Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
No, I think it is invalid. It would be based on your entry visas, so because you got an entry stamp after your IDL, it's "activated" even if you didn't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I posted about this trip a few weeks ago but now I've tried nailing down more details.

I have a trip from Feb 2 to March 1 coming up. The first leg will be in Hokkaido. I will be traveling alone and this will be my first visit to Japan.

My plan seems much slimmer than most other people's plans I've seen posted on here. Thoughts?

Day 1 - Chitose
  • Land in Chitose in the evening (7 PM ish) and go directly to hotel and sleep
Day 2 - Sapporo
  • Travel to Sapporo
  • Check out Snow Festival stuff
  • Hokkaido Shrine
  • Clock tower
  • Mt Moiwa ropeway in the evening
Day 3 - Sapporo
  • Historical Village and museum

• Sapporo Beer museum
  • Probably turn in early
Day 4 - Sapporo Teine probably
  • Skiing!
Day 5 - Day trip to Otaru
  • Check out the Otaru Aquarium
  • Suitengu Shrine
  • Maybe do the Municipal Museum
  • Check out the Canal (in the evening?)
Day 6 - Day trip to Jozankei
  • Onsen and strolling, may skip
Day 7 - Day trip to Asahikawa
  • Go to the zoo
  • Hokkaido Gokoku Shrine
  • check out Susukino back in Sapporo in the evening
Day 8 - Noboribetsu
  • Travel to Noboribetsu
  • Stay at a ryokan, hopefully at Dai-ichi Takimotokan, waiting until its closer for reservations to open up.
  • Hike around
Day 9 - Hakodate
  • Travel to Hakodate
  • Hike up Mt. Hakodate
  • Check out Goryukaku
Day 10 - Travel to Hiroshima
  • Thinking of taking the shinkansen

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

I posted about this trip a few weeks ago but now I've tried nailing down more details.

I have a trip from Feb 2 to March 1 coming up. The first leg will be in Hokkaido. I will be traveling alone and this will be my first visit to Japan.

My plan seems much slimmer than most other people's plans I've seen posted on here. Thoughts?

Day 10 - Travel to Hiroshima
  • Thinking of taking the shinkansen

Fly to Hiroshima - it's a 2 hr nonstop, 3 hr connected flight versus a 13 hour train ride with multiple connections.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The Japanese version covers this in more detail:

https://www.npa.go.jp/policies/application/license_renewal/pdf/HP3monthpicture.pdf

If you are on a temporary or visitor visa, you can use your IDP subject to 1 year beginning on your entry to Japan. There is no requirement to be out of the country for a period of three months.

If you are on a resident visa, then you can use your IDP for 1 year on your entry to Japan. If you leave Japan on temporary permission (so you are not coming back on re-use of visa), you my still use your IDP upon return, subject to the original date of entry to Japan.

If you return to Japan in a period of 3 months on any resident visa (this is more common for Japanese citizens, since returning paperwork can date time and multiple entry visas usually still require a certificate), then you cannot use an IDP even with a completely new IDP.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Do you live in the US and have you been to any major zoos in the US? If that's the case, Asahikawa zoo many be underwhelming. Otherwise, no problem, as it's one of the best zoos in Japan.

Don't stay at the Daichi Takimoto-kan. Stay at a smaller ryokan and go to the Daichi Takimoto-kan and pay for direct hot spring access.

Don't skip the Hakodate Morning Market (Asaichi).

Otaru these days is pretty lame and too touristy and used to be a bit better. Now it's mostly just a tourist strip with your standard set of Japanese tourist stores. That being said, go to the Yoichi distillery if you like drinking, and in particular take a taxi/bus instead of your car.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Furious Lobster posted:

Fly to Hiroshima - it's a 2 hr nonstop, 3 hr connected flight versus a 13 hour train ride with multiple connections.

I told my wife I wanted to take the Shinkansen from fukuoka to Sapporo just once, just to try it, and she said "why are you such an idiot" lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it would be like a 15 hour train ride for 44,000 yen, or I could take a plane that's 2 hours and cost 98 bucks. I truly am a moron, lol

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If I wanted to spend 7 days in Japan in October, possibly my only time ever going (because $$$), so how does this sound:

Day 1: Fly into Tokyo, time permitting wander around near hotel (not sure where to stay), grab a bite to eat, turn in early to wake up early for

Days 2 and 3: Really explore Tokyo

Day 4: Hakone and Mt. Fuji - Not sure about this one. Obviously Fuji is amazing, but would October be a good time, and is visiting it something you would recommend for possibly my only trip to the country or would our time be better spent somewhere else? I generally like nature, but this is the one stop I'm conflicted on

Day 5: Kyoto (Is one day enough?)

Day 6: Nara

Day 7: Back to Tokyo before flying home

I'm thinking it's better to try to stay at a hotel in each town rather than traveling back to Tokyo every night and losing a lot of valuable time in transit. Or is that a logistical nightmare?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Day 4: Hakone and Mt. Fuji - Not sure about this one. Obviously Fuji is amazing, but would October be a good time, and is visiting it something you would recommend for possibly my only trip to the country or would our time be better spent somewhere else? I generally like nature, but this is the one stop I'm conflicted on

If you were thinking about hiking up Fuji, October is not a good time for it. Climbing season for Fuji ends in September.

Ninja Edit: And if you plan is to just see Fuji, I've heard it can be kind of tricky to get a clear view since it is usually covered in clouds.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

captkirk posted:

If you were thinking about hiking up Fuji, October is not a good time for it. Climbing season for Fuji ends in September.

Is the surrounding area still nice? What about just good places for Fuji viewing in Tokyo?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kyoto in 1 day is absolutely not enough.

Skip Fuji lol.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
No really instead of Mt fuji your best time will be at the Hub in Shibuya.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Is this a partial day in Tokyo? Or would you be flying out the next day?

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Nanigans posted:

Day 1: Fly into Tokyo, time permitting wander around near hotel (not sure where to stay), grab a bite to eat, turn in early to wake up early for
Days 2 and 3: Really explore Tokyo
Day 4: Hakone and Mt. Fuji
Day 5: Kyoto (Is one day enough?)
Day 6: Nara

I might be in the minority here but after spending a few days in Kyoto I really didn't find Nara worth the effort, unless you're really big on temples and want to pet some deer. I think you'd be much better off splitting your time between Tokyo and Kyoto equally for the 7 days. I wouldn't waste the time attempting Fuji. It's way too finicky. I checked everyday for 10 days straight that time of year, and it was cloudy almost every single day. If you're deadset on doing it, try and check out this page the morning of -- https://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/fujisanwatcher/live/index.html -- but I wouldn't make any concrete plans around the area.

If you want to save yourself some time, and aren't super into nightlife, you could take the last shinkansen to Kyoto on your day 3, and wake up to have at least one early day in Kyoto. For Fushimi or Arashiyama you're going to want to be there early before the crowds to get a decent experience.

coronalight fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 12, 2018

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Hello my doggies,

I'm in Tokyo (now) and my fiance arrives for two weeks starting tomorrow evening. We don't really have an agenda, except this hotel in Koto is booked until the 18th. I'm looking for recommendations on some romantic things to do with her. It doesn't have to be in Tokyo, as we have JR rail passes for the duration, or we could fly if it's reasonably far. I took a day to wander around Tokyo, and so far I'm pretty enthralled, easily my favorite-u country that I've ever visited.

She likes temples, eating weird stinky+spicy foods (she's thai), and making me walk much further than I should.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Also, I saw a line of people going to a quick service food place. I got two things. One was gooey potato fried into the shape of a golden fish. The other one looked like pork on top of sour cream, but was secretly really disgusting iced cream with some bean paste on the top. What did I order??

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Alright, so Fuji is out, Nara is out, and Kyoto has been expanded.

I'm not super into nightlife, no, though I would like to see people in Tokyo cut loose.

I'm thinking my schedule would be something like: Leave Friday morning, October 4th, arrive Saturday afternoon of the 5th, and then leave Saturday morning the 12th, and arrive the 13th (thanks, time difference) and take the 14th off to recover.

Some of the travel websites I've looked at have October as too far out to look at flight prices. That makes me anxious. I like to have things planned out for something as big as this. Same for hotels.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

ntan1 posted:

The Japanese version covers this in more detail:

https://www.npa.go.jp/policies/application/license_renewal/pdf/HP3monthpicture.pdf

If you are on a temporary or visitor visa, you can use your IDP subject to 1 year beginning on your entry to Japan. There is no requirement to be out of the country for a period of three months.

If you are on a resident visa, then you can use your IDP for 1 year on your entry to Japan. If you leave Japan on temporary permission (so you are not coming back on re-use of visa), you my still use your IDP upon return, subject to the original date of entry to Japan.

If you return to Japan in a period of 3 months on any resident visa (this is more common for Japanese citizens, since returning paperwork can date time and multiple entry visas usually still require a certificate), then you cannot use an IDP even with a completely new IDP.

Yeah, okay, the Tokyo Metro Police English version was worded really weirdly and I also missed the part that said "if you're a registered resident".

Your IDP is valid for 1 year after acquisition, i.e. if you got your IDP 3 months before entering Japan, you may only drive in Japan for 9 months.

You may only use an IDP up to 1 year after your entry into Japan, regardless of when you received your IDP, i.e. if you get your IDP by mail 3 months after entering Japan, you may only drive in Japan for another 9 months (until 1 year after your entry to Japan).

If you're on a resident visa then everything is different.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Nanigans posted:

I'm not super into nightlife, no, though I would like to see people in Tokyo cut loose.

I'm thinking my schedule would be something like: Leave Friday morning, October 4th, arrive Saturday afternoon of the 5th, and then leave Saturday morning the 12th, and arrive the 13th (thanks, time difference) and take the 14th off to recover.

Some of the travel websites I've looked at have October as too far out to look at flight prices. That makes me anxious. I like to have things planned out for something as big as this. Same for hotels.

If you find yourself in Kyoto, and wanting to go to Nara, it's a "quick" ride there and back anyways.

October shouldn't be too far out, you can usually book a full year in advance. I just tested it and was able to search on Kayak for the full month of October. It's common knowledge at this point, and it's stickied in this sub, but if you use Kayak and do the +/- 3 days conditions on flights you can find some pretty great deals. Their price chart is helpful too. If you live near a major hub you can also subscribe to something like Scott's Cheap Flights or one of the other cheap flight newsletters. They send daily emails with really low fares they find. I snagged NYC > Tokyo for $460 twice now. One was a full year in advance, the other 4 months.

When you are taking the train to Kyoto from Tokyo, you will have a good chance of seeing Fuji about 30-35 minutes in if I remember correctly.

coronalight fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 12, 2018

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I really enjoyed Nara...

I got bit by an rear end in a top hat deer there.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nanigans posted:

One thing I'd suggest is start your trip off in Kyoto (e.g. have your flight to Japan end at Itami airport) and then work your way back to Tokyo. You can do 3 days and a evening in Kyoto and 3 days in Tokyo. And adding my vote to not discounting Nara, it's a short trip (~45minutes). If you find after 2 days in Kyoto, the remaining sights don't outweigh the rear end in a top hat deer of Nara you can hop on over.

Luffles posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on some romantic things to do with her.
Winter Illumination shows https://jw-webmagazine.com/tokyo-winter-illumination-guide-2017-2018-13d71df4af67

Fish thing: Taiyaki with sweet potato filling
Other thing: Red bean and (cheap) vanilla ice cream in a monaka shell.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm currently single and I'd really like to find a girlfriend. I purchased an omamori from Senso-ji for luck in relationships and lit candles at Kinkaku-ji for love and marriage, but I was wondering if there are any special temples or shrines in Japan for finding a partner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/9wcak5/templesshrines_to_pray_at_to_find_a_girlfriend/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

October is good! Cheaper flights and best weather!!
Ehime, Kagawa and Hyogo have some incredible festivals in October!

My friend got arrested for multiple renewals of an international permit! Her work knowing and ignoring this fact did not make the police forgive her! If you use a car, get a license!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

All of these hyper detailed plans make me feel bad about my trip to Japan in a couple weeks which is basically:

Hang out in Japan for a week and some days.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

All of these hyper detailed plans make me feel bad about my trip to Japan in a couple weeks which is basically:

Don’t. Just come get drunk and poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

First Japan trip: hey guys check out this itinerary what do you thnik

Fourth Japan trip:

Magna Kaser posted:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ntan1 posted:

No really instead of Mt fuji your best time will be at the Hub in Shibuya.

I know this is sarcasm but if you pull a bird down at the hub you’ll remember that a lot longer than looking at some lovely old temples or a dumbass mountain.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TopHatGenius posted:

I really enjoyed Nara...

I got bit by an rear end in a top hat deer there.

A+ would pet/fight deer there again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Watching deer swarm and chase down terrified mainlanders was a great way to spend an hour.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I know this is sarcasm but if you pull a bird down at the hub you’ll remember that a lot longer than looking at some lovely old temples or a dumbass mountain.

Lol at this dude who gets laid less often than he climbs a 3700m mountain

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

not everybody can be banging your mom

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

dont sign you're poasts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

My friend got arrested for multiple renewals of an international permit! Her work knowing and ignoring this fact did not make the police forgive her! If you use a car, get a license!

Story please!!

Grand Fromage posted:

First Japan trip: hey guys check out this itinerary what do you thnik

Fourth Japan trip:

I'm on my like 18th or 19th trip or something I don't remember anymore and I still have to plan places to stay (well technically it's possible to get away without doing this but still) since I'm always in the country side. But the whole planning activities thing down to the minute/hour is kinda lame and never works - I just write down like 2-4 locations + phone numbers like 2 weeks before any trip and then do whatever I feel when I'm in the country.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 13, 2018

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's also official after March the only prefecture I will have never been to is Tottori.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Just be careful not to fall into the caldera

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Story please!!

That's basically the whole story. A local eikaiwa always provided teachers with lovely little cars, the teachers always arrived with international driving permits. Maybe the teachers were expected to convert later, because they were all Canadian, but it wasn't enforced or encouraged by management.
She was stopped for Driving While Brown and that's when we all learned that international permits are only valid for the 1st year or until the first time you leave Japan.
It was her 3rd year...
The police dropped all penalties, but denied her appeal to get a JP license. She changed jobs for her last year in town.

Thinking about it, that means my own IDP was also invalid, because I got it in my 4th year in here. And left the country once or twice. But I did get my JP license within that year...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

It's also official after March the only prefecture I will have never been to is Tottori.

Lol just lol if you've been to Shimane and Fukui but not Tottori.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In Soviet The Hub, birds pull you down

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Maybe the teachers were expected to convert later, because they were all Canadian,

Yeah and Canadians just have to take half a day and do paperwork (I believe they’re still covered in ways most Americans are not) no tests or anything either. Such laziness!

It’s not like doing the right thing and getting your license converted is always easy either.