Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lightning Knight posted:

Somebody post the gif of her talking about how much border wall and ICE funding she voted for as a positive.

I'll forgive more than I should for Democrats but being bad on immigration is the quickest way to get on my shitlist and Sinema is there imo.

I'm happy for +1 for Dem Senate control but I'm not gonna praise her.

I don't know enough about Sinema's record since I just moved to AZ about a year ago, but I'm willing to at least wait and see what she does now that she's in. A lot of Ds voted on that Wall bill because it would have been an enormous victory for the Dreamers if it had passed. The wall was a lovely price to hypothetically pay for that victory, but people in this very forum were willing to grit their teeth on it given what the final form looked like before Trump canned it. Making hay out of that to shut down an obvious line of attack that you're an OPEN BORDERS COMMIE is the kind of political lay-up anyone should envy, especially because McSally ran almost her entire campaign on CLOSING OUR BORDERS TO ILLEGALS AND DRUGZ. Seriously, her ads made it virtually her only issue, aside from super promising that she totally won't take away your health care and that Sinema hates Are Troops because she protested the Iraq War.

Also she openly stated she was a Vote No on Kav while the race was still in full swing and before McSally was willing to commit to her obvious Yes despite being a victim of sexual assault herself, so she's already better than Manchin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GreyjoyBastard posted:

calling that voter fraud rubs me the wrong way

it's illegal / shouldn't be counted based on florida law, but it's not inherently fraud on the part of the voters

it's arguably fraud on the part of the counters, but even then i'd rather not blur the lines

One Nigerian prince voted 200,000 times for Scott and DeSantis and various Republican candidates.

There's no evidence for this, but there's no non-evidence.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

^ filibuster should've been killed in 2008, they would've gotten so much more done.

100% for sure in hindsight but I think there were reasonable objections given how things were at the time. It's clear now that there would be no real electoral consequences, but I don't think it was back then.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sanguinia posted:

Also she openly stated she was a Vote No on Kav while the race was still in full swing and before McSally was willing to commit to her obvious Yes despite being a victim of sexual assault herself, so she's already better than Manchin

Being better than Joe Manchin is the literal lowest possible bar to clear for a Democrat.

Also sorry, but I'm just not going to give her a pass for that. I didn't like it when the Dreamers thing was happening either. It's just something I feel really strongly about, my family has lived in fear since Donald Trump was elected that they'd try and deport my dad despite him being a legal citizen and I won't stand for Democrats dogwhistling on immigration. It's just flatly unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

drilldo squirt posted:

Does anyone else feel bad for McSally for only having from what I can see, an admittedly cool, dog to comfort her through something like that?

McSally said protesting the Iraq War made Sinema a traitor. She doesn't even deserve the dog unless she spends the next 6 months contemplating how badly she sold her soul bootlicking Trump only to get nothing for it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1062189037673422850

this is going to be a short fight, if any at all.

trump has been angry at nielsen since he appointed her because, despite her overseeing a nightmarish crackdown on the border and immigrant families, trump is incapable of being satisfied and has zero interest in learning the most basic facts of the us immigration system

anyone willing to accept the position of dhs secretary under trump would have to be amoral and insane so, of course, kris kobach is on the short list.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Nielsen is also a close ally of Kelly (his deputy at DHS and then at the White House) and he's fighting to keep her around.

I suspect if she goes it'll be a big step towards Kelly going too.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

zenguitarman posted:

Seeing posted that Trump didn't go to Arlington because marine one didn't want to fly in choppy weather... ummm, I would think that marine one is equipped to handle some chop, but is there anything to this

Marine One can certainly handle inclement weather but that doesn't change the fact that helicopters are inherently trying to kill their occupants by design and anything but sunny skies doesn't help

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1062182410421301248

As a history major who was able to shoot my way up to the top of the list for potential baristas at my local Starbucks, this cuts close to home. gently caress Scott Walker. Again.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

As a history major who was able to shoot my way up to the top of the list for potential baristas at my local Starbucks, this cuts close to home. gently caress Scott Walker. Again.

It's not like Republicans loving know any. They have no use for it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nielsen is also a close ally of Kelly (his deputy at DHS and then at the White House) and he's fighting to keep her around.

I suspect if she goes it'll be a big step towards Kelly going too.

for all the impact he has, kelly could be fired tomorrow and no one would notice for weeks

but, yeah, i expect him to be gone in the immediate future.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What could Trump be made at Neilsen about? I can't think of anything she's done to defy him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lightning Knight posted:

Being better than Joe Manchin is the literal lowest possible bar to clear for a Democrat.

Also sorry, but I'm just not going to give her a pass for that. I didn't like it when the Dreamers thing was happening either. It's just something I feel really strongly about, my family has lived in fear since Donald Trump was elected that they'd try and deport my dad despite him being a legal citizen and I won't stand for Democrats dogwhistling on immigration. It's just flatly unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

That's fair. I was 100% pissed about the bill too and felt utterly betrayed that any Dem would vote for the monument to white supremacism that was Trumps wall. But I read a lot of posts on this forum and eventually I was able to look past my disgust for the sake of the Dreamer's lives and future citizenship.

That said, I don't blame anyone who couldn't because that was me for like two full weeks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MadJackal posted:

Jesus ballsucking Christ, how can you look at a government with all three branches of government lead by a majority of Republicans and not appreciate for one goddamn second the value of minority checks on power?

You've literally spun the last vestiges of anti-fascist leverage into a ~decorum~ argument.

Dems are noted for holding firm in the face of republicans and not compromising their values at the drop of a hat, it's true

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

QuoProQuid posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1062189037673422850

this is going to be a short fight, if any at all.

trump has been angry at nielsen since he appointed her because, despite her overseeing a nightmarish crackdown on the border and immigrant families, trump is incapable of being satisfied and has zero interest in learning the most basic facts of the us immigration system

anyone willing to accept the position of dhs secretary under trump would have to be amoral and insane so, of course, kris kobach is on the short list.

she is a monster but my honest guess is she probably kept the most awful poo poo from going into place. least thats my hope. my guess is trump doesn't want immigration/border traversial from mexico period and screamed about closing the border and 20,000 troops on the border and etc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know enough about Sinema's record since I just moved to AZ about a year ago, but I'm willing to at least wait and see what she does now that she's in. A lot of Ds voted on that Wall bill because it would have been an enormous victory for the Dreamers if it had passed. The wall was a lovely price to hypothetically pay for that victory, but people in this very forum were willing to grit their teeth on it given what the final form looked like before Trump canned it. Making hay out of that to shut down an obvious line of attack that you're an OPEN BORDERS COMMIE is the kind of political lay-up anyone should envy, especially because McSally ran almost her entire campaign on CLOSING OUR BORDERS TO ILLEGALS AND DRUGZ. Seriously, her ads made it virtually her only issue, aside from super promising that she totally won't take away your health care and that Sinema hates Are Troops because she protested the Iraq War.

More people should run as open borders commies imo

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

How are u posted:

What could Trump be made at Neilsen about? I can't think of anything she's done to defy him.

Trump wants all the immigrants gone and doesn't understand that there's no big red button in DHS that suddenly stops anyone from entering the country.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Interweb posted:

Scott Walker sucks and what he did to the UW system is criminal.

UW-WHITEWATER WHAT UP?!?!

Don't feel bad. I'm a journalism major who has 17 years of retail experience.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sanguinia posted:

That's fair. I was 100% pissed about the bill too and felt utterly betrayed that any Dem would vote for the monument to white supremacism that was Trumps wall. But I read a lot of posts on this forum and eventually I was able to look past my disgust for the sake of the Dreamer's lives and future citizenship.

That said, I don't blame anyone who couldn't because that was me for like two full weeks.

That fucker would come down like the Berlin wall anyway. Election night 2020 people would rush to it with sledgehammers to take that fucker down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

QuoProQuid posted:

Trump wants all the immigrants gone and doesn't understand that there's no big red button in DHS that suddenly stops anyone from entering the country.

this. he probably wants national purges and tent camps in every state and city.

Mr Interweb posted:

as a just graduated history major who doesn't have a job, i am glad his career is loving done, yeah he will probably get some fox job or some poo poo. but he is probaly out of politics for a while.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm now imagining that there are specific White House aides whose entire job is to fetch things from the fridge because he can't be bothered to get up ever except for photo shoots and golfing.

You jest but... http://time.com/4758059/donald-trump-coke-nuclear-button/

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

If you look up history in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Scott Walker.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ague Proof posted:

If you look up history in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Scott Walker.

Someone should shop Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey with Walker and DeSantis.

"First they made history, now... they ARE history."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:psyduck: I can't imagine being this way. I would be embarrassed if I were the president to ask an aide to get me anything, let alone have a button for that express purpose.

Your Taint posted:

UW-WHITEWATER WHAT UP?!?!

:respek:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the nielsen thing is reflective of how trump views everyone in his cabinet. he fires sessions because sessions can’t unilaterally stop the mueller investigation. he fires tillerson because he can’t make questions about russia suddenly disappear.

trump has a profoundly childish understanding of how government functions and gets mad when he has to deal with sudden complexities, seeing them as signs of insubordination. as a result, his high profile cabinet members end up flailing around, implementing abhorrent policies that are in line with his destructive worldview but unable to deliver the instant gratification the president desperately desires

i suspect the only reason people like chao and perdue are still around is because trump has no idea what their departments do and has forgotten they exist

e: lot of words to say that the president is a loving moron

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 13, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

How are u posted:

He’s been pissy and yelling at her for awhile, probably because he thinks there’s not enough kids in cages.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Google Butt posted:

The chuds keep screaming about voter fraud, but are they citing anything specifically?

zenguitarman posted:

Seeing posted that Trump didn't go to Arlington because marine one didn't want to fly in choppy weather... ummm, I would think that marine one is equipped to handle some chop, but is there anything to this

Absolutely everyone who isn't a CHUD needs to view every claim made by this administration and its allies as a lie until conclusively proven otherwise.

They are not acting in good faith. They never were. They never will. They're loving lying to you, they know they're lying, and they don't give a poo poo that they're lying. Giving them one inch of plausibility on the lies only helps them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dems are noted for holding firm in the face of republicans and not compromising their values at the drop of a hat, it's true

over the last two years mcconnell has not exactly gotten a shitload done because the filibuster exists and he is unable/unwilling to abolish it

if it were 50-votes-required-for-all-legislation he would have gotten a lot more horrible things done

including probably a successful gutting of the ACA, which instead died at the eleventh hour because he only gets one reconciliation bill a year

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/kaitlynross1/status/1062195961114607616
https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1062145820349337600

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 13, 2018

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Absolutely everyone who isn't a CHUD needs to view every claim made by this administration and its allies as a lie until conclusively proven otherwise.

They are not acting in good faith. They never were. They never will. They're loving lying to you, they know they're lying, and they don't give a poo poo that they're lying. Giving them one inch of plausibility on the lies only helps them.

Lol no poo poo dude. I was asking because I don't follow the chud conspiracy world closely and I want to know what qanon poo poo they were referencing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

over the last two years mcconnell has not exactly gotten a shitload done because the filibuster exists and he is unable/unwilling to abolish it

if it were 50-votes-required-for-all-legislation he would have gotten a lot more horrible things done

including probably a successful gutting of the ACA, which instead died at the eleventh hour because he only gets one reconciliation bill a year

As opposed to the ACA itself which is an abomination partly because they compromised on it

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Google Butt posted:

The chuds keep screaming about voter fraud, but are they citing anything specifically?

Probably the vote totals keep changing from before (when votes were still in the process of being counted) because that’s literally what Strong Daddy has been tweeting about.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hard disagree. If he COULD get the votes then the filibuster would be gone. He was successful on one out of two reconciliation bills. That's all he used because it's all he could have achieved.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This seems important.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Squibbles posted:

Obviously he didn't want to cause a traffic disruption in DC either

https://twitter.com/ClaireBerlinski/status/1061906966216347649

I have a friend that is a reporter in Florida, and was posting on Facebook last year about how his frequent trips to Mar A Lago were creating some huge disruptions at the airport he flys into because you pretty much have to shut the whole place down every time he visits. Like people that own small airplanes that do flight lessons can't do them because they shut down the whole airport.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

It's not like Republicans loving know any. They have no use for it.

The American public education system teaches all the history kids need to know. History is the story of the proud and strong American nation being forged by mighty men with no flaws from the dictates of, presumably, god. As a land of opportunity, anyone not currently rich is lazy, class doesnt exist, and racism was solved in 1965, so racial inequality is their fault too. Also American imperialism has been nothing but good for the rest of the world. Its basically a factory for fascists

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lemming posted:

reconciliation bills.

Aw gently caress me the Senate reconciliation bill poo poo is gonna suck this time.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This seems important.

It is, but it might still not be enough for Abrams to force the runoff.

But the more people know about Kemp's bullshit, the better. I like to think...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

Hard disagree. If he COULD get the votes then the filibuster would be gone. He was successful on one out of two reconciliation bills. That's all he used because it's all he could have achieved.

I'm not 100% convinced that he has/had the votes to kill the filibuster even if he had the votes to pass [thing] without it. All it takes is two GOP Senators who want to keep it even if they like whatever he'd do without it and he's hamstrung.

It's not the only possible motivation for him leaving it alive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is it just me or does the name Young Kim invoke imagery of a lovely knock off of Lil' kim.