Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mcmagic posted:

She's getting a free senate seat next year and will need to run in 2020 so she needs to look relatively sane.
Why does McSally get a Senate seat next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Assuming Dems win the Presidency, they only need 2, since ties go to VP. Buuuuuuut they're probably going to lose Doug Jones' seat in Alabama, so we're back to needing 3.

ME and CO look pretty loving plausible. So that just requires one of AZ, NC, MT, IA, or GA. I like those odds.

Yes, but I think Collins will run again and she will probably be a lot tougher to beat than many expect, even after Kavanaugh. It could be like the GOP trying to beat Tester in Montana.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

unfortunately

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why does McSally get a Senate seat next year?

The guy appointed to McCain's seat is quitting in January

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Apparently the youth offenders are 18-24 and many end up with jobs in fire departments when they get out.

But I still say it's slavery and hosed up

That's not true. They're barred from getting the licenses they need to become actual firefighters after they've served their time, making it even more hosed up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/08/20/californias-volunteer-inmate-firefighters-denied-jobs-after-release-column/987677002/

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Fabulous Knight posted:

Yes, but I think Collins will run again and she will probably be a lot tougher to beat than many expect, even after Kavanaugh. It could be like the GOP trying to beat Tester in Montana.

if tester had been the deciding vote and made a whole big show of it only to vote in the way that his constituency overwhelmingly didn't want him to, he probably would have lost

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

For the last few weeks she's been surprisingly chill about how everything went, I'm stunned

It's because she is pretty much guaranteed Kyl's seat.

She has no reason to be angry.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Z. Autobahn posted:

Assuming Dems win the Presidency, they only need 2, since ties go to VP. Buuuuuuut they're probably going to lose Doug Jones' seat in Alabama, so we're back to needing 3.

ME and CO look pretty loving plausible. So that just requires one of AZ, NC, MT, IA, or GA. I like those odds.
With Simena but without Nelson, it's 47-53. Losing Jones puts it at 46-54, so that leaves two of that list with my personal money being on NC and AZ.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DiggityDoink posted:

That's not true. They're barred from getting the licenses they need to become actual firefighters after they've served their time, making it even more hosed up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/08/20/californias-volunteer-inmate-firefighters-denied-jobs-after-release-column/987677002/

And they often don't tell them this when they are 'volunteering.' It is beyond hosed.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Tibalt posted:

With Simena but without Nelson, it's 47-53. Losing Jones puts it at 46-54, so that leaves two of that list with my personal money being on NC and AZ.

Welp I'm dumb math is hard thank you

Fabulous Knight posted:

Tester was riding a blue wave while Collins is fighting against it, which is pretty different, and Tester didn't poo poo himself on a giant public stage the way Collins did.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sweeper posted:

Holy poo poo how is this even legal, like I knew prisoners performed menial jobs for no pay but fighting loving fires??

Oh, they get paid (maybe)

https://twitter.com/codehitchhiker/status/1026963367108517888

Service guarantees citizenship.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sweeper posted:

Holy poo poo how is this even legal, like I knew prisoners performed menial jobs for no pay but fighting loving fires??

I would have thought there'd be some sort of practical consideration. Here in Canberra, where we have bush right up to the fences of houses, firefighting is an insanely elite profession, with 400 applicants for about 5 positions every year. And, apparently, the bit that weeds out the most is the psych test. I mean, you can get yourself fit, but you can't fake having the psych profile they need.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Firefighters jobs have also massively changed over the years with them being expected to minimally also be EMT - B for medical emergencies along with a lot of other things. They're almost alway the first responders etc..

Like the majority of calls that firefighter respond to are actually medical and not fire related.

They do a lot beyond just "fight fires".

It'd be easier to describe them as "rescue professionals" which is really what they are. Kid stuck in a well call the fire department . Trapped underneath something ? Fire Department . Anything rescue related the fire department handles.

They should really be making minimally 20+ a hour.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hollismason posted:

Firefighters jobs have also massively changed over the years with them being expected to minimally also be EMT - B for medical emergencies along with a lot of other things. They're almost alway the first responders etc..

Like the majority of calls that firefighter respond to are actually medical and not fire related.

They do a lot beyond just "fight fires".

It'd be easier to describe them as "rescue professionals".

This too. Their pay is abysmally low for what we expect of them.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1062145970035679233
:tif:

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I mentioned Tester as more of a generic example of a popular incumbent who should by all logic get voted out in his/her state because of how red/blue it is. But I might be overestimating Collins' ability to hang on and it's true that her approvals probably took quite a big hit. Maybe Susan will be more of a Donnelly/McCaskill kind of case. It will be curious to see the first polls when it's time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Noticed this today and thought it was funny

but yeah, Schumer's love of bipartisanship is worrying

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I'm really more bothered by the fascists in charge of the government Chuck.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Z. Autobahn posted:

Welp I'm dumb math is hard thank you
It doesn't help that the NUMBER KEEPS CHANGING gently caress

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think people just have this image of firefighters jut fighting fires, but the new model for EMS is a combined approach where EMS and Firefighters are one unit meaning that you don't have separated services. This is whats called the Seatle model if I am remembering correctly.

Prior to that model EMS and Fire were kind of seperate and some areas they still are, but now they realize its just better for the community to have paramedics who are also firefighters than just firefighters.

Like they do a lot.

Basically any emergency that is not a "Police only " emergency fire fighters are going to show up to.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Where do you see this?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You'd think fixing airline seats would be something that could pass bipartisan though. I mean, compared to fighting fascism, which definitely won't.

(I actually think the sardine-ification of airline seats IS a problem...)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stillvisions posted:

I really hope this wasn't done tactically as a way to try and shame the Florida recounts into giving up:

"See? We did the honorable thing and gave up (because we knew the gig was up), why won't those uncivil Democrats?"

Because if so it's going to be a Right Wing talking point for the next two years.

As opposed to...?

DLC Inc posted:

For the last few weeks she's been surprisingly chill about how everything went, I'm stunned

Surprised to know the GOP was still capable of producing good losers.

Fabulous Knight posted:

It took 24 hours to raise 3 million dollars for her opponent who hasn't even declared yet. What are the things that will make her hard to beat?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

corn in the bible posted:

Dumb question but where can you look at this list?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Posting gloryhole > most ignored users. A number of thread regulars are on there.

Guze posted:

I'm really more bothered by the fascists in charge of the government Chuck.

The Baileys just arrived in France.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 13, 2018

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

It took 24 hours to raise 3 million dollars for her opponent who hasn't even declared yet. What are the things that will make her hard to beat?

Ah, I didn't know that had happened. Well, looks as though I'm probably wrong then. It should be a winnable seat, so that's good to hear.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1062143024636092416

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mistaya posted:

You'd think fixing airline seats would be something that could pass bipartisan though. I mean, compared to fighting fascism, which definitely won't.

(I actually think the sardine-ification of airline seats IS a problem...)

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the airlines want to pack people in like sardines because more people per flight =more profits. Also it means more revenues to afford to bribe politicians I mean lobby politicians to keep them from passing any laws meant to prevent the packing of people into planes like sardines. So yeah, it might be a bipartisan issue for people but not politicians.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Fulchrum posted:

Money doesn't win elections, two years is a long time, Maine is loving weird, unlike Gardner and Tillis she's a senior senator with a theoretically better finger pulse of her constituents, etc etc.

I'd expect Collins to lose but wouldn't be surprised if she survived.

Edit: Kavanaugh may be unpopular in Maine, but not as unpopular with Collins base, third party spoiler, two years is a real long time

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Where do you see this?

VH4Ever posted:

Dumb question but where can you look at this list?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/kyrstensinema/status/1062160458650550272

She could be worse than Manchin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hollismason posted:

I think people just have this image of firefighters jut fighting fires, but the new model for EMS is a combined approach where EMS and Firefighters are one unit meaning that you don't have separated services. This is whats called the Seatle model if I am remembering correctly.

Prior to that model EMS and Fire were kind of seperate and some areas they still are, but now they realize its just better for the community to have paramedics who are also firefighters than just firefighters.

Like they do a lot.

Basically any emergency that is not a "Police only " emergency fire fighters are going to show up to.

And now a lot of people call the fire department rather than police because they don't want to be shot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well that's at least one extra state where voting shenanigans will hopefully be kept to a minimum.

Is it too late to switch the vote for McSally?

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I thought the big differentiator there was whether Sinema won? Dems are -3 now, not -4.

Big assumption that we win the presidency, then we need 50 votes to control the senate in 2020 (and he who shall not be named becomes the kingmaker for judicial appointees). The republicans currently have 51 senators and will likely get 52 when Mississippi votes again. If they win the runoff, then they're at 53. If we save Nelson's seat, then I think its pretty likely that we'd keep the house and the senate.

In 2020, a fair expectation is that Doug Jones will win when all the trump chuds come out for Trump and he isn't literally running against a sex pest (54 R). Likewise, even as a pessimist, I'd say we're probably going to win in Maine and in Colorado (52 R). I don't think anyone can really predict if we'll win against an incumbent in Arizona, North Carolina, or Iowa, but we'd need to flip two of those seats to win the Senate.

If the past two years have shown us anything, its that there are an infinite number of scandals possible, like we're reaching an asymptote the closer we get to the end of the term. But I think to flip against two incumbents, its going to require something seismic, since if the R's were going to be phased by a scandal, it would have happened by now. One scenario that is possible would be the economy going into a recession (JP morgan has released an estimate that this is 60% likely to happen by 2020). Obviously this would suck. So what I'm hoping actually happens -- and I think is fairly plausible -- is that Mueller releases a report that focuses not so much on Russian collusion to hack emails, but on millions and billions of dollars laundered via the Russian government by Trump, and likely the Russian mob for that matter. I do realistically think that would be a breaking point for enough people to win an election.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The ultimate prize is up in 2020: Mitch McConnell. He is consistently the most unpopular senator in their own states. He's uninspiring, has no charisma, and no charm. But he outspends his opponents and runs ruthless campaigns.

Still, just imagine it.

Maybe she will be, but I don't think that tweet says anything.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 13, 2018

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

She will be, if her Senate record reflects how she voted/spoke while a congresswoman (from the most liberal district in AZ, no less). Even in her acceptance speech it was all about "work with literally anyone to get things done" "John McCain is my role model" "You will have a true independent voice in Washington."

I would love to be wrong though, and us AZ Dems will do everything we can to hold her accountable now that we have put her there.

This is actually the best result to come out of the AZ elections. Having a competent SoS means we can have a shot at actually having a fair election come 2020 (not to mention AZ has a weird history of losing governors before their terms are complete, so a Democratic SoS would be a surprise governor pickup if that happened).

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

I never looked at O'Rouke in that light, but here I am, waiting for the fan art to show up.

As for Lee Carter: show your face, bro. We know you're one of us. (Also, if you guys see him, ask if he has stairs, please).

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

drat, I gotta up my shitposting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now a lot of people call the fire department rather than police because they don't want to be shot.

cops hate it. One trick on how to 9-1-1 and not get shot for being non white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Or it could be she is appealing to their recently deceased and (still popular) Senator John McCain?

I know we are extremely online and see McCain for what he was, but a vast majority of people in this country see McCain with a great deal of reverance.

I imagine that Trump dragging McCain so hard probably helped Sinema pick up quite a few angry Republicans, as evidenced by the Maricopa county numbers.