Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Anyone worrying about painting vs resale value, look above ^^^ people will buy it anyway if they like the layout. Then repaint it themselves, and/or live with (personal opinion) ugly walls for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao new page fml

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

peanut posted:

Anyone worrying about painting vs resale value, look above ^^^ people will buy it anyway if they like the layout. Then repaint it themselves, and/or live with (personal opinion) ugly walls for a while.
I don’t entirely agree - there’s definitely some value in “staging” your home so it looks better right now. Yes, people will repaint but it can still help the resale value.

That said, this should be minimal. Don’t buy the awesome paint, don’t spend tons of money and time, and don’t necessarily hassle with every single room...but a little bit of effort can go a long way. This is even more true if it’s been a while since you painted - if the paint looks visibly bad (peeling, dirty, etc), potential buyers are going to wonder what other :effort: issues might be lurking in the house.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

peanut posted:

Sure but... there’s more to selling then just making a sale. Appeal to the most people and get offers at or above your asking price and negotiate up from there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MagusofStars posted:

I don’t entirely agree - there’s definitely some value in “staging” your home so it looks better right now. Yes, people will repaint but it can still help the resale value.

That said, this should be minimal. Don’t buy the awesome paint, don’t spend tons of money and time, and don’t necessarily hassle with every single room...but a little bit of effort can go a long way. This is even more true if it’s been a while since you painted - if the paint looks visibly bad (peeling, dirty, etc), potential buyers are going to wonder what other :effort: issues might be lurking in the house.

Agreed, the only thing I would diverge on is I almost always buy good paint, since I’m the one putting it up. Good paint is so much nicer to work with. And when you compare an extra $20 per gallon to literal thousands of dollars in sale price it’s an easy spend. Same calculation for a couple of months rental at a storage unit to de clutter and prepack some of your stuff.

I painted two rooms at the recommendation of a stager, and filled a 5x10 unit to the top with furniture and stuff that was clutter and netted $15k over what I thought was an insane asking price. I would have done that for a grand! It’s hard to quantify but I’m certain it’s why we had 6 offers and the enthusiasm of people to go over asking.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't forget:

<Five Years Later>
City: poo poo, we let you put that up on our stormwater drainage and now all this water has nowhere to go, time to pony up for remediation.
Developer: Sorry guy, I'm no longer in business.
City: Wat.
Developer: Yup, dissolved as soon as the project was finished, offloaded the obligations to the HOA by contract.
City: Welp, guess they get to come up with $200k for storm sewers.
HOA: No way! Lol jk the homeowners will just have to pay a levy. $2k each should do it.
Owners: The gently caress you say.
HOA: If you don't pay up, we're forcing a sheriff's sale of your property.
Owners: The gently caress you say!
City: Nah, they can totally do that.
HOA : We totally can.

HOA board member here, we have to maintain a subterranean stormwater vault. The pumps have failed (again, $3K), it's a confined space work environment, I"d suggest everyone get into confined space plumbing as a business. ($2500 to enter the vault, without doing anything).
Fark HOA, took 48 hours to encumber a property owners property when he was loving up. no discussion. suggestion, etc. Lien is the FIRST step.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

some_admin posted:

HOA board member here, we have to maintain a subterranean stormwater vault. The pumps have failed (again, $3K), it's a confined space work environment, I"d suggest everyone get into confined space plumbing as a business. ($2500 to enter the vault, without doing anything).
Fark HOA, took 48 hours to encumber a property owners property when he was loving up. no discussion. suggestion, etc. Lien is the FIRST step.

Fark.com has an HOA?

My uncle's HOA finally, after a year and a half of legislation against it by the riverkeepers and city storm water management, have finally conceded that yes, the ponds are their responsibility (as outlined in nearly every hoa document ever), and they do have to pay to fix the pond my uncle lives on that collapsed in the last hurricane. The last owner on the pond was bullied into horking up 15g, and the pond guys did such a utter poo poo job the pond broke and hemhorhaged into a protected waterway that then flooded neighbors down the creek. They wanted my unkle to pay 30.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Here is some crappy construction tales:

I have just been informed, that my condo plumbing probably contains Kitec pipes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/kitec-plumbing-real-estate-toronto-1.4797120

http://www.kitecsettlement.com/completingform.cfm

:suicide:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

peanut posted:

If there's anything I learned from briefly watching House Hunters is that lots of people don't want to do anything to the house they're buying. If they don't like the paint, they pass. I don't understand these people, but apparently they're out there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

If there's anything I learned from briefly watching House Hunters is that lots of people don't want to do anything to the house they're buying. If they don't like the paint, they pass. I don't understand these people, but apparently they're out there.

They've literally never done any kind of maintenance or other handywork in their lives, so they have no idea how much work it is and that scares them.

Nevermind that even a "move-in-ready" property is going to require maintenance anywhere from 0 to 3 years down the road.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nevermind that even a "move-in-ready" property is going to require maintenance anywhere from 0 to 3 years months down the road.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

They've literally never done any kind of maintenance or other handywork in their lives, so they have no idea how much work it is and that scares them.

Nevermind that even a "move-in-ready" property is going to require maintenance anywhere from 0 to 3 years down the road.

Most of them haven't done any work in their lives, handy or not. The one episode I watched the guy did something like write a travel blog and the girl made artisan candles or something and their budget was 3.2 million.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That show is not filmed in this universe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My parents loving love those shows. THat's like what they do 90% of the time now that they're retired

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

shortspecialbus posted:

Most of them haven't done any work in their lives, handy or not. The one episode I watched the guy did something like write a travel blog and the girl made artisan candles or something and their budget was 3.2 million.

Isn't there a twitter account that generates these? I can't find it but it was something computer-generated, like:

"I'm a stamp licker, she's a dog walker. Our budget is 1.1 million"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Queen Combat posted:

Isn't there a twitter account that generates these? I can't find it but it was something computer-generated, like:

My favorite and also answer when I’m not feeling like talking about my real job is Stay at Home Astronaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntz8KxCxgGQ

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 12, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Queen Combat posted:

https://twitter.com/HouseBudgets/status/1061874838460157953

https://twitter.com/HouseBudgets/status/1060062906816061447

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

In House Hunters they've already bought a house, and they just go tour the other two to make it look like they're trying to choose. So all that 'oh, but the paint is terrible' is just bullshit excuses to exclude something they were never going to buy in the first place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

StormDrain posted:

My favorite and also answer when I’m not feeling like talking about my real job is Stay at Home Astronaut.

!!!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I have friends that were on house hunters and they landed it/filmed it months after they actually bought their house.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

there wolf posted:

In House Hunters they've already bought a house, and they just go tour the other two to make it look like they're trying to choose. So all that 'oh, but the paint is terrible' is just bullshit excuses to exclude something they were never going to buy in the first place.

Nawwwwww, it can't be fake. It's on TV!

Next you are going to say that reality TV is scripted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

It is, but wrestling is real.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Move in ready just means that nothing is broken at the exact 2-hour window you’re at the bank/mortgage office signing the paperwork.

The universe will balance out this discrepancy immediately after you are handed the keys.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MagusofStars posted:

Move in ready just means that nothing is broken at the exact 2-hour window you’re at the bank/mortgage office signing the paperwork.

The universe will balance out this discrepancy immediately after you are handed the keys.

Confirmed, my wall hydrant for the backyard started leaking after the first use. It was discontinued with the last set of replacement parts sold out 10 years ago.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

StormDrain posted:

Confirmed, my wall hydrant for the backyard started leaking after the first use. It was discontinued with the last set of replacement parts sold out 10 years ago.

I had an outdoor outlet go within a week and flooded the basement due to sewer issues within a month.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Turnkey move in ready just means the flipper used enough smarts to hide the real bad poo poo.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of, anything new and exciting going on with that one dude who brought the nightmare house from the flipper?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was at an estate auction where the house had been sold for 45 minutes and an attendee hits an irrigation pipe on his way out, flooding the driveway and yard, and splits.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My boyfriend edits for HGTV and the poo poo they don’t show is either incredibly terrible work from previous owners (let’s wall over extensive fire damage!) but they don’t have the time to include it, or is so un-noteworthy and boring that it’s shocking they get enough footage to cobble together an episode. He works from home a lot so I get to see it all. HGTV is a scourge but boy is the pay good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I swear if I ever hear anyone use "open concept" in IRL life, I'll slap them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Drake_263 posted:

Speaking of, anything new and exciting going on with that one dude who brought the nightmare house from the flipper?

Hoodwinked House? I assume he's still tied up in litigation somehow.

As for my other crappy construction favorite, Olivebridge Cottage, it's apparently finished and rentable on AirBnB, and strangely all the blog posts about it's renovation seems to have disappeared? https://www.olivebridgecottage.com/
http://manhattan-nest.com/tag/olivebridge-cottage/

Turned out pretty bland, I gotta say, but I suppose that's all down to the decor.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I wish I got paid a bazillion dollars by my friends to be a general contractor for a renovation because I mentioned one time that I own a mitre saw and have the friends blame everyone except me for my massive failings because I don't actually know what I'm doing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That was just a crappy situation from beginning to end I think. The project was originally supposed to be just one or two steps above what he was already doing, but then as they demoed, they uncovered all kinds of horrifying poo poo. At that point I think he wanted to get out but they wanted to keep him in. I think finally they had expanded their wish list so much that they needed an official architect to add a second story and all kinds of stuff.

It's shady that all got deleted. I don't know whether it was him trying to memoryhole it or whether they were like "it might hurt our airbnb value if people know they're sleeping on crumbling sawdust"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

there wolf posted:

And on the apartment one they usually haven't picked any of them, they're just people who have the right "look" that HGTV wants for an episode so they pretend they give a poo poo about any of the ones they're shown. I had a friend-of-a-friend who was on one of those and they just fed him and his gf "their budget" and then "picked" one. Used the money they got from that to pay deposit+1st month on a more reasonable place. :v:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

That was just a crappy situation from beginning to end I think. The project was originally supposed to be just one or two steps above what he was already doing, but then as they demoed, they uncovered all kinds of horrifying poo poo. At that point I think he wanted to get out but they wanted to keep him in. I think finally they had expanded their wish list so much that they needed an official architect to add a second story and all kinds of stuff.

It's shady that all got deleted. I don't know whether it was him trying to memoryhole it or whether they were like "it might hurt our airbnb value if people know they're sleeping on crumbling sawdust"

It was way over his head from the start and while he mentions that he told them so, he shouldn't have caved when they kept at it. I blame the owners a bit more than him but quite a bit of everything is on him for not bailing when he realized how far over his head it was and more importantly if I remember right he took on a SECOND RENOVATION from them after the first disaster was done, didn't he?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
lmao I don't remember that part! I think the last I saw, they were going to an actual architect for stairs and structural stuff, and he was using that point to get out of it. I think he styled the place later, but hopefully he got out of all the huge work the place needed

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hoodwinked House? I assume he's still tied up in litigation somehow.

More just posting slow remediation updates.

https://www.facebook.com/hoodwinkedhouse/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Anne Whateley posted:

lmao I don't remember that part! I think the last I saw, they were going to an actual architect for stairs and structural stuff, and he was using that point to get out of it. I think he styled the place later, but hopefully he got out of all the huge work the place needed

Guy was just an interior remodeler, basically, but got roped into being a home builder, essentially. I definitely would have noped out the second the owners started talking about a second floor like you can just plop them down on top, or quoted “gently caress you” money for the job. That way, if he got it, he could subcontract a real builder and make a profit from their dumb asses.
Dude did amazing work with the poo poo sandwich he was given, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Guy was just an interior remodeler, basically, but got roped into being a home builder, essentially. I definitely would have noped out the second the owners started talking about a second floor like you can just plop them down on top, or quoted “gently caress you” money for the job. That way, if he got it, he could subcontract a real builder and make a profit from their dumb asses.
Dude did amazing work with the poo poo sandwich he was given, though.

They were already putting in a whole new foundation and entire front wall of the house. Seems like the perfect time to add the extra story if you want it.

Someone will have to actually go book a stay at Olive Bridge cottage and check it for gently caress ups to be sure, but it seems like the guy upped his skill set with it and doesn't deserve to be shittalked for coming in a renovator and ending up a project manager. The really ridiculous part is how a squirrel nest resting on loose gravel managed to pass itself off as a functional house for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

there wolf posted:

They were already putting in a whole new foundation and entire front wall of the house. Seems like the perfect time to add the extra story if you want it.

Someone will have to actually go book a stay at Olive Bridge cottage and check it for gently caress ups to be sure, but it seems like the guy upped his skill set with it and doesn't deserve to be shittalked for coming in a renovator and ending up a project manager. The really ridiculous part is how a squirrel nest resting on loose gravel managed to pass itself off as a functional house for so long.

I mean I guess if I could basically get paid by clients with limitless funds to do a job well above my skillset after warning them of said skillset limitations, I'd probably do it too.

My memory is a bit hazy on the whole thing, but I guess he did the best with what he had to work with on that project and it's not like he misled them as far as I know.

I still swear there was a second project with him and the same rich couple that went very poorly too - am I misremembering?