Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

There are people who insist Breaking Bad became bad at some point.

Yes, the finale after he finds the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

By the way before you start I thought the decline begun in season 4 not 3

Same. It's bad in the sense it's not as good as old GoT, and the dialogue in general has taken a downturn when they stopped cribbing GURM's stuff and changed from the books.

Honestly my biggest downer w/r/t the show is most of the good actors' characters died off. Harrington and Clarke being at the forefront now with 0 chemistry and bad acting really takes its toll lmbo.

It's still a very well made fantasy show I just like making GBS threads on it cause it isn't as good as it used to be, and started veering from the books in awkward ways before they even ran out of book material.

I mean ffs Dorne was soooooooooooooo undeniably poo poo in the show. Even from a technical perspective!

Lycus posted:

Of course, the source material after the third book is bad so,

aFfC is lowkey my fave book fight me

Dance needed some serious editing tho

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do know a few season 3 elitists (across the wider internet, not here) when it comes to BB and I think it’s some like “it has less action overall therefore it’s more intellectual and I am smart for liking it” and saying it went really downhill after that. S3 is certainly a great candidate for best season but it’s just so weird

I would say the final season of Sopranos (6 pt 2) is the best stretch of the series, but that’s the only example I can think of of a show’s heights being past s5

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

I don't think there's any scripted show that had its best episodes/run after season 5.

South Park

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah and Simpsons too (come at me motherfuckers)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I do know a few season 3 elitists (across the wider internet, not here) when it comes to BB and I think it’s some like “it has less action overall therefore it’s more intellectual and I am smart for liking it” and saying it went really downhill after that. S3 is certainly a great candidate for best season but it’s just so weird

I would say the final season of Sopranos (6 pt 2) is the best stretch of the series, but that’s the only example I can think of of a show’s heights being past s5

I tired a rewatch of the Sopranos a couple of years ago, I got to Columbus Day and just kind of stopped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What I was thinking too. Until that awful pewdiepie stuff, s18 was absolutely fantastic.

Always Sunny has a lot of really excellent stuff after s5 too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I tired a rewatch of the Sopranos a couple of years ago, I got to Columbus Day and just kind of stopped.

This news saddens me, but that is by far the worst episode of the whole show, so I can’t exactly argue against your decision.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Who the heck did he play in GoT?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LadyPictureShow posted:

The dude the mountain demolished.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was the guy from Dorne who fought the Mountain at Tyrion’s trial by combat

e: above is a much better way of saying it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Travelers s3 premieres December 14th. Last season slayed and ended on a major cliffhanger so I'm pumped.

Lol also Netflix cancelled that Tony Danza/Josh Grobin show

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't think there's any scripted show that had its best episodes/run after season 5.

Always Sunny also

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Oberyn_Martell

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Always Sunny

Lmao beaten like crazy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always Sunny has most definitely had a lot of its best individual episodes past s5, but I’m not sure about an actual stretch. Then again even the earlier DeVito seasons have one or two less good eps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would absolutely argue the best seasons of Always Sunny are all past 5 but I can't be arsed to look up which ones those are. I wanna say like, uh, 7 or 9 or 10 but that's totally going off memory

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I would absolutely argue the best seasons of Always Sunny are all past 5 but I can't be arsed to look up which ones those are. I wanna say like, uh, 7 or 9 or 10 but that's totally going off memory

Vulture has a ranking (a lot of which I don't really agree with), and a ton from s7 I believe were really high up there. It has Frank's Brother in it which is widely hated (I think it's fine personally, and worth it just for the Shady Nasty's joke) but also has Franks Little Beauties, Chardee MacDennis, Anti Social Network, Gang Gets Trapped, and Thundergun Express so it's a really good year for them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Franks Brother is great simply because of Lance Reddick.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

GreenNight posted:

The dude the mountain demolished.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

muscles like this! posted:

Franks Brother is great simply because of Lance Reddick.

Everything is made great by adding Lance Reddick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Vulture has a ranking (a lot of which I don't really agree with), and a ton from s7 I believe were really high up there. It has Frank's Brother in it which is widely hated (I think it's fine personally, and worth it just for the Shady Nasty's joke) but also has Franks Little Beauties, Chardee MacDennis, Anti Social Network, Gang Gets Trapped, and Thundergun Express so it's a really good year for them.

Oh yeah then 7 is definitely one of their best. It seems to me that 7 through 10 in general was an insanely solid run

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Law and Order, binch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for the day GoT finale chat gets banned from this thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

I can't wait for the day GoT finale chat gets banned from this thread

You think we'll be alive and posting in 2029

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

You think we'll be alive and posting in 2029

GoT, not ASoIaF, which will never finish at all.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
prequels all the way down

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

GoT, not ASoIaF, which will never finish at all.

It really is astonishing he couldn't get it done. When GoT was announced people were joking about it but here it is, it happened, the show finished before the books. Have any other authors basically wholly abanandoned their insanely popular series of books? I know ACD tried to but the people wouldn't let him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone will finish ASoIaF after he dies.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

precision posted:

James S.A. Corey

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Brandon Sanderson takes over and the last three (?) books get done, but now Westeros has no swearing, no nudity, no drinking and everyone gets married before they gently caress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

It really is astonishing he couldn't get it done. When GoT was announced people were joking about it but here it is, it happened, the show finished before the books. Have any other authors basically wholly abanandoned their insanely popular series of books? I know ACD tried to but the people wouldn't let him.

Honestly if I was that dude I woulda hired a ghost writer ages ago. Just give him the outline.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

iirc he has it in his will to have his notes destroyed and not let anyone finish it.

He 100% romanticizes the idea of his work going unfinished like Tolkien lmbo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He should've just stuck with going for a trilogy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Were they? I don't read spoilers as a rule so

For example here's someone who has never read the spoilers and has already made up his mind about their accuracy :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol fair enough

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Last season's spoilers were like beat for beat correct, yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t those spoilers come out quite a long time before the show aired too?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler for season eight: Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are Rey's parents.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That's no dumber than the actual Episode IX spoilers that I read, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

iirc he has it in his will to have his notes destroyed and not let anyone finish it.

He 100% romanticizes the idea of his work going unfinished like Tolkien lmbo

Yeah but he'll be dead and at some point nobody in control of those rights will care and/or will want money