Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so Team Rocket's whole thing in Generation II was

1) harvesting Slowpoke Tails, which doesn't actually hurt them, causes them no disadvantage in the long term
2) making a local Gyarados even more bad rear end than they usually are and increasing tourism in the area
3) Taking over a building to make a collect call to their boss they're not even sure he got

Man.

Gen II's plot is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pokemon game plots make FF8 seem coherent and fair

I especially like how I was supposed to be surprised at who Gladio is related to

Anime hair rules apply

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gen 2 story is great because it's team rocket being idiots who are pining for giovanni to come back by doing petty bullshit to get his attention, and the player just gets to gently caress off and do their usual thing while bumping into them occasionally along the way to mess up their schemes. it was more natural than doing the usual pit stop to save the world right before fighting the elite four which came in later games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not really very interesting though, and it contributes to the overall feeling of Johto just being Kanto's suburb. They went to all this trouble of designing all these new admins for HGSS and there's nothing even remotely memorable about any of them besides Petrel and a lot of dumb theories about Arianna being Silver's mom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if pretty much every other story barring gen 1 wasn't just 'another rear end in a top hat wants to intentionally or unintentionally kill everyone using some really ill-planned bullshit' i would maybe agree

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, that's what villains tend to do. There's just no stakes in Gen II. Nothing Team Rocket does really threatens anyone with more than momentary convenience. There's no stuff like Team Rocket killing a Cubone or potentially getting their hands on a Pokemon that can capture all powerful creatures. They don't even threaten to stay in the radio tower or destroy it on their way out or anything. Their whole plot is based on the threat of their return... when they've ALREADY returned and all that would change is Giovanni MIGHT come back and lead this group of incompetent morons to keep doing the same exact same thing they're already doing.

There's not even any fun or memorable characters. The admins don't have any quirks. They have no zany schemes of their own. Petrel is fun but he's fun because he just regurgitates the same gag that was already in GSC and then vanishes. Lance, Arianna, and Archer are total ciphers who waste the effort put into making them distinct.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 13, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Detective Pikachu website has some interesting easter eggs

Mewtwo gang?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't been skipping through any dialogue in Ultra moon and I'm still extremely unclear on what the gently caress anyone's deal is especially team skull

Pokemon game plots man

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

precision posted:

I haven't been skipping through any dialogue in Ultra moon and I'm still extremely unclear on what the gently caress anyone's deal is especially team skull

Pokemon game plots man

Team Skull’s deal is they are the best

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Is this thread gonna be kosher for let's go eevee/pikachu? I'm not sure what there will be much to talk about other than ball throwing but just making sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what I could tell Team Skull has no master plan, they're just assholes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I hate Neo Team Rocket so much. It's not that their plan was bad, per se, they showed their competence and Giovanni was very close to rejoining them, but they were just so boring, and the remake didn't really change that, their Pokemon sucked, they got hit by the level curve really hard and you fight them in Mahogany and then the Radio Tower immediately after. Pokemon plots are very Saturday morning cartoon level, and that works pretty well when you have a fun villain to work off, like Ghetsis, Guzma, or ORAS Archie. Otherwise they're just kinda meh.

Consummate Professional posted:

Is this thread gonna be kosher for let's go eevee/pikachu? I'm not sure what there will be much to talk about other than ball throwing but just making sure.

Spoilers are already out and have been posted in this thread, so be wary of that, I won't stop it. I won't spoil the games in the OP in any way, but I'm not that interested in adding any info either. Feel free to tear the game apart if you dislike it that much, but don't be a dick and shut down anyone playing a cute, fun game.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A simpler story doesn't really mean much when it has no flavor or something memorable. Like. You can at least laugh at Team Flare and how stupid they are.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be fair there's not really much to spoil for Let's Go

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

A simpler story doesn't really mean much when it has no flavor or something memorable. Like. You can at least laugh at Team Flare and how stupid they are.

Team Flare aren't even funny bad, they're just the boring kind of bad.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Crosspeice posted:

Spoilers are already out and have been posted in this thread, so be wary of that, I won't stop it. I won't spoil the games in the OP in any way, but I'm not that interested in adding any info either. Feel free to tear the game apart if you dislike it that much, but don't be a dick and shut down anyone playing a cute, fun game.

Oh I preordered it with the pokeball on day one, I haven't played a remake of the original games since yellow I guess. I'm really stoked, I was mainly curious if this was the right thread.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Team Flare aren't even funny bad, they're just the boring kind of bad.

But with a badass fight theme, especially the Lysandre version. I kinda wish it played for Malva as well, that would be a nice touch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Team Flare does stupid poses and are obsessed with fashion and look ridiculous.

What the heck does Proton have going for him?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Team Flare does stupid poses and are obsessed with fashion and look ridiculous.

Jesus christ I played through X/Y 3 times and I can't believe I only just now got the pun with that name

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

precision posted:

Team skull are a gang of bitter loosers who couldn't make it through the island trials.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Team Skull are a bunch of hoodlums who feel like failures because they didn't finish the Island Trial, which kids are pressured to attempt, and turned to crime in their disillusionment. They look up to Guzma, who feels the same way except he's not dumb, and Plumeria, who also got involved somehow. Guzma in particular failed to become a Captain while he was still young enough to be eligible, and bears a grudge for a lifetime of coming up short despite his strength, and becoming a gang leader and taking over a whole town is how he rages about it. Lusamine hires Guzma and Team Skull to help with her secret plan, and he goes along with it despite the potentially apocalyptic consequences because it suits his vaguely nihilistic ethos and because he feels respected. Team Skull was able to take over Po Town because Nanu, whose job it would ordinarily be to stop them, sympathizes with their rejection of/by polite society, and also has depression.

Team Skull are basically just organized crime like Team Rocket, except instead of sophisticated schemes and Giovanni's grand ambitions, they mostly just stick to the most basic crime in the pokemon setting, kidnapping pokemon to sell or ransom. That and vandalism. It makes sense that Team Rocket and Team Skull are the two best ones, given that.

If I remember correctly, members of Team Galactic thought they were an ordinary crime syndicate, but it turned out they were funding Cyrus' attempts to unmake creation. Team Flare was a doomsday cult with the twist that their leader was going to cause the apocalypse instead of just waiting for it. Team Plasma were political radicals, and Team Neo Plasma were the less idealistic remnant of them making another, more overt attempt at a coup d'etat on behalf of Ghetsis. I don't think Team Aqua and Team Magma even did anything criminal, they were just a bunch of rowdy fans of rival mad scientists.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh no, Team Aqua and Magma totally did criminal stuff, they stole a bunch of stuff from scientists, museums, and even a full-on Submarine at one point in pursuit of their leaders' goals.

Also, Guzma also had some other implications of an inferiority complex - like the collection of Bronze and Silver trophies in his house which implies that no matter what he tried or how good he got, he could never pull off a total success in anything. Plus the whole thing about his dad beating him. And then him turning around and kicking his dad's rear end just before he left home. Gives you an idea where he picked up his attitude from.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Team Skull is the best team.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay that all makes sense. Nanu really confused me though. And I was sure the Ghost captain with the cat mouth (Acerola?) was going to turn out to be evil

Hau is the Worst Rival Of Any Generation though just by virtue of being such a boring annoying little poo poo

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like how simple the first two generations are. The big plots distract from the journey to me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Team Magma kind of actually had a point in that the world probably could use more land, they just went about it in a predictably dumb way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Marriage Night posted:

I like how simple the first two generations are. The big plots distract from the journey to me.

Yeah when I played soul silver it was like oh thank god there's hardly any plot to bother thinking about

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

Pokemon game plots man

Team Skull's deal is...

well, let me just steal the words of someone who can say it much better than I can

Bogleech posted:

I remember when this game's villain team was first revealed, nothing but their name and some artwork, and people were so sure they were going to be positively badass. Then came the videos, and, well...

It turns out, out of every villain team in this series, that Team Skull are by far the least villainous, least menacing of them all, and I'm even including the anime's Jessie and James in that equation. Team Skull want to be a villain team, they think they're widely feared, but they're really just a gang of poor or mistreated kids watching out for each other and engaging more in hare-brained mischief than organized crime, let alone any doomsday plans.

They live in a ghost town they've plastered in graffiti. They try to threaten you through improvisational rap. Their ultimate nefarious goal is for their leader to be happy, and one of their actual villainous plans, at one point, is to steal a bus stop sign because they think the bus driver is overworked. Later, in Ultra Sun and Moon, you have to stop them from surfing atop a Mantine, not because they're going to hurt anybody else, but because they keep trying to dance at the same time, falling in the ocean, and having to be rescued over and over by a life guard who is just sick to death of it.

This is the opposite of a villain team. These are good, pure, perfect, special and precious children who were just dealt a crappy hand in life and made the best of it they possibly could.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 13, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

If I remember correctly, members of Team Galactic thought they were an ordinary crime syndicate, but it turned out they were funding Cyrus' attempts to unmake creation. Team Flare was a doomsday cult with the twist that their leader was going to cause the apocalypse instead of just waiting for it. Team Plasma were political radicals, and Team Neo Plasma were the less idealistic remnant of them making another, more overt attempt at a coup d'etat on behalf of Ghetsis. I don't think Team Aqua and Team Magma even did anything criminal, they were just a bunch of rowdy fans of rival mad scientists.

Team Galactic fronted as an organisation that was dedicated to like improving the world or something but basically it was just a cult and all the grunts were impressionable fools who completely brought into it even though the only things they ever did were crimes. Not too different from Flare honestly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I forgot that Aqua and Magma robbed a museum, and I forgot just how dull Team Galactic is. (Even so, I'm ready for a Sinnoh remake in 2020)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Honorable mention goes to the Aether Foundation, a legitimate conservationist NGO who only fight you because you're storming the laboratory where they keep their tragically failed advanced research projects on ice.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bongo Bill posted:

I forgot that Aqua and Magma robbed a museum, and I forgot just how dull Team Galactic is. (Even so, I'm ready for a Sinnoh remake in 2020)

Team Galactic is dull as dirt, except for right near the end of their plot-line in Platinum where Cyrus just suddenly reveals himself to be so batshit crazy that (for me at least) it makes up for how boring they've been up until that point and then you travel to hell to catch Pokemon Satan.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'll always love Platinum for how Pokemon just got weird because of it. Villain's big plan is to literally become god and remake creation in his own image? Go to hell and catch Satan? Pokemon can be resurrected as long as you ate them afterwords? At this point we pretty much have a whole Pokepantheon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Team Galactic have good grunts so I think they're pretty ok. They might have been the first villain team that was kinda designed around being jokes and goobers, admins excluded, and I think that was a good decision. Maybe Aqua and Magma grunts were also just real silly but Gen 3 is kind of a blank spot for me so I can't remember.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh goddamn it the move reminder is endgame only and the game still does the loving thing where if they level up in daycare/pokepelago it just auto learns moves

Welp Ribombee is getting benched for a while since his one amazing Fairy move got replaced by Aromatherapy :negative:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

galagazombie posted:

Pokemon can be resurrected as long as you ate them afterwords?

I haven't played Platinum in nearly ten years, but I just went "uh". What's this about?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bongo Bill posted:

Honorable mention goes to the Aether Foundation, a legitimate conservationist NGO who only fight you because you're storming the laboratory where they keep their tragically failed advanced research projects on ice.
Speaking of the Aether Foundation and ice, one thing that bugs me about USUM is that Lusamine still has a bunch of frozen Pokémon - something that was a bit of a moral event horizon moment in SuMo - and no-one really cares at the end of the story.

e: Granted, the PCs give Pokémon a similar fate. Although at least Poképelago exists now...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 13, 2018

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish Ultra had made an effort to keep the Lusamine being batshit crazy from the previous iteration. You could still do Necrozma and Lusamine's quest to end up with Nihilengo no matter the cost*. Instead she became sort of... just there? "I fooled the Ultra Recon Squad so I could be the one to take on Necrozma". It's kind of the standard boring Pokemon plot, but the original was much more interesting.

Ultra also removed the whole subplot with Anabel, Looker, and Nanu for no good reason. Ultra still does a lot of good because Necrozma was amazing, along with the Rainbow Rocket stuff (including the ending, *teleports behind* "nothing personal"), just kind of wish it had made a better effort to also keep the good stuff from the previous iteration to make it the definitive version.

* Necrozma could pop up right after the player rescues Lusamine because it saw the open wormhole as a chance to go parasite on Solgaleo/Lunala.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 13, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The original SM plot had the issue of - why are we even bothering to save Lusamine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Team Skull is the best team.

It's not even close