Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Jedit posted:

So long as they paid $10 each, Lowtax won't mind this time.

Perma banned for account sharing :wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
everything about that plane was badass

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

I went to the Air Force museum over the weekend, where one of these is on display. One of the engineers was there, too. He was fascinating to listen to.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That thing was all around ridiculous. Until the materials expanded from supersonic speed, it would leak fuel constantly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Truly the Sonichu of the air force "Gotta go fast"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Why is that not a gif? It really needs to be a gif.

https://i.imgur.com/Y2GtKw0.gifv

There, much better.

Gonna have to vote that a substantial adult device is attached to his seat.

Otherwise not so much fun.

Edited for desire to not url edit tonight. Backspace.

Otteration has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Nov 13, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ElGroucho posted:

That thing was all around ridiculous. Until the materials expanded from supersonic speed, it would leak fuel constantly.

There’s one in a museum in Oregon, where the Spruce Goose is, that has most of it’s auxiliary carts, camera modules, radar units and such with it, including a little drone that looks like a miniature SR-71. It’s start-cart used a 401 Nailhead Buick engine.

The museum guy said that all hydraulic systems on the SR-71 use its own fuel as a hydraulic fluid - it might leak like a sieve, but as long as the fuel gauge shows good, the hydraulics are fine.

Everything about the SR-71 is completely badass.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Fastest guys out there

yeah it's that story again but it's such a good story

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pro click, this dude is loving unbelievable

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The fact that this plane was designed on a literal drawing board and not computers still baffles me. And I think it went from concept to prototype in 18 months or something stupid like that. I'm not sure there will ever be a cooler airplane.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, I know where to look. It's just so fast that unless I go frame-by-frame I can't see it even if I know exactly where to put my eyes. I was able to find a slow motion angle:

Jesus, until I saw this I legit thought the guy who got knocked out gave himself an uppercut, it was so goddamn fast

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The fact that this plane was designed on a literal drawing board and not computers still baffles me. And I think it went from concept to prototype in 18 months or something stupid like that. I'm not sure there will ever be a cooler airplane.

Until this plane becomes a reality:

Then yes, it is the coolest plane.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Picture is from an old trip to a zoo in Palm Springs. Guessing African Wild Dog?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's obviously some sort of dog/bat/zebra. Or Zogat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

HAmbONE posted:

Picture is from an old trip to a zoo in Palm Springs. Guessing African Wild Dog?

It's my fursona

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

HAmbONE posted:

Some hyena sub-species. Forget which. Not dog. Would love a correction.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

It's a striped hyena. Very adorable. I know a guy that used to raise those for zoos and rich dudes.

They aren't very aggressive but man they'd sure keep people the gently caress out of your house.

E: there's also a miniature bug-eating version called an aardwolf. Ultra harmless unless you're made of insects

Cute but still badass because it's still a hyena.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Nov 14, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Until this plane becomes a reality:

Then yes, it is the coolest plane.

The eh-X-twe-en-ty Niiiine!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Not Very Metal posted:

Fastest guys out there

yeah it's that story again but it's such a good story

It really is :allears:

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

got fired from Snopes has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Nov 14, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somebody put that transformer's wings on backward.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stonk:

Someone paint snake skin on this thing ASAP!

edit:
Well I'll be goddamned. I knew that plane was too cool to not have some basis in reality. GI Joe developers on their own would always come up with poo poo like this :

Granted, having half a Bell helicopter would be neat, it's still not cool.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

ElGroucho posted:

In the video I'm linking the pilot addresses that. It was true, but not nearly as severe as its made out to be. I've even read that they needed an immediate refuel after takeoff cause of the leakage. It did leak and it did seal once the skin heated up but the leaks were small enough that they just had little drip pans on under the plane to collect the fuel. The video is long but super fascinating.

https://youtu.be/CeBu6mRDaro

All of the blackbird pilots I've seen are great. They know how bad rear end they are but they never let it slip.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

sneakyfrog posted:

everything about that plane was badass

starts with CIA skunkworks and ends with no planes ever lost to enemy intercept

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Nov 14, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

In the video I'm linking the pilot addresses that. It was true, but not nearly as severe as its made out to be. I've even read that they needed an immediate refuel after takeoff cause of the leakage. It did leak and it did seal once the skin heated up but the leaks were small enough that they just had little drip pans on under the plane to collect the fuel. The video is long but super fascinating.

https://youtu.be/CeBu6mRDaro

All of the blackbird pilots I've seen are great. They know how bad rear end they are but they never let it slip.

in sled driver it's discussed a bit, they would fuel up after takeoff because that way they knew the tanks were full and could calculate their range based on that, because they could never be exactly sure how much they might have used getting to altitude

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scathach posted:

Cute but still badass because it's still a hyena.

I need this mohawked punk hyena for my private zoo

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

HAmbONE posted:

Definitely a striped Hyena. They're super nocturnal so unless you're out in the dark in the wild in Africa, you're not likely to see one.

They're really shy though, not likely to come near a human. And don't live in clans the way their spotted brethern do.

Spotted hyenas are the badasses. They're big, smart predators. Jaws strong enough to break a giraffe femur.

Everybody always thinks lions are the top predators out there, but lion only kill about 30% of what they eat. They steal or scavenge the rest from other animals. Hyenas in the area where I used to live kill about 90% of what they eat.

That being said, they're too smart to get close to a human. Unless you're asleep or deadass drunk, they're not coming near you.

Here's a few spotted ones from a few weeks ago. (Thumbnails because phone posting)

That's Amazon. She was hanging out in the mud.

That's Tasty Twist and her cubs Scat and Guano

Tasty again, because mom's gonna mom.

I went out to look at hyenas with some researchers from Michigan State University. There's more pictures on their blog.

St_Ides has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Nov 14, 2018

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you on drugs? The Trouble Bubble™ is one of the coolest, most badd-rear end things ever.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

HAmbONE posted:

Well I'll be hosed. I was watching Nosferatu a couple weeks ago, and there's a short scene involving an animal I didn't recognize at all. Some weird looking European wolf I thought. I come to find out, thanks to this thread, it was a striped hyena. Cool.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

St_Ides posted:

Everybody always thinks lions are the top predators out there, but lion only kill about 30% of what they eat. They steal or scavenge the rest from other animals. Hyenas in the area where I used to live kill about 90% of what they eat.

That being said, they're too smart to get close to a human. Unless you're asleep or deadass drunk, they're not coming near you.

Yep, but this was a trend a few years ago:

https://i.imgur.com/XmFMHja.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NjCzt.jpg

Being social, Hyenas are pretty drat smart. And social:

https://i.imgur.com/t4xR8eR.jpg

Same dude we've seen hanging with the pride:

https://i.imgur.com/TbAEAe3.jpg

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
Well I'll be goddamned. I knew that plane was too cool to not have some basis in reality. GI Joe developers on their own would always come up with poo poo like this :

Huh, I have the engine from that in a box somewhere. I've never owned a GI Joe toy though, I always wondered where it came from.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Otteration posted:

Yep, but this was a trend a few years ago:

https://i.imgur.com/XmFMHja.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NjCzt.jpg

Being social, Hyenas are pretty drat smart. And social:

https://i.imgur.com/t4xR8eR.jpg

Same dude we've seen hanging with the pride:

https://i.imgur.com/TbAEAe3.jpg

I'd be a bit more concerned about the guy with the baboon to be honest.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Former DILF posted:

starts with CIA skunkworks and ends with no planes ever lost to enemy intercept

Nah, it ended with setting another record on its way to the museum.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

didnt GI Joes have a plane that was awfully similar to the SR71?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Agents are GO! posted:

didnt GI Joes have a plane that was awfully similar to the SR71?

Yep, the Night Raven.

I was given one of those by my dad for christmas when I was 10 and it was the coolest thing ever. Then my mother, who a) hated my father and b) was an enormous hippy, boxed it all up and gave it to Goodwill.

edit: gently caress it I have money I just bought one NIB on ebay. gently caress you mum.

Memento has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Nov 16, 2018

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had the original Sky Striker, which was modeled after the Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

That thing was awesome.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I had the original Sky Striker, which was modeled after the Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

That thing was awesome.

I was a little late to the Joe game but I did end up with the one modeled after the A-10. By that point they'd abandoned Uber patriotic colors for day-glo though so it looked like something Khadafi would fly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

oh my god so do i