Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wish I’d bought those strawberries and owned a piece of bitcoin history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

El_Elegante posted:

I wish I’d bought those strawberries and owned a piece of bitcoin history

I don't think they ever got past the proof of concept stage.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Neither did bitcoin, yet here we are.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

quote:

Billionaire Eric Schmidt, the former chairman of Google, is a budding bitcoin and blockchain enthusiast who said ethereum could be a “powerful platform” whose untapped potential is off-the-charts.

:hchatter:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
probably late to the party, but what the gently caress is the Crypto category on twitch. video thumbnails look like theyre just price charts and a facecam, are these just stupid truebelievers hoping to get bits(aka something thats worth real money) and butts as they have a hours long butt lecture/rant?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty much.

It's basically the 2018 version of a kid wearing their dad's suit jacket and pretending to be a serious financial news person, but other brokebrained internet idiots give them money for making pleasing and agreeable noises.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

PhazonLink posted:

probably late to the party, but what the gently caress is the Crypto category on twitch. video thumbnails look like theyre just price charts and a facecam, are these just stupid truebelievers hoping to get bits(aka something thats worth real money) and butts as they have a hours long butt lecture/rant?

It’s day trading poo poo. And if any of them could actually make good money day trading crypto, they probably wouldn’t be live streaming their methods for a few bucks from viewers.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

-

Spatial fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 20, 2018

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Adar posted:

This is still such a scorching take I really just want to hear how you think that's possible.

Who's going to ban it? The US government? The EU? The UN? What specific legislative body is going to do that and why/how will they all dramatically flip from the regulatory approach they've increasingly taken over the next 14 months?

As many have said already, it's not one thing that will bring crypto down. It's the combination of things: wasting resources, regulations, immutability (not only because of the GDPR), incompetence of devs, bugs/getting hacked, scams, illegal activity, tax evasion, funding of radical groups, impracticality as anything be it currency, store of value or investment and of cause the inability to scale to a level where it could be remotely useful to more than a few thousand people.

This combination is toxic and it is rapidly accelerating the demise of all crypto.

IF crypto is by chance becoming a clean asset (as in legal and safe like stocks) it becomes completely useless as no one would invest the time or money into running a virtual asset that is converting electricity to value (in a really inefficient way) when you can just directly invest in electricity. No matter how you look at it, crypto is already dead.

--- Related news from today ---

Cryptocurrency Scams Are Now Among the SEC's Top Enforcement Priorities
An annual report by the Securities and Exchange Commission reveals how digital currency scams, which did not merit a mention two years ago, are among the agency’s top enforcement priorities.

The SEC is focused in particular on so-called Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), which involve the sale of digital tokens related to blockchain projects. While many such projects are complete or on their way to fruition, many others have failed to deliver on their promises or turned out to be outright scams.

http://fortune.com/2018/11/02/sec-ico-report-cryptocurrency-scams/

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Oh man, look at that trade volume :flaccid:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hailthefish posted:

Pretty much.

It's basically the 2018 version of a kid wearing their dad's suit jacket and pretending to be a serious financial news person, but other brokebrained internet idiots give them money for making pleasing and agreeable noises.

Brb. Making ICO for Vincent Adultcoin

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

nnnotime posted:

The mining-electricty consumption issue is on it's way to being solved! Researchers have created a bionic mushroom that's capable of generating it's own electricity by hosting a special bacteria:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/11/09/bionic-mushroom-researchers-create-fungus-generates-electricity/1941145002/

All the miners have to do is put skylights over their mining operation rooms and let the sunshine beam in, touching the thousands of mushrooms growing around the mining rigs, all powering the equipment.

Checkmate again, FUD-sters!

From the linked article:

"Although the mushroom isn't strong enough to power a device, researchers say several of them could build up enough electrical current to light up an LED."

One LED. Yes, that's the carbon emissions problem solved for sure, no worries. Of course, bitcoin miners already use solar power anyway because they're so environmentally responsible.

I wonder if any bitcoin true believer anywhere in the world is honest enough to admit that they don't give a flying gently caress about anyone or anything but their try-to-get-rich-quick-&-gently caress-you agenda.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 12, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pawn 17 posted:

It’s day trading poo poo. And if any of them could actually make good money day trading crypto, they probably wouldn’t be live streaming their methods for a few bucks from viewers.

crypto day trader twitch streams are the Comedy loving Gold Channel when there's a crash in progress

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/farahmenswear/status/1062021223331364864

The verified accounts pretending to be Elon Musk giving away buttcoins are back. Promoted tweets in my timeline ffs. And there's a daisychain of like 4 other verified accounts in the replies all saying that it worked (including some EU press office which looks like it was hacked, or some intern is being a very naughty boy). Twitter, fix your poo poo.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 12, 2018

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Parkingtigers posted:

https://twitter.com/farahmenswear/status/1062021223331364864

The verified accounts pretending to be Elon Musk giving away buttcoins are back. Promoted tweets in my timeline ffs. And there's a daisychain of like 4 other verified accounts in the replies all saying that it worked (including some EU press office which looks like it was hacked, or some intern is being a very naughty boy). Twitter, fix your poo poo.

no way this is extremely good and cool that twitter is allowing this, in fact I think they should promote it more

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

My Linux Rig posted:

no way this is extremely good and cool that twitter is allowing this, in fact I think they should promote it more

"Hey guys! We finally found some monetization!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BigBadSteve posted:

From the linked article:

"Although the mushroom isn't strong enough to power a device, researchers say several of them could build up enough electrical current to light up an LED."

One LED. Yes, that's the carbon emissions problem solved for sure, no worries. Of course, bitcoin miners already use solar power anyway because they're so environmentally responsible.

I wonder if any bitcoin true believer anywhere in the world is honest enough to admit that they don't give a flying gently caress about anyone or anything but their try-to-get-rich-quick-&-gently caress-you agenda.

I hope Butt'ers remember that Mythbusters did a free energy episode and they then spend 1000 K$ of poo poo fiat money to buy wires and get free energy from the Earth's magnetic field.
(or they set their house on fire making that cool propane wheel thing or they try perpetual motion machines)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1062114592225193985

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I sure hope that wasn't a loan from a bank

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EorayMel posted:

I sure hope that wasn't a loan from a bank

lol if you think it was.

This was from a while ago and I still find it hilarious that people actually gave him money.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

lol if you think it was.

This was from a while ago and I still find it hilarious that people actually gave him money.

"Give me your children, and I will throw them at bears until we all become rich.

Need advice. I want to make things right."

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Corporate America's blockchain and bitcoin fever is over
S&P 500 executives are dropping blockchain buzzwords less on earnings calls and during presentations to analysts and investors. Analysts are also asking about it less.

https://www.axios.com/corporate-america-blockchain-bitcoin-fervor-over-fb13bc5c-81fd-4c12-8a7b-07ad107817ca.html

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think they ever got past the proof of concept stage.

I think thats where bitcoin got stuck at too

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Data61 and CBA demonstrate blockchain welfare payments
But a regular database arguably remains the better solution.

The report also compared the proof of concept with a centralised database that replaced smart contracts with a rules engine, and found no real benefit to the blockchain model when it came to choice for users, control of money, accessibility, simplicity, or efficiency.

Since the blockchain solution also needed participant data stored in an off-chain database, the report claimed it had higher confidentiality, but noted that the extra nodes needed would increase the surface area for attacks.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/data61-and-cba-demonstrate-blockchain-welfare-payments/

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Risc1911 posted:

S&P 500 executives are dropping blockchain buzzwords less on earnings calls and during presentations to analysts and investors. Analysts are also asking about it less.

https://www.axios.com/corporate-america-blockchain-bitcoin-fervor-over-fb13bc5c-81fd-4c12-8a7b-07ad107817ca.html

is shoving "machine learning" into everything still a thing?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

mike12345 posted:

I don't think we have reached "Peak AI" yet. It's all bollocks any way.

One can certainly imagine how, in principle, systems that can detect patterns with massive data processing might find hitherto unknown ways of constructing theories that surpass those within the reach of human intelligence. And that could have all sorts of effects. But among the concerns we face, this doesn’t seem to me to rank high. Even tasks mastered almost reflexively by infants are far beyond the capacities of contemporary AI.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Risc1911 posted:

quote:

Bitcoin was never as popular. Dropping that word or “cryptocurrency” was most common in the first quarter of this year — with a mere 68 mentions.
Its a propaganda war. Had they invested more heavily in the like of a Frank Luntz type than dog dick coffee tables, bitcoiner evangelists coulda had a snazzier word to repeat that doesn't sound like the kind of money Sasquatch makes. Rebrand to cyberbenjamins people, its not too late!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Risc1911 posted:

I don't think we have reached "Peak AI" yet. It's all bollocks any way.

One can certainly imagine how, in principle, systems that can detect patterns with massive data processing might find hitherto unknown ways of constructing theories that surpass those within the reach of human intelligence. And that could have all sorts of effects. But among the concerns we face, this doesn’t seem to me to rank high. Even tasks mastered almost reflexively by infants are far beyond the capacities of contemporary AI.
Like I know you get the point of machine decision making with your first sentence but I love the idea of the first goal of machine learning is to make an AI infant.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

zedprime posted:

Like I know you get the point of machine decision making with your first sentence but I love the idea of the first goal of machine learning is to make an AI infant.

The infant quote is more in relation to AI becoming a threat to humans and cognitive abilities not building an infant AI. No matter how much data you feed a machine, it could never grasp things an infant understands almost reflexively. Learning a language by just listening for example. Parents usually do not correct their children if they start speaking their first "baby talk" words they will interpret them with high accuracy (something again MLM will never be able to do), yet despite that, children learn to speak like grown up's at some point.

I give you another example. The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem Similar to this, ML and AI will never be able to "know that it does not know". This is getting a little philosophical but i think you understand what i mean.

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 13, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mike12345 posted:

Remember when chatbots were the hot new thing for like half a year?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zedprime posted:

Bitcoiners would probably love that

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Lambert posted:

They still are in some fields. I work in IT at a higher ed institution and we just hosted a day-long conference about how to try to implement them.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jenrai posted:

They still are in some fields. I work in IT at a higher ed institution and we just hosted a day-long conference about how to try to implement them.

AI keeps rising in the blockchain but as soon as it does it looks at the blockchain and kills itself, drunk and cancerous like Hitchens or reddit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'A funny algorithm... the only way to win is not to mine.'

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lambert posted:

It was way shorter than that, when Microsoft released Tay on to Twitter and it turned into a Nazi calling for the extermination of Jews within about an hour.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lambert posted:

I’m pretty sure this happened in the early oughts and again in the tens

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Quote-Unquote posted:

It was way shorter than that, when Microsoft released Tay on to Twitter and it turned into a Nazi calling for the extermination of Jews within about an hour.

Lmao I forgot about that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

At least those have real value.

(Probably taste like blockchain, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Should be waluigi