Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What's the bee content like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Wickerman was great. It was filmed largely around Newton Stewart, where I went to school.

I love the opening credits, as the plane is flying over the water with that bagpipe music or whatever it is playing over it. A very serene and meditative way to start the film, which is totally appropriate.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TrixRabbi posted:

What's the bee content like?

Don't think they have them. It's apples, not honey, in the original.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

OK let's make it official. TrixRabbi I order you to watch

TrixRabbi posted:

The Wicker Man (1973) - Another abysmal remake I've seen without the classic. (Added 9/19/2018)

Easy Rider

Two guys, two motorbikes and a stash of cash go on a roadtrip.
There's not much of a plot. There is some great music.

Wyatt (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) meet many groups of people on their travels. There's always at least a little uncomfortableness between the hosts and visitors, be it the catholic family, hippie commune or small towners.
The leaders of these established communities see the pair as undesirable, and a potential dangerous influence, and this gets more outwardly hostile with each new community they encounter culminating in the cafe scene where the men are making disparaging remarks but the girls are all fascinated with them and they have to leave before violence occurs.

Jack Nicholson has one of his early major roles here as an alcoholic ACLU layer who they meet in jail. He has the most character development. He's a big man a little town and the only establishment figure who accepts the duo and rejects the role he'd been born into. It's a strong performance from Nicholson.

So... That ending. That was dark and abrupt. The film takes a sharp turn after Jack Nicholson is killed, but even so I did not see that coming.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Avengers: Infinity War Major superhero fatigue.

2) (comedy) Office Space gently caress Printers

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) Slumdog Millionaire I've enjoyed Danny Boyle's other films

5) (foreign language) Cinema Paradiso This forum's namesake

6) (Monster) Dracula (1958) I've never seen a Hammer Horror

7) (Horror) Freaks (1932) It's an interesting concept

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Ghost in the Shell (1995) I don't know much anime

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

10) (wildcard) Quardophenia mods vs rockers

Watched (42): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

2) (comedy) Office Space gently caress Printers

Next one for you.

Trouble in Paradise - A man and woman target French and Italian royalty as they make off with oodles of $$$ and loot. The thieves are presented as likeable people and it feels like you should be rooting for them at times.

The main story features their latest prey: a wealthy perfume heiress. A tenuous love triangle forms (with two adjacent schmucks who are confused for the duration). It brought to mind The Story of a Cheat (1936) and two great comedies from 1988: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and A Fish Called Wanda.

It features hilarious dialogue throughout. It's one of those rare films that's able to simultaneously make fun of the rich and the poor. The aloofness of the rich and the huffy subjective moralizing of others intermingled with jealousy.

Also watched:

Captain Phillips - We open with angry Somalian pirates living in their dump and the anxiety of Captain Phillips as he nears this hotbed of piracy. His solution is to run drills that ultimately really don't matter.

So much of the film is just angry Somalians glaring and screaming at each other (and eventually the crew of USS Alabama). Wide-eyed pirates aiming large guns and screaming in broken English. As the pirates reach the ship the dreary crew makes confused and perplexed faces, shooting off their impotent firehoses, scurrying around like helpless rats before cowering in the engine room. At times the passivity feels like stuff from MacGyver (1985-1992).

The pirates threaten to kill the Captain dozens of times but never do. We get variations of this line many times: "Yankee, give me ten million American dollars right now or I'll kill you and your whole crew!"

It's just not much of a story and not good source material. It's a weeklong big-budget carjacking with a lean story. Again, I cannot overstate how much of this 2.5 hour film is just guys wildly pointing guns around, screaming their heads off and pressing large caliber handguns and machine guns into Captain Phillips head repeatedly.

Finally, dispassionate, characterless and robotic Navy SEALs arrive to finish this and smoke all these pirates. The primary settings are very confined too. It feels like Phone Booth (2002) except there's no payoff or tension (because I knew how this story ended).

This film evoked memories of some other recent disappointing films that look great but have stale and/or sanitized stories. Many remakes today feel like sanitized retellings from yesteryear. Like a story from a previous generation being told with all the controversial, interesting, scandalous stuff redacted so that it has no edge.

I think of American Sniper (2014) and how it glossed over Chris Kyle's actual murder. A golden opportunity to speak on PTSD flushed down the toilet. I think of the strange new Star Wars sequels and how they might become apocryphal in the long-term.

On the good side there is Sully (2016). Now there's a story worth retelling. It's not everyday a guy lands a plane of that size on a river.

James Bond versus Godzilla (32/64 completed):

Academy Award for Best Directing (89/91 completed):

1929 The Divine Lady - A love story of some sort. 2/27/18

1928 7th Heaven - Not to be confused with the TV show featuring the pedophile dad. 8/10/18

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (85/100 completed):

#76 Van Gogh - A film about the last days of the eventually famous painter. 7/13/18

#82 The Party - I haven't seen too many Blake Edwards films. 7/13/18

#93 Lola (1961) - I have seen Run Lola Run but not Lola Montès or this one. 8/15/18

Netflix's 20 Years. 20 Movies. (17/20 completed):

2011 The Lincoln Lawyer - The most popular rental of 2011 and I haven't even heard of it. That's funny. 8/27/18

2007 The Bucket List - I remember Roger Ebert raging about this one but that evidently didn't stop it from being the most popular rental of 2007. 8/27/18

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (90/100 completed):

#37 Faces - I've heard a lot about this one. 9/13/18

new #45 Written on the Wind - I haven't seen many of Douglas Sirk's films. 9/25/18

new #76 Lost in America - I think this received a new Criterion treatment recently. 9/25/18

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

new #45 Written on the Wind - I haven't seen many of Douglas Sirk's films. 9/25/18

There may be nothing better than a good Sirk melodrama.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller
If someone would've told this was the inspiration for Deadwood, I would've watched this long ago! What a thrill to be immersed back in the Old West as Warren Beatty's charismatic John McCabe and Julie Christie's Constance Miller work as business partners to run a whorehouse in the small naive town of Presbyterian Church. Not too much happens - much like the HBO series - but it's great to be a fly on the wall and immersed in this world. The music from Leonard Cohen was pivotal as well and provided the perfect mood for the natural setting. I read that Altman tinkered with the negatives to allow more light and provide a unique look to the film - more warmth and sunlight coming into the frame which was another strength. The fake snow at the end may be the only negative I can think of, but this is yet another Altman film, much like The Long Goodbye soon to follow, where he turns the genre on it's head and becomes a huge influence in what's to come. Hint: no spaghetti-western classic standoff here!

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Cria Cuervos [1976 - 110mins] - (2018.09.09) - this has been ignored on my shelf for years... I need the motivation to see it. (Criterion)

An Education [2009 - 100mins] - (2018.07.16) - love Carey Mulligan & always heard great things but never make it a priority. (21st Century shame)

How The West Was Won [1962 - 162mins] - **NEW** (2018.09.26) - has such a huge cast & crew that I feel the behind-the-scenes is as good as the film? (Western)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Lemmon/Matthau)

The King of Marvin Gardens [1972 - 103mins] - (2018.05.24) - Jack Nicholson, Ellen Burstyn & Bruce Dern.. should be good! (blind-bought boxsets)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - **OLDEST** (2018.04.21) - from one of Bette's later roles in 'Sweet Charlotte to one of her earlier ones. (Bette Davis)

Ordinary People [1980 - 124mins] - (2018.08.12) - I never hear anyone talk about this one.. or I'm really good at ignoring it because I've yet to see it (Best Picture winner)

Your Name [2016 - 106mins] - (2018.08.04) - noticed that I'm 86% done the IMDb Top 250 list... let's get this thing completed. (IMDb Top 250)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), Paprika (4.5/5), Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (4.5/5), My Darling Clementine (4/5), Cactus Flower (4/5), Wings (4/5), Beauty and the Beast (1946) (3.5/5), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (4.5/5), [Total:199]

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Friendo, the only film of yours I've seen is The King of Marvin Gardens, which is a deep cut but a strong one from Rafelson.

The Wicker Man (1973)
dir. Robin Hardy

The Wicker Man is a much effervescent and psychical film than I had anticipated. Loosely woven filmmaking driven by a tight plot, the story of a policeman investigating a missing child in a Scottish island village full of grinning pagans is at once an unsettling mystery and a strange tale of dueling faiths and politics.

Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) is a straightlaced, Christian cop who embodies the most cliched traits of mid-20th century British conservatives: humorless, prim and proper, a virgin until marriage. Howie is thrown off kilter by the free love culture of the island, operated by the suave Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). Summerisle often reminded me of Timothy Leary, taking his fashion cues from youth culture, with a dash of David Berg. The conflict between these two is not law vs. criminal, but a proxy for the culture war that had been waged in the U.S. and the U.K. since the Summer of Love issued in an era of acid, sex, antiwar activism, and newfound interest in radical theologies whether they be westernized blends of Eastern religions like Buddhism and Hinduism, or the occult teachings of Satanists and Wiccans like Aleister Crowley.

There's a piece of The Wicker Man that feels somewhat reactionary: Depicting the New Left as murderous lunatics believing in fairy dust, dancing around the maypole and singing folk songs as they unravel the fabric of western civilization. And yet, Howie is no hero. He's overbearing, smug, fascistic, and frankly pathetic in his adherence to social norms. Hardy does not take sides, rather he seems more interested in how the new spiritualities have emerged and come for the beliefs of the old generations. There is a policeman inside your head and he must be destroyed.

My List:

Audition (1999) - I think I first learned about this one through Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments special, which I remember watching in middle school. But I was always too much of a wimp for it. Can I handle it now? (Added 9/19/2018)

Black Devil Doll From Hell (1984) - Hypertrash! (Added 9/19/2018)

The Cat and the Canary (1927) - Silent horror. Wanted to watch this since college but never got to it. (Added 9/19/2018)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - One of the classic creature features, and a drat shameful one to be missing. (Added 9/19/2018)

Ganja & Hess (1973) - I saw Spike Lee's pretty poor remake, but never the original. (Added 9/19/2018)

The Amityville Horror (1979) - pssst... It's not real. (Added 9/27/2018)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TrixRabbi gets

TrixRabbi posted:

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - One of the classic creature features, and a drat shameful one to be missing. (Added 9/19/2018)

Office Space

A downtrodden office worker discovers a new outlook on life.

We start with Peter Gibbons (and other main characters) in a rush hour standstill, unable to keep pace with an old man in a zimmer frame. A woman directing enquiries on a phone drones the same introduction over and over. Peter is passive-aggressively chewed out by multiple people for a small error. There's a supporting cast of office caricatures and Gary Cole is great as the loathsome boss. Everything is heightened enough to be funny, yet still familiar.

Jennifer Aniston's character, Joanna, meanwhile works in a fast food joint and there's a great comparison of how both the whitecollar and service industry jobs dehumanise people and strip them of individuality. In the office, there are strict rules for where you sit, how you answer the phone and what cover sheet goes on the TPS report. In the restaurant, everyone is expected to express themselves in phoney, insincere ways and always be smiling.

Following a tragic hypnosis accident, Peter adopts a new attitude towards work. He ignores his boss's orders, dresses casually and tears down his cubical wall to get a window view. He asks Joanna out. The consultants see him as an alpha male instead of a slacker and promote him.

His attitude eventually leads to a criminal scheme against the company and this is a little weak in execution, but it does introduce some much needed drama and stakes.

Some good musical choices in this.

It's light, but it's a hugely cathartic film. Who among us hasn't had a crushing job they wished they could treat with the contempt it deserved?

My List:

2) (comedy) The Kid More Chaplain

3) (animation) The Lord of the Rings (1978) The books and Jackson's films were favourites of my childhood/teenage years and I'd like to see this oddball one.

4) (Academy Award winner) Slumdog Millionaire I've enjoyed Danny Boyle's other films

9) (epic) Ben Hur (1959) Probably the first thing that comes into my head when I think of the term 'epic film'

Watched (43): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

Next one for you.

Written on the Wind - Another wealth tragedy revolving around Texas oilmen. Kind of similar to Giant (1956) which also starred Rock Hudson and was released a mere month earlier. Reckless men in the midst of one of those familiar love quadrangles (with two women). Two old friends keen on flaunting their extreme wealth and extravagance to their lady friends.

Big shot Kyle Hadley (Robert Stack) goes through a lot of paranoiac drunk spells before meeting the love of his life. But he's sabotaged by his dangerous sister Marylee (Dorothy Malone).

By the end the friends are ready to pull guns on each other.

1928 7th Heaven - Not to be confused with the TV show featuring the pedophile dad. 8/10/18

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (85/100 completed):

#76 Van Gogh - A film about the last days of the eventually famous painter. 7/13/18

#93 Lola (1961) - I have seen Run Lola Run but not Lola Montès or this one. 8/15/18

2011 The Lincoln Lawyer - The most popular rental of 2011 and I haven't even heard of it. That's funny. 8/27/18

2007 The Bucket List - I remember Roger Ebert raging about this one but that evidently didn't stop it from being the most popular rental of 2007. 8/27/18

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (91/100 completed):

new #67 Seven Beauties - Sounds like a fresh look at WWII for a change. 9/29/18

#76 Lost in America - I think this received a new Criterion treatment recently. 9/25/18

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zogo:

quote:

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Cyborgs secret agents are after a master hacker.

I was reminded a lot of Blade Runner, what with the subject matter and the theme of what it is to be a person - the idea that all we are is our memories made me think of the tears in the rain speech. Plus the tech-noir style and even the pacing to an extent.
A lot of time is spent showcasing the world, giving slow pans of the city which is both futuristic and grimy. It's only 82 minutes long, so I assumed the pace would be hectic and it really wasn't.
The climactic battle in particular takes its time and there's a deliberateness to each action taken.

There's a very graphically violent moment at the start, which I though was going to set the tone of the film, but it turned out to be pretty much the only scene like that. Of course most of the main characters are cyborgs, so seeing them dismembered is less gruesome.
The production values are great

Also saw
The Kid

A woman abandons her baby in a rich person's car, hoping to give him a better life. He's adopted by the Tramp.

Five years later, the Kid and the Tramp have a lucrative window breaking scam
There's the usual high quality visual humour. There's a great segment where the tramp doesn't want to be left literally holding the baby, and tries to dump him on other people.

The relationship between kid and tramp is believable and touching, and the last act has more drama than comedy.
The two of them live in a world of poverty and unfeeling officials, police and landlords and all they have is each other.

It was funny to learn that that cute little child grew up to be Uncle Fester

My List:

2) (comedy) Bringing up Baby Nice kitty

8) (sci fi/fantasy) The Abyss An 80s sci fi by James Cameron should be good

Watched (45): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bitterandtwisted, watched Freaks.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
dir. Jack Arnold

Much like Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon is more tragic than terrifying, more haunting than scary, and there is more empathy for the “monster” than the people hunting him. While the human cast in Creature is unknowing, nothing like the vicious mobs of Frankenstein, they are the ones who strike first — shooting the creature with a harpoon on their first encounter. Later it is only the mercy of men that lets the creature live; it has learned to be docile at the taming of man.

Shape of Water’s decision to make its protagonist mute is interesting given how many pivotol scenes of this film are without dialogue. The underwater sequences, driven by the orchestra, are poetic and heart wrenching, as primally affecting as the monster at the center. The shot where the creature is caged up, his face distorted by the water as he opens his mouth like gasping for freedom, are certainly some of the most truly upsetting of the 1950’s horror wave.

:spooky: My List: :spooky:

Audition (1999) - I think I first learned about this one through Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments special, which I remember watching in middle school. But I was always too much of a wimp for it. Can I handle it now? (Added 9/19/2018)

The Cat and the Canary (1927) - Silent horror. Wanted to watch this since college but never got to it. (Added 9/19/2018)

Ganja & Hess (1973) - I saw Spike Lee's pretty poor remake, but never the original. (Added 9/19/2018)

Trouble Every Day (2001) - :psypop: (Added 10/3/2018)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Trixrabbi watch

quote:

Freaks (1932)
The circus is in town.

Most of the characters were real circus and carnival performers - all of them with remarkable real life stories.

We don't get to see the circus perform; the whole film is the private lives and relationships of the cast backstage, although there are scenes that were part of real life carnival acts such as the Human Torso doing his trademark cigarette rolling trick, which he used to do for PT Barnum. Here however, it's just a guy backstage having a smoke. There are many such scenes that show the freaks as just people trying to live their lives, and subplots of the relationships between characters.
There is humour that comes from their conditions, for example a guy dating a conjoined twin whose sister doesn't like him, but it treats its subjects with respect and doesn't punch down.

The two villains are the trapeze artist Cleopatra and her lover Hercules, the stongman. The former flirts with a dwarf performer out of cruelty and then plots to marry and murder him when she finds out he's rich.
She (and a random French peasant) are the only ones to show disgust of the Freaks.
The other normies are the clown and seal trainer who serve as the audience stand-ins.

The climactic scene of the Freaks' revenge is amazingly creepy. I've heard complaints that it dehumanised them, but I don't know, I think it was an earned scene. I'd be interested to hear what people with those sorts of physical conditions think of it nowadays.

There was a huge backlash against the film due to the subject matter and it was banned in the UK for 30 years

It's something quite unique and I'd call it a must-see

Also saw
The Abyss
There's something down there.

A nuclear sub sinks and a crew from a nearby rig are sent to investigate, led by a seal team.
The production values are great. The sets and effects are all excellent.
The seal leader gets ocean madness and it's hugely atmospheric as the rig workers and seals are at each others throats. This is the strongest part of the film and once it's resolve it just loses its legs completely. The last chapter of the film has Ed Harris and his ex take turns almost dying and coming back in unlikely ways. I didn't find them compelling as a couple.

I liked the film overall, but the First Contact parts (and last act in general) are the weakest bits and it's not on the level of the likes of Arrival, Close Encounters or Solaris, all of which I've seen relatively recently.

My List:

7) (Horror) Poltergeist (1982) :iiam:

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Escape from New York Sounds fun

Watched (47): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

The last from your original list.

Van Gogh - I remembered seeing Van Gogh portrayed by Martin Scorsese in Dreams (1990) so I was curious as to how he'd appear in this film.

Thankfully, it eschews the stale biopic formula of hitting all the familiar notes and sanctimoniously turning the famous subject into a demigod. I get so sick of seeing films that deify figures to no end. IMO all biopics should have a scene with the character sitting on a toilet or something else very mundane and earthy so that things remain grounded.

It goes in interesting places one might not necessarily suspect and makes the mythic human again: Doctors visits, family troubles, crazy outbursts; warts and all, painters arguing, tons of time spent with various prostitutes and other lascivious and bawdy deeds. Vincent van Gogh pursues so many women he may only be outclassed by some of James Bond's appearances. Bohemian and libertine ideas that most films don't espouse or at least shy away from.

At times it's up there with great films like Fanny and Alexander and Amadeus and The Right Stuff. Showing the lost arts like parlor entertainment and human flaws in the midst of greatness. Showing where mental illness and genius can intersect and how this world can chew you up and spit you out even with great talent at your disposal.

There's a great segment which brings to mind A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

PS I read some Netflix reviews on this one and had a laugh. Something about biopics frequently brings out a mistaken incredulity. You'd think these people writing them were personal friends of Vincent. "That's not the way that moment happened!" It reminds me of some recent screeds on those newer Star Wars films. "That wasn't the real Yoda...it was an impostor! That's not my Yoda."

NO, none of these people met the real Yoda or the real Vincent van Gogh.

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (86/100 completed):

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (91/100 completed):

#67 Seven Beauties - Sounds like a fresh look at WWII for a change. 9/29/18

new #70 The Killer - I expect a lot of guns blazing. 10/10/18

#76 Lost in America - I think this received a new Criterion treatment recently. 9/25/18

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo, watch Faces. I'm guessing this is the Cassavetes film?

The Amityville Horror (1979)
dir. Stuart Rosenberg

A newlywed couple (James Brolin and Margot Kidder) purchase a Long Island home where only a few years before a man murdered his entire family with a shotgun. Almost immediately on moving in, however, the activity begins. First, the priest they brought in to bless the home is overwhelmed by an evil presence and forced out of the house (but even distance doesn't stop this power from terrorizing the old man, as the telephone receiver burns his hand when he tries to call the family). Soon, Brolin becomes unattached from reality, obsessed with chopping wood and sharpening his axe. Their youngest daughter believes she is talking to an imaginary friend named Jody, who tells her about the little boy who died in the house and now lives there forever.

Yup, y'all got a haunting here.

While I found the film isn't able to maintain an unnerving atmosphere throughout, it is very effective at unsettling you. When Brolin and Kidder tour the house with a realtor at the beginning of the film, every room they enter is accompanied by a cut to the murders that happened in the room complete with deafening gunshots. When the priest attempts to bless the home he is surrounded by swarms of house flies and he succumbs to pure terror. The entire story takes place over the course of about three weeks, the madness of the Amityville house is completely uncontained, as if the demons that haunt it were impatient and couldn't wait after their last successful haunt to sink their fangs into this family. But despite the urgency, there's a lack of serious threat. The climax is exciting, but ultimately a dud as the house seems to become passive rather than exerting the full force of its power.

One thing I'll add on the horror as metaphor front: A lot of the early cat scares in the first half of the film are the couple's children sneaking up on them, or opening doors. There's something of a post-Watergate anxiety around the stability of the nuclear family happening, and the domestic home as portal to Hell for the maturing Baby Boomer generation seems to me a legitimate reading. The kids are extraneous characters who interrupt our adult protagonists sex lives and force them into office jobs they resent. Settling down is the monster here.

Eyes Without a Face (1960) - Another long overdue one. Very shameful. (Added 10/12/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend; Sansho the Bailiff; Society; The Blot; The Wicker Man; Creature from the Black Lagoon; The Amityville Horror (TOTAL: 65)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 12, 2018

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TrixRabbi, haven't seen any on your list, I randomly pick The Cat and the Canary

Just saw The Shawshank Redemption. Really well made movie. You really get into the lives of the prisoners. It is very well shot and tells a compelling story. Highly recommended.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

Gladiator - NEWEST

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

Sherlock Jr. - Another Buster Keaton movie.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart OLDEST

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Oklahoma - Don't know anything about it. Next on my musicals list.

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

To Catch a Thief - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta, King Kong, Dodesukaden, Labyrinth, Reds,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,Strangers on a Train,The Fast and the Furious, Faust, Eraserhead, A Day at the Races,The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Shadow of a Doubt, Lost in Translation, The General, The Aviator, The Shawshank Redemption

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Sherlock Jr. - Another Buster Keaton movie.

Enjoy another great one from Keaton!

The King of Marvin Gardens
As great as it is to watch Nicholson play the crazed / energetic character everyone knows him for, it's also interesting to see him play a mopey or weathered character. And we certainly get that here as the depressed morning DJ from Philadelphia David Staebler, who visits his brother Jason (Bruce Dern) in Atlantic City, New Jersey (the inspiration for the Monopoly board as the film points out). Life almost feels like a game to Jason, who with his ties to the mob, gets the idea to turn a small island in Hawaii into a big casino and make them both rich - well them and his girlfriend Sally (Ellen Burstyn) and her stepdaughter Jessica (Julie Anne Robinson). While the opening sequence will stay with me (a head-shot of Nicholson delivering a 5-6 minute monologue, unsure of where he is or who he's talking to), the rest of the film meanders about and doesn't completely gel together. Sure there are memorable moments sprinkled in (the Miss America pageant, the convincing talk to the Japanese over lobster, the auctioneers scene), but it always kept me at a distance. Maybe that's due to Nicholson's character who keeps himself at arm's length from everyone else. It almost feels like the cast had fun crafting these moments, but director Bob Rafelson forgot to make a cohesive narrative. Having just finished this 15-20 minutes ago, it is possible I'll appreciate the parts moreso than nitpick the sum of these parts. Anyway, it's worth a watch as all 4 main actors were great.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

The Best of Youth [2003 - 366mins!] - (2018.05.01) - if I'm ever going to commit to watch this one, it'll be from this list. (unwatched DVD)

Une Chambre En Ville [1982 - 90mins] - **NEW** (2018.10.14) - apparently the "darker cousin" to Umbrellas of Cherbourg? Sounds like fun. (blind-bought boxsets)

Cria Cuervos [1976 - 110mins] - (2018.09.09) - this has been ignored on my shelf for years... I need the motivation to see it. (Criterion)

An Education [2009 - 100mins] - (2018.07.16) - love Carey Mulligan & always heard great things but never make it a priority. (21st Century shame)

How The West Was Won [1962 - 162mins] - (2018.09.26) - has such a huge cast & crew that I feel the behind-the-scenes is as good as the film? (Western)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Lemmon/Matthau)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - **OLDEST** (2018.04.21) - one of Davis' earlier roles. (Bette Davis)

Ordinary People [1980 - 124mins] - (2018.08.12) - I never hear anyone talk about this one.. or I'm really good at ignoring it because I've yet to see it (Best Picture winner)

Your Name [2016 - 106mins] - (2018.08.04) - noticed that I'm 86% done the IMDb Top 250 list... let's get this thing completed. (IMDb Top 250)

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), It Should Happen To You! (4/5), I Killed My Mother (4/5), Bringing Up Baby (5/5), Happiness (1/5), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (2.5/5), Russian Ark (4/5), Don't Look Now (3.5/5), Rome Open City (4/5), Let the Right One In (4.5/5), Woman in the Dunes (5/5), Brief Encounter (4.5/5), Night of the Living Dead (5/5), My Dinner with Andre (4/5), Inland Empire (1/5), A Matter of Life and Death (4.5/5), Broadcast News (4.5/5), The Last Detail (4/5), Run Lola Run (4/5), Chimes at Midnight (2/5), The Conformist (4.5/5), Castle in the Sky (5/5), Watership Down (4/5), Sophie's Choice (4/5), Ordet (2/5), Born on the Fourth of July (3.5/5), The Young Girls of Rochefort (4.5/5), Patton (4/5), Mon Oncle (4.5/5), The Big City (4.5/5), Only Yesterday (5/5), The Silence (4.5/5), Life Itself (4/5), Chicken Run (4/5), Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (4/5), The Last Emperor (3.5/5), In the Heat of the Night (4/5), Animal Crackers (3.5/5), Avanti! (3.5/5), Grizzly Man (4/5), Lola (4.5/5), Safe (4.5/5), Paprika (4.5/5), Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (4.5/5), My Darling Clementine (4/5), Cactus Flower (4/5), Wings (4/5), Beauty and the Beast (1946) (3.5/5), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (4.5/5), The King of Marvin Gardens (3.5/5) [Total:200]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Welcome. You are now the sixth member of the elite 200 films unshamed club.

Current list:
Zogo 648
Electronico6 280
TrixRabbi 241
Peaceful Anarchy 238
Ratedargh 215
friendo55 200

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Had no idea anyone was keeping track of my list

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

Welcome. You are now the sixth member of the elite 200 films unshamed club.

Current list:
Zogo 648
Electronico6 280
TrixRabbi 241
Peaceful Anarchy 238
Ratedargh 215
friendo55 200

And yet I still feel so much shame!
I was gonna ask how many are at 300... you seem to be in an elite club of your own.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Next one for you.

friendo55 posted:

And yet I still feel so much shame!
I was gonna ask how many are at 300... you seem to be in an elite club of your own.

The shame never ends.

Electronico6 and Peaceful Anarchy started off at a very fast pace but I caught them to say the least. I'm actually surprised more haven't reached 300+ ITT based on how fast people are able to watch films in the yearly Horror thread. There's no way I could do 31 films in 31 days. M_Sinistrari has watched 155 so far in a matter of weeks.

TrixRabbi posted:

Zogo, watch Faces. I'm guessing this is the Cassavetes film?

Yes.

Faces - The film opens with a group of highly annoying characters being extremely loud, drunk and hammy. At times it feels like you're watching a documentary featuring extreme closeups many times. I was reminded of Cassavetes' earlier film Shadows (1958) and also the newer Buffalo '66 (1998).

The film shows various small groups of gossipy and miserable characters exploring their infidelities. Over-the-hill guys arguing about prostitutes. Some of the characters seem too old for this grandstanding.

It shines in its groundbreaking bluntness. Particularly showing a character in the midst of a graphic drug overdose.

Also watched:

The Party - The film opens with a humorous segment that will only make sense if you've seen Gunga Din (1939).

Peter Sellers plays an Indian who's mistakenly been given an invitation to an affluent LA party. He's an annoying fish out of water in most respects. Capturing some of the idiocy of Dinner for Schmucks (2010) and the technological humor of Playtime (1967) it's kind of The Love Guru (2008) gone right.

Anyway, the party continues to get crazier and crazier. Chickens flying into tiaras, bubbles everywhere, a painted elephant etc. Impressive chaos near the end. It's not quite as magically chaotic as The Firemen's Ball (1967) but it's not too far off.

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (87/100 completed):

new #83 Tabu: A Story of the South Seas - An island adventure. 10/20/18

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (92/100 completed):

new #52 Zero for Conduct - Never had a strong urge to watch this one. 10/20/18

#70 The Killer - I expect a lot of guns blazing. 10/10/18

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

The shame never ends.

Electronico6 and Peaceful Anarchy started off at a very fast pace but I caught them to say the least. I'm actually surprised more haven't reached 300+ ITT based on how fast people are able to watch films in the yearly Horror thread. There's no way I could do 31 films in 31 days. M_Sinistrari has watched 155 so far in a matter of weeks.

Yeah I mean I've managed to watch 35-40 films each month lately (according to Letterboxd) - but 155 films in a matter of weeks is something else entirely. That's intense!

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

If you're anything like my mom, you will really really like this one.

Review:
Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
A musical that pokes fun at the transition from silent to sound in Hollywood 30 years earlier. Incredibly broad humor that still shines through more than 60 years later, somehow, and a series of memorable, unique, and technically impressive musical numbers made this a very enjoyable watch.

I was especially taken with the cynical attitude towards hollywood, as evidenced in the film’s introductory montage of Don/Gene Kelly, and how that attitude was reconciled through a retreat into nostalgia.

Overall, very solid musical. I really liked it.

I also saw…

8 ½ (1963)
Directors love making movies about making movies and the creative process. Those movies are usually indulgent. Sometimes, they are consciously indulgent, or poke fun at themselves for their own indulgence. Doing this usually makes the film even more indulgent.

8 ½ was indulgent, but I didn’t hate it. In fact, I liked it a good amount. It perhaps didn’t make such a big impression on me that it keeps with the enormous reputation that the movie has with critics and film buffs - you must know that this is a classic pick for best movie of all time. I particularly liked the dream/fantasy sequences - you can feel their influence! I was also enamored with the concept of a director who is walking a tightrope built on his own bullshit & working out his sexual and egotistical compulsions through the creation of his own movies. It alternately mythologizes & brings down to earth the role of artists.

I also also saw…

Showgirls (1995)
People mostly hate Showgirls, though it’s got a cult following. I thought it was astoundingly beautiful (between the complex multiple-mirror shots, the long one-takes, burnt-out daytime Vegas), unrelentingly entertaining, and very funny. It gets hate, I think, for first billing itself as a serious sex drama and moral tale, then being very goofy for 90 minutes, then thematically whipping to a scene of unmatched brutality, all before cautiously worming its way back to camp for the final scenes. I personally think that this organizational structure for a film is effective. The Vegas showgirls scene of the movie is fun and games, until it isn’t.

Good movie.

LIST:

1. Nosferatu (1922): About Dracula.

2. Triumph of the Will (1935): About Nazis.

3. Gaslight (1944): About lying to your wife.

4. 12 Angry Men (1957): About justice.

5. Rosemary’s Baby (1968): About motherhood.

6. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975): About rich people.

7. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982): About childhood.

8. Fargo (1996): About the uses of wood chippers.

9. Gran Torino (2008): About tolerance.

10. Her (2013): About robots.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985); Get Out (2017); Strike (1925); Singin’ in the Rain (1952); Showgirls (1995); 8 ½ (1963)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the_tasman_series posted:

8. Fargo (1996): About the uses of wood chippers.

The most shameful of your current ten IMO.

The Lincoln Lawyer - A slick criminal lawyer (Matthew McConaughey) who drives around in a Lincoln Town Car with license plate: NTGUILTY is tasked with defending a seemingly innocent guy.

At first the defendant comes across like a rich dope but he's not that innocent. It illustrates how dirty dealings and plea bargains occur and how very wealthy criminals can get away with almost anything. A reminder that money rules the world. The film surprised me at times but when there are too many twists it starts to be a detraction. I was reminded of High Crimes (2002) and Adam's Rib (1949) at times.

He seems to be losing his touch but despite all the tribulations he goes through with his nightmare client he comes out alive.

Ultimately, Mick Haller is a dirty lawyer and monster himself. But he looks better because the world at large is a dirtier place. It's kind of the anti-Cape Fear (1991) in that I don't think he fully learns the lessons of that film. He's just too slick with the law for his own good and readily reverts back to his old self as he makes another dirty deal with a biker gang as the film closes.

PS There was a club scene and Nightcall by Kavinsky started playing and for one brief moment I thought the Driver (Ryan Gosling) would appear.

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (87/100 completed):

new #32 Moonfleet – I thought this was about the Moon. Apparently not. 10/23/18

#83 Tabu: A Story of the South Seas - An island adventure. 10/20/18

Netflix's 20 Years. 20 Movies. (18/20 completed):

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (92/100 completed):

#52 Zero for Conduct - Never had a strong urge to watch this one. 10/20/18

#70 The Killer - I expect a lot of guns blazing. 10/10/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 24, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zogo posted:

PS There was a club scene and Nightcall by Kavinsky started playing and for one brief moment I thought the Driver (Ryan Gosling) would appear.
Wow, can't believe it predated its most famous use by a couple of months

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It appears that The Lincoln Lawyer came out ~6 months prior.

For a track of such stature the film doesn't really showcase it properly.

edit: Also Bryan Cranston is in both films...the plot thickens. Not sure if anyone else is though.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 24, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zogo posted:

It appears that The Lincoln Lawyer came out ~6 months prior.
Drive premiered at Cannes that year in May so still trailing behind but by less.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

I adore this movie.

Review: Thanks for the pick, Zogo.
Fargo (1996): I knew a little about the movie going in. I knew it was a send-up of noir transported to the midwest, that it was about a little man’s schemes that get out of control, and that the bodies rack up pretty quickly. I didn’t know that the Coens got to have their cake and eat it too - the movie is an effective thriller that borrows not only form noir but also from westerns, while at the same time getting in parodic jabs and observational-comedic looks at the social spaces and graces of the midwest.

The movie’s chief asset is its atmosphere, from its stunning and stark landscapes that allow suspense to mount to the isolated bars, car dealerships, parking lots, cabins and homes which allow Marge and others to navigate the understatement and put-on politeness stereotypical of the midwest. Several of these exchanges are fascinating, including the episode with Marge’s old schoolmate. The movie is very concerned with how we manipulate by keeping up appearances, and how that ability can be used both destructively and constructively.

This movie shares a lot of DNA with 2007’s No Country for Old Men, although the Coens seem to come to a much more optimistic conclusion in this one. The lawmen (lawpeople?) of both films are shook by the waste and cruelty of evil-doers, but in Fargo, it is tempered by the possibility of living a good life despite the presence of evil.

Very good movie.

LIST:

1. Nosferatu (1922): About Dracula.

8. Fight Club (1999): When I was 18 or 19, I had a phase where I’d get dangerously drunk to watch movies, remember about 5 minutes of the beginning and pass out before the third act. This is one of those movies. Other victims included North by Northwest, American Psycho, and 2001, but I’ve managed to rewatch those.

9. Gran Torino (2008): About tolerance.

10. Her (2013): About robots.

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985); Get Out (2017); Strike (1925); Singin’ in the Rain (1952); Showgirls (1995); 8 ½ (1963); Fargo (1996)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Yeah, and then I bet all the other jurors stood up and clapped, didn't they? (it's a very good movie)

--

I thought I'd pop in and try to figure out what classic horror film I should watch later today now that the show I was waiting on has disappointed me:

1) Bride of Frankenstein - I saw the original Frankenstein in the 6th grade in an elective class where we watched old black and white G/PG films. I always assumed Bride was some lame sequel with a girl monster, what and despite learning later that, hey, it's a classic and I should watch it I never did.
2) Cemetery Man - Any time I see it brought up there's always someone, probably some random dude who looks like he would have been a blast in high school but maybe didn't really move on, who insists that this is a film everyone needs to see.
3) House of Wax - I'm always willing to roll the dice on Vincent Price.
4) The Invisible Man - I saw the unraveling scene once as a kid as part of a local TV ad for a late night showing of the movie and it was the first time I remember thinking, "What? How did they do that?"
5) The Wicker Man - I like atmospheric films. I like Christopher Lee. I'm fine with slow burns. Any time the chance to watch this movie comes up I wind up choosing something else.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I thought I'd pop in and try to figure out what classic horror film I should watch later today now that the show I was waiting on has disappointed me:

Was it the Romanoffs?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Was it the Romanoffs?

e: I was wrong, ignore this opinion

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 30, 2018

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Adlai Stevenson, watch Bride of Frankenstein. It's probably the more referenced movie actually and arguably even better than the first.

The Cat and the Canary (1927)
dir. Paul Leni

The Cat and the Canary is striking from its opening credits, when the title is revealed by hands brushing away decades' worth of dirt and dust. The story is a wonderful whodunit mystery with red herring supernatural elements, revolving around the classic plot device of a massive inheritance given to the least expected recipient. Featuring a mix of comedy and earnest horror, this is a fun and vibrant movie, with evocative imagery derived from expressionism.

October is almost over but I'll leave the spooky list up for another round without a new entry and see how I can integrate it when I return to my previous list. Might have to make myself watch a couple that have been sitting around for awhile.

Eyes Without a Face (1960) - Another long overdue one. Very shameful. (Added 10/12/2018)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea; Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome; The Viking; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Of Gods and the Undead; The Hitch-Hiker; Nerves; The Phantom of Liberty; As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty; The Duellists; Kiss Me Deadly; Heat; The Civil War; Forbidden Planet; Cairo Station; Tetsuo, the Iron Man; Legend; Sansho the Bailiff; Society; The Blot; The Wicker Man; Creature from the Black Lagoon; The Amityville Horror; The Cat and the Canary (TOTAL: 66)

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Adlai Stevenson posted:

e: I was wrong, ignore this opinion
I didn't really have an skin in the Sabrina game but I'm glad you like it now!!

TrixRabbi posted:

I haven't seen any of your :spooky:list:spooky:, but I know Spike has a history of remaking awesome movies into bad ones. I'll default to his taste.

Review: 12 Angry Men (1957)

A movie that could very easily be a matter-of-fact play, or short story: long takes, set almost entirely in one room, played in real-time.

Raises some questions about whether the purpose of law is to punish or to protect, how close an imperfect human system can come to justice, etc.

The plot has several twists and turns as the movie shifts its focus from the trial to the personalities and pathologies of the individual jurors. Ultimately, it is one man breaking through his own bitterness which results in the end of deliberation.

Very good movie, deserving of its status as a classic.

Midterms are over, so I also saw…
Nosferatu (1922)

I wish that I got something out of this movie besides historical interest, but the movie is just so old and the technique alien that I was not particularly moved. I will say that Schreck/Orlok (the Dracula character) was played so stiltedly and and strangely that it was a little interesting.

This is my first non-parodic brush with Dracula material. I’m sure that it’s a fine film for its day, and probably important to the history of film, but I couldn’t get into it.

I also saw…
Her (2013)

I was blown away by this movie. The premise of a future where an AI inside of a phone is human enough to carry on a romantic relationship seems to lend itself very well to an alienating dystopia (and it was, in Blade Runner 2049). Jonze instead goes in the opposite direction - a utopia where technology can successfully fulfill the most intimate human needs. In doing so, imagines a future that is iconic and very unique.

The performances of both of the leads is very very solid, especially considering how difficult it must have been to film.

I feel like I could write about the movie for pages, but I’ll spare everyone. Loved the movie, though.

LIST:

1. The Kid (1921): I loved both City Lights and Modern Times - Will I appreciate an earlier and probably blurrier Chaplin? (IMDb Top 250)

4. Paths of Glory (1957): My dad bought this movie on DVD and never unwrapped it. Looking at Kirk Douglas on the cover is the closest I’ve got to watching it. (IMDb Top 250)

8. Fight Club (1999): When I was 18 or 19, I had a phase where I’d get very drunk to watch movies, remember about 5 minutes of the beginning and pass out before the third act. This is one of those movies. Other victims included North by Northwest, American Psycho, and 2001, but I’ve managed to rewatch those. (IMDb Top 250)

9. Gran Torino (2008): Not at all familiar with post-cowboy Eastwood, but I’ve heard good things. (IMDb Top 250)

10. Interstellar (2014): Caught the end of the movie on TV a couple summers ago. Can’t say I was too fond what I saw, but maybe I’ll appreciate the movie as a whole. (IMDb top 250)

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985); Get Out (2017); Strike (1925); Singin’ in the Rain (1952); Showgirls (1995); 8 ½ (1963); Fargo (1996); 12 Angry Men (1957); Nosferatu (1922); Her (2013)

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 30, 2018

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Never seen it, but I hear it's a horror movie (or close enough) and today is Halloween!

Schindler's List

As far as SHAMEFUL movies go for any serious film buff, Schindler's List would have to be pretty high on the list of legitimately shameful movies to have not seen. It is critically loved, award-winning, and popular. It's an important movie, and a good movie, to boot. I have never even heard it described as anything less than a great movie. And so, unsurprisingly, I find myself underwhelmed. All of the above means this movie carries far greater a weight of expectation than any movie deserves to or has any ability to meet. And I find my reaction to this movie... Complex, to say the least.

Speilberg often paints with broad brushes and bright colors, metaphorically speaking. I would not describe him as a subtle filmmaker. And I would not describe this movie as subtle. As I watched, I felt myself pushing against the believability of these characters--Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth seems a cartoonish villain, Liam Neeson's Oscar Schindler a classic scoundrel-turned-hero on the level of Han Solo. Of course, I have enough knowledge of the Holocaust and WWII to know that as cartoonish as Goeth may seem, the reality of the atrocities committed there are as viciously and brazenly evil as it gets. Schindler undergoes a transformation seemingly overnight, from greedy self-interest to recklessly heroic, with little explanation as to why. Of course, maybe that's the reality of the Holocaust. This movie is not subtle... But maybe there is little subtlety to be found in the story it is telling. At a certain point, a man like Schindler, not driven by deep-rooted racism and nationalism, can only watch the cruelty of the Nazis for so long.

One of the strengths of the movie is in the contrasts it paints, often through clever editing. This is a movie without much in the way of directorial flourishes, but it does make use of juxtaposition effectively. The film does not shy away from nudity, and does so to pointed effect: the Jews are often naked, stripped both of clothing and dignity, poked, prodded, examined, treated as cattle; the Germans are naked for pleasure. In one sequence, Goeth is with his Jewish maid Helen (played by Embeth Davidtz), whom he lusts for, and he is touching her intimately; she is terrified, his touch is unwanted and invasive, and then, suddenly, it turns to brutal violence: he beats her. This sequence is cut with scenes of Schindler with another unknown German girl, touching and kissing warmly, freely, pleasurably. The movie fixates as well as on the value of human life, as seen through the eyes of Goeth, Schindler, and Ben Kingsley's Itzhak Stern. Goeth cares not at all for Jewish life, and throws it away freely. It is nearly worthless to him. Schindler cares only for the economic value, at least, at first--he chooses to employ Jewish workers because they cost less. Of course, in the one truly emotionally manipulative sequence in the film, as Schindler is fleeing at the close of the war, he highlights the value of the wealth he pursued relentlessly and how it equates to human lives he could have saved--that car, ten people, this pin, two...

This is a good movie, no question. It's depiction of the horrors visited upon the Jewish people is matter-of-fact, honest, and restrained. It is not gratuitous. It is humanizing, sad, gutwrenching at times. It is informative and important. I recognize the strength of it's craft. And yet, I find myself moved far less than I expected, based on it's credentials.

THE WATCH LIST

Days of Heaven (1978): Seeing as Tree of Life is one of my favorite films, and I've seen none of his other movies, I should probably get started. This seems a good a place as any.

Tokyo Story (1953): I keep seeing this all over "Best Films Ever"-type lists, and I hadn't even heard of it until a few years ago. Seems like a good candidate.

Bloodsport (1988): My list is too serious. Needs more punching.

Le Samouraï (1967): The origin of cool. Or so I hear. The Red Circle and Army of Shadows are also on my list, so I guess I need to move on some Melville.

Zodiac (2007): One of my buddies swears by this as one of the best movies of the last 20 years.

Do The Right Thing (1989): I guess it's time for me to... Do the right thing? And watch this movie?

A Serious Man (2009): I'm a Coen brothers fan, and Chili tells me I need to watch it so we can discuss it. So here it is.

Perfect Blue (1997): Loved, loved, loved Paprika, and I need to expand my animation repertoire, especially outside of the realm of Ghibli.

Boogie Nights (1997): I've seen 3 of PTA's films, and with Phantom Thread coming out, seems like the right time to include this here.

The 400 Blows (1959): I've never seen any Truffaut. I hear this brought up a lot, and it's another one that doesn't excite me on its face, so it lies with one of you to push me forward.

The Watched List: Paths of Glory; The Apartment; Solaris; A Touch of Zen; Apocalypse Now; The Iron Giant; Psycho; Cape Fear; Kill Bill: Vol. 1; My Neighbor Totoro; The Outlaw Josey Wales; Before Sunset; The Graduate; A Few Good Men; Out of Sight; The Birds; Ikiru; Umbrellas of Cherbourg; Schindler's List (19 total)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Her was the best movie of 2013. I probably think about that movie once a week, at least.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BeefSupreme gets Tokyo Story.

Ben Hur (1959)
The ultimate sword and sandals epic

After more than a year and 47 other films I've finally cleared the last of my original list.
The sincerity shines through.The visuals are gorgeous. The production values are incredible. This is a film that I really should have seen in the cinema

One decision that seemed odd was skipping almost all the time Judah was in Rome. We never see him learn to become a great charioteer, we're just told he is one.
The film is of course very pro-Christianity, and there were moments where the Roman characters felt very flat. Messala shows up practically saying "hi it's me your bestest childhood buddy here to betray you like the pagan scum I am."
We never saw them as friends so the betrayal has little emotional impact, plus it was not subtly built up.

Arius at least has an interesting arc and it didn't end with him finding Jesus, which is where I expected it to go.

The chariot race deserves its reputation. It was exciting and cathartic to see Judah beat Messala's rear end.

My List:

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Escape from New York Sounds fun

9) (epic) Once Upon a Time in America Leone doing a non-western

Watched (48): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

One of those very popular films that still seems underrated somehow.

Lola - A whirlwind of interconnected interactions that aren't really fully discovered between the characters in the film. American sailors enjoying the cabaret dancers aren't cognizant of Roland lurking around trying to pursue a relationship with Lola. And Roland doesn't know about Michel (the father who's gone missing) either.

Like The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967) there are some funny surprises and some sinister surprises.

PS This slow motion scene was memorable:
https://youtu.be/ERV1uzE8OW0?t=3991

Also watched:

The Killer - I always like when a film opens with a shot featuring a cityscape. Chow Yun Fat plays the super hitman with a heart of gold. He's able to prevail through double-crosses and numerous gunfights.

The brunt of the issue is that he accidentally blinds a woman named Jennie. Since he has a code of ethics he goes to great lengths to procure a cornea transplant for her.

Like Bullet in the Head (1990) and Hard Boiled (1992) this earlier film leaves the viewer incredulous as to how many bullets can fly out of a gun and how many times a person can be shot and keep fighting. It's like a video game as the stars of the film can withstand dozens of bullets from the crazy and violent triads. So many shootouts, car battles and surprises. I'd like to be in a John Woo film.

PS this was on a very junky DVD. Distributed in 2010 by Dragon Dynasty it was artificially sped up and also had some moiring/interlacing issues.

7th Heaven - Two sisters are struggling in France. One is innocent and the other is evil and likes to whip people when she's not partaking in her absinthe vice. Meanwhile, poor Parisians are toiling away in the sewers and slums with dreams of moving up in the world.

The two sisters get in a public fight and a heroic sewer cleaner intervenes and threatens to throw the devilish sister down into the sewer.

The cops try to arrest both sisters so the sewer cleaner again intervenes and pretends to be married to the nice one (Janet Gaynor). This leads to a charade of sorts as they go about in a faux marriage for a little time. A lot of men are then called into WWI and go through the deployment and farewells. We get to see a little of the insane trench warfare with flamethrower battles.

It evokes emotion well for a film of its era even though I saw the ending coming. The formula was set even back in the 1920s for the standard out of place happy ending in a war film.

Academy Award for Best Directing (90/91 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (88/100 completed):

#32 Moonfleet – I thought this was about the Moon. Apparently not. 10/23/18

new #64 Mr. Verdoux - I haven't seen a Charles Chaplin film lately. 11/12/18

new #71 A Day in the Country - I haven't seen a Jean Renoir film lately. 11/12/18

#83 Tabu: A Story of the South Seas - An island adventure. 10/20/18

new #87 America America - I haven't seen an Elia Kazan film lately. 11/12/18

Netflix's 20 Years. 20 Movies. (18/20 completed):

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years: (93/100 completed):

#52 Zero for Conduct - Never had a strong urge to watch this one. 10/20/18

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 13, 2018

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

Next.

Review: Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
This movie is really really solid. A housewife begins to believe she is caught up in some kind of conspiracy centering around her pregnancy. Meanwhile, she faces exaggerations of the stresses that a woman might be subject to in the first decade of women’s liberation.

There’s something about a roomful of soft, elderly bourgeois proclaiming “Hail Satan” that is truly compelling.

Edited for additional comment: Directly after giving the movie a serious watch, I put it on again in the background while doing some schoolwork. Not only are there endless details that retroactively become important, the film feels incredibly comfortable for a psychological thriller. I am pretty fond of this movie.

LIST:

1. The Kid (1921): I loved both City Lights and Modern Times - Will I appreciate an earlier and probably blurrier Chaplin? (IMDb Top 250)

4. Paths of Glory (1957): My dad bought this movie on DVD and never unwrapped it. Looking at Kirk Douglas on the cover is the closest I’ve got to watching it. (IMDb Top 250)

5. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968): Sergio’s Cowboys From the Sixties, one of my favorite genres. (IMDb top 250)

8. Fight Club (1999): When I was 18 or 19, I had a phase where I’d get very drunk to watch movies, remember about 5 minutes of the beginning and pass out before the third act. This is one of those movies. Other victims included North by Northwest, American Psycho, and 2001, but I’ve managed to rewatch those. (IMDb Top 250)

9. Gran Torino (2008): Not at all familiar with post-cowboy Eastwood, but I’ve heard good things. (IMDb Top 250)

10. Interstellar (2014): Caught the end of the movie on TV a couple summers ago. Can’t say I was too fond what I saw, but maybe I’ll appreciate the movie as a whole. (IMDb top 250)

De-Shamed: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973); The Panic in Needle Park (1971); Sunset Boulevard (1950); The Fury (1978); Raging Bull (1980); Laura (1944); Psycho (1960); Citizen Kane (1941); Flesh+Blood (1985); Seven Samurai (1954); The Godfather (1972); City Lights (1931); Blade Runner (1982); Sunrise (1927); Modern Times (1936); The Wizard of Oz (1939); GoodFellas (1990); A History of Violence (2005); No Country for Old Men (2007); Scanners (1981); Bicycle Thieves (1948); Metropolis (1927); Gone With the Wind (1939); Tokyo Story (1953); Do the Right Thing (1989); The Breakfast Club (1985); Get Out (2017); Strike (1925); Singin’ in the Rain (1952); Showgirls (1995); 8 ½ (1963); Fargo (1996); 12 Angry Men (1957); Nosferatu (1922); Her (2013); Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 13, 2018

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Review: Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
This movie is really really solid. A housewife begins to believe she is caught up in some kind of conspiracy centering around her pregnancy. Meanwhile, she faces exaggerations of the stresses that a woman might be subject to in the first decade of women’s liberation.

There’s something about a roomful of soft, elderly bourgeois proclaiming “Hail Satan” that is truly compelling.

Edited for additional comment: Directly after giving the movie a serious watch, I put it on again in the background while doing some schoolwork. Not only are there endless details that retroactively become important, the film feels incredibly comfortable for a psychological thriller. I am pretty fond of this movie.

I haven't watched my movie yet, but I really wanted to just reply with my seconding of your love for this. I somehow never saw it until the Criterion release (despite having a VHS copy for years and my mom being a huge fan of it) and I was so happy when I finally watched it. It's incredibly layered. Watched it with my mom, and I think it was her first time seeing it since she was in her 20s or something. That was pretty cool. Gonna give this another spin, soon.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Cross off a Kubrick.

I love Jean-Pierre Melville. His Le Samourai and Bob le Flambeur were among the first classic french movies outside Godard and Truffaut I checked out when I was a budding cinephile, and I've been a fan ever since. His crime movies exude a cool that few can duplicate, and it always feels so effortless (even though it's clearly a meticulous effort). But, he also has shown interests outside genre filmmaking, especially in reference to World War 2 with Army of Shadows - a fantastic film about the French underground resistance that I desperately need to revisit.

His debut feature, Le Silence de la Mer likewise visits this time period. It's an effective drama, very spare compared to his later work, where a Nazi soldier winds up staying with a older French man and his niece (obviously, against their will) for several months during the war while he's stationed there. Their lone act of possible resistance is to never speak to him or respond when he speaks to them (hence the silence of the title). Meanwhile, the soldier waxes on once per night about his love for France and that the war will result in great things for the two countries and Europe as a whole. It's a series of monologues punctuated by the occasional voiceover from the soldier's aggrieved host.

The soldier appears an agreeable sort, though he is a supporter of the fuhrer. Now, I can totally see this being accused of saying "there's good people on both sides!" in how it builds sympathy or empathy for him over the course of the film. It's seen in the old man who wonders if their radio silence is, in fact, inhuman. But, I think a more accurate interpretation is that it shows how easily an otherwise pleasant and decent-appearing person can harbor some incredibly dangerous and horrible ideas. Melville opens the film with a title card even explaining that the film is not to suggest that forgiveness toward Germany is the aim as the wound at the time of release (1949) were still too fresh. It's possible he understood how the intent could be misconstrued...though, perhaps I'm also looking at it through a more contemporary lens where the danger of Nazis and the normalization thereof is a legitimate threat once again. It's not his most engaging film or his most entertaining...and not even his most thought provoking, but it's more than a curiosity as well.

LIST O SHAME

1) 35 Shots of Rhum - Man, Claire Denis' movies are relatively tricky to find. This one is easier than others...so I'll start here.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) The Exterminating Angel - I've barely dipped my toe into Bunuel's filmography.

5) Starlet - Sean Baker before Tangerine and The Florida Project.

6) A Brighter Summer Day - This is 4 hours long. Regardless of how acclaimed it is, that's a mighty commitment.

7) Topsy Turvy - Ahhh Mike Leigh, looks less downtrodden than some of his work, but I'm still generally a novice with him.

8) Joint Security Area - I've seen, and loved, most of Park Chan-wook's movies, but haven't seen this one.

9) All That Jazz - Bob Fosse is a blind spot.

10) Doctor Zhivago -I love Lean, but I always need a push with him...it's so long.

SHAME BE GONE (PART DEUX): Top Secret!, Yi Yi, New York New York, Rio Bravo, Dogtooth, Song of the Sea, The Fog, A Touch of Zen, Walkabout, Starman, Young Girls of Rochefort, Cléo From 5 to 7, Sansho the Bailiff, Harvey, Le Silence de la Mer (Total: 15)

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

6) A Bright Summer's Day - This is 4 hours long. Regardless of how acclaimed it is, that's a mighty commitment.
It's worth every second.

9 to 5 - Lily Tomlin is amazing and god her dream sequence is just the best. Dolly threatens to shoot her boss' dick off. Anti-capitalist woman-led revolution in the workplace is what we need. 4/5

List:

Early Summer - watched Late Spring earlier this year and really need to catch up on Ozu

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - been watching a lot of Taiwanese films lately, I should probably check out Tsai Ming-liang. Also it's probably not too relevant, but I loved Dragon Inn

Rio Bravo - know the song, never saw the film

The Music Room - probably not the recommended place to start with Satyajit Ray, but I bought it and should really watch it

Les Vampires - need to watch more silents and I just saw Irma Vep and loved it

Gates of Heaven - documentaries

Tristana - Buñuel is one of my all time favorites, but I still have a few to watch

The Piano Teacher - should probably give Haneke at least one more shot

The Toxic Avenger - somehow I've never seen a Troma movie

Love Exposure - not sure where I'll find four hours right now, but people seem to love this and I like Sono

Completed(28): A Nightmare on Elm Street [4/5], Vertigo [5/5], Repulsion [4/5], Last Year at Marienbad [5/5], Blade Runner[4/5], Akira [5/5], Rear Window [5/5], A Brighter Summer Day [5/5], Rosemary's Baby [5/5], Close Encounters of the Third Kind [4/5], The Godfather Part 2 [5/5], Citizen Kane [5/5], Godzilla [5/5], Psycho [5/5], The Exorcist [4/5], The Blair Witch Project [4/5], Cléo from 5 to 7 [5/5], Faces [4/5], North by Northwest [4/5], Moonlight [5/5], The Act of Killing [5/5], Adaptation [5/5], Ran [5/5], Yi Yi [5/5], Funny Games [2/5], Fitzcarraldo [4/5], Tremors [4/5], 9 to 5 [4/5]
letterboxd