Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Are you using any mods at all? Does it crash when fighting particular factions/units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks to AC Odyssey I've gotten back into RTW2 with a Greek game. Specifically, Epirus, knowing that they had a roster comparable to Macedon's and far more diverse than Sparta/Athens/Syracuse and their hoplite spam.

A question though: do you guys actually use explosive shot on your ballistas? Sometimes I feel like just using them as proto-cannons for picking off enemy cavalry is the best use case since they're oddly accurate with stone shot.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Are you using any mods at all? Does it crash when fighting particular factions/units?

For WH I use no agents, bonus movement in your territory, 3 points per level and level 4 minor settlements. Nothing to change battles.
In S2 I have deadly towers and double food from farms mods.

I had no crashes on Saturday for ~6 hours in WH, and crash on the first fight a day later 5 minutes into battle. It feels completely random so far. I'll probably snag a new SSD soon and do a clean install of Windows, maybe that will fix it..

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-october-2018

Looks like region trading is back in 3K

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Now they just need to implement it in WH2.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

alex314 posted:

For WH I use no agents, bonus movement in your territory, 3 points per level and level 4 minor settlements. Nothing to change battles.
In S2 I have deadly towers and double food from farms mods.

I had no crashes on Saturday for ~6 hours in WH, and crash on the first fight a day later 5 minutes into battle. It feels completely random so far. I'll probably snag a new SSD soon and do a clean install of Windows, maybe that will fix it..

just try it without the mods dude you don't need to reinstall your operating system.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It looks like the clean install of newest version of nVidia drivers fixed the issue. No crashes in ~10 hours over 2 days. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What are the best mods and/or overhauls for Total War Attila right now?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
In Rome 2, does it make a difference if your character is a general or a statesman with regard to how much influence they provide? Seen some advice online which says statesmen will give your faction more influence and some which contradicts this.

And more generally, what's the best way to rise up in influence? Trying to get to that threshold to change my government type but finding it tricky to make the last 5-10 percentage points.

It would help if the game told you your influence change per turn and how it compares with your rivals, rather than doing what you think might work and hoping the percentage goes up.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do I defend against spies killing my agents and generals non stop in rome 2?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grouchio posted:

What are the best mods and/or overhauls for Total War Attila right now?

Upkeep mod, Double Garrisons, Pikes Ready in Hand and Influential Faction Leader.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

How do I defend against spies killing my agents and generals non stop in rome 2?

Dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Have your own spies kill their spies. Yes its dumb

Sulla
May 10, 2008

No agents mod.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can't hit what you cant see :(

Sulla posted:

No agents mod.

I want to finish atleast 1 vanilla campaign

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 8, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I want to finish atleast 1 vanilla campaign

My condolences

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it really that bad? What mods should i be using?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The first of the Total War: Three Kingdoms playable faction leaders after three big three... is Ma Teng.
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1060909939571548161
In addition to the above he starts the game allied with Dong Zhuo, his son Ma Chao comes of age in a few years, and:

quote:

Ma Teng’s faction can also construct the unique Xiliang Supply Lines building chain – one of the few food-production chains that can be built in Commandery capitals. This chain also institutes regional cavalry patrols, which improve the military supplies for armies in adjacent commanderies and depletes the military supplies of any invading forces. Ma Teng also benefits from his close connection to the Silk Road, gaining increased income from silk and spice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

not exactly who i was picturing as a playable warlord

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Historically, Ma Teng was a warlord who only cared about his personal rule in Liang. He joined up with anyone who gave him power and authority over there. Before Dong Zhou came to power, Ma Teng first fought against rebels, then decided to switch to the rebels, and finally had to be bribed back to return to the Han with a fancy title and position. His reputation as a loyalist is entirely an invention of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Romance made up a bunch of stuff to make Ma Chao look good* instead of the historical truth**.

* Ma Teng was such a Han loyalist that Cao Cao killed him. Ma Chao then rebelled to avenge his parents after they were dead.
** Ma Chao rebelled against first Cao Cao even though he knew it would get his father and mother executed. He got his parents killed, and just didn't care.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'Depletes military supplies for invading forces'

Ooh, haven't read anything on this. Is this the new iteration of the attrition mechanic?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Supplies were in ThroB. It's a meter that fills up in friendly territory (especially while in a town, especially if it has a supply building). It declines while the army is in the field; slowly when at home, steadily when invading, quickly when sieging. If it runs out they start to take attrition. There are a bunch of other modifiers to do with terrain, weather, army stance, and the general's traits, of course.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Krazyface posted:

Supplies were in ThroB. It's a meter that fills up in friendly territory (especially while in a town, especially if it has a supply building). It declines while the army is in the field; slowly when at home, steadily when invading, quickly when sieging. If it runs out they start to take attrition. There are a bunch of other modifiers to do with terrain, weather, army stance, and the general's traits, of course.

Presumably the AI ignores the system entirely?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like. Ever since discarding the risk map TW had had this problem that armies are not tethered in any way to locations that are supposed to be strategic or had to deal with any notion of a campaigning season.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Presumably the AI ignores the system entirely?

Not at all. It has quite an impact on the AI and makes offensives from both sides have natural lulls while you resupply. I've even managed to inflict a significant victory over enemy forces by burning their farms and their already low supply army couldn't resupply and took attrition for a couple of turns while they stabilised. I'm sure the AI isn't doing anything all that complicated with it (If supplies of expected action < 0 then don't do it, if supplies sub x then go home), but it actually works really well.

Roughly speaking, supplies cap out at 100, drop by 10 per turn in enemy territory, 5 per turn when raiding, 20 per turn sieging and replenish by 10 per turn in friendly territory while you have positive food. If you ever run out of supplies the army loses 10% of the max unit size per turn.

Both the supplies mechanic and recruitment mechanic from ThroB absolutely belong in the main series and work really well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

shalcar posted:

Not at all. It has quite an impact on the AI and makes offensives from both sides have natural lulls while you resupply. I've even managed to inflict a significant victory over enemy forces by burning their farms and their already low supply army couldn't resupply and took attrition for a couple of turns while they stabilised. I'm sure the AI isn't doing anything all that complicated with it (If supplies of expected action < 0 then don't do it, if supplies sub x then go home), but it actually works really well.

Roughly speaking, supplies cap out at 100, drop by 10 per turn in enemy territory, 5 per turn when raiding, 20 per turn sieging and replenish by 10 per turn in friendly territory while you have positive food. If you ever run out of supplies the army loses 10% of the max unit size per turn.

Both the supplies mechanic and recruitment mechanic from ThroB absolutely belong in the main series and work really well.

That's actually pretty cool then. Attacking enemies supply lines is always a good thing to be able to do.

Not a fan of the recruitment though but I'm spoiled by DeIs system of 1 turn recruiting everythjng if you have the population to allow it.
Just not a fan at all of waiting around in TW games and I think the instant recruitment of armies that you then need to wait X turns to replenish to viability is a sidegrade not an upgrade from the original system.
It definitely adds some extra things to consider since you can merge units to quickly make fuller units at the cost of multiple, finite ones but I personally just didn't really like it, or most of ToB's systems.

I liked the risks and experimentation they took just didn't think it added up to a better experience than baseline TW.
Hopefully they will be refined in 3K rather than discarded or just added as is.

E: DeIs system I thought was good cause you could raise big elite armies from a finite pool from your capitals or military strongholds but if a peripheral or civilian region was attacked you gotta rely on Levy troops, locals and mercs.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 11, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

golden bubble posted:

His reputation as a loyalist is entirely an invention of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Romance made up a bunch of stuff to make Ma Chao look good* instead of the historical truth

Welcome to the Total War franchise. Can I interest you in a katana samurai or a battle priest?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Total War ahistory has nothing on ox carts, juggernauts, invincible wooden armor, and overpowered wind rituals.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

and overpowered wind rituals.

Are we talking Chi Bi? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFQTp8Bo7c

Or Zhang Jiao? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYAkyMzhIU

Ah, memories.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
With the new game on the way, I've been inspired to do some reading on the period and holy gently caress is Chinese history grim. It seems to be full of tragedies on a scale that dwarfs what tended to happen in Europe at the time.

Yes, it does say eaten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suiyang

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that more people = more people to die in droves.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if the rotk total war was historically accurate it would be terrible. offensive campaigns would be Getting Lost In River Gorges Simulator 2019. there would be three unit types, total. your top tier military research weapon would be malaria.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

if the rotk total war was historically accurate it would be terrible. offensive campaigns would be Getting Lost In River Gorges Simulator 2019. there would be three unit types, total. your top tier military research weapon would be malaria.

My pro-strat would be to research the tech that lets you feed your civilians to your soldiers in order to avoid attrition during sieges.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reiterpallasch posted:

*in DW3 Zhang Bao voice* FEEL THE POWER OF MY - MALARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Dramicus posted:

My pro-strat would be to research the tech that lets you feed your civilians to your soldiers in order to avoid attrition during sieges.

If you trade your kids with other parents before eating them you don't suffer a penalty to morale!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out that more people = more people to die in droves.

Yeah the scale of things in China really goes to show you how Eurocentric history as it's taught in the west really is. WW1 is the great tragedy, marked by a solumn day of mourning every year, 16 million dead.

The Taiping Rebellion is a minor footnote, if it's even mentioned at all. 20-30 million dead.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the scale of things in China really goes to show you how Eurocentric history as it's taught in the west really is. WW1 is the great tragedy, marked by a solumn day of mourning every year, 16 million dead.

The Taiping Rebellion is a minor footnote, if it's even mentioned at all. 20-30 million dead.

Is it really Eurocentric, or just "big 3" (Britain, France, Germany) centric? Even stuff that happens in Europe gets hardly any attention if it doesn't involve one of them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There’s also a proportional and a class factor at play. WW1 killed the ruling classes of Europe at a disproportionately high rate and casualties overall represented a significant chunk of the continent’s young men. The victims of the Taiping Rebellion were drawn from a much larger population and mostly not from the class that wrote things down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UIteDF4eII

Most impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be fair the Taiping Rebellion lasted about 14 years or so whilst World War I only lasted 5.