be. It's amazing how much wheel spinning the Army does with all this while the Marines just keep on trucking with their dress uniforms.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like the Pinks and Greens, but I think that it's hilarious to swap uniforms YET AGAIN.

The uniform grift has got to be out of this world.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Vasudus posted:

I like the Pinks and Greens, but I think that it's hilarious to swap uniforms YET AGAIN.

I can’t wait until we switch from OCPs :unsmigghh:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Vasudus posted:

We need Strong Daddy Trump to save us from the clutches of Big Fashion and Deep Clothing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

To be fair the switch to ASU's and ACU's were awful decisions.

I'm still amazed that the ACU's got blessed off somehow.

OCP's on the other hand I think will last a decent amount of time with some new modifications/variations possibly added over the years.

I think 25th ID in Hawaii is testing out a Jungle variant of OCPs?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It makes sense to have 'this land is mostly green' and 'this land is mostly brown' uniforms. Make the support gear a uniform color like say...coyote...tan...

Oh wait. The Marines of all people figured this out nearly two decades ago.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

It makes sense to have 'this land is mostly green' and 'this land is mostly brown' uniforms. Make the support gear a uniform color like say...coyote...tan...

Oh wait. The Marines of all people figured this out nearly two decades ago.

naval services yo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This land is blue and wet...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We actually did figure that out when we had our woodland BDU's and desert BDU's.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
True, but aside from being incredibly comfortable when worn in (at least the DCUs were because you never starched them ever) they weren't exactly durable. I mean, the modern poo poo has its own problems don't get me wrong but it was a more durable material.

The current uniform seemed to be on the right track of actually being durable and comfortable, with some poo poo being sewn on finally because gently caress all that velcro.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dcus were so comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Vasudus posted:

True, but aside from being incredibly comfortable when worn in (at least the DCUs were because you never starched them ever) they weren't exactly durable. I mean, the modern poo poo has its own problems don't get me wrong but it was a more durable material.

The current uniform seemed to be on the right track of actually being durable and comfortable, with some poo poo being sewn on finally because gently caress all that velcro.

I don't honestly remember BDU's being uncomfortable/lacking durability. I wore them through OSUT and they stood up just fine....Shipping off to Iraq I was given a pair of ACU's where I proceeded to blow out the crotch 3 months in country... As did all of the other turret gunners in my platoon.

Never got in on the DCU's, kinda sad about that hearing that they were so comfy..