Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You wouldn't set fire to this face, would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

I started playing. I’m on peaceful. Should I start over with that off?

I've literally never played on not-peaceful, this way I can build things without being forced to ponder the moral cost.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Embrace your inner Once-ler.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Turning off biters means not being able to shell them with nuclear hellfire. A true waste if you ask me.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Artillery is really fun, too!

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

euphronius posted:

Seems somewhat genocidal !!

Welcome to Factorio

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Omg I have to get green bottles to the science labs too??

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

necrotic posted:

Belts for life. I only use bots in random areas like my mall and nuclear power. For the meat and potatoes it's belts all the way down.

Counterpoint, I just finished getting high tech science (aka yellow) running in my bob's angels game using belts only and it took me about 2h to setup the production line. for about 0.3 vials per second. :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

euphronius posted:

Omg I have to get green bottles to the science labs too??

:allears: yup. And the gray bottles, blue bottles, purple bottles, yellow bottles....

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Toast Museum posted:

No.

I'd fill it with lasers.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Fire is so much more fun.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
After a few games using a main bus, I got sick of that style and decided to go with a rail-connected outpost play. Also decided to get Lazy Bastard, Steam All The Way, and Logistic Network Embargo (since I'd probably be beating the game before being able to set up much of a network anyway).

This was my first game with using rails in a major way -- usually only used them to feed from the mines / oil fields before. Picked a map with a good amount of water so it'd be easier to wall up a defensible position.

Learned a ton of stuff, mostly lessons I thought I learned already but not as well as I needed to.

One, don't economize on space when building train stations. I figured since I was going to use single-cars on one-way rails, I didn't need a huge amount of space on the tracks for the trains themselves. This was wrong.

I'm safely parked on the tracks due to deadlock - once I added additional trains to handle the demand, they no longer had anywhere to go when their destinations were occupied by the original train put on that circuit. This blocked all other trains down the line since I only had a couple main railway routes:

You can see on the lower right I did make one parking lot for the spot I expected heavy traffic -- my mall:

I had to wait until I had filter inserters before I built it. Hooking up the leads were pretty easy. It was much more complicated setting up a train depot for my science center:

That's the entirity of my research complex, using some blueprints I found. I added battery and blue circuit production on the far left. I just added up how many full and half belts were needed and added in the appropriate ratios of feeder stations. This is the closest I got to a main bus. Also, you can see my parasitic feeder lines in the south end of there leading to my tacked-on space center (shown fully in the first image).

But deadlock is a killer. I had to periodically open a train waiting at a station that would never fill and tell it to go somewhere so things could get moving again. This is a closeup of the feeder stations for my green circuit outpost, adjacent to copper processing:

So, once my first copper deposit was nearing exhaustion, I made my next one more traffic-friendly by having not one, but two pickup stations (using the same name for both so the trains would just use whichever is available:

But anyway. Beat the game. Going to play another and get it right this time.

[edit]
Oh, and Two: I never figured signals out. I think I started out with the mnemonic backwards but finally started setting them up with signals in, chain out. Never got my 4-way intersection to work correctly though, only one car at a time was ever allowed in it.

Three - coal fields drain alarmingly fast when you don't start using solar in mid-game.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 14, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You do have it backwards. You want chain signals when entering an intersection and through the middle, and a regular signal at the exit.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Well gently caress.

Not that it matters, they had no room to move anyway. I also could not settle on a loading/offloading belt layout for my stations.

The fourth lesson is you can get nearly all the achievements in the game while still being a terrible player.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Toast Museum posted:

This is amazing. Did you make it?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

LLSix posted:

Looks like the renders they use in FFF posts. Probably came from a post discussing high-res bugs.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LLSix posted:

I wish, but no, it's from last Friday's post.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Why just build when you can overbuild? (Py HighTech)

Circuit board 1 automated (besides management of non-LTN trains):

Circuit board 2 fully automated: :psyboom:

That's about 450 LTN stations running 1-2 trains and 1GW electric network (solid fuel steam). The expansion jutting off to the right of the bootstrap base near the top is a mostly chest-fed sushi/bloodbus belt that trickled out some initial circuit board 2 units (only one building per production step, high latency of material transfer due to the shared loop belt). Those circuit board 2 units went into LTN train stops and logistic chests for the mall.

Mall block:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Ever since I watched a train I was in decide to turn left and go around the entire perimeter of my base in a three minute trip, rather than turn right for a trip of about 20-30 second I've always hated loops. Did they ever fix that sort of pathing logic?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Galvanik posted:

Ever since I watched a train I was in decide to turn left and go around the entire perimeter of my base in a three minute trip, rather than turn right for a trip of about 20-30 second I've always hated loops. Did they ever fix that sort of pathing logic?

The only time I've seen mine do that is when my signaling is hosed up, so maybe not?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I haven't seen any pathing problems with trains, but I've certainly seen a lot of cases of me being dumb with signals or having loops that can only be entered from one direction, or having a station facing the wrong way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Galvanik posted:

It may help to understand the pathing logic: https://wiki.factorio.com/Railway/Train_path_finding

In particular, trains like open track, they really like track without other trains on it, and they don't like going places that's signaled against them.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I just fired up Sea Block again with 0.16, and they made some fairly refreshing changes - specifically, the green algae <-> CO2 loop is a lot more net positive, so you're not immediately losing half of your generated coal making the next batch of algae. Additionally, making the first wash from a washing plant give you H2S has solved the sulfuric acid deficit problem. The wood system is a nice touch, though having small islands of resources kinda goes against the seablock "vibe". THere's still no way to dispose of your massive surplus of late game sodium hydroxide though

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh those new high res belts, I'm in love.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh those new high res belts, I'm in love.

Yeah they look really good. And 0.17 is slated to drop some time in January!

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

"As a bonus, the underground belt structure has a variant which shows a hole when you side-load into the underground belt."

Wow this is well done.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

You're not kidding. That's a great change, even without the other stuff

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

zegermans posted:

I just fired up Sea Block again with 0.16, and they made some fairly refreshing changes - specifically, the green algae <-> CO2 loop is a lot more net positive, so you're not immediately losing half of your generated coal making the next batch of algae. Additionally, making the first wash from a washing plant give you H2S has solved the sulfuric acid deficit problem. The wood system is a nice touch, though having small islands of resources kinda goes against the seablock "vibe". THere's still no way to dispose of your massive surplus of late game sodium hydroxide though

To be fair, that's an issue with Bob's Mod in general. My non-Sea Block game has that and sulfur as items that slowly back up. I think you could address it by recombining them into something liquid/gaseous and then clarifying/flare stacking the excess. Which is something I wish I could do with the poo poo tons of copper ore.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

To be fair, that's an issue with Bob's Mod in general. My non-Sea Block game has that and sulfur as items that slowly back up. I think you could address it by recombining them into something liquid/gaseous and then clarifying/flare stacking the excess. Which is something I wish I could do with the poo poo tons of copper ore.

I don't scale-up until you unlock the multi angel ore -> single metallic ore output recipes for the sorting facility. Sulfur you can just turn into acid and flare off, but there's nothing with sodium hydroxide - which is silly, you'd think you could just mix it with any acid waste water to generate purified or some poo poo.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Sage Grimm posted:

In my last seablock game I used warehouses to buffer each ore output, wired up to redirect your ore precursors from the 'little bit of everything' chain to the less efficient but specialized individual ore processing chains whenever a particular ore drops under 50%. Not sure how it would work with mined precursors though.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Been playing a lightly modded game and having fun on a rail world map. I'm trying to prepare for a bigger base but there's so much water in the way! Guess I'll have to up the production of landfill...

Dedicated modules factory

Main "starter" base.

Exploring with artillery:

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

For some reason I cannot void White Liquor. Otherwise the Sodium Hydroxide can be pushed to that with a bit of sulfuric acid, voiding both sodium hydroxide and sulfur in the same loop.

I think I have managed to get everything under control finally on this seablock run. My "feed everything into a buffer" base now has a large mall and has graduated to a bootstraps base. I can start building a real base here. I feel like I'm really tired of all of the ore sorting, so I might just go with the direct ore recipe for each one of them, just for simplicity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man did I underestimate how much iron I need. Holy cow.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

euphronius posted:

Man did I underestimate how much iron I need. Holy cow.

Press "P" and screenshot it to show us what you mean by underestimate.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm having a lot of fun with my current base. It's the first time I've toyed at transitioning to a not-quite-mega-base and I've been doing a lot of experimenting transitioning form belts+bus to bots for anything more than personal logistics. I think a big part of this came from turning off biters. The complete lack of any kind of time pressure outside of some early-game power issues made experimenting a lot more relaxing and fun and expansion a lot less of a grind.

It's also, 600+ hours later, the first time I've been considering installing something like Bob's/Angel's. I never really got the appeal before. That said, I'll probably wait and do one more vanilla-ish run when the next update hits first.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Never enough iron copper iron copper iron oil.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

necrotic posted:

Never enough iron copper iron copper iron oil lubricant.

FTFY. Only just now got enough production going for the current consumption into belts and electric motors. Expansion will have to wait when I've got a decent consolidation pattern built out for Angel/Bob's mod petroleum.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Pretty sure Bob's has a coal -> heavy oil only recipe.

Finished my Bobs & SpaceX run, 96 hours. I think at the end I was launching something like 1.5 rockets / minute.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dootman posted:

Press "P" and screenshot it to show us what you mean by underestimate.

I didn’t leave enough room to easily add iron streams into the bus

I’ll work on a screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nevets posted:

Pretty sure Bob's has a coal -> heavy oil only recipe.

Finished my Bobs & SpaceX run, 96 hours. I think at the end I was launching something like 1.5 rockets / minute.
did you do this solo? that's a crazy fast time. How many blueprints did you develop? Piiiics.