Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I just picked up Ares Project for a great deal on my store’s clearance rack. It is supposed to play like an RTS: players take turns laying cards behind their screens to build up their bases and military forces, then when someone plays an Attack card the screens come down and the forces are lined up for battle. Has anyone actually played this? I’m wondering if it’s any good or if there’s a reason after all I bought it for 75% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Is there a good way to do 3 player space alert? My family's been asking to play it again but there's only going to be three of us this Thanksgiving.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The worst submarine posted:

Is there a good way to do 3 player space alert? My family's been asking to play it again but there's only going to be three of us this Thanksgiving.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/90133/little-duckling-fan-expansion-space-alert is what I've used.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

For Goons in the Orlando area, I'm going to be driving through Orlando next week. Which of the CoolStuffInc stores is the best as far as board games are concerned? Are their prices in the store the same as online?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Maitland will have the biggest selection and same prices yeah. It's only a fraction of their online selection though. If you order a day in advance you can pick it up in store for free. Used to be able to pickup immediately when the warehouse was in the back but it just moved.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The worst submarine posted:

The simple answer is that you play with a neutral "Android" character. Pick a color, put that color's action board where everyone can see it. Everyone gets one additional card per phase. Anyone can play a card to the Android, but the android's board is "sticky:" as soon as a card is placed in a slot, it CANNOT be moved later.

It works fine, but it does reduce the difficulty by a bit.

The more complex answer is The Little Duckling fan expansion:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I just picked up Ares Project for a great deal on my store’s clearance rack. It is supposed to play like an RTS: players take turns laying cards behind their screens to build up their bases and military forces, then when someone plays an Attack card the screens come down and the forces are lined up for battle. Has anyone actually played this? I’m wondering if it’s any good or if there’s a reason after all I bought it for 75% off.

I bought it on sale, dragged myself through the rules, and sold it unplayed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So, many people in this thread hate Monopoly (quite rightly).

Now we've actual evidence that Monopoly hates you!

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/12/monopoly-for-millennials-r.html

I want to know what the execs at Hasbro were smoking when they approved this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zark the Damned posted:

So, many people in this thread hate Monopoly (quite rightly).

Now we've actual evidence that Monopoly hates you!

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/12/monopoly-for-millennials-r.html

I want to know what the execs at Hasbro were smoking when they approved this.

It's a gift that cranky boomers and Gen Xers can buy for their grandkids and laugh smugly about on Christmas morning

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Monopoly for Millennials should be replacing every real estate space with a menial job that pays minimum wage and when you pass Go you have to pay rent which increases each time you pass. The cards are expensive luxuries you can't afford like napkins and laundry detergent, so you discard them to save money which you absolutely need because rent keeps getting higher and higher.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Also a turn limit with disappearing properties for climate change.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Millenial Monopoly: the banker gets all the properties. The banker wins when the banker has collected all the money.

gently caress you you don't get to win.

Eat the loving banker.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The oldest player is designated the banker, gets the money anytime another player pays for something and gives change. If the banker is ever out of cash, they get a $40000 bailout from the box on their turn. The banker still plays the game as a normal player in all other respects though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Millenial Monopoly: the banker gets all the properties. The banker wins when the banker has collected all the money.

gently caress you you don't get to win.

Eat the loving banker.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fellis posted:

The oldest player is designated the banker, gets the money anytime another player pays for something and gives change. If the banker is ever out of cash, they get a $40000 bailout from the box on their turn. The banker still plays the game as a normal player in all other respects though.

The oldest player, when paying other players, may give Advice cards as cash instead (cannot be used as cash for any other purpose)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And the oldest player starts with 100x as much money as the next oldest, who starts with 100x as much as the next oldest, and so on.

gently caress you, you don't get to win.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The worst part of Millennial Monopoly is whenever you land on Free Tweeting and a bunch of random people you've never seen kick open your door and tell you that it's the individual people who are bad, and capitalism is good.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

The simple answer is that you play with a neutral "Android" character. Pick a color, put that color's action board where everyone can see it. Everyone gets one additional card per phase. Anyone can play a card to the Android, but the android's board is "sticky:" as soon as a card is placed in a slot, it CANNOT be moved later.

It works fine, but it does reduce the difficulty by a bit.

The more complex answer is The Little Duckling fan expansion:

Thanks both, little duckling looks neat! Will give it a shot :)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I was just gifted Lords of Waterdeep, and boy do I know you've got to get the custom meeples for it. Recommendation for meeples shipped to Australia? I know a lot of companies do it for this game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My advice: Spend that money on the expansion that makes it a solid game before blinging it.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

djfooboo posted:

My advice: Spend that money on the expansion that makes it a solid game before blinging it.

Speaking of which, its $10 cheaper than usual on Amazon currently.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got to try out Thunderstone Quest this evening, and while I feel it that it makes some improvements on the prior versions that I had played, it still suffers from a lot of problems inherent in deck-building games made by people who don't get why they are using that mechanism. There are still market-row elements, even within the shop, and there was no way to thin out your deck (it's possible there are cards in the set that we weren't playing with that would allow this, but I can't say for certain). I only won because of a lucky draw on the final "boss fight", and the entire thing just didn't feel very satisfying. Additionally, the inclusion of miniatures in the game didn't add anything to it, and as far as I could tell served no purpose (other than to likely sell a few extra copies on KS).

I'd play it over Legendary or Sentinels or a lot of other bad games, but it's not something that I'm particularly itching to try again.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

djfooboo posted:

Seconding this. The base set is probably my least favorite worker placement game, but I just played it recently with a bunch of expansions (the corruption one in particular fixes a bunch of what I didn't like about the game) and it was actually pretty fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The corruption mechanic is really neat. The only real problem with the expansion is that the corruption Lord is terrible and you should try and lose the card down the back of the couch.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The corruption mechanic is really neat. The only real problem with the expansion is that the corruption Lord is terrible and you should try and lose the card down the back of the couch.

The designer tried explaining it to me that the corruption lord is for "advanced players who want a challenge" but even that's bullshit because even under the most ideal conditions that will only happen 1 in 100 games, you're maxing out points at around 15 or so if I remember right. Not to mention that nowhere does it actually state that that lord is for experienced players, nor is there a way to guarantee that it won't end up in the hands of a newer player if your group is a mix.

You should also get rid of the card that makes you un-targetable, since there is no actual counter-play to it and it's basically an "I win" card if someone gets it early.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Also I'm still a little salty from a few years ago when I paid a slight premium at a con to play against said designer in a game of Waterdeep, with the winner getting to keep an autographed copy. He ended up giving up his seat to a kid that wanted to play. I'm *not* angry that he did that, as it was totally the right and cool thing to do, but I am angry because I wanted to beat him at his own broken-rear end game because I knew I loving could.

I wanted to do the same thing a few years later with the guy who designed Dead of Winter just to show him how bad his game was but that would have involved actually playing Dead of Winter again and that was just a bridge too far.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Big McHuge posted:

Also I'm still a little salty from a few years ago when I paid a slight premium at a con to play against said designer in a game of Waterdeep, with the winner getting to keep an autographed copy. He ended up giving up his seat to a kid that wanted to play. I'm *not* angry that he did that, as it was totally the right and cool thing to do, but I am angry because I wanted to beat him at his own broken-rear end game because I knew I loving could.

I wanted to do the same thing a few years later with the guy who designed Dead of Winter just to show him how bad his game was but that would have involved actually playing Dead of Winter again and that was just a bridge too far.

I thought people liked Dead of Winter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Having Lords deliberately meant for new players or for experienced players would be a good idea if it was explicitly implemented. You'd need to flesh out the roster a bit though.

Mugaaz posted:

People do, the Goon Hivemind does not.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Mugaaz posted:

There certainly are people who like DoW. Game's still horrible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

If either of these ever present themselves again I'll pay for your entry

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mugaaz posted:

Play John Company if you want a good DoW.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bottom Liner posted:

If either of these ever present themselves again I'll pay for your entry

I actually ended up winning the autographed copy of Lords, and the designer offered to hang out with us later on at the hotel bar, but I was fighting a cold that weekend. I might have taken him up on his offer to pick his brain some more, but the evening game I played was my first time playing Merchants and Marauders, which not only was taught by someone who barely knew how to play, but should really just be called "Play A Merchant loving Trust Me Because Starting As A Marauder Will Make You Literally Get Up And Take A Walk In Anger So You Don't Flip The Table" but I guess they maybe had trouble typesetting that to fit on the box.

Like, I have a pretty high tolerance for teaching styles and such, but if you're going to be teaching a game at a boardgame-specific Con that people are paying not only an entry fee for as well as paying a per/game fee for scheduled events, then you should know the rules well enough to teach as well as have enough time blocked off to play a whole game and not just the first half. I had another experience at the same Con a year or two later where I was accidentally resetting my coal production or something like that every turn in Nippon, and I was wondering how the hell people were building so much stuff until I paid attention to my GF's turn. I asked the guy running it for a clarification and he's like "oh wow you were resetting that? You're doing pretty good for such a huge handicap!" Thanks dumbass, you only watched me take my first few turns to make sure I was doing everything right but neglected to mention the glaring error I was making at the start of each one.

On the bright side we ended up getting Nippon for Christmas last year and I really enjoy it, and it's honestly not difficult to teach (easier than Panamax).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mugaaz posted:

A friend has it, about 2 years ago she hosted it for some other friends (I skipped, knowing what it was).

Without any prompting from me, the game is now referred to as Winter of poo poo and hasn't been played again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

What are guillotine cuts? Do you you have a link by chance of what I’d need? I know nothing about this.

Just remembered this. This is a good blog on the methods and usual tools you need for PNP:
https://kanga.nu/~claw/blog/posts/2017/08/20/founding-platforms/

You don't need an expensive laminator as the one shown (there should be cheap $20 amazon laminators) and you only need it if you plan to laminate tiles for games instead of pasting printed sheets onto chipboard or other games and using the rotary cutter. If you want to make normal-looking games, you'd need 3M adhesive spray and just stick the printed sheets on top of chipboard or an old board game. Old board games are vinyl wrapped and you can buy vinyl from craft stores but I don't think they're really necessary when you use chipboard.

Guillotine cutter can be used for cutting laminated sheets but I use a ruler and rotary cutter myself as shown there. You also don't need to buy a corner rounder unless you're really into punching corners out of 5000 wargames counters. A normal nail clipper will do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what a winning strategy looks like in DoW considering the game is so random.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

I don't know what a winning strategy looks like in DoW considering the game is so random.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

al-azad posted:

As I recall, if you are the secret traitor, you just play normal until you have back-to-back turns then you turbofuck the colony to win. If you are not the traitor, you hope that there isn't a traitor in your game.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’ve not played Dead of Winter, and I’m not sure I’ve played a game like it.

I remember spotting it when I was coming back into the hobby. It looked compelling, but when I watched a video of someone (the designers?) playing, it seemed far too fiddly. The theme and weight were wrong for my group, so I gave it a pass. I’m pleased to see the thread consensus confirming my choice. Still, anyone want to clarify what you didn’t like about it?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Fiddly should be banned as a word. Every review now uses it as some vague nonspecific term to say I don't like this game without articulating why as some weird way of attacking something while simultaneously having a perfect defense because your non specific point can never be refuted. Some people use it when a game is complicated, or has too many tokens/counters, or has a lot of turn steps, or requires ability of rubbing 2 brain cells together, or has too many models, etc, etc. The word no longer has any specific meaning other than "didn't like".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Still, anyone want to clarify what you didn’t like about it?

I haven't played it, but it's a traitor/survival game where you can lose stuff through dicerolls, your victory condition can be changed by the other people and the traitor's best option is to play really well until he can do enough damage in one move.