Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Tying my credit to some unknown person referred to me by Mr. Money Moustache would give me a loving heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm gonna guess that they never know your full account number, and maybe not your name either, not sure how that would look exactly on their credit report?

They are talking the bigger risk, since you will know their name and SSN.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What if you add a drug dealer or a pedophile as an AU and now LE starts looking into you?

What if the AU calls the card company and somehow manages to get a replacement card sent their way?

I’m sure it mostly works out and usually nothing worse than getting blocked by the CC company happens, but still, it’s unsettling to me.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What if you add a drug dealer or a pedophile as an AU and now LE starts looking into you?

What if the AU calls the card company and somehow manages to get a replacement card sent their way?

I’m sure it mostly works out and usually nothing worse than getting blocked by the CC company happens, but still, it’s unsettling to me.

Pretty much this is why I stopped. I needed money at the time and was willing to take the risk.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wait so what kind of people
1) need a good credit history
2) are willing to pay for it
3) are not doing anything illegal

???

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If I were in college and broke it would be worth the risk.

But yeah, my concern would be the dude calling the credit card company, giving them the digits that show up on the credit report, and requesting that they mail him his card.

And then me being stuck with the bill from his shopping spree.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

???

Good natured idiots trusting "credit repair services"

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Hey what's going on in here...

:psyduck:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
2 years later - Chip and Sig has failed to improve credit card security in the US

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1061612725388877824

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Did you read the article? The problem is that some merchants don't yet accept EMV transactions.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Just got approved for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature. GF and I are already planning on taking a trip to Costa Rica with the Companion fare and bonus miles.

Also, I have good credit (800+) but I'm still surprised they approved me for $12,000 credit line.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Residency Evil posted:

???

People moving to America

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

???

Students?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's a fast way to repair credit. It's a way of just speeding things up really, or gaming the fico system.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Also, I have good credit (800+) but I'm still surprised they approved me for $12,000 credit line.

I haven't done business with BofA in about 15 years, but as you get more established, the credit lines get ridiculous. I'm not sure if they're one of the stingier banks to deal with or not.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

This is more common than some might think. A friend just sold his house to a young couple, mid-20's who both had just graduated within the previous few years and had gotten very lucrative Department of Defense contract positions, I think they were in the $150-200k/year salary per person. Neither of them had any credit whatsoever, but $300-400k/yr a year income cumulatively means plenty of extra income. I can definitely see people like that paying for a similar type service.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

This is more common than some might think. A friend just sold his house to a young couple, mid-20's who both had just graduated within the previous few years and had gotten very lucrative Department of Defense contract positions, I think they were in the $150-200k/year salary per person. Neither of them had any credit whatsoever, but $300-400k/yr a year income cumulatively means plenty of extra income. I can definitely see people like that paying for a similar type service.

What DoD contract pays $150-200k to mid-20s people? I’m not calling you a liar, just curious what the government is paying young people that much money for, aside from overthrowing other governments, gun running and assassinations

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I had a CSP which I've since downgraded to a Freedom a while back. Just want to confirm this does not count as an existing CSP "account" as far as another obtaining CSP bonus is concerned?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Untagged posted:

I had a CSP which I've since downgraded to a Freedom a while back. Just want to confirm this does not count as an existing CSP "account" as far as another obtaining CSP bonus is concerned?

There's a 48 month rule for all Sapphire products anyway. Has it been 4 years since you got the SUB for the CSP?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

Untagged posted:

You can't get another CSP bonus if you've received a CSR or CSP bonus in the last 48 months

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

What DoD contract pays $150-200k to mid-20s people? I’m not calling you a liar, just curious what the government is paying young people that much money for, aside from overthrowing other governments, gun running and assassinations

That's a good question and I have no idea.

Probably assassinations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

svenkatesh posted:

There's a 48 month rule for all Sapphire products anyway. Has it been 4 years since you got the SUB for the CSP?

It hasn't. Apparently I missed the change from 24 to 48 months.

hostile apostle posted:

You can't get another CSP bonus if you've received a CSR or CSP bonus in the last 48 months

This was going to be my next question, thanks for clarifying that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like Citi Doublecash now has a markedly citi referral program.

The referrer enrolls in the program by seeing the offer to refer folks, then opting in and sending a referral by e-mail. The referred person gets a bonus offer of $125 back on $625 spend in 3mo, which isn't as great as the recent $150 offer, but better than the usual $0-$100 offers. Offer ends 12/31/18.

Then, if the referrer spends $500 in the next 12-month period, the referrer will also get a $100 bonus per signup (though you can refer up to 20 people in that year, there is a limit of 5 referral awards in that time).

There's a similar system for the TY Premier, where the offer in that one is a 60k point bonus on $5k spend with waived AF; 10k points per signup to the referrer and it should have the same limits.

As a test, I referred one of my other e-mails. It took a few days to arrive, and it does reveal your full name to the referred party in the e-mail if that's something you're concerned about; you can probably get around that by referring yourself and then sending over the 'view in browser' link (only reveals your first name, shows the offer), or the apply link (doesn't reveal your personal info, but it also doesn't re-show the bonus info on the application page).

astral fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 13, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Do credit card offers get better around Black Friday?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

i noticed they changed rebranded the amex premier rewards gold to amex gold. can we still get the signing bonus on the amex gold if we got the prg signing bonus?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

i noticed they changed rebranded the amex premier rewards gold to amex gold. can we still get the signing bonus on the amex gold if we got the prg signing bonus?

To them, it's the same card, so no (unless you somehow find an offer without the lifetime language and are prepared for a fight).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, so I have a couple grand on a CC that I'm working down, but I want to balance transfer it to a card with 0% apr and 0% balancer xfer fee and work on it for the next few months.

The Chase slate seems to be the best option:

https://creditcards.chase.com/balance-transfer-credit-cards/chase-slate

Is there a referral link any goons have for this that I can apply through and get us all some cash?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

astral posted:

To them, it's the same card, so no (unless you somehow find an offer without the lifetime language and are prepared for a fight).

I've never had to fight when I applied through a targeted mailer from AmEx with no lifetime language. I've done it 3x so far:
- Gold Delta Personal
- Gold Delta Business
- BGR

YMMV, of course.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Heyo, so I have a couple grand on a CC that I'm working down, but I want to balance transfer it to a card with 0% apr and 0% balancer xfer fee and work on it for the next few months.

Is there a referral link any goons have for this that I can apply through and get us all some cash?

I don't think the Slate has one; it's not listed at https://creditcards.chase.com/refer-a-friend either.

In fact, it looks like they've even stopped referrals for the regular Freedom.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I would love a card like this, but I need one that isn't Chase as I am waaaaaaay over 5/24! I'll take a referral link for a non-chase 0% apr 0% transfer fee card.

Thanks!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

VorpalBunny posted:

I would love a card like this, but I need one that isn't Chase as I am waaaaaaay over 5/24! I'll take a referral link for a non-chase 0% apr 0% transfer fee card.

Thanks!

Discover it has 0% ARP on transfers for 14 months, 3% fee.

https://refer.discover.com/s/4brcu

$50 ref bonus for both of us.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Thanks!

Barclays had the Ring card for this, I’m unsure if they still do and I did a cash rewards one with BofA. They both had 0 fee, 0%APR, but I don’t think they have referrals

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
Kind of pissed off at Bank of America.

They sent me a few mailers about how they upped the sign up reward for their Cash Rewards Credit Card to a $200 reward for $500 spend, I apply online, and they reject my application stating I've opened too many credit card accounts recently (3 this year) and that I don't have enough BofA accounts (because I have 0 BofA accounts).

Why market your card to me if you're not going to give it to me?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Riders of Brohan posted:

Kind of pissed off at Bank of America.

They sent me a few mailers about how they upped the sign up reward for their Cash Rewards Credit Card to a $200 reward for $500 spend, I apply online, and they reject my application stating I've opened too many credit card accounts recently (3 this year) and that I don't have enough BofA accounts (because I have 0 BofA accounts).

Why market your card to me if you're not going to give it to me?

This but it was an OFFER JUST FOR YOU on their banking website when I was logged in with a specific APR shown. I was pretty annoyed; hadn't applied for any new cards in months so it's not like my credit situation would have changed since their soft pull for that.

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011

astral posted:

This but it was an OFFER JUST FOR YOU on their banking website when I was logged in with a specific APR shown. I was pretty annoyed; hadn't applied for any new cards in months so it's not like my credit situation would have changed since their soft pull for that.

So is this just an issue with BofA, or do the other major banks also regularly screw up their own offers?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Cacafuego posted:

Barclays had the Ring card for this, I’m unsure if they still do and I did a cash rewards one with BofA. They both had 0 fee, 0%APR, but I don’t think they have referrals

Thanks! I applied for the Ring card (which actually has a 2% transfer fee but that's a steal!) and was given the dreaded "We'll let you know" response. Man, missing one payment on a different card due to forgetfulness really hosed me over! I saw my credit rating drop about 50 points from that, and now I'm slowly climbing back up.

Pay your bills on time, kids!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Riders of Brohan posted:

So is this just an issue with BofA, or do the other major banks also regularly screw up their own offers?

It's very common. I used to work closely with a bank in the "offer-sending" sort of department. The marketing and underwriting/risk teams deliberately don't talk to each other so that there's no conflict of interest when assigning risk values.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

Thanks! I applied for the Ring card (which actually has a 2% transfer fee but that's a steal!) and was given the dreaded "We'll let you know" response. Man, missing one payment on a different card due to forgetfulness really hosed me over! I saw my credit rating drop about 50 points from that, and now I'm slowly climbing back up.

Pay your bills on time, kids!

A good reminder that with most banks, people can set up alerts when the statement is ready, reminders if the statement hasn't been paid as it approaches the due date, as well as alerts for when they receive your payment (helpful for peace of mind if you are doing pushes from your bank rather than pulls on the CC bank's website).

Basically, my advice is to enable any alert that seems interesting. Get an e-mail with every transaction? Why not! Spot any fraud in seconds, even if the bank doesn't.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Some Googling tells me that the Uber Visa card doesn't have a referral bonus, but just in case I'm wrong, if anyone has one and wants to refer me, hit me up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Some Googling tells me that the Uber Visa card doesn't have a referral bonus, but just in case I'm wrong, if anyone has one and wants to refer me, hit me up.

I have the card, but I don't see any referral information on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the card, but I don't see any referral information on the site.

Yeah, I figured as much since Google wasn't showing endless reddit referral threads. Thanks!