Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nobody is arguing Blizzard hosed up, I'm saying they don't owe anyone poo poo in terms of announcements or content in their keynote no matter how much people pay to be there. They're stupid and entitled if they drop money on those kinds of expectations.

Also I don't know enough about volatility in mobile with companies like NetEase or Tencent but everything I've seen suggests robust and mostly even growth.

Edit: :siren: Secret Santa :siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874029&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

tallkidwithglasses posted:

:confused: I think we’re agreeing here? My point is basically desktop usage is stagnating and it’s smart for desktop game publishers to start pivoting to the biggest audience. Mobile gaming is clearly underserved right now and the audience is disproportionately ideal customers (young, located in developing markets).

Apples and oranges. Mobile and desktop gaming are as different as desktop gaming and tabletop gaming, and your graphic doesn't say anything useful to back up your assertion.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

mango sentinel posted:

Nobody is arguing Blizzard hosed up, I'm saying they don't owe anyone poo poo in terms of announcements or content in their keynote no matter how much people pay to be there. They're stupid and entitled if they drop money on those kinds of expectations.

Edit: :siren: Secret Santa :siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874029&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

As weird as it is that people defend corporations, it's also really weird that people pay money to be marketed towards.

ALSO JOIN UP FOR THE SECRET SANTA.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

mango sentinel posted:

Nobody is arguing Blizzard hosed up, I'm saying they don't owe anyone poo poo in terms of announcements or content in their keynote no matter how much people pay to be there.

Investors and higher ups at Activision Blizzard. This absolutely won't hurt Blizzard in the long run, but it can get people fired in the short term. Stupid business is stupid, which is where this death thread came from in the first place.

Atlas Hugged posted:

As weird as it is that people defend corporations, it's also really weird that people pay money to be marketed towards.

They get to play new games before they are released and hang out with people that share their hobby, and get a stupid little toy for their game. Before ComicCon started getting the really huge films doing events on the reg Blizzard was certainly orders of magnitude larger than anything that would show up at a given con. Something like Starcraft isn't just a multi-billion franchise, it's a game that pretty much on it's own started a multi-billion dollar franchise in 'e-sports'. Also at one point the nation religion of South Korea. I think it's a bit too limited for an event, but if any corporation could pull it off over such limited selections it'd be Blizzard.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mulva posted:

They get to play new games before they are released and hang out with people that share their hobby, and get a stupid little toy for their game. Before ComicCon started getting the really huge films doing events on the reg Blizzard was certainly orders of magnitude larger than anything that would show up at a given con. Something like Starcraft isn't just a multi-billion franchise, it's a game that pretty much on it's own started a multi-billion dollar franchise in 'e-sports'. Also at one point the nation religion of South Korea. I think it's a bit too limited for an event, but if any corporation could pull it off over such limited selections it'd be Blizzard.

This doesn't make it feel any less alien to me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And it's alien to a lot of people. You know where liking those things a bunch isn't alien? At Blizzcon. Which I imagine is the attraction.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Liking Blizzard stuff and wanting to hang with other fans isn't alien. Paying money to engage with marketing materials and to go home with a bag of marketing materials and expecting those marketing materials to be something you want and not something they're trying to market to you is alien.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

It's almost like nerds are weird and really loving bad with their money

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Oooh, thread title!

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
The whole diablo fiasco is weird to me because it’s a game that will lose the least in translation to mobile. You click on monsters until they die, sometimes switch powers, and then drink a potion.

Sure, you lose immersion on the first play through because the screen is so small, but most of the game is repeating the same thing over and over to randomly generate better loot. As long as you can display 8+ lines of item stats, you have your game.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TacoNight posted:

The whole diablo fiasco is weird to me because it’s a game that will lose the least in translation to mobile. You click on monsters until they die, sometimes switch powers, and then drink a potion.

Sure, you lose immersion on the first play through because the screen is so small, but most of the game is repeating the same thing over and over to randomly generate better loot. As long as you can display 8+ lines of item stats, you have your game.

I think it's honestly more that it's an obvious attempt to use unregulated gambling mechanics and micro-transactions to pull a super high price out of people. I wouldn't mind spending money up front (and nothing after) for a phone or tablet game but the mobile market, as well as ActiBlizzard and the dev, are sort of infamous for going with a more exploitative business model.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

rkajdi posted:

I think it's honestly more that it's an obvious attempt to use unregulated gambling mechanics and micro-transactions to pull a super high price out of people. I wouldn't mind spending money up front (and nothing after) for a phone or tablet game but the mobile market, as well as ActiBlizzard and the dev, are sort of infamous for going with a more exploitative business model.

This comes across as an after-the-fact justification to me. This is standard practice in the industry at this point, in both PC and mobile gaming, and if people were going to take a stand and demand that it stops, they would have done that already. It's scummy business practice, but it's little more than a convenient excuse for people to be angry that they weren't marketed towards in the right way after paying for the privilege to consume marketing materials.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Games like PubG and Fortnite make more money on PC than they do on mobile so maybe they shouldn't abandon that platform?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Right, but, again, and let me go ahead and stress this so it doesn't need to keep getting repeated, announcing a mobile game is not the same as canceling all future PC games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tkwg's right, it's just Blizzard's marketing that hosed up

also

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Right, but, again, and let me go ahead and stress this so it doesn't need to keep getting repeated, announcing a mobile game is not the same as canceling all future PC games.

Actually, it is.

Blizzard will be dispatching the Overwatch to conduct summary field executions of PC gamers. Hazard pay and ammunition costs will be funded via Diablo 3 microtransaction revenue.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atlas Hugged posted:

This comes across as an after-the-fact justification to me. This is standard practice in the industry at this point, in both PC and mobile gaming, and if people were going to take a stand and demand that it stops, they would have done that already. It's scummy business practice, but it's little more than a convenient excuse for people to be angry that they weren't marketed towards in the right way after paying for the privilege to consume marketing materials.

I guess that's true for some or even a lot of the base. I'm just personally happy that gatcha-style games are getting pushed back against, because otherwise I see them seeping into everything unless they start being regulated. I'm fine with mobile, as long as I can pay one price up front for a whole game that's commensurate with the game provided-- i.e. not $60 for an Order 1886 level experience.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I still think you're wrong about this. "Not growing as fast" is not the same as "dying." No one is arguing that mobile gaming is growing far faster than PC gaming, but PC gaming is still hugely, ludicrously, almost criminally profitable.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Apples and oranges. Mobile and desktop gaming are as different as desktop gaming and tabletop gaming, and your graphic doesn't say anything useful to back up your assertion.

To use your apples and oranges analogy, let’s say you are a large global apple producer, and you notice that the market for apples has been stagnating for several years- it’s still plenty large, but it’s no longer growing, just sustaining. It turns out that the kids these days are way more into oranges than kids of previous generations (in fact, the previous generation or three of kids being really into apples was what made your company so large and influential), and there are a bunch of emerging markets where apples aren’t even really sold and people just go straight for oranges.

Everyone has finite time and money to spend on fruit, so you decide it’s in your best interest to announce that you’ve planted an orange grove at your investor relations/marketing event that you suckered some of your biggest fans into spending tickets on. Several days later, there are angry posts on forums.somethingawful.com accusing people who thought that crop diversification was a smart business move of being rape apologists.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't go to the apple lover convention and talk about how oranges are the future.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
In this example people spend ten thousand dollars on a single apple, and 4 cents on an orange.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lotta nerds mad about blizzard itt

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is an absurdly useless observation.

Bethesda announced ES 6 after years of people begging for it with nothing but a splash screen on the same day they had announcement of ES mobile with a full gameplay video - No one reacted negatively.
Blizzard announced announced Diablo mobile after years of people begging for Diablo 4 on PC - Everyone reacted negatively.

Maybe it has everything to do with them giving off the appearance of abandoning their current fans to try their hand at greener pastures? All it would have taken is a D4 teaser announcement at Blizzcon and no one would be complaining.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat Face Joe posted:

nerds are always mad about something asinine

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
What’s the best gaming phone? I have an iPhone X but I could change to something watercooled with a clear case and LEDs if it makes my diablo experience better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

I'm extremely hype for the warcraft 3 remake

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have an iPhone X
This explains everything. :colbert:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
1/4 of my household was at Blizzcon, and 100% of my household consider themselves to be hardcore PC gamers. All laughed about Blizzard’s mobile announcement, then continued to play hours of Blizzard PC games every day since.

I have no idea what this means, but I like to post.

Posted from my mobile.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Broken Record Talk posted:

1/4 of my household was at Blizzcon, and 100% of my household consider themselves to be hardcore PC gamers. All laughed about Blizzard’s mobile announcement, then continued to play hours of Blizzard PC games every day since.

I have no idea what this means, but I like to post.

Posted from my mobile.

Wait, not one used "Slap in the face" unironically?

Cancelling my sub.

Posted from iPhone X

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

This explains everything. :colbert:

Yeah, I like good hardware, a good OS, and a user experience that is wholly functional out of the box and doesn’t involve removing preloaded bloatware my carrier or the manufacturer installed.

Also, as a hardcore mobile gamer, the title selection can’t be beat.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Mobile Diablo is great.

Posted from my Google Pixel 2 XL

#Nintendo #Switch #PlayingWithPower

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Two Beans posted:

Mobile Diablo is great.

"Hell" Yeah, I need to get Diablo for Switch, or is it bad to like Nintendo Corporation these days?

Posted from my Nokia Lumia 640 XL

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
As a software developer, my loathing of Apple is like the fire of a thousand flaming suns. The difference between developing for the Android platform and trying to develop for iOS is like night and day. And don't get me started on desktops, and how, no, OSX really isn't "BSD under the hood."

As far as user bloatware and user experience goes, my Pixel came very simple to use right out of the box with very little extra crap on it. The fact that I have to keep disabling auto-scanning for wifi is super annoying, though. Oh, and the last OS update introduced a decidedly Apple-like feature that I hate: I can no longer click a little "X" to close apps, instead I now have to swipe up to "throw them away." It's that kind of "intuitive" bullshit that I hate.

Does that sufficiently solidify my tech-curmudgeon cred?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

Mobile Diablo is great.

God's own console

Posted from my iPhone X

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ilor posted:

As a software developer, my loathing of Apple is like the fire of a thousand flaming suns. The difference between developing for the Android platform and trying to develop for iOS is like night and day. And don't get me started on desktops, and how, no, OSX really isn't "BSD under the hood."

As far as user bloatware and user experience goes, my Pixel came very simple to use right out of the box with very little extra crap on it. The fact that I have to keep disabling auto-scanning for wifi is super annoying, though. Oh, and the last OS update introduced a decidedly Apple-like feature that I hate: I can no longer click a little "X" to close apps, instead I now have to swipe up to "throw them away." It's that kind of "intuitive" bullshit that I hate.

Does that sufficiently solidify my tech-curmudgeon cred?

Just use Xamarin (not forms though that poo poo stinks) and bask in the C# glory (albeit lowest common denominator UI).

I actually have a Pixel 2 and it is awesome, I have an iPad Mini 4 it's also awesome, a Tab S2 which is meh, Macbook which is great for Visual Studio and Android Studio and a PC for some games, even Blizzard ones.

Stop hating on poo poo nerds.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mugaaz posted:

Blizzard announced announced Diablo mobile after years of people begging for Diablo 4 on PC - Everyone reacted negatively.

Maybe it has everything to do with them giving off the appearance of abandoning their current fans to try their hand at greener pastures? All it would have taken is a D4 teaser announcement at Blizzcon and no one would be complaining.

They explicitly said ahead of the convention that they are working on a new Diablo but would not be announcing it at Blizzcon.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

I'm extremely hype for the warcraft 3 remake

I am embarrassingly hype for it.

Relevant to the thread, I may actually have to buy a computer to play it. I still use the computer I used to play it on, which is basically just an electric typewriter to me now.

I hope they release a mobile version. Or a console version. they won't

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

mango sentinel posted:

They explicitly said ahead of the convention that they are working on a new Diablo but would not be announcing it at Blizzcon.

That worked out really well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

iOS owns, diablo 3 sucks like all blizzard games now. Welp see ya