Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
While true, the prisoner and Sable crimes all pop up at like the last 10% of the game when you’re trying to wrap up the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Coming back to report that apparently summoning bears to kill 10+ men is a totally silent activity, hahaha. I cleared an outpost without doing anything but throwing bait!

...and then the bears attacked the Golden Path dudes when they arrived, and I could hear them screaming in the distance about it. I love this dumb game. :allears:

The enemies are far too proud to raise the alarm when a bear strolls in to maul everyone and are also not smart enough to realize there's chunks of tasty meat being tossed everywhere. Similarly, caged animals can be freed totally silently. Even shooting an arrow anywhere near the door will break it open and generally not get you noticed like missing a normal arrow shot does.

The only downside of the bait bag is that what animal you get varies a bit by location, and sometimes you get stuck with an outpost where all you can summon is one wild dog that gets instantly spotted and killed every single time.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Ys 8 is an awesome game and it's easily the best in the "group Ys" trilogy but (and I can't believe I'm saying this about an Ys game) its plot is bloated as hell. Dana's parts seemed like an afterthought more than a good arc and the game really drags in the last chapter. Falcom used to be really good at this, wonder what happened. The gameplay also becomes a bit stale at that point since you're getting a really long boss/miniboss gauntlet with all the bosses having huge amounts of health. At that point it's not even about good dodging but firing all the special moves as fast as possible and guzzling health potions.

tl;dr Ys 8 has 6 chapters and its best bits end by ch 5.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys: Memories of Celceta didn't even have an ending, it just stopped.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Spider-man was a step in the right direction. Extremely easy to Plat, the collectibles all have some sort of significance to Peter - and add to a lot of the lore of this universe - and they get added in slowly, so you don't begin the game and immediately have a map full of icons. There are the unfortunate Challenges that are a pain in the rear end, but aside from that it is a very compact game while still being open-world.

I've gotta disagree there; my eyes just glazed over every time I looked at the incredible sprawl of icons all over the map, since it felt exactly like the same stale open-world design that I'm tired of. I pretty quickly decided that I was going to entirely ignore that aspect of the game, which turned out to be completely fine because none of the junk it gets you is necessary for the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

I personally hate the Crimes. There are 20 in each area, released 5 at a time, until the last two appear all at once, and you need to wait for them to spawn in.

The crimes were actually the one thing in the open world that I liked! I'd be on my way to a mission and a call would come in on the police scanner that there was a car chase going on, and I'd do the Spider-man thing and swing down to save the day. It felt organic and immersive in a way that the huge checklists of icons did not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm a tough sell on that kind of open world setup but I liked the way they structured it - I mean you can just turn off all the icons for challenges you don't like, so it's easy enough to ignore them all or pick out ones you like (pigeons). My gripe was basically the stealth missions, those can generally just go screw themselves (my second favorite thing bringing the game down, I guess, after the MJ/Miles stuff).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that made the stealth missions so annoying was that they railroaded you into just one actual path through the level. So they weren't even real stealth missions.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There is one good stealth mission, where MJ and Peter tag team the Devils at Grand Central.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

There is one good stealth mission, where MJ and Peter tag team the Devils at Grand Central.

That one's good, but it's still so on rails I felt like I'd gotten the gist of it halfway through.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Eh, I felt like that level really shined a spotlight on how embarrassingly blind and deaf the enemy AI is during stealth. Lots of webbing up enemies plainly in sight of each other without them reacting in the slightest.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Far Cry 5 took a cool idea for a setting and did nothing interesting with it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Far Cry 5 took a cool idea for a setting and did nothing interesting with it.

They picked a setting where they realized they couldn't say anything actually political at all, without angering someone. So the whole thing is incredibly boring.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The thing is that even by saying nothing you're still saying something, and Far Cry 5's message is so confused that it fails to satisfy anyone.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I don't like how you get a bounty for doing basically anything in RDR2. If you kill a bandit holding you at gunpoint, you become wanted for murder because there WILL be a witness that saw you, no matter how far from town. Unless you also kill the witness - which is, you know, actually murder, but that's okay because everybody is dead now.

There have been several times where a story mission has ended and I'm surrounded by the bodies of whatever gang just tried to kill me, and I immediately get a bounty for like $300 because some random guy walked past and I didn't manage to get to my horse, chase him down and execute him. Basically, when a mission ends, you should get on your horse and run a mile away. Do not stop to loot any of the bodies, because you'll get a bounty that is far greater than the value of anything you pick up.

There's so much good stuff in this game let down by bad controls and stupid poo poo like the above :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't like how you get a bounty for doing basically anything in RDR2. If you kill a bandit holding you at gunpoint, you become wanted for murder because there WILL be a witness that saw you, no matter how far from town. Unless you also kill the witness - which is, you know, actually murder, but that's okay because everybody is dead now.

There have been several times where a story mission has ended and I'm surrounded by the bodies of whatever gang just tried to kill me, and I immediately get a bounty for like $300 because some random guy walked past and I didn't manage to get to my horse, chase him down and execute him. Basically, when a mission ends, you should get on your horse and run a mile away. Do not stop to loot any of the bodies, because you'll get a bounty that is far greater than the value of anything you pick up.

There's so much good stuff in this game let down by bad controls and stupid poo poo like the above :(

I’ve rescued people who then ran to the cops to report me for murder because I killed their captors.

RDR2 is one of the most infuriating games I’ve played in this console generation. It’s actually worse because it does a lot of stuff real well but to get to it I have to deal with so much terrible game design and weird poo poo like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They piled a bunch of systems onto RDR2 and it really seems like some of them are broken. Specifically the bodyweight stuff seems like it plain doesn't work. I've watched multiple videos of people trying to make Arthur fat and they get absolutely nowhere. While in my playthrough I've been pretty much constantly underweight since the opening of the game. I'm not eating a ton of food but I am eating stuff as required by my cores dropping.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I'm replaying back through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I just cannot loving stand the anti-aug people. Their arguments are so transparent and you never, ever get an opportunity to point out the terribly obvious.
I just wanted one, ONE dialogue choice that read something like:

Taggart: Augments are EVIL and UNNATURAL! They allow people to surpass their natural limits!
Adam: Like how your eyeglasses let you surpass your eye's lovely ability to focus at long distances? Or the pacemaker that helps regulate your heart? What about your suit, Taggart, why are you using evil technology to augment your skin's inability to thermoregulate in the chilly Detroit winter?
or
Taggart: Ugh, ugh, but augments make people into drug addicts! They need neuropozyne to survive!
Adam: Like how diabetics need insulin to survive...which makes them evil? Sounds like the real issue is a corporate monopoly on a lifesaving drug, not the augs themselves.
or
Taggart: Umm, ugh, but after getting augs some people GO CRAZY! Like Zeke Sanders!
Adam: So you think that his multiple tours in war zones, disfigurement, and other associated trauma had nothing to do with it? Sounds more like the issue is providing appropriate therapy for our veterans, as they deserve.

Instead the dialogue battle with Taggart just teases you with the potential and then never delivers. I've never had a dialog system blueball me so hard.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

LeJackal posted:

I'm replaying back through Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I just cannot loving stand the anti-aug people. Their arguments are so transparent and you never, ever get an opportunity to point out the terribly obvious.
I just wanted one, ONE dialogue choice that read something like:

Taggart: Augments are EVIL and UNNATURAL! They allow people to surpass their natural limits!
Adam: Like how your eyeglasses let you surpass your eye's lovely ability to focus at long distances? Or the pacemaker that helps regulate your heart? What about your suit, Taggart, why are you using evil technology to augment your skin's inability to thermoregulate in the chilly Detroit winter?
or
Taggart: Ugh, ugh, but augments make people into drug addicts! They need neuropozyne to survive!
Adam: Like how diabetics need insulin to survive...which makes them evil? Sounds like the real issue is a corporate monopoly on a lifesaving drug, not the augs themselves.
or
Taggart: Umm, ugh, but after getting augs some people GO CRAZY! Like Zeke Sanders!
Adam: So you think that his multiple tours in war zones, disfigurement, and other associated trauma had nothing to do with it? Sounds more like the issue is providing appropriate therapy for our veterans, as they deserve.

Instead the dialogue battle with Taggart just teases you with the potential and then never delivers. I've never had a dialog system blueball me so hard.

Yeah that wouldn't have worked as a potential argument anyway, Taggart doesn't argue or think that way and is in fact way better at it than Adam is. Plus, you're going into his conference, he's setting the tone and style of arguments.

He's a politician, you know full well that facts are at best suggestions for many of them at this point.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like how you enacted that one Hitler comic against a video game character though lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Two sequences into AC:Unity and I have no idea why the main character joined the Assassins at all.

It's not as bad as the modern day plot, which doesn't actually establish that (a) the Templars are bad, (b) that Abstergo is bad or (c) that the Assassins are good. It doesn't help that (so far) most of the sympathetic characters in the past have been Templar ones.

It only works if you know the metaplot already.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It's not like actual traffic behavior by humans isn't counterintuitive as hell either. Like how increasing capacity reliably increases congestion because then more people will think it's a good idea to commute that route by car. :shrug:

Hell, even assuming people are rational actors can result in incredibly counter intuitive results. Like how adding a shortcut to a network can increase overall congestion!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braess%27s_paradox

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Two sequences into AC:Unity and I have no idea why the main character joined the Assassins at all.

It's not as bad as the modern day plot, which doesn't actually establish that (a) the Templars are bad, (b) that Abstergo is bad or (c) that the Assassins are good. It doesn't help that (so far) most of the sympathetic characters in the past have been Templar ones.

It only works if you know the metaplot already.

Unity was launched in pair with AC: Rogue, which emphasized the idea that both sides are equally terrible if given free reign. The assassins vs. templars basically boils down to a pissing contest between two shadow organizations trying to seize precursor artifacts to destroy the other one, and overtake the world (also something something stop the sun from collapsing and stuff).

I think that this actually improves the overall story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've played all the main line AC games before this (and finished Rogue a few weeks ago) so I know what's going on in the overall plot, it's just that Unity is loving terrible at communicating it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Crimes are just stuff you do at your own leisure, while you're on the way to something else.

also this should be a thread title, somewhere

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Unity was launched in pair with AC: Rogue, which emphasized the idea that both sides are equally terrible if given free reign. The assassins vs. templars basically boils down to a pissing contest between two shadow organizations trying to seize precursor artifacts to destroy the other one, and overtake the world (also something something stop the sun from collapsing and stuff).

I think that this actually improves the overall story.

It's cool that Ubisoft's commitment to never making statements or picking sides has now extended to saying that the imaginary goodies and baddies of their fictional setting are just as bad as each other and the truth is somewhere in the middle lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Hell, even assuming people are rational actors can result in incredibly counter intuitive results. Like how adding a shortcut to a network can increase overall congestion!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braess%27s_paradox

Trafic planners are the real rocket scientists.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's cool that Ubisoft's commitment to never making statements or picking sides has now extended to saying that the imaginary goodies and baddies of their fictional setting are just as bad as each other and the truth is somewhere in the middle lol

That was part of the first AC game though, they've just been very inconsistent about it since then.

Unity's problem at the start is more about ill-defined motives and aims than equivocation. The Assassins hack into your game and tell you that you need to help them stop the Templars, who are trying to research ancient beings. Why is that bad? They don't say. Why should you trust them? They don't say.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Nov 14, 2018

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So really, traffic is just evil and what I should do is have severely powerful public transit options and ban all cars from my city. :hmmyes:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

So really, traffic is just evil and what I should do is have severely powerful public transit options and ban all cars from my city. :hmmyes:

Do it for the environment.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tbf this isn't unique to ubisoft, 'what if something simple we established at the start was actually wrong, whoa doesn't that change everything' feels like a common trope for long running 'universes' without any real long term plans as to where the people in charge want the story to go

i've seen it in comic books, i've seen it in gundam, i've probably seen it in half a dozen other mediocre nerd media

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kitfox88 posted:

Hey it works in SimCity 2000. Trains for everyone!

RyokoTK posted:

While true, the prisoner and Sable crimes all pop up at like the last 10% of the game when you’re trying to wrap up the main story.

I don't think I ever reached a point in the game where I was looking for crimes, they were always popping up when I was on my way to a story beat or collectible. Which is sort of fitting for Spider-Man's 'holy poo poo I can't do anything done in my real life because crime is everywhere and I have to clean it up constantly' lifestyle.

The only issue I had I think were certain areas that are off the beaten path, so to speak, where I never was long enough to have enough crimes spawn.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Brother Entropy posted:

tbf this isn't unique to ubisoft, 'what if something simple we established at the start was actually wrong, whoa doesn't that change everything' feels like a common trope for long running 'universes' without any real long term plans as to where the people in charge want the story to go

i've seen it in comic books, i've seen it in gundam, i've probably seen it in half a dozen other mediocre nerd media

i thought it worked with AC alright because this Templar/Assassin feud has been going so long with so many different people involved with all their different personalities and agendas that of course original intent would change over the centuries. Hell, it'd be weird to me if it didn't. That isn't to say Ubisoft handled it well... hell, I've only played 2 AC games so I'm not really highly informed on them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How does AC: Odyssey handle the whole Templar/Assassin thing? The Steam page doesn't even mention them, only your character.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Schubalts posted:

How does AC: Odyssey handle the whole Templar/Assassin thing? The Steam page doesn't even mention them, only your character.

Assassins guild doesn't exist until the end of Genesis. You do interact with the alien technology in Odyssey and the broken spear you use to stab people (no hidden blade yet) is part of that.
There is a creepy cult that is a predecessor to the Templars. I don't know enough about the lore, but it seems obvious that both the Cult in Odyssey (and the Order in Genesis) are linked to them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blood Sally posted:

i thought it worked with AC alright because this Templar/Assassin feud has been going so long with so many different people involved with all their different personalities and agendas that of course original intent would change over the centuries. Hell, it'd be weird to me if it didn't. That isn't to say Ubisoft handled it well... hell, I've only played 2 AC games so I'm not really highly informed on them.

it's not like it's unrealistic or implausible, just boring

really the big problem with the AC franchise's overall story is that it's immediately established that all of history is all about these two secret society groups... so neither of them can actually win for good cause then the story's over and they can't easily introduce new antagonist groups to liven things up. it's a very stifling setup for a long running franchise

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Schubalts posted:

Odyssey is the earliest setting AC has, and as such there are no Assassins or Templars. The focus is Athens vs Sparta. There's some mild precursor stuff but it's not too bad.

Odyssey might be my favorite of the series, better than AC2 or Black Flag.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mierenneuker posted:

Assassins guild doesn't exist until the end of Genesis. You do interact with the alien technology in Odyssey and the broken spear you use to stab people (no hidden blade yet) is part of that.
There is a creepy cult that is a predecessor to the Templars. I don't know enough about the lore, but it seems obvious that both the Cult in Odyssey (and the Order in Genesis) are linked to them.

The Cult in Odyssey seems like they're neither Templars nor Assassins, but the foundation for their competing philosophies of Order vs. Chaos that play out through the rise and fall of civilizations. But it's not really important either way, as the game wisely sidesteps the whole metaplot for 99% of its runtime and instead focuses on Kassandra gettin' swole and bustin' heads.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Schubalts posted:

The Cult of Kosmos is sort of proto-Templars, but the implication at the end of that storyline is that they weren't supposed to be. I'll spoil the rest of this.

The Isu (precursor race) was full mostly of racist idiot assholes who wanted to control the universe and possibly killed themselves doing it. Aletheia is a rebel Isu, sort of a proto-Assassin, who felt that the Isu's idea of total control is a terrible idea, because it would cause them to stagnate. However, she also believed that total chaos is just as bad, because then you start to backslide. She was an advocate of controlled chaos, if you will, to allow invention and progress, but without everything being endless war and death. She communicated this to early humans, and locked herself away in Atlantis (I think, that DLC isn't out yet).

The Cult of Kosmos gets founded at some point prior to Odyssey based on Aletheia's ideas and is initially intended to control the chaos. Let ingenuity flourish, but if something would take it too far or throw the balance out of whack too much, reign it in, but never go for total control. Some people decided they could just control everything instead, and managed to take over. They intend to start a forever war between Athens and Sparta and profit off of it. Destroying the Cult stops this for the most part, but a lot of damage has been done, and the war has to wind down on its own. You have a choice on what to do with the last Cult leader, and I chose death because of the actions that person took. They claimed to want the best for everyone, but they still participated in setting up the forever war, so gently caress 'em.

So, in summation, Templars and Assassins aren't in the Animus stuff, but the ideas they both represent definitely are. Also the future plot is extremely short and there are no forced bullshit bits like in Black Flag.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As someone who hasn't played any other Assassin's Creed games and doesn't know anything about the lore and stuff, I was glad the contemporary (or is it future) stuff so far has been like a 10 second cutscene at the start in which they mention a name I didn't recognize and could forget as soon as the actual game started.

Loving it so far. Maybe if it holds my attention long enough I'll try some of the other games as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I just found out they wrapped up the Juno plotline of Assassin's Creed (which was the main modern day bit at the very end of AC3 and all of AC4, Unity and Syndicate) in a loving comic.