Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is an amazing ultimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Invalid Validation posted:

I like that game but it’s pay to win horseshit at its finest.

It's really a shame too, the art style is pretty decent and the roster is pretty deep, but I'm never gonna touch it uless it gets ported to consoles.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Tommy WAS lame, but all the heroes he morphed into were very cool. That's a big part of the appeal. Even if you are an awkward shy dude who has trouble interacting with anyone, you could still be a cool badass.

Like Billy is the "smart" nerd, but Tommy is incredibly awkward. He has the soul (and performance) of a child.

A good example is the episode with goony bird eggs. Tommy is doing a talent show with Jason, doing Karate of course, and he flips out he forgot his belt. Everyone tells him they don't need it but he's like "Aww man no we gotta have the belt!" And later you see him running back psyching himself up saying "Yeah this is gonna be awesome!" and then spin kick a tree branch for about no reason.

He's a complete dork and that's the appeal.

In one of my favorite episodes, Tommy isn't with the rest of the group doing a thing because he has "karate practice", according to one of the teens. Later, when things are at their worst, we see what Tommy thinks karate practice is.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Lizard Wizard posted:

In one of my favorite episodes, Tommy isn't with the rest of the group doing a thing because he has "karate practice", according to one of the teens. Later, when things are at their worst, we see what Tommy thinks karate practice is.

So they set up a camera in JDF's backyard and just took some footage from it to fill in the show?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Still an awesome zord.
Huh, I forgot that Zack took the controls in that setup.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Still an awesome zord.
Huh, I forgot that Zack took the controls in that setup.

The show never used it as such, but it's kind of the IDEAL Zord to use when you have a pitched land fight AND giant monster poo poo.

Three Rangers can take on the ground forces, three can take on the giant monster.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like this is the kind of thing as a writer I still adore about MMPR, even more than ZyuRanger

because a lot of this stuff is in ZyuRanger, but it's more defined. The core story of the characters is more defined. MMPR is like a heap of raw iron, ready to be forged into any number of things.

The characters are templates, archetypes that each have their own niche and could be expanded on any number of ways. The villains are broad and interesting with a lot of room for variance and building on

The powers are defined enough but not so that they are inflexible. The Zords offer logical ways to work them into things that don't need a giant monster, or even easily work around stories where the big conflict is more complex than just a big monster.

You can have your big world ending giant fight, and then settle into a more personal, dramatic one on one confrontation.

This is the reason I think it's easier to make a comic series or a new adaptation specifically based on MMPR, because once you go into the later seasons you have HARD defined characters or very specific villains or far more rigid rules to work around.

In a lot of ways it's kind of like G1 Transformers. Trying to bring back the Beast Wars era guys means that you have to do justice to loving DinoBot and his complex multilayered entire thing, or deal with fan favorites who ARE favorites entirely because of what character they were. People would be pissed if you took Rhinox and made him a big dumb idiot

But you can gently caress around with the G1 Transformers WAY more because, while they had characters, they were not the best defined things around. Just stick to the broad strokes and then make it your own.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To illustrate Burkions point along with some of what great about Tommy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqF2-ovH5hz/

You could paste almost any two characters into this conflict and it would rule. Check out this loving twenty foot high jump

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Burkion posted:

People would be pissed if you took Rhinox and made him a big dumb idiot

That is one of the least offensive things about Beast Machines.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tankorr was a very petty way for Megatron to gently caress over Rhinox, it was good.

Scheming villainous Rhinox, however...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of Beast Machines plays like the writers had had a 7 year old who'd just drunk a WHOLE lot of Sunny D explain the plot and characters of Beast Wars to them, and no other context. It has Cheetor being the coolest Maximal, has Rattrap being an actual coward instead of a pessimist, flips the Blackarachnia/Silverbolt dynamic in a way that completely neuters the former's character by making her the pining damsel... and yeah, Rhinox's whole shitshow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know the show explains that away as, what, Megatron loving with them as he builds his super society?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of Beast Machines plays like the writers had had a 7 year old who'd just drunk a WHOLE lot of Sunny D explain the plot and characters of Beast Wars to them, and no other context. It has Cheetor being the coolest Maximal, has Rattrap being an actual coward instead of a pessimist, flips the Blackarachnia/Silverbolt dynamic in a way that completely neuters the former's character by making her the pining damsel... and yeah, Rhinox's whole shitshow.

In hindsight, it feels obvious that Hasbro didn't want the guys behind Beast Machines to watch Beast Wars because that certainly shows.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FilthyImp posted:

I know the show explains that away as, what, Megatron loving with them as he builds his super society?

There was an episode of Beast Wars where Megatron said to himself "Man Rhinox is awesome, I wish he was on our side... let's inject him with a virus and make him evil!" Rhinox then beat the poo poo out of all the predacons and nearly killed them all, so Megatron had to deprogram him to save his own rear end.

Then he decided to do it a second time in Beast Machines but give him an even bigger gun.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Didn't the management actually tell the Beast Machines writer not to watch Beast Wars?

And really, Cheetor stepping up to take charge when no one else could is about the only character bit in Beast Machines that remotely makes sense, even if accidentally - all of Beast Wars is him growing up and learning about responsibility. However, it didn't need to happen by turning pragmatist and scientist Primal into a crazed hermit.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 13, 2018

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was always too upset about what they did to Rattrap to really notice the other character changes. Aside from Primal becoming a total lame rear end hippy that is.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Too bad Tigatron died, he'd have loved beast machines.

Then again his character probably would have been hideously mangled in the process like everyone else.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tigatron the Battle-Crazed War-Monger.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Airrazor the femme fatale playing both sides against the middle.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I went to RangerStop last weekend in Orlando. Pretty neat little convention. Went way over budget because I didn't realize Boom! was going to have every variant issue available so I snagged a green MMPR #0, and there was a photo op I found out about the day before the convention with Austin, Steve, and Yuuta that I didn't want to pass up on. Got some good autographs and pictures, bought some merch here and there, and got to play test the board game a few times which makes me excited for when it finally ships next summer, and saw some cool panels. Overall, good convention experience, would recommend!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Power Rangers Lightning Collection's first wave has been leaked. The figures will be:

Mighty Morphin White Ranger
Mighty Morphin Pink Ranger
Dino Charge Red Ranger
Lost Galaxy Magna Defender
Lord Zedd
SPD Shadow Ranger
Beast Morphers Red Ranger
Beast Morphers Gold Ranger

I imagine MD's alternate head will be Mike, even if Magna Defender never had a shot with his helmet removed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good choices I think.

If they had Ninja Storm Green it would be perfect

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Can’t believe we’re already getting Beast Morphers spoilers from the toys

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Sentai came out years ago and the cast was already announced though

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I was mostly joking, but I didn’t realize gold and silver had been publicly cast

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh maybe they haven't

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh maybe they haven't

They probably haven't. But considering how far in advance we got the cast for the first three rangers, they might have done it already.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God Lord Zedd

That's going to be an ugly, wonderful figure

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

finally, an accurate, sculpted zedd figure with actual articulation

but the real star of this wave is gonna be Cruger

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm

Kind of terrified of what Lord Zedd will look like. His design is, uh, very toy-unfriendly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vac man

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Shadow ranger is a must buy for me. Here's hoping Hasbro does a better job with the female form than the abominations that Bandai came up with.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sockser posted:

I was mostly joking, but I didn’t realize gold and silver had been publicly cast

They have not, but the suits and ‘zords’ have appeared in the first trailer

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I wish the wave had Super Megaforce Gokai Red and Dino Charge Blue since Gokai red is amazing and both Dino Charge Blue and Kyoryu Blue own.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want Christmas Special Dino Charge & Ninja Steel Blus

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

A redditor scanned the illustation for the Power Rangers article in Entertainment Weekly.

:syoon:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

LizWiz where’s my fuckin power rangers abridged

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Lizwiz where’s my fuckin power rangers abridged

Sorry. I'm adjusting to having weed for the first time in monthslife stuff and really need to just do the thing. Unfortunately I'm going down to visit family for Thanksgiving and won't have access to my DVDs until Sunday.

Still got my laptop, though, so we'll see what I can do!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PowerRangerTalk/status/1063622119811104768

So

Uh- which UltraZord and how are they going to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Probably a build-a-figure.

But I can't imagine it's the MMPR Ultrazord. That'd take too many pieces.

The only ones I can see them being able to break apart across an entire wave is the Drive Max Ultrazord, the RPM Ultrazord, the Ultimate Legendary Megazord, and Dino Charge Ultrazord.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 26, 2018