Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Lmfao, but no Resident Evil 5 didn’t exist in 2001.

But that said I’m morbidly curious of a Monster Hunter movie that dispenses with the monster cosplay. Like if they’ll hem closer to the source material that’s just a creative choice.

e: Resident Evil 2 was noir with zombies, it’s tied with RE4 as the games I like. But I think a lot of that is how the interesting parts are how RE1’s mansion just becomes the game design of showing that Chief Irons’ bougie art is what has infected the police station.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

a few of the early games

That game came out 7 years after the first film.

But also I have no dog in this fight, just offering up an alternate reason why nerds might be dismissive of this particular series other than the most extreme one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All the Resident Evil games had female protagonists up until 4, which I think all came out before the movie did. They had male protagonists too, but I always viewed them as secondary to the females. Jill was the face of RE1 and 3. I wasn't online much at the time of the first RE movie coming out, but I can see how people were annoyed not because a woman was the protagonist, but why not Jill, Claire, or Rebecca? Why make an original character when they had plenty of good ones too choose from? The movie came out forever ago and has a ton of sequels so it's a moot point these days.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Corrosion posted:

But that said I’m morbidly curious of a Monster Hunter movie that dispenses with the monster cosplay. Like if they’ll hem closer to the source material that’s just a creative choice.

The plot synopsis says that the troops go to the Monster Hunter universe and learn how to use Monster Hunter weapons. So I imagine there'll be some action sequence where Jovovich's troop clothes get messed up, and then she'll switch to something like Kirin armor

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

feedmyleg posted:

A strange dystopian cyberpunk version of a cutsey kids story where the adorable creatures are depicted as high-fidelity, slightly creepy monsters? Nah, that'd never work for Pokem—

...oh.

I am irrationally excited for this horrible movie.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Wait wait wait wait wait. That detective pikachu trailer is real? For a movie that's actually being made?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yes.

It stars actor Ryan Reynolds.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

As Detective Pikachu.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks loving awesome

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The plot synopsis says that the troops go to the Monster Hunter universe and learn how to use Monster Hunter weapons. So I imagine there'll be some action sequence where Jovovich's troop clothes get messed up, and then she'll switch to something like Kirin armor

I’ll hold out for a mixed set with Kushala Daora Alpha helmet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Yes.

It stars actor Ryan Reynolds.

I'm sold

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The plot synopsis says that the troops go to the Monster Hunter universe and learn how to use Monster Hunter weapons.

I can't wait to see a bunch of troops flinching each other with their longswords.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

Well you're obviously a misogynist.

But seriously, that was my take-away. I'm sure they're fun movies, but when I was told there would be a Resident Evil movie, I was expecting spooky houses full of traps and zombies. Not Milla Jovovich being an action star. That's cool, I like Milla, but it just wasn't what I was interested in. But I also brush off pretty much every video game movie after watching the ostrich races in Prince of Persia.

the way the Resident Evil movies and games have fed off each other is kind of funny, honestly, because after RE4 they're really not that tonally different from each other. it's just that instead of Milla you have the protagonists from the first 3 games getting reworked into action heroes and a few action-hero OCs. and then starting with Afterlife the movies pivot from Hollywood action silliness to being a little closer to RE4-6 stylistically and almost having a Ryuhei Kitamura vibe.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Resident Evil games have always been about the aesthetic of amateur b-movies adapted to video games. Nerds assumed that the genuinely scary parts of the game were the main content and that stuff like “Jill sandwich” were just accidental flukes, because they’re operating off of a cynical worldview that b-movies can’t be genuinely scary.

It makes perfect sense for a franchise dedicated to cheese to eventually turn to action, and it produced two of the best games of the franchise as a result, but the move away from horror was seen as a betrayal instead of a natural evolution and now Capcom is scrambling to figure out what to do with the series. They gave the nerds exactly what they wanted in the form of a main series RE game exclusively dedicated to horror, and it completely bombed. The tale of nerds clamoring for something and then not showing up when it’s actually released is a tale as old as time, but it’s still pretty funny when it happens.

As for the movies, they’re responsible for creating the greatest moment in the franchise in the form of the sunglasses throw, I can’t bear any ill will towards them.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Now do Joe Pesci.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Mikami was playing off Kamiya’s contributions on Resident Evil 2 and while the games were always action based, the emphasis on gallery shooting rose with Resident Evil 4. The thing is people are acting like it’s a mystery as to what would make the games tense and really it went from resource management to the aforementioned dynamic shooting gallery.

Shinji Mikami’s last few games really emphasize shooting and it wasn’t really until Evil Within where he reeled back shooting as the dominant gameplay loop/decision. Which is to say that yes the b-movie stuff is well and good, but it isn’t as if the series wasn’t always slowly shuttering more and more toward action vs strategic gameplay.

Like I don’t think the series ever moved away from horror, it’s that the anxieties covered are absolutely hilarious as the series progresses. Weaker in Resident Evil 5 is stupid overpopulation, white supremacy master race poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

Nerds assumed that the genuinely scary parts of the game were the main content and that stuff like “Jill sandwich” were just accidental flukes, because they’re operating off of a cynical worldview that b-movies can’t be genuinely scary.

er... that's not an assumption, the voice cast themselves have gone on record and talked about it.

e: unfortunately the video linked in that article has seemingly vanished, but the gist is in the text: the ADR directors were hilariously incompetent and largely not native English speakers. lines like "you were almost a Jill sandwich!" were almost certainly intended to be a little funny, but incompetent voice direction is what launched it to undying meme levels.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 13, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I don’t think “SWAT team gets owned in mansion by corporate conspiracy” is going to be less funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pirate Jet posted:

They gave the nerds exactly what they wanted in the form of a main series RE game exclusively dedicated to horror, and it completely bombed.

Are you talking about RE7 because everyone liked that game and it owns super hard :confused:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Are you talking about RE7 because everyone liked that game and it owns super hard :confused:

also yeah uh what RE7 didn't bomb at all :psyduck: it's Capcom's fifth best selling game of all time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sinema won AZ. Eat poo poo, Trump.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

YTOTD: The Fresh Lobster (1928, unknown)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XXLqPkOPQ

I wonder if John Waters saw this before making Multiple Maniacs

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I was gonna watch this sleazy-lookin' movie called 14 Cameras, but then I found out it was a "spin-off" of the screenwriter's previous film 13 Cameras that he wrote and directed, so now I'm watching that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Dumbass people already saying they don’t like Ryan Reynolds voicing Pikachu because his voice is too deep and doesn’t fit the character :thejoke:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Movie day: The Great Buster works as a fine primer on Keaton's career and makes want to look up all his commercial & television appearances, The Railrodder (which I think was a YTOTD), and Buster Rides Again. Good on Bogdanovich for constructing the film such that it ends with the material Buster would be most remembered for. Got to rewatch First Man in IMAX, which led to a reappraisal and new appreciation for Hurwitz's soundtrack. Also briefly looked over this fascinating Artist Soldiers exhibit, which were comprised of these photos of drawings and carvings into cave walls made by WWI infantry as an artistic manifestation of their individuality & feelings.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alternate universe where everything is the same but Jim Varney starred in The Mask

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pokémon is the second highest-selling game franchise, only Mario beats it out. Honestly, I’m surprised no one tried to make a live action Pokémon film before, it seems like a slam dunk.

Pokemon doesn't really have a story that lends itself inherently to movies. the story it tells is much more conducive to a Shonen anime because it's basically about a never-ending journey to be the best, and the movie where they actually tried to squeeze an entire hero's journey of Pokemon into 100 minutes (the Pikachu! I Choose You movie from last year) relies heavily on previous knowledge of the show and is still very choppy. This is gonna work because it's not a Pokemon story, it's a detective story/buddy cop movie that just happens to feature Pokemon. And so, when it makes all of the money in the world (which I will help it do by going to see it about 30 times in theaters) it would not surprise me to see Legendary sending a call to every writer in Hollywood to send them a Pokemon idea, no limits other than 10 year olds should be allowed to see it.

I'm gonna be honest, i had an incredibly surprising reaction to that trailer. I watched it on a phone at work and nostalgia hit me harder than it's ever hit me before. Like I try to watch movies for what they are and not let feelings for source material get in the way too much but I saw a real actual person interacting with a Pikachu and all of my rationality went out the window. Even with other nerd poo poo like the new Star Wars movie or any of the Marvel/DC movies I've enjoyed the trailers and been excited for the trailers but i felt like a 7 year old again watching a trailer about Ryan Reynolds as an electric rat because more than anything else, Pokemon is my thing. I have played the games since I was 7, I played "Pokemon Trainer" with my friends and cousins, I have a stuffed Marrill that I got so long ago I thought it was called Pikablu, I had birthday parties for years that were Pokemon themed, my entire elementary school friend group bonded through Pokemon, and even now, in my mid-to-late 20s I am still 4 days away from getting yet another Pokemon game in the mail. What CP said about not even knowing that I wanted it is correct; i knew this was a thing that was happening but I kinda assumed when it did happen it would be something pander-y and silly and a little childish but then the trailer came out and it looks basically like I imagined Pokemon in real life would look since I was 10 and that triggered something deep within my soul. I feel like if a Marrill shows up in that movie I might just melt into a puddle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there's a cute scrappy Eevee that takes no crap in Detective Pikachu I may die of :3:

Also if there's an oddish

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I have no idea if any of these names are genuine and I never will

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pokemon I noticed in that trailer:
Pikachu
Psyduck
Charizard
Greninja
Mr. Mime
Rufflet
Dodrio
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
Bulbasaur
Morelull
Charmander
Emolga

plus a bunch flying in the sky in the first few seconds

edit:
also Venusaur, Audino and Voltik in the marketplace

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 13, 2018

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Egbert Souse posted:

YTOTD: The Fresh Lobster (1928, unknown)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XXLqPkOPQ

I wonder if John Waters saw this before making Multiple Maniacs

Holy poo poo this rules.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

I have no idea if any of these names are genuine and I never will

"Dig, what makes you cool is the media you DON'T consume"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

"Dig, what makes you cool is the media you DON'T consume"

It's not bragging, it's admitting that there are so many Pokémon, at least 200 by now, that anything could or could not be a Pokémon name and I'm absolutely unable to distinguish. It has permanently gone over my head.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

there are so many Pokémon, at least 200 by now

hahaha oh man

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I get where he's coming from, anything after the third generation is pretty much alien to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Power of Pecota posted:

I get where he's coming from, anything after the third generation is pretty much alien to me.

Gen 1 and 2 had alien pokemon too :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just saw Batman Mask of the Phantasm in theaters. It still holds up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I walked by it when I saw overlord again.

Overlord is a blue balls movie. Don’t say this is a JJ Abrams. He’s always left me smiling and satisfied.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t say this is a JJ Abrams. He’s always left me smiling and satisfied.

This is the kind of review I imagine someone making about a prostitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shoulda saw Batman. Where else are you going get Abe Vigoda and Efram Zimbalist Jr. in the same movie?