Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Besesoth posted:

:nms: that poo poo, dude.

my bad :ohdearsass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

jesus gently caress ive never scrolled so fast and cringed so hard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fuuuuuuuuuck yes.

Two bros
sitting in a hot tub
five feet apart
'cause they're not gay!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck yes.

Two bros
sitting in a hot tub
five feet apart
'cause they're not gay!

gently caress YOU, MIKE!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck yes.

Two bros
sitting in a hot tub
five feet apart
'cause they're not gay!

Your spoiler tag looks like a fat guy sitting in a hot tub very uncomfortably.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

gently caress YOU, MIKE!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I have a request. I need the picture of the Halloween costume of the second phd thesis defense reviewer. It's basically a bullet-pointed list of criticisms like "Candidate does not cite [reviewer #2] enough" on a big poster board or maybe it was a t-shirt. I saw it on twitter a couple weeks ago but cannot find it again.

Help me Gooni-wan, you're my only hope.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nsfw, cartoon dick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

This was always one of my favorites. Just the amount of confidence and nonchalance. Like he's been puking all over couches and himself his whole life and just showed up to get the night rolling.

That motherfucker's drunk af man. He probably doesn't even know what planet he's on.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

:nms:[url]https://i.imgur.com/cOSsuBC.gifv:nms:[/url]

I laughed a little too much at this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Randy, I'm not mad, although I am very disappointed in you.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biplane posted:

That's fair :ohdearsass:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Biplane posted:

I'm not even disappointed anymore

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Purile typos satisfy me:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

spog posted:

Purile typos satisfy me

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Nov 12, 2018

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

spog posted:

Purile typos satisfy me:

I hate to be that guy, but all I'm seeing is a Guy Goodbody post. What's going on here?

E. Ah, bollocks

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Nov 12, 2018

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mammal Sauce posted:

I hate to be that guy, but all I'm seeing is a Guy Goodbody post. What's going on here?

Bollock/Bullock

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mammal Sauce posted:

Bullock - famous actress, and prime 90s boy-going-through-puberty excitement material.

Bollock - singular testicle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Roblo posted:

I have literally never heard that before. Is that some olde timey expression, like a cowboy would say?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/nagachyan/status/1061913454930419712

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Our UK homies say it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I have literally never heard that before. Is that some olde timey expression, like a cowboy would say?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gripweed posted:

British

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gripweed posted:

English phrase. Both very, very old and also contemporary.

quote:

The word has a long history, with the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) giving examples of its usage dating back to the 13th century. One of the early references is Wycliffe's Bible (1382), Leviticus xxii, 24: "Al beeste, that ... kitt and taken awey the ballokes is, ye shulen not offre to the Lord ..." (any beast that is cut and taken away the bollocks, you shall not offer to the Lord, i.e. castrated animals are not suitable as sacrifices).

The OED states (with abbreviations expanded): "Probably a derivative of Teutonic ball-, of which the Old English representative would be inferred as beall-u, -a, or -e". The Teutonic ball- in turn probably derives from the Proto-Indo-European base *bhel-, to inflate or swell. This base also forms the root of many other words, including "phallus".

It's very flexible, too:

quote:

"Talking bollocks" generally means talking nonsense or bullshit, for example: "Don't listen to him, he's talking bollocks", or "... talking absolute bollocks".

Comparable to cock-up, screw-up, balls-up, etc. Used with the indefinite article, it means a disaster, a mess or a failure. It is often used pejoratively, as in to have "made a bollocks out of it", and it is generally used throughout Britain and Ireland.

To bollocks something up means "to mess something up". It refers to a botched job: "Well, you bollocksed it up that time, Your Majesty!" or "Bollocksed up at work again, I fear. Millions down the drain".
To "drop a bollock"

To "drop a bollock" describes the malfunction of an operation, or messing something up, as in many sports, and in more polite business parlance, dropping the ball brings play to an unscheduled halt.

A "bollocking" usually denotes a robust verbal chastisement for something which one has done (or not done, as the case may be), for instance: "I didn't do my homework and got a right bollocking off Mr Smith",

"A kick in the bollocks" is used to describe a significant set-back or disappointment, e.g. "Freeze (or work) one's bollocks off"

"Bollock naked" is used in the singular form to emphasise being completely nude: "he was completely pissed and stark bollock naked"

"Bollocksed"

Exhausted: "I couldn't sleep at all last night, I'm completely bollocksed!"
Broken: "My foot pump is bollocksed."
An extreme state of inebriation or drug-induced stupor: "Last night I got completely bollocksed".[26]
Hungover (or equivalent): "I drank two bottles of gin last night, I'm completely bollocksed."
Made a mistake: "I tried to draw that landscape, but I bollocksed it up."

A usage with a positive (albeit still vulgar) sense is "the dog's bollocks".] An example of this usage is: "Before Tony Blair's speech, a chap near me growled: 'He thinks he's the dog's bollocks.' Well, he's entitled to. It was a commanding speech: a real dog's bollocks of an oration."[30]

Although this is a recent term (the Online Etymology Dictionary dates it to 1989[29][31]), its origins are obscure. Etymologist Eric Partridge and the Oxford English Dictionary believe the term comes from the now obsolete typographical sequence of a colon and a dash.[32] This typography, using a dash following a colon, was used to introduce a list. Thus, it is a very early example of an emoticon.[1]

The Oxford English Dictionary says the following mark (":— ") is entitled "the dog’s bollocks", defined as: "typogr. a colon followed by a dash, regarded as forming a shape resembling the male sexual organs." The usage is cited to the year 1949.[1][33]

I think I have used all of the above in normal conversations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

I think I have used all of the above in normal conversations.
Sorry about your local cuisine and/or dental well-being and/or brexit

I haven't been keeping up with my anti-UK jibes since my own country is now more obviously a depressing hive of buzzing stupidity

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I haven't been keeping up with my anti-UK jibes since my own country is now more obviously a depressing hive of buzzing stupidity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gross

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Roblo posted:

Well the thread does need a new title...

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Bloop posted:

You're talking bollocks mate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/john_overholt/status/1061757340448448512?s=19

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

"We... didn't think this one through, did we."

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am doing a 32,000 piece puzzle and it is actually somewhat problematic that they used the same die for different portions of the puzzle.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://twitter.com/tommchenry/status/1062039631028457472

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Please don't translate your username into restaurant menus.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I assume that is Foie Gras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Samuringa posted:

I assume that is Foie Gras?

no, it's exploded hosed duck