Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you have trouble with the upcoming boss, try wearing a certain helmet. I won't say which one but you can probably figure it out from item descriptions.

Also which platform are you on? The final boss of Ivory King is best described as a beautiful chaotic mess and I'd love to join in if you'll have me. (I'm on PC.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is it a helmet I will find or I have to buy?

I haven’t done anything in Ivory King yet besides light the first bonfire there.

I’ll gladly summon real people for any of these bosses once I get to them. I still have to off Sinh in Sunken King if you’re up for that. I’m also on PC.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 3, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You would have to buy it.

And if you're talking Sinh then I can pull out Punchwitch again. (I'm ousterswarm2 on Steam.)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is it Velstadts helmet? If so, I thought that just made him mad and buff early.

Edit: steam search sucks. I can’t find you. I’m robhendrix.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 3, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is it Velstadts helmet? If so, I thought that just made him mad and buff early.

Edit: steam search sucks. I can’t find you. I’m robhendrix.
Yes, it is that one. I wouldn't call it a buff so much as a change, since his second phase hits harder but is easier to avoid.

As for Steam search, try ousterswarm. I think one of those is the internal username while the other is the external one, and I inherited the profile from a friend over a decade ago.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Why are you guys spoilering your steam names. What on earth do you think that will accomplish.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

robots can’t read your name if it’s behind a spoiler bar. they don’t know how to click on it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Why are you guys spoilering your steam names. What on earth do you think that will accomplish.

It's rude to read spoiler tags without permission you don't wanna be rude do you?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favorite little thing about brume tower is that it was a huge factory producing the stone giants you fight in Heide's flame.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Speaking of Brume Tower, I've picked this back up after a break of a few weeks and am up to the Fume Knight. This is my obligatory "complain on the internet" post so that I can beat this tricky fucker.

I feel like this guy's attacks are timed to have just a little more wind up than it looks like they should so that I'm baited into dodging too early. And goddamn do rolls not actually take you very far in this game compared to Bloodborne.

How good is the fume sword, would you say? I'm mostly here as early as possible because I wanted that sword, as I heard someone say it was the closest thing to the baldur side sword without being total poo poo like a few of the other options.

EDIT: oh wait, maybe that was the Ashen Warrior Sword. Well, Fume Sword looks kinda cool anyways.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 4, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Idk about the little fume sword but the Fume Ultra Greatsword is the best weapon in the game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The fume sword is okay, but between its awkward stat distribution (dark damage plus dex scaling) and high stamina cost per attack I kinda struggled to like it. If you just want a straight sword with a thrusting attack, you could always try an ordinary shortsword. Or use a longsword and switch to a two-handed grip when you want to thrust at something.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Roll distance in DS2 depends on your equip load. Try nudity, skeleton.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Are you having issues with the first phase or the second? If it's the first then keep in mind that he terminates combos by swinging his larger sword. (Rarely he will swing that twice, but you can get a sense for this by watching his stance enough.) If it's the second, all his moves hit hard but they're all heavily telegraphed. In particular the fiery sweep and the dash forward are prime opportunities to roll through his strike and punish him.

Bogart posted:

To be honest sometimes I like the shorter roll distance. It gives me more control so that I'm not just vaulting across the screen like in DS3. In other cases you may want distance, but if you're dodging in at the terminus of a combo (with good iframes because presumably you've bought up that Agility) then you can be in prime position to counterattack.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And there’s a fancy trick to do with how he punishes Estus use / the UGS getting cracked. I don’t have it on hand but it’s on YouTube.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Well, first Fume Knight attempt was not a complete waste. I was lucky enough to have two sun bros and one of them died before me. Probably had FK down to 40% health. I got comboed and then failed to dodge his AoE. He was spamming that poo poo.

Also spotted the idol I hadn’t found yet. And messages left on the top of FKs boss arena. Respect.

Edit: Got his rear end. Had one sun bro with me and she def did most of the work. Took six or seven tries.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 4, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’m tempted to respec. Currently running a dark build with Sentiers around SL 150. I have the last couple of bosses in the main game left, plus the final bosses in Sunken King and Old Iron King left. Also all of Ivory King. If I don’t do it now I will for NG+.

Thinking either FUGS or Majestic GS. What stats should I focus on for either?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bogart posted:

I'm currently running with about 24% equip load in the fume sorceror gear, which helps a lot but even totally naked it's been hard to adjust to the shorter roll all game after coming from BB. I feel like I'd have a better handle on it if I'd come fresh from DS1, but hey.

NGDBSS posted:

Are you having issues with the first phase or the second? If it's the first then keep in mind that he terminates combos by swinging his larger sword. (Rarely he will swing that twice, but you can get a sense for this by watching his stance enough.) If it's the second, all his moves hit hard but they're all heavily telegraphed. In particular the fiery sweep and the dash forward are prime opportunities to roll through his strike and punish him.

To be honest it's more that he has quite high health or defence and I prefer fast (and therefore low-damage) weapons so the fight lasts a lot longer than almost all the boss fights I've done so far. I can pretty consistently dodge attacks, but the only time you can really safely drink estus is just as a dodged combo ends, so if I gently caress up a dodge and get hit, I can usually just wait for the next attack, dodge that and drink. But eventually I gently caress up twice in a row and get killed.

I think I have the fight down pretty well, I just need to pull it off successfully. Since it's a DLC, I've been splitting my time between doing other areas and periodically returning for a few rounds.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fume Knight inherently takes a long time for everyone. I'd argue that fast, light weapons are superior on him due to the nature of his combo extensions, since winding up a big UGS swing can end up pushing your recovery frames over into him doing a punish.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I posted it in the discord already but I just wanna jack myself off here too because I no-hit Ruin Sentinels today. Killing those guys clean feels so drat good since they took me like 4 hours to even kill on my first playthrough (DS2 was my first Souls game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?TF94m38U0Ec

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The thing the Sentinels do a good job of hiding is that you can split em up on the high platform for quite a while. Defeat #1 on the platform, wait for 2 to jump up, DPS them, and when 3 jumps up, you jump down and try to keep track of the one you damaged, finish them off, then you have a massive space to defeat one sentinel.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

You would have to buy it.

And if you're talking Sinh then I can pull out Punchwitch again. (I'm ousterswarm2 on Steam.)

I have Sinh and Fume Knight down. I’m going to do Old Ivory before finishing off with Alonne. So I’ll be ready for that boss you want to bro-op soon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vermain posted:

Fume Knight inherently takes a long time for everyone. I'd argue that fast, light weapons are superior on him due to the nature of his combo extensions, since winding up a big UGS swing can end up pushing your recovery frames over into him doing a punish.

Rapier, Havel's GS, naked. Block his option select small sword attacks for free and dodge his slow lazy GS attacks. It's still got that DLC way-too-long feel.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is there any reason to not go fight the cat boss after I get the Eye item that makes everything visible? I ended up doing the first bonfire in Eleum Loyce all the way through getting that item. I was out of Estus, chomping life gems, and my third dragon ring broke so I had to stop shortly after. I did find another bonfire just didn’t rest at it.

Better way to ask: are there any items available in the frozen phase that you can’t get once everything is thawed?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Go fight the cat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there any reason to not go fight the cat boss after I get the Eye item that makes everything visible? I ended up doing the first bonfire in Eleum Loyce all the way through getting that item. I was out of Estus, chomping life gems, and my third dragon ring broke so I had to stop shortly after. I did find another bonfire just didn’t rest at it.

Better way to ask: are there any items available in the frozen phase that you can’t get once everything is thawed?

No, the opposite is true and ending the blizzard will make new stuff available throughout the level.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I rolled a new character last night and managed to stomp Armorer Dennis's stupid face in on the first try, and it was truly sublime. He was still trucking after two parries and a backstab, gently caress that guy forever.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have Sinh and Fume Knight down. I’m going to do Old Ivory before finishing off with Alonne. So I’ll be ready for that boss you want to bro-op soon.
Just let me know when you want to fool around with that. Also since I can fool around with any of these with a Soul Vessel and some offscreen farming, what kind of weapons do you want me to bring?
  • Light weapons.
  • Heavy weapons.
  • Superheavy comedy option.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dealers choice. I’ll be rolling Santiers with dark weapon. If I soul vessel I’ll switch to a FUGS build. Doubt I’ll do that with Alonne left though.

How many Loyce Knights you want me to free?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Dealers choice. I’ll be rolling Santiers with dark weapon. If I soul vessel I’ll switch to a FUGS build. Doubt I’ll do that with Alonne left though.

How many Loyce Knights you want me to free?
Superheavy comedy it is. As for the Loyce Knights, go with 2 (for 3 total). The playerbase isn't around anymore to allow for the crazy brawls with fewer Loyce Knights without the boss fight dragging excessively. I've absolutely been in co-op iterations of that combat with only the one initial Loyce Knight around, but that was back on original DS2 (no Scholar) when you could reliably summon three players for Police Brutality Simulator.

Just to be sure, which Soul Memory tier are you on? Usually I end playthroughs in tier 36 (3M - 5M) because I'm a completionist twit.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I haven’t checked in a while, but I was at around 1.2 million when I started Drangleic Castle. I expect I’m well over 3 million by now. Doubt I’m over 5 mil.

Edit: btw just hitting the bonfire my first time, there were two player summons ready to go. Middle of the day on a Sunday.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 19, 2018

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
I've been reading this thread from a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it. It also made me fire this game back up to have another go. I've only ever completed the main story on SotFS and didn't do the DLCs in the end. This game is gigantic, though according to Steam it only took me 91 hours which I think is pretty standard for a first run?

Just want to add that I'm new to the forum and I'm continuously amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone is! I've picked up a lot of bits I missed in my first run (like that weird armour the merchant in Majula gives you after his head is fully inserted inside his arse and you talk to him with 0 souls).

I really want to go full strength this time around to really make use of some ridiculously huge weapons. From memory I think previously I mainly focused on a quality build, though I do recall giving the normal ultra greatsword a go. Really want to use some huge maces or something to really clobber people in this run. After getting back to grips with the game I managed to defeat the Pursuer in the optional boss fight on that raised area, which I'd never done before! (Completed the game once, but had lots of failed starts) Seemed like I'd never forgotten his pattern, felt great and really psyched me up for the rest of the game.

Going back to this game where I'd last played Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 1 Remastered I have to say I fall in with those that like this one as the best gameplay Dark Souls (with Bloodborne edging it out overall for me) but I really like this one visually the best too. It feels like Dark Souls 3 is just a reskinned Bloodborne with no variety in physical builds for the bodies and appearances. I also find the clothing you wear looks far better than even Dark Souls 3. Is that weird? They really feel like completely different engines. I have the most fashion fun in DS2, hands down.

Looking forward to doing all the relevant DLCs this time around, noting the comments on the co-op areas in this thread! :v:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Zirak posted:

I really want to go full strength this time around to really make use of some ridiculously huge weapons. From memory I think previously I mainly focused on a quality build, though I do recall giving the normal ultra greatsword a go. Really want to use some huge maces or something to really clobber people in this run. After getting back to grips with the game I managed to defeat the Pursuer in the optional boss fight on that raised area, which I'd never done before! (Completed the game once, but had lots of failed starts) Seemed like I'd never forgotten his pattern, felt great and really psyched me up for the rest of the game.

I started playing a Sorcerer, but I played DS2 to such an extent that I levelled up to have high stats in pretty much everything.

Once you get to that stage, you get to use the most fun ridiculously huge weapon: a Dark-infused Crypt Blacksword, with Dark Weapon cast on it (while wearing heavy armour)

The stat requirements to effectively do this are crazy - you need a min of 40 STR (and 10 DEX, 12 INT) to even use the sword one-handed (and the moveset means it helps to be able to switch between one and two handed at will). To make proper use of the stat scaling with Dark, you need really high INT and FAITH. And because it weighs a ton, you'll need plenty of VIT if you plan to carry anything else. Oh, and swinging it eats Stamina like crazy, so you'll need plenty of END as well.

It's slow and I'm pretty sure that its range is less than some other Ultra Greatswords, but the damage you can do with it is absolutely crazy.

I'm pretty mediocre in PvP and generally I don't think slow weapons suit my playstyle but I was still fighting invaders and winning on multiple occasions through virtue of brute force alone.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Crypt Blacksword is probably the best weapon in the game for its consistently high damage and varied moveset. That said, right now I'm fooling around with the Smelter Hammer which is almost certainly the biggest (and heaviest) weapon in the game. And having a smash attack on every single part of the 2H moveset (even the parry) is hilarious.

Naturally its biggest issue is being so drat huge that it obscures the camera in close quarters.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
When I was doing my all achievements run somewhere in NG+1 I ended up with enough stats to powerstance ultra greatswords. Thus I started running around nearly naked (UGS are so heavy) wielding a Pursuer's GS in my right and a Zweihander in my left. They actually compliment each other well, they have the same moveset but the light and heavy attacks are swapped. I.E. the Zweihander has a 'fast' sweep and a slow overhead R2 and the pursuer has a fast overhead and a slow R2 sweep.

Also when you want both the enemy and your stamina dead you can use your powerstance moves, I was able to 1-shot the knights in iron keep with them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, the best weapon in the game is the plain Claymore.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
This is true of every souls game starting with Demon's

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bogart posted:

Oh, the best weapon in the game is the plain Claymore.
"Best" and "plain" is an oxymoron. If it's not ridiculous, why am I even playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
ffs so either I or the creeps killed Rosabeth, and now I can't find her tombstone to ress her as a ghost. Is there anything I can do to get her back?

Also, are there more npcs I can recruit to Majula for the Gathering of Exiles achievement?