Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Staltran posted:

I don't see how. Your brain is part of the physical world. And if you go psionic ascension, you will probably have some paionic pops who are materialist (it doesn't even decrease the attraction).

I think it decreases materialist attraction indirectly by massively boosting spiritualist attraction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So I ruined a save last night by misclicking and doing a monthly transfer of 1000 energy instead of a one time transfer.

Too bad I was doing well that save.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/1061952810445619202?s=21

That one consistent planet spawn is something I’ve been complaining about for a while (because they are placed after galaxy gen and have no modifiers) and it’s really nice to see this change.

I play with Gulli’s planet mods so it’s always been annoying to have those planets stick out next to every homeworld. Thanks wiz.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Vargatron posted:

So I ruined a save last night by misclicking and doing a monthly transfer of 1000 energy instead of a one time transfer.

If you have the income to recover from it, spend all your energy so you can't send them the 1k. The trade deal will automatically end, but they will get a decaying negative opinion modifier for you flaking out.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vargatron posted:

Can't afford payments? Try the time-honored strategy of declaring war!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Geemer posted:

If you have the income to recover from it, spend all your energy so you can't send them the 1k. The trade deal will automatically end, but they will get a decaying negative opinion modifier for you flaking out.

Oh poo poo, I didn't think about that. They were assholes anyway that I was trying to befriend so no loss there.

isndl posted:

Can't afford payments? Try the time-honored strategy of declaring war!

I thought deals persisted through war.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I just started a new game with max habitable planets, max empires, max primitives, and 2.5x tech cost to see what would happen.

July 2201: sneak attack by religious cult that managed to commandeer multiple corvettes.

Definitely not expecting combat quite that early, even with the galaxy options. :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Breaking news: Gnop Hoxroz ousted from Space Senate after disastrous trade deal with Blorgian Dynasty.

Strobe posted:

I just started a new game with max habitable planets, max empires, max primitives, and 2.5x tech cost to see what would happen.

July 2201: sneak attack by religious cult that managed to commandeer multiple corvettes.

Definitely not expecting combat quite that early, even with the galaxy options. :v:

Same thing happened to me two weeks after game start. I thought it added some nice story flair, because a few years later, the Old Gods chain started.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 12, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

How many religious/spiritual people do you know in real life? Baded on this post, I would guess zero.

It's absolutely possible to be spiritualist and believe computets can at most simulate consciousness and have no soul, so sentient/sapient AI should be outlawed, while being totally fine with automating a whole host of tasks.

Yes, true. And doesn't have anything to do with what I said. At least I can't remember claiming all spiritualistic people always everywhere behave exactly like my most extreme examples. :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Same thing happened to me two weeks after game start. I thought it added some nice story flair, because a few years later, the Old Gods chain started.

That's pretty awesome, but it's a completely random coincidence to have them both occur. There are a series of event chains that can start at the beginning of the game. Last I checked, there was a 10% chance for the Sublight Probes, 10% chance for the Cult, 10% chance for Mass Extinction, a 1% chance for the Rogue Scientist, and a :trumppop:69% chance for nothing.

The Old Gods chain is a completely unrelated anomaly chain that has a nice payoff for finishing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vargatron posted:

poo poo, you're right. Too used to other games where it does break trade agreements. :sigh:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well it shouldn't take me more than 2 months to go bankrupt. I'm glad I can at least save that savegame.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vargatron posted:

That seems like a bit of a big bug :eyepop: "we have decided to exterminate you dear neighbours, but i hope this doesnt put a dampener on our 10 gold per month for space hentai deal"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kw0134 posted:

Which is a little odd considering that it's this part that materialists specifically deny.

*summons an avatar from beyond space and time to take me home because space Uber doesn't go to my neighborhood
Materialists don't even deny that psionics are real once they're demonstrated as possible. The axis as-used seems to be "How much proof do you need to believe in something, and also how do you feel about robots". "Do you prioritise evidence or faith" is a solid question to base a dichotomy on, but not really a solid mechanic to base gameplay on.

Materialist is something you can easily hang a few non-mutually exclusive hats on, because it's the "Hooray science!" ethos. Is it sciencey? Great, slam it in there, it'll fit fine. Spiritualist (the Stellaris ethic, not the real world concept) is a weird mishmash of woo, religion, magic, and psychics, which aren't actually all the same thing. It's in the possibly impossible position of needing to cover every one of these simultaneously and also retain enough focus to make sense as a government ethic.

And that's not even mentioning how the interplay of science and religion is such a scifi mainstay that making them mutually exclusive cuts out huge amounts of the Space Opera source material.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I interpret spritualism as space magic in the Destiny mold. No scientists will doubt that it exists but by definition it is outside of causality and impossible to measure or predict.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dongattack posted:

That seems like a bit of a big bug :eyepop: "we have decided to exterminate you dear neighbours, but i hope this doesnt put a dampener on our 10 gold per month for space hentai deal"

It's not a bug. Trade deals are suspended during wars but are re-instituted once the peace is signed.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vengarr posted:

It's not a bug. Trade deals are suspended during wars but are re-instituted once the peace is signed.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I thought they continued during the war too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
'As per our research agreement we have sent over various parts for study. Disregard the fact they have weapons attached and are shooting at you. This was all part of the deal'

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure Ciaphas meant that it was still in use as late as WWII.

Probably, yeah. But then I put his post into an online-webtranslator to make sure I understood him correctly and the translation it spit out claimed it was the other way around. So I went "Huh. Apparently I was wrong"

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Rynoto posted:

'As per our research agreement we have sent over various parts for study. Disregard the fact they have weapons attached and are shooting at you. This was all part of the deal'

"It is crucial that you get to analyse them in action and close up"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rynoto posted:

'As promised we are now sharing our weapon technology with you. Liberally.'

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Materialist vs Spiritualist and the connection to psionics is a little nonsensical along in-universe designs, but it can be, because that's not it's purpose. What it does is provide very easy templates for making Your Space Empire, which is and has always been the point.

Don't think of it along weird TVTropes-esque lines of categorization, think of it in lines of "what makes the game more fun and cool?" Space psychics vs robot empire is very fun and cool.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Materialist vs Spiritualist and the connection to psionics is a little nonsensical along in-universe designs, but it can be, because that's not it's purpose. What it does is provide very easy templates for making Your Space Empire, which is and has always been the point.

Don't think of it along weird TVTropes-esque lines of categorization, think of it in lines of "what makes the game more fun and cool?" Space psychics vs robot empire is very fun and cool.
Once psionics is empirically demonstrated and you get past the inevitable 'that's IMPOSSIBLE! it wasn't like THAT when I was at Blorg U! I won't accept it' - which can be safely elided in the view of Stellaris - it seems to pose no real problems with an actually materialist worldview. I think the idea is that materialists will instead not think like that.

I mean spiritualists are wrong too, you can have psionic robots can't you?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Whether Materialists can accept psionics depends on whether the underlying basis for it eludes a systemic and empirically verifiable basis. Sure, you can prove that some religious aliens really seem to be able to read minds and poo poo, but you can't detect the reason why using any of your instruments and when you ask the smug fuckers for some insight they tell you to meditate on the lake spirit??? What the gently caress is that!!!!!!!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the biggest divide is that the spiritualists think synths are soulless robots and materialists dismiss that as bullshit, and say synths are the same as people. you can accepts psionics as real without this nonsense about 'souls'....after all, i'm a synth, and i feel fine!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the biggest divide is that the spiritualists think synths are soulless robots and materialists dismiss that as bullshit, and say synths are the same as people. you can accepts psionics as real without this nonsense about 'souls'....after all, i'm a synth, and i feel fine!
You're just programmed to say that

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Literally none of this matters because, again, the point was never to create the most realistic interpretation of an empire that values empirical science, the point was to great broad stereotypes to tell fun stories.

GunnerJ posted:

Whether Materialists can accept psionics depends on whether the underlying basis for it eludes a systemic and empirically verifiable basis. Sure, you can prove that some religious aliens really seem to be able to read minds and poo poo, but you can't detect the reason why using any of your instruments and when you ask the smug fuckers for some insight they tell you to meditate on the lake spirit??? What the gently caress is that!!!!!!!

This also rules.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

But it doesn't lead to fun gameplay or provide an easy template for Your Space Empire. It locks down a large number of potential empires for minimal, arguably no, gain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

Literally none of this matters because, again, the point was never to create the most realistic interpretation of an empire that values empirical science, the point was to great broad stereotypes to tell fun stories.
Except the current setup disallows several common and popular sci fi stereotypes for no real reason. They're not restrictions made for balance purposes or due to innate limitations of the system, they're deliberately introduced restrictions that preclude a large number of popular space empire archetypes. Providing broad stereotypes to tell fun stories is the goal, but the execution in this specific area is not good.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It provides some basic political topography to the galaxy. It makes sure there's stress points between empires, just like the split between slave havers and egalitarians that provide some causes for wars in the later game. Galaxies need that or it turns into boring hugboxes or wars that are always the same. Also it helps tell the AI what to do on a bigger scale. "I'm a spritualist I should hate those materialists" is easy politics for an AI to understand.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Torrannor posted:

I think it decreases materialist attraction indirectly by massively boosting spiritualist attraction?

Sure, but it similarly decreases e.g. xenophile attraction too by that logic.

GunnerJ posted:

The existence of the psionic theory tech and it being a prerequisite for the ascension path heavily implies it does have a systemic and empirically verifiable basis.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Space psychics vs robot empire is very fun and cool.
Assuming you're playing the robots, anyway, since playing a psionic empire is more frustrating than fun.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I mean, if you're looking for more tolerant empires for both sides of this, you don't be a materialist or spiritualist.

Then you are the "enlightened" empire that looks at both space magic or talking robots and goes "Yeah okay, that seems to be working out for you, maybe we'll do the same."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Staltran posted:

The existence of the psionic theory tech and it being a prerequisite for the ascension path heavily implies it does have a systemic and empirically verifiable basis.

Or researching the tech just entails a lot of meditating on the lake spirit by your society researcher. :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 13, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"I dunno why those Spiritualists hate robots and hives-they're practically one themselves. Assholes barely question ANYTHING."

The issue between them is more and deeper than just Psi. Science is generally speaking, based on questioning, and spiritualists(at least in the game) tend to make a consensus, then push it down everyone's throat. This has benefits and drawbacks. I mean, our own civilisation across the world has gone through times of the priesthood being the only font of knowledge left(because they were the only educated ones), to suppressing/declaring advancement and people wanting to study things as heresy.

It's...a tricky thing. There are many ways to read a thing. Think of the Traditional trait. You get more unity. 'Tradition' has also been used to prevent experimentation. Not that that's a bad thing as such, these things become traditions because they worked, dammit. But times also change, and sometimes traditions need to change as well.

Paradox has been careful not to attach too much to a thing, and in many ways they've been loosening up and allowing more.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 13, 2018

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Sorry Mardak Vol, I can't put you in colony ships because of you culture shock...I'll have to wait for next game to let you live. At least the end of that chain will not trigger until you control the system and reveal the planet. So I can cordon it off and prepare next time if it pops too early.

Also I don't remember there being any hard locks preventing spiritualists from synth ascension, it just extremely fucks over your spiritualist faction and pops all of a sudden. For materialists I tend to play with mods but even in vanilla, I am sure you can still get psionics and the ascension path, it's just extremely badly weighted for you. Am I remembering this wrong?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HiKaizer posted:

Sorry Mardak Vol, I can't put you in colony ships because of you culture shock...I'll have to wait for next game to let you live. At least the end of that chain will not trigger until you control the system and reveal the planet. So I can cordon it off and prepare next time if it pops too early.

Also I don't remember there being any hard locks preventing spiritualists from synth ascension, it just extremely fucks over your spiritualist faction and pops all of a sudden. For materialists I tend to play with mods but even in vanilla, I am sure you can still get psionics and the ascension path, it's just extremely badly weighted for you. Am I remembering this wrong?

My current game has Spiritualist and is currently on the synth ascension path, yes.

But you can't give full rights to robots.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Clarste posted:

My current game has Spiritualist and is currently on the synth ascension path, yes.

But you can't give full rights to robots.

"Alright, priest-father, congratulations on your shiny new body! You subhuman piece of poo poo."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HiKaizer posted:

For materialists I tend to play with mods but even in vanilla, I am sure you can still get psionics and the ascension path, it's just extremely badly weighted for you. Am I remembering this wrong?

You need a scientist with the psionic trait as materialist which is extremely tough to get as materialist (there’s like one event or you luck out from allied races).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I want spirtualust rogue servitors. Am I my brother's keeper?

That works for the exterminators too.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ulmont posted:

You need a scientist with the psionic trait as materialist which is extremely tough to get as materialist (there’s like one event or you luck out from allied races).

Maniac is also acceptable.