Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Oops, totally misread that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Isn't the upcoming Kickstarter supposed to have an updated print copy? That's what I've been holding out for.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's going to be a new print version? :stwoon: Where do I get in?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tias posted:

There's going to be a new print version? :stwoon: Where do I get in?

The Occult Philosophy Kickstarter starts on November 12th.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh, I thought it was the core rules. Carry on!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tias posted:

Oh, I thought it was the core rules. Carry on!

It is. You can presumably pledge high enough or grab an add-on for an updated core rule book.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
i just picked up a physical rule book, are the errata intense enough that I should've gotten an updated copy?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

i just picked up a physical rule book, are the errata intense enough that I should've gotten an updated copy?

No, all the important stuff is in the pdf. This looks like its mostly aimed at new players and those who really want the new art (it is not clear how much new art will be in the book).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Anyone else feel like the magician is the weakest of the four novice paths? It gets a lot of spells, sure, but it's got such low HP and no natural defensive options that I feel like you kind of have to take Arcana or Protection to really buff yourself up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyone else feel like the magician is the weakest of the four novice paths? It gets a lot of spells, sure, but it's got such low HP and no natural defensive options that I feel like you kind of have to take Arcana or Protection to really buff yourself up.

Not at all. It's definitely outclassed by some of the variant novice paths outside the core book, but having access to lots of traditions (and totally free choice in what they are, unlike a priest) without having to sacrifice higher-level spells is a big deal.

They do take a while (and the addition of other paths) to really shine -- I'd say when level 3 spells come online is when spellcasters of any kind start to take off -- but even so.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 4, 2018

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I just had a great first session GM'ing SotDL!

I got a group of old friends together, most of whom are not gamers. We created 0 level characters and played Dead by Dawn. I definitely pulled punches and was super generous with boons, because it was clear that everyone was pretty attached to the characters they made and I didn't want to frustrate new players by having them die right away. And they caught a super bad wave of zombies/animated corpses that would have definitely felled most of them. Level 0 was great, though, for introducing the concept of the game without having to worry too much about mechanics.

They were really pumped about doing another session and were already throwing out ideas for how they would further investigate the events they just lived through.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Occult Philosophy Kickstarter is live!

Looks like a lotta interesting stuff in the stretch goals, and the add-ons will pretty much let you grab anything that's been produced so far at a decent bargain price.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tracker is already at $14k so I don't think the funding will be an issue, I do hope it makes it to at least the $50k mark as I'm quite interested in Vault of the Demon Lord and Men of Gog

I guess offset printing would also be nice

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Getting another companion would also be great, both books have added to the table.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I actively do not want 800 spells added to this game, and the de-grim-ified book isn't a stretch goal unlock, so I guess I'm not backing that.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

I actively do not want 800 spells added to this game, and the de-grim-ified book isn't a stretch goal unlock, so I guess I'm not backing that.

Spells are good and cool, nerd.

Also you get only about 16 spells at most if you go Magician, do 3 traditions, and go into standard wizardy paths beyond that, and many of the new spells are 6+ so PCs are never going to get to use them bar the GM gifting them a scroll of it. I really wouldn't worry about it if you're having D&D flashbacks or something.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 12, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SunAndSpring posted:

Spells are good and cool, nerd.

Also you get only about 16 spells at most if you go Magician, do 3 traditions, and go into standard wizardy paths beyond that, and many of the new spells are 6+ so PCs are never going to get to use them bar the GM gifting them a scroll of it. I really wouldn't worry about it if you're having D&D flashbacks or something.
This is actually a thought I had that makes me think twice before backing - it's already so unlikely you're going to use a given core book spell in your campaign that I don't feel a great desire for a book of even more spells that are effectively only given by DM fiat. The spells I saw during playtesting seemed awesome and thematic, but I doubt I'd end up using more than a few at the table. I was hoping he was going to make this the core book for levels 10-20. If it's just a list of optional, add-on items, exclusively for spellcasting paths, it seems a bit niche for the $20 cost.

That said I want schwalb to keep making games and am kinda tempted to back anyway because sotdl rules, but this particular book does not appeal much to me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

One thing I'd like to do with all these new spells is devise a random table for spells by level. So when you level up you can choose 1 spell or roll randomly for 2 spells and see what you get.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm at 50 (for now), but put me down for "gosh, I do NOT need more spells."

NOW! If he adds in a Spell Index or whatever? One big final list for all the spells in the game, along with their locations in whatever books they are in? I'm down. The game is great, but without a wiki or something (RIP), it's unwieldy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's extremely unwieldy and the fact he never condensed all those 10-20 page supplements into reference book form...well, it sucks. That and Shwab's juvenile edgelord poo poo is the only thing I'd change.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, I'm at 50 (for now), but put me down for "gosh, I do NOT need more spells."

NOW! If he adds in a Spell Index or whatever? One big final list for all the spells in the game, along with their locations in whatever books they are in? I'm down. The game is great, but without a wiki or something (RIP), it's unwieldy.

This exists!

https://schwalbentertainment.com/play-aids/shadow-of-the-demon-lord-reference-tables/

It doesn't give any details about what a spell does but it does tell you name, school, and where to find the rules text.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Are there going to be new Paths to get with this book or is just 800 spells (of which like 400 are usable in standard campaigns)?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This exists!

https://schwalbentertainment.com/play-aids/shadow-of-the-demon-lord-reference-tables/

It doesn't give any details about what a spell does but it does tell you name, school, and where to find the rules text.
Looks like he added some constraining user interface around this...I liked the big list.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Are there going to be new Paths to get with this book or is just 800 spells (of which like 400 are usable in standard campaigns)?

It does state in the kickstarter that there will be new Paths. If nothing else there's at least one new Tradition, which I'm assuming will get it's corresponding Path.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Very good to see that even if the offset printing stretch goal is reached, backers have the option of sticking with the POD coupon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is actually a thought I had that makes me think twice before backing - it's already so unlikely you're going to use a given core book spell in your campaign that I don't feel a great desire for a book of even more spells that are effectively only given by DM fiat. The spells I saw during playtesting seemed awesome and thematic, but I doubt I'd end up using more than a few at the table. I was hoping he was going to make this the core book for levels 10-20. If it's just a list of optional, add-on items, exclusively for spellcasting paths, it seems a bit niche for the $20 cost.

That said I want schwalb to keep making games and am kinda tempted to back anyway because sotdl rules, but this particular book does not appeal much to me.

Yea I may not use it much since, thankfully unlike D&D no matter how many piles of spells they add magic has a very static state of being pretty rare and more designed for DM/player planning for what they want. I'll still probably back just to have the options and support the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You think this one was backed quickly, just wait for the one with 800 chargen tables.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

At level 10 you find a *really* interesting thing - roll on this table of 1000.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spells are the real engine of character customization in this game, though. (Or at least, like 50% of it.)

It's not quite a fair comparison.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some previews from the book, showing off some of my least-favorite aspects of SotDL:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

:thatssotdl:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Rereading the core book and the magic master paths are a real mixed bag. Either you get strong stuff like Destroyer, which turns the self-damage limiting factor of Destruction into free damage against your enemies and makes all 1s into 6s on damage, or you get poo poo like Pyromancer which gives you a lame fire resistance and a chance to immolate your foes but it never explains how much damage being on fire does. The non-caster ones are more consistent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There are rules for being on fire but yeah, pretty inconvenient that they're not right there next to that ability.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There are rules for being on fire but yeah, pretty inconvenient that they're not right there next to that ability.
SotDL.txt

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that the de-grim-ified book is not something that Schwalb is particularly interested in doing. Which is fine, I can trim the maggot infested, putrescent fat. I just want it in a pretty book supporting the authors.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Shorter SotDL "darkness": What if magic, but you poop demons?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that the de-grim-ified book is not something that Schwalb is particularly interested in doing. Which is fine, I can trim the maggot infested, putrescent fat. I just want it in a pretty book supporting the authors.

Yeah, it feels like the grim is something that he considers required to the product he wants to make. Sometimes I agree and sometimes (like above) it feels really unnecessary.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Grim is fine, "lol your dick turns into poop and falls off" is stupid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This is Evil Dead and I love it for it, warts and all.

It's fine if you personally don't like that in your elfgames, but don't kink shame.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is Evil Dead and I love it for it, warts and all.

It's fine if you personally don't like that in your elfgames, but don't kink shame.

It's so Evil Dead I've decided whenever I finally get to run Dead by Dawn I'm gonna be hamming it up with so much Deadite stuff. That and having added a deactivated "Chop-Bot" in the taverns shed that has a broken chainsaw for an arm.