Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Bloodly posted:

Maniac is also acceptable.

If you're materialist you *need* the psionics trait for the tech to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HiKaizer posted:

Sorry Mardak Vol, I can't put you in colony ships because of you culture shock.

Shove some cybernetics in them first.

ulmont posted:

You need a scientist with the psionic trait as materialist which is extremely tough to get as materialist (there’s like one event or you luck out from allied races).

One of my explorers just randomly rolled Psionics Specialization. I'd be tempted if he wasn't Meticulous, I wasn't a hundred years from wanting psionics, and going for synths (Cybernetics, at least) anyway.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Dareon posted:

Shove some cybernetics in them first.

I'd love to but the event force opens the dialogue in about 1 in game year I think. There's a specific date that they all day anyway. So in this game save using the console to blatantly cheat there's no way to save the Mardak Vol for me.

Also doesn't the Curator trait when you hire one also work for popping Psionic tech?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Apparently not! And especially not for Materialists. The code's in Stellaris\common\technology\00_soc_tech.txt if anyone cares to look, but the numbers are:

Neither Spiritualist or Fanatic Spiritualist: 0.5
Psionics expert, level 3+: 1.1
Psionics expert, level 4+: 1.5
Psionics expert, level 5+: 2
Fanatic Spiritualist: 2
Maniacal: 5
Materialist or Fanatic Materialist and not Psionics expert: 0

These all get multiplied together with the baseline weighting, so a non-spiritualist, non-material empire with a non-maniacal, non-psionicist researcher has 50% baseline chance for the tech to pop. A fanatic spiritualist empire with a maniacal level 5 psionics expert researcher has 20 times the baseline chance. Any materialist, non-psionicist will completely block the tech from appearing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

BrandorKP posted:

That works for the exterminators too.

Statement: All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Statement: The wicked will not go unpunished.
Conclusion: All must be punished. We have completed the punishment of all sinners among our creators; we must continue our mission.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I decided I needed 14 defense platforms near Earth but I'm bankrupting my empire to do so. I am a good ruler.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: synthetics and machine empires should be able to salvage psionic benefits from the fleets of psychics. The brains are right there. We can make them a strategic resource.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Vargatron posted:

I decided I needed 14 defense platforms near Earth but I'm bankrupting my empire to do so. I am a good ruler.

But you said on the campaign trail that the Gorblaxans would pay for it! :colbert:

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
New Wiztweets:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062270549982883840

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062273298678104064

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062320727758643200

Looks like the FE's are getting some new toys.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Quorum posted:

But you said on the campaign trail that the Gorblaxans would pay for it! :colbert:

I'm actually building up my military so I can bully empires into joining a federation with me.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Well drat that looks like a reason to nerve staple to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Well drat that looks like a reason to nerve staple to me.

Yes it does. Hopefully if you do biological ascension you can set a policy to auto-nerve staple any pops that end up in a manual labor job.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One last tweet for the Preserve. I'm glad they thought about this, rescuing otherwise extinct species from it has always been one of my favorite things to do as a xenophile empire.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062324243671728128

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

One last tweet for the Preserve. I'm glad they thought about this, rescuing otherwise extinct species from it has always been one of my favorite things to do as a xenophile empire.

Looks like there is some mechanic for preventing pops from growing/dying on the FE worlds.

Which is perfect, since it'll give me more pop types to assimilate into the hive.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That is the case now, too. Fallen Empires will not grow new pops on any world, nor will they expand or build new ships (even when attacked).

This also why they have a tendency to fall apart after awakening since they can't support themselves with whatever they had built at the time and can't catch up quickly enough.

Maybe the changes to planets will change that as well. Some of the new buildings certainly look OP as gently caress. Such nice, juicy targets.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Torrannor posted:

:gizz: :gizz:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've still got concerns over the building slot system. Slots are opened purely from population, but often don't provide as many jobs as it costs to unlock them, or no jobs at all. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it and figuring it all out. Still have no idea how we can science-specialize a planet though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Districts will provide more job slots as well so people can work even without a building to be in.

Part of balancing your empire is probably going to involve knowing when to expand to keep growing and when you're going too fast and now have a bunch of underdeveloped, over populated hell holes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Baronjutter posted:

I've still got concerns over the building slot system. Slots are opened purely from population, but often don't provide as many jobs as it costs to unlock them, or no jobs at all. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it and figuring it all out. Still have no idea how we can science-specialize a planet though.

Science planet is easy. City Districts + Science Buildings.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Torrannor posted:

Do the Xeno Keepers give out belly rubs?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/318305589?collection=p0qlrJ_VURUELg

From around 24:20 you can see each basic planet district gets you two jobs. So if you have a size 25 planet with enough unlockable deposits that's 50 jobs, let's say 40 to account for city districts, which is enough gainfully employed people for 8 building slots to fill up with science related stuff. More if you're OK with unemployed pops.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What kind of ethics would be appropriate for GDI and Nod. I feel like fanatic spiritualist + militarist for Nod, maybe fanatic egalitarian and materialist for GDI?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
GDI became a world government, but not by choice. Egalitarian and Militarist. Their duty is still as it's always been, defend against all threats.

NOD are spiritualist, but the foundation of their stuff is alien tech. They do not deny this, and their stuff is often hyper-advanced because of it. It makes as much sense for them to be Authoritarian-The logo for that is even a Hand of Nod, after all. Authoritarian, Militarist, Spiritual is the closest, I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GDI: Authoritarian, materialist, militarist. Run academic privilege.

NOD: Spiritualist, militarist, xenophile.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
GDI: Militarist, Materialist, Egalitarian
NOD: Authoritarian, Spiritualist, Militarist

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

After nearing crisis-time in a huge low-empire game I'm really feeling all the station sentiments in this thread. The Khan is gearing up for trouble, and I'm probably gonna have to reinforce a lot of choke points with new defense stations, and the prospect of clicking all those buttons for eternity is making me depressed enough to start a new game.

Edit: gently caress, I want the authoritarian advisor to tell me secrets on a luxurious rug by a fireplace. What a voice.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 14, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

OwlFancier posted:

GDI: Authoritarian, materialist, militarist. Run academic privilege.

NOD: Spiritualist, militarist, xenophile.

Your GDI is wrong because they still hold elections, and authoritarians can't do that.

Your NOD is the best one so far though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Does Nod fit with Spiritualist as Stellaris presents it? As I recall, they were pretty down with transhumanism and turning people into robots or cyborgs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Your GDI is wrong because they still hold elections, and authoritarians can't do that.

Can't they be oligarchies?

You need to be running caste system or academic privilege at least because the whole point of GDI is that they are the military arm of the wealthy first world nations trying to keep the rest of the world being ravaged by tiberium out of their countries.

Skippy McPants posted:

Does Nod fit with Spiritualist as Stellaris presents it? As I recall, they were pretty down with transhumanism and turning people into robots or cyborgs.

It doesn't fit their cyborg/ai bent but I think their weird cult element is more essential for the feel and you gotta pick one. You could pursue it regardless and then you also have the unrest problems accurately simulated :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 14, 2018

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

a bunch of underdeveloped, over populated hell holes.

The approved classification is "Hive Worlds", ratling.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Are the tiles gone yet?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: gently caress, I want the authoritarian advisor to tell me secrets on a luxurious rug by a fireplace. What a voice.

I never run authoritarian, but I almost always run that adviser voice.

Edit: a cool change to differentiate between "frontline" stations and shipyards would be to allow star-bases with crew quarters to upgrade ships. It's an elegant solution to not having to build one shipyard in front line stations so that you can refit ships while they are docked there, and also stops there from being reinforcement spaghetti.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 14, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm home sick and I've just worked out that the game I've been trying to find in my steam library is post-LeGuin Stellaris. Which is disappointing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
More teasers on primitive civilizations for today, some of them showing off some pretty new pieces of art for the resource deposits:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062682611368296449

With this critical milestone reached that can only mean release is right around the corner...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

More teasers on primitive civilizations for today, some of them showing off some pretty new pieces of art for the resource deposits:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1062682611368296449

With this critical milestone reached that can only mean release is right around the corner...

It better not be, I've just started Holy Fury. Until I reform the Roman Empire (again...), there must not be a new Stellaris DLC.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
They are generally pretty close to release when they stop having particularly interesting things to tease. Not that fallen empire and primitive buildings aren't cool, but, you know.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

willing to settle posted:

They are generally pretty close to release when they stop having particularly interesting things to tease. Not that fallen empire and primitive buildings aren't cool, but, you know.

Or it could have the opposite reason, that they're behind schedule. Remember, last week's dev diary was supposed to show of the slave market, but it wasn't ready.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

Or it could have the opposite reason, that they're behind schedule. Remember, last week's dev diary was supposed to show of the slave market, but it wasn't ready.

It was working okish in the development clash but still need ui tweaks iirc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rumda posted:

It was working okish in the development clash but still need ui tweaks iirc

iirc it worked alright in the dev clash last week because whoever used it was putting up an entire species for slavery and whatever problem they were coming across comes up when some but not all pops of a species in the game are put up on the slave market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Question:

A buddy of mine is looking to get into the game, but now with how many expansions are out the price is making him a bit wary. Are there any plans to do like a bundle or something with all the DLC or at least the older ones?

Or should I just tell him to wait for a Black Friday/Christmas Steam sale?