Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm curious to see how they end the current storyline as it was probably the one that left me the most unsatisfied when reading the manga. But that might have been down to the sub-par translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Might start sounding like a broken record. But this episode was great.
"Hey, why do you sound exasperated?!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I certainly forgot how dark Shizu's backstory got.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want to see Leon get his pretty face wrecked in by Rimuru later. gently caress that guy.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
I love Rimuru's little panic moment when he gets engulfed by that fire tornado. Even he's underestimating how freaking OP he is. Now I just hope we get to see him beat the ever loving poo poo out of the blond bastard who summoned Shizu and had Ifrit possess her in the first place.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Turns out wishing to be neither hot nor cold is kinda broken when your opponent's sole attack is "making you hot".

God that whole sequence with what I can only presume is another summoned child and Pizu :smith:

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Can't wait for Leon to smug it up and get deleted

Next episode, "inherited will". I guess we finally get blue slimegirl mode?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Alfredo Jones posted:

I love Rimuru's little panic moment when he gets engulfed by that fire tornado. Even he's underestimating how freaking OP he is. Now I just hope we get to see him beat the ever loving poo poo out of the blond bastard who summoned Shizu and had Ifrit possess her in the first place.

It's less that he's OP, and more that he's enough of a cockroach and makes enough friends that he can leverage his super exposition power to find a way of winning. I kind of like it over the "Protagonist wipes out the villains with a wave of their hand the moment they feel like they can win."

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

... jeez, that thing with Pizu. I was expecting half of it but uhhhhhhh I thought just the little fox would die, not the girl too. yikes!!

Poor Shizu. :( I hope Rimuru can help her.

Edit: Wait, I feel like an idiot, did Shizu die? is she dead. The next episode title has me worried ...

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alectai posted:

It's less that he's OP, and more that he's enough of a cockroach and makes enough friends that he can leverage his super exposition power to find a way of winning. I kind of like it over the "Protagonist wipes out the villains with a wave of their hand the moment they feel like they can win."

rather than other isekais it's more jojo as gently caress

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That got pretty dark with the broiled pokemon and trainer :(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Edit: Wait, I feel like an idiot, did Shizu die? is she dead. The next episode title has me worried ...
Manga Spoilers: Not yet. But you'll soon know why Rimuru has a blue-haired body.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh, I don't know about the LN, but compared to the manga this episode was about a million times better at handling Shizu characterization and backstory.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Huh, I don't know about the LN, but compared to the manga this episode was about a million times better at handling Shizu characterization and backstory.

The LN has the Pizu stuff, I dunno why the manga really skipped it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd say it's mostly better than the LN, since that took a few chapters spread out in the first volume, interrupting the flow of things a bit. But there's one thing they haven't covered yet that's really important that I only really understood on reading the LN, even after reading both the official and fan translations of the manga. Hopefully they cover it well enough in the anime.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I was seriously hoping that the final scene between Ifrit and Veldora would be in this episode. So glad it was.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Onean posted:

I'd say it's mostly better than the LN, since that took a few chapters spread out in the first volume, interrupting the flow of things a bit. But there's one thing they haven't covered yet that's really important that I only really understood on reading the LN, even after reading both the official and fan translations of the manga. Hopefully they cover it well enough in the anime.

Really? Does the LN go into more detail about why the ending of this plot thread unfolds the way it does? Because it was kinda weird how vague the justification was in the manga.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Skippy McPants posted:

Really? Does the LN go into more detail about why the ending of this plot thread unfolds the way it does? Because it was kinda weird how vague the justification was in the manga.

There is more for that, though even the LN keeps it a little vague (though there's a little reference in the bonus chapters the official manga translation has), but it's mainly just what exactly Shizu's Unique Skill does, why she has it to begin with and why it's so good for Rimuru.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like this show and all, but hoo boy I hope Shizu isn't about to get fridged, especially in light of Rimuru presumably wearing her face going forwards.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like this show and all, but hoo boy I hope Shizu isn't about to get fridged, especially in light of Rimuru presumably wearing her face going forwards.

Wouldn't Shizu have to become Rimuru's girlfriend first for it to count as getting fridged? Considering she's 80 something years old at this point it looks more like she might get three days from retiremented.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

Wouldn't Shizu have to become Rimuru's girlfriend first for it to count as getting fridged? Considering she's 80 something years old at this point it looks more like she might get three days from retiremented.

That would make it worse, yeah, and it wouldn't completely turn me off the show or anything if she died, but introducing a cool, interesting female character so that she can promptly die to further the motivations of the hero is still kinda lame no matter how well you spin it.

Also the hero then presumably taking on her face adds a mildly weird dimension to the whole thing IMO.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

That would make it worse, yeah, and it wouldn't completely turn me off the show or anything if she died, but introducing a cool, interesting female character so that she can promptly die to further the motivations of the hero is still kinda lame no matter how well you spin it.

Also the hero then presumably taking on her face adds a mildly weird dimension to the whole thing IMO.

If you don't mind spoilers and want a bit of context: the Ifrit was artificially extending her life. Without it, she starts rapidly aging to the point of death. Rimuru, feeling a sense of kinship with her and acting as sort of her deathbed confessor asks to take on any burdens she's still carrying so she can pass on peacefully. She imparts both the anger at the dude who summoned her and some other stuff that I won't spoil since it relates to later splot threads.

So, it is totally "woman dies to give the protagonist a sense of purpose," but it's probably the least offensive framing of the trope one could imagine. It's also pretty weird that he eats her and that is honestly not given enough context, at least in the manga.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

The promo stuff doesn't seem to imply this is going to happen...

But I haven't read any of the source material so I don't know.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

If you don't mind spoilers and want a bit of context: the Ifrit was artificially extending her life. Without it, she starts rapidly aging to the point of death. Rimuru, feeling a sense of kinship with her and acting as sort of her deathbed confessor asks to take on any burdens she's still carrying so she can pass on peacefully. She imparts both the anger at the dude who summoned her and some other stuff that I won't spoil since it relates to later splot threads.

So, it is totally "woman dies to give the protagonist a sense of purpose," but it's probably the least offensive framing of the trope one could imagine. It's also pretty weird that he eats her and that is honestly not given enough context, at least in the manga.

Man, if you're gonna do it that's a decent enough way to do it, I suppose, but...jeeze. Would really have liked to have kept Shizu around, even if not in a combat role.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, if you're gonna do it that's a decent enough way to do it, I suppose, but...jeeze. Would really have liked to have kept Shizu around, even if not in a combat role.

Maybe also worth mentioning that while Shizu is the first capable and well-characterized woman in the story, she isn't the last and so far as I know (again, haven't read the LN) they aren't habitually killed off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe also worth mentioning that while Shizu is the first capable and well-characterized woman in the story, she isn't the last and so far as I know (again, haven't read the LN) they aren't habitually killed off.

That certainly helps, thanks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Skippy McPants posted:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I went back and checked out the LN because I thought it mentioned her age, but it doesn't. Instead it's actually not vague at all, though what Skippy says covers a chunk of it. There's more of an explanation why, but I'll keep mum on that unless someone wants it just in case it shows up next week. It's better, but she still dies so it doesn't change a ton.

Skippy McPants posted:

I've only read the official LN translations, so they've only just handled Charaybdis, though it'll get ahead of the manga translations in December judging by the cover. There are some side-story manga I've read that's set a decent bit past the manga fan translations, so super spoilers, that show basically everyone's (and then some, that I'm really excited to learn about) still around.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Too many black bars on this page, imo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, this segment is kinda the main inciting incident so it’s hard not to talk about.

For a more generalist spoiler-free take, I’ll say how much I appreciate that nearly all of the monsters and villains in this series have good, sympathetic motivations even when they’re doing bad stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Except Ifrit, apparently. He's just an rear end in a top hat I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

And the summoner guy.

I like that the three human adventurers are good people and a tight knit group, and that they were reasonably competent in the fight if very outclassed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I did say nearly. Some people and monsters are still just assholes. To be more specific I'd say that I like how the show doesn't portray people or races as inherently evil. Too many fantasy works get away with treating race essentialism as a given, whether it's a positive or negative expression.

Like, there's a nice bit a ways further in where Rimuru comments that members from one of his adoptive monster communities have the potential to rival dwarven craftsmanship once they've received sufficient training. It's a welcome subversion because strikes down both the "unthinking monster" and the "dwarves are always the best at making stuff" clichés.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Rimiru ate Veldora because friends help each other (also it was pretty much the only way he could help Veldora) which is kinda weird. Like, the show and how Rimiru works is weird but it's completely consistent with it's own logic.

Clarste posted:

I mean, you know what fire spirits are like. "IGNIS must burn!" and all that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

I'm still sort of confused about why all of this popped off in the first place.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I'm still sort of confused about why all of this popped off in the first place.

They established over the last couple of episodes that Shizu is losing control of the Ifrit. In this episode, we see that crisis hit critical mass.

Random backstory stuff: the mask she wears helps her contain the Ifrit and keeps it from going rage monster like it did when she killed her pokemon trainer friend. Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent solution, which is why she abandoned her life and went looking for her summoner. She knew she was running out of time.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, I can’t wait for the rest of the episodes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

They established over the last couple of episodes that Shizu is losing control of the Ifrit. In this episode, we see that crisis hit critical mass.

Random backstory stuff: the mask she wears helps her contain the Ifrit and keeps it from going rage monster like it did when she killed her pokemon trainer friend. Unfortunately, it wasn't a permanent solution, which is why she abandoned her life and went looking for her summoner. She knew she was running out of time.

That really wasn't a rage. Ifrit's very much a rules and order type of spirit, and one of Leon's rules that he gave to Ifrit was to kill any monsters and people harboring them in the castle.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

That really wasn't a rage. Ifrit's very much a rules and order type of spirit, and one of Leon's rules that he gave to Ifrit was to kill any monsters and people harboring them in the castle.

Figure of speech. Even without the source material to go on, the anime clearly sets down that the one thing Shizu absolutely does not want is for the Ifrit to regain any measure of control.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
How's about we let the anime tell the story and leave novel/manga stuff out until the anime passed said point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Yeah as a manga reader I can understand the excitement about events in the near and far future but its kinda demoralizing for anime watchers when the thread is 90% manga/LN spoilers blotting out the sun.