Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I was just visited by this danger noodle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know what species that is or how dangerous it might be, but I'm moving to Australia soon and I am taking the term "Danger Noodle" with me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's a cottonmouth

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
bad

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Cottonmouths put on a big show, and they have some strong venom that can kill you if it goes untreated or you have an allergic reaction, but they don't want to bite you.

Here's a really good video where this guy disproves a number of cottonmouth myths. He goes through a lot of effort to get one to bite him, and here's what it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314N7xIeRR8&t=735s

I've had similar experiences. In Florida, I was chasing a watersnake and realized that I needed to be more careful since the area I was in looked really good for cottonmouths. I stopped, and when I glanced around, found two within a foot of me. Neither made the least bit of an aggressive action towards me. The other cottons I've found have all been the same - I've moved a few across the road with my snake hook and they mostly just ignore me in the process. Don't step on them or mess with them and you're fine.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

He was very polite about me invading his space and making him pose for photos

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

OneTwentySix posted:

Cottonmouths put on a big show, and they have some strong venom that can kill you if it goes untreated or you have an allergic reaction, but they don't want to bite you.

Here's a really good video where this guy disproves a number of cottonmouth myths. He goes through a lot of effort to get one to bite him, and here's what it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314N7xIeRR8&t=735s

this is amazing lmao

people who are like fundamentally afraid of snakes baffle me. don't kill snakes you dopes

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 6, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know what species that is or how dangerous it might be, but I'm moving to Australia soon and I am taking the term "Danger Noodle" with me.

You're actually quite unlikely to see any snakes unless you go out into the outback looking for them. I've been here 6 years and I've seen one Brown snake and that was in an area that had loads of signs saying they were there and we only caught a glimpse of it as it shot into the undergrowth.

However you can find things like this in pockets of bush in the cities. I found this near where I live in Sydney and I think it's an Eastern Water Dragon (feel free to correct if it's something else!)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Helith posted:

You're actually quite unlikely to see any snakes unless you go out into the outback looking for them. I've been here 6 years and I've seen one Brown snake and that was in an area that had loads of signs saying they were there and we only caught a glimpse of it as it shot into the undergrowth.

Not being able to see any snakes does not mean you aren't surrounded by them. I live in wetlands surrounded by snakes at all times and I only see them once or twice a year

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

This is why you should just go out and look for snakes. More fun that way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is amazing lmao

people who are like fundamentally afraid of snakes baffle me. don't kill snakes you dopes

I am friend to all* animals, in large part because of where I lived as a child. I had a itinerant boa constrictor curl around the beam above my bunk bed for a week or so. A tarantula living in a crevice in the shower.

*I kill flies.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the bug-a-salt is amazing for killing flies and sometimes it just messes up their wings and stuns them so you can pick them up and feed them to your spider friends. it's basically a bb gun that fires a few grains of kosher salt like a shotgun, and everyone should own one

gently caress flies

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 8, 2018

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I try to avoid killing most things, but I make a few exceptions.

Flies are one.
Crane flies are another, although they often kill themselves pretty effectively.
Ants, if they start coming into the house.
Fleas and mosquitoes.
Yellowjackets and the like if they get stuck inside.

I've found that the older I get the less I want to kill anything. :corsair:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Backyard critter dump!

Nice camouflage on this inchworm.

Some sort of shield bug?

I felt really bad for this caterpillar and pulled it out of the web but I fear I was too late.

Various bees on various flowers.

Not a bee!

Spiky caterpillar.

A nice little moth.

Big ol' mosquito!

Some neat dragonflies.

The tiniest little snails I ever did see.

We had some good spiders around too.

Especially this one!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nice pics!

Your big ol mosquito is no such thing. It's a crane fly, family Tipulidae, and non-biting.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I felt really bad for this caterpillar and pulled it out of the web but I fear I was too late.
wow, way to end up on your neighborhood spiders' shitlist. guess who's getting spiders in the mouth in their sleep

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Crane flies are another, although they often kill themselves pretty effectively.

Why crane flies? They're odd-looking, but completely harmless.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of several reasons I don't like to visit my parents in Arizona. Instead of little soaps by the sink they have these fuckers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

OneTwentySix posted:

Why crane flies? They're odd-looking, but completely harmless.

They're an invasive pest species in the US, are obnoxiously loud when they get in the house, and have a perverse ability to leave their corpses in gross places, like the floor of the shower. Trying to relocate one just means it will lose one or more legs, as they are more prone to limb loss than zombies. Swatting one leads to not only the legs getting stuck on the surface they were on, but a generally smeary mess. The only good thing I can say about them is that the Bewick's wrens around here eat them, but that's about it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Flies are one.
Ants, if they start coming into the house.
Fleas and mosquitoes.
Yellowjackets and the like if they get stuck inside.

I've found that the older I get the less I want to kill anything. :corsair:

Ticks can go to hell

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

parasites know what they're getting into

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They're an invasive pest species in the US, are obnoxiously loud when they get in the house, and have a perverse ability to leave their corpses in gross places, like the floor of the shower. Trying to relocate one just means it will lose one or more legs, as they are more prone to limb loss than zombies. Swatting one leads to not only the legs getting stuck on the surface they were on, but a generally smeary mess. The only good thing I can say about them is that the Bewick's wrens around here eat them, but that's about it.

We've definitely got native crane flies in the US. I mean go around killing them if you want but they are definitely not all invasive.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Potential BFF posted:

That's a 10/10 frog.

There's a pair of red foxes that occasionally visit my yard, at least I'm pretty sure they're red foxes even though they're grey. They aren't exactly easy to get pictures of but I happened to have my phone in my pocket this evening when one of them made an appearance.

Definitely grey fox. Grey foxes have black tips of their tail and red foxes have white tips, plus they're red.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Sometimes for work I have to go up to the pallet building, which is just a big open sided shed and grab pallets to pack jobs. And this is at night, by the way when it's hard to see. I'm seriously paranoid I'm going to stick my finger right on a black widow one day. Would those general work gloves that are similar to gardening gloves probably be thick enough to stop a bite out of curiosity?

Also I was surprised to learn we have geckos in Alabama. I'll try to get a photo next time, but at night when we leave the porch light on they crawl around on our glass door. Apparently it's a Turkish Gecko.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

poverty goat posted:

gently caress flies

oh come on, some flies are just adorable, even though most of them breed in animal poo (like this one)

Been a while critter lovers, so here's another one

a backwards nosed weevil

Same one playing dead

These are Australian insects and believe it or not, they are not dangerous or deadly!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sexy tiger boobs posted:

We've definitely got native crane flies in the US. I mean go around killing them if you want but they are definitely not all invasive.

They might not all be invasive, but they are all affronts to everything that is fine and good and worthy of respect.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
All crane flies I’ve encountered are pretty silent though. Maybe a bit of noise when they crash into things.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Sometimes for work I have to go up to the pallet building, which is just a big open sided shed and grab pallets to pack jobs. And this is at night, by the way when it's hard to see. I'm seriously paranoid I'm going to stick my finger right on a black widow one day. Would those general work gloves that are similar to gardening gloves probably be thick enough to stop a bite out of curiosity?

Also I was surprised to learn we have geckos in Alabama. I'll try to get a photo next time, but at night when we leave the porch light on they crawl around on our glass door. Apparently it's a Turkish Gecko.

Yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I fuckin love weevils

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
So do cerceris wasps :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Potato quality, through a screen door, but any chance of IDing this murderbirb that landed on my balcony?

I'm in Eastern Ontario. It was about the size of a cat.

I think it was looking for a squirrel that sometimes frequents the balcony.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Herr Schuler posted:

Same one playing dead

These are Australian insects and believe it or not, they are not dangerous or deadly!

:kimchi:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ran into this guy on a hike today in Brisbane, Aus. Australian tree snake, or green tree snake.

and also this guy.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 15, 2018

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
That Bearded Dragon is not fooling anyone with its camouflage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asiina posted:

Potato quality, through a screen door, but any chance of IDing this murderbirb that landed on my balcony?

I'm in Eastern Ontario. It was about the size of a cat.

I think it was looking for a squirrel that sometimes frequents the balcony.

Really hard to tell from the photo, but looks like a red-tailed hawk, the generic hawk of North America.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Going through a batch 16 rolls I've just had developed.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

this is my favourite photographic genre
a small friend on a very big adventure :3:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Went to Colorado for Christmas, I really wanted to see a wild moose since where I'm from we don't have them. It was a long shot but a christmas wish is a christmas wish...

After about 2 hours of driving we came across a small cluster of bedding deer next to the road, this one was eager to pose. Didn't push too close since the weather was bad and didn't want to ruin their bedding spot.

Then about an hour later, we finally spotted some moose. This was a mother and her calf.

Adorable lil thing!

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Helith posted:

However you can find things like this in pockets of bush in the cities. I found this near where I live in Sydney and I think it's an Eastern Water Dragon (feel free to correct if it's something else!)

Late to the party, but that is indeed an Eastern Water Dragon. The red/crimson colouring you can see on its chest means your specimen is a sexually mature male. They like to climb trees near water, which makes for some surprises if you're not expecting them to take a dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Went to Colorado for Christmas

Looks cold.

Up north in downunder, its 34 oC, 83% relative humidity. The fruit on the Pandanus palm is ripe and the cassowaries are on the move.