Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How does bunkering work? Are those bunker pieces immune to bombardment damage or something? All of my AETNs are close to the surface and the regolith is starting to get chipped away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That sucks about the space thing, Ive been screwing around for like a 1000 cycles so this game probably has a lot of surface gone. I thought they fixed that but oh well. Gives me a reason to play a more efficient game after this I guess.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 13, 2018

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just found my first slush geyser, not sure what to do with it besides cooling the metal refinery I have yet to build. (100 cycles, SPOM, have exosuits but no docks yet, fully mushroom)

Edit: Maybe use it for my future toilet and shower builds?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I’d say make s big tank around it and just let it build up a shitload of cold water. That way if you need it later you have a giant tank of liquid that won’t raise temperature too quick.

EDIT: Also showers and toilets don’t need anything but an initial charge of water. All you have to do is sieve and cycle back to them, all the bathroom stuff doesn’t care about food poisoning and lavatories are water positive. You need a small tank for the eventual overflow and the dirt from the sieve will have lots of food poisoning in it so have the compost behind a sink, but other than that toilets/showers/sinks are completely self contained once set up.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 13, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I got my second SPOM set up last night that will be feeding oxygen into my exosuits. I had some trouble with evacuating the initial space, so I'm going to have to live with some minor damage to the hydrogen generator.

I also have 5 tanks of excess hydrogen sitting around from my first SPOM that feeds my base. I'm trying to get my natural gas setup going, but it's taking a while to mine everything out, and i haven't even got the wires and other infrastructure set up. All of this is sitting next to my Cu volcano which i have yet to do anything with. Dumping my excess H2 into the AETN seems like a waste off it's not going to any actual use yet.

Also, how many mushrooms support how many dupes?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
3 fried mushrooms per dupe is 1120 kcal per day ((2800/7.5)*3), so 1.12 dupes per 3. Uncooked is 960kcal per day, so workable at 3 but will slowly eat through the entire stockpile.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Is polluted oxygen dangerous if it contains no germs?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It damages equipment expecting oxygen, and it accelerates food decay significantly, but otherwise no.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
drat, i got a natural gas geyser real close to my starting point, and a cool steam vent a little further down. i can use the cool steam vent for a SPOM, i know, but what about the natgas? is it kinda universally regarded as mediocre now, especially since coal can run for so long?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Nat gas still kind of owns because you can set it up and pretty much forget about it like anything else supplied by a geyser. Use the geyser calculator to see what it outputs and go from there. Coal is indeed really convenient but hatch farming still eats up dupe time and having (essentially infinite) resources to manage. Same with petroleum since the refinery is weirdly dupe operated.

As you tack on more and more powered stuff having a guaranteed generator like NG set up can come in real handy when you haven’t paid attention and poo poo goes pear shaped for a minute.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Natgas is decent now that you can store and use excess gas with 100% efficiency. That ensures the generators don't simply shut off when the vent goes dormant.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I haven't played in a long time so I was wondering how everyone deals with oil. I used to build a mini base down in the oil biome to keep the heat there and also because dupes have to run the machines. It ended up being a pain. Is there a better way?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
My oil refineries are immediately below the starting biome, fully insulated. Works pretty well.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

JayKay posted:

Just found my first slush geyser, not sure what to do with it besides cooling the metal refinery I have yet to build. (100 cycles, SPOM, have exosuits but no docks yet, fully mushroom)

Edit: Maybe use it for my future toilet and shower builds?

Gulp fish. Gets you some extra dirt for sleet wheat and lice meal (for glossy dreckos) and converts the polluted water to water (usually ice if you don't heat it). You'll also get extra egg shells for steel. Fish are great for shells in general since you don't have to groom them and gulp fish subsist on polluted water instead of algae.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

enraged_camel posted:

My oil refineries are immediately below the starting biome, fully insulated. Works pretty well.

I meant the oil well. Don't dupes have to work them?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Travic posted:

I meant the oil well. Don't dupes have to work them?

The oil well requires work every four cycles. It's definitely not a big deal.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

enraged_camel posted:

The oil well requires work every four cycles. It's definitely not a big deal.

Oh cool. That's very reasonable.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

One thing I haven't learned at all is automation. I was thinking my first automation project would be setting the lights to shut off during sleepy time.

What can be done with the first Automation tech (Automation Control)? The signal switch / power shutoff don't seem too useful by themselves. Do you need sensors to make any of this worthwhile?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mechanical Ape posted:

One thing I haven't learned at all is automation. I was thinking my first automation project would be setting the lights to shut off during sleepy time.

What can be done with the first Automation tech (Automation Control)? The signal switch / power shutoff don't seem too useful by themselves. Do you need sensors to make any of this worthwhile?

As a first automation task I definitely recommend connecting a smart battery to run a coal generator. Automation usually needs sensors, some of the advanced stuff using gates can do without.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Speaking of automation, what's a good way to load balancer power generators. Where I kick on natgas first, then a second or third second if needed.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

User0015 posted:

Speaking of automation, what's a good way to load balancer power generators. Where I kick on natgas first, then a second or third second if needed.

I think there are only those smart batteries, hook them up to the circuit and set so they give signals at differently low levels, like one battery is active below 80%, second below 60, third below 40. Attach those signals to generators so more are switched on if the stored charge still drops after the previous generators were switched on..

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

User0015 posted:

Multiple smart batteries. But this raises the question, why not just kick them all on/off and let the battery deal with the balancing. I usually use multiple smart batteries if I have multiple types of power that I want to operate with different priorities, ex: Run the natural gas first (battery setting 90-70), then the coal if that isn't enough (battery setting 90-40).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Nat gas still kind of owns because you can set it up and pretty much forget about it like anything else supplied by a geyser. Use the geyser calculator to see what it outputs and go from there. Coal is indeed really convenient but hatch farming still eats up dupe time and having (essentially infinite) resources to manage. Same with petroleum since the refinery is weirdly dupe operated.

As you tack on more and more powered stuff having a guaranteed generator like NG set up can come in real handy when you haven’t paid attention and poo poo goes pear shaped for a minute.

Technically you can sidestep the oil refinery, though it isn't simple. Heat crude oil to 400C and it turns to petroleum. Heat it too high and it turns to sour gas. Complex, but doesn't require duplicant time post setup. It also gives a better return of 1:1 crude:petroleum compared to the 2:1 of the refinery.

It's why I chose a map seed that I knew had a major volcano in my latest playthrough.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 13, 2018

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

As a first automation task I definitely recommend connecting a smart battery to run a coal generator. Automation usually needs sensors, some of the advanced stuff using gates can do without.

Ah, thanks! I never noticed that coal generators keep running until they run out of fuel! :argh: I wonder how much power I've wasted that way.

Smart batteries suddenly make a lot more sense to me.

You know, I've owned ONI for quite some time but somehow, it wasn't until the current build that everything seemed to "click" and make me want to stick with a colony instead of starting fresh every session. And holy smokes there's a lot to learn.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Ah, thanks! I never noticed that coal generators keep running until they run out of fuel! :argh: I wonder how much power I've wasted that way.

Smart batteries suddenly make a lot more sense to me.

You know, I've owned ONI for quite some time but somehow, it wasn't until the current build that everything seemed to "click" and make me want to stick with a colony instead of starting fresh every session. And holy smokes there's a lot to learn.

It took me a few weeks to get out of that constant restart cycle, I've mentioned this 1000 cycle game I'm playing a lot but its the first one I've taken nearly this far, using it to learn a lot of the late game stuff better now that I'm fully out of that early game cycle.

The urge to restart again is creeping on me though because it'd be nice to jump to where I am now without like the 500 cycles of playing semi-creative mode messing with all sorts of ideas/optimizing. I should probably take this one to rockets first though, even if my surface level is 50 tiles closer to than it should be.

EDIT: For something of substance here's a setup for gas management that can save a ton of power:

Put a gas element sensor on the pipe tile directly in front of a shutoff value, and it will work like a filter so long as the pipes don't back up. 10w vs 120w and only active when necessary to move the selected gas. It's not 100% foolproof but you can save yourself a whole lot of power if you use these in place of filters everywhere you need to split gasses off. Just make sure the pipes don't back up or the shutoffs start doing weird things. I also recommend doubling up in places like AETNs so you don't get any stray gasses breaking machinery. I use the water vent trick to make those rooms infinite but high pressure vents work okay too if you keep an eye on how full they are getting.

Works the same with liquid shutoff and sensors.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 14, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Put a gas element sensor on the pipe tile directly in front of a shutoff value, and it will work like a filter so long as the pipes don't back up. 10w vs 120w and only active when necessary to move the selected gas. It's not 100% foolproof but you can save yourself a whole lot of power if you use these in place of filters everywhere you need to split gasses off. Just make sure the pipes don't back up or the shutoffs start doing weird things. I also recommend doubling up in places like AETNs so you don't get any stray gasses breaking machinery. I use the water vent trick to make those rooms infinite but high pressure vents work okay too if you keep an eye on how full they are getting.

Works the same with liquid shutoff and sensors.

The shutoffs say 10w, but I couldn't actually ever detect any power consumption. They seem to need access to power, but not actually consume it.

You can make the shutoffs failure proof, but it takes more stuff. The gas has to be always moving so you need to create a permanent loop. You would also need two sensors and two shutoffs in the loop.

For those interested the setup is documented here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/984pt9/robust_pipe_filter_or_how_i_learned_to_love_loops/

Edit: This also allows you to construct a thermal or germ version of the gas/liquid filter.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 14, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Smiling Demon posted:

The shutoffs say 10w, but I couldn't actually ever detect any power consumption. They seem to need access to power, but not actually consume it.

You can make the shutoffs failure proof, but it takes more stuff. The gas has to be always moving so you need to create a permanent loop. You would also need two sensors and two shutoffs in the loop.

For those interested the setup is documented here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/984pt9/robust_pipe_filter_or_how_i_learned_to_love_loops/

Edit: This also allows you to construct a thermal or germ version of the gas/liquid filter.

Yeah, in my case the infinite rooms keep any of the connections from backing up and then I circle it back around to itself, but I figured someone fleshed it out further. It’s pretty nice to just straight up avoid filters once you get the hang of it.

One other thing that can catch you up is making sure to use bridges to keep the flow direction steady, since all the inputs are in a line joining the pipe to itself can have weirdness happen in flow direction. Good use of bridges solves this (like they do everything else). You can see how I use my bridges in the 2nd screenshot/its mentioned a bit in the guide.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 14, 2018

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

switch from water-based O2 via SPOM to sterile pO2 via Morb huge success... until I let a dupe carry slimelung filled slime into the base without realizing it. Oops!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

GloomMouse posted:

switch from water-based O2 via SPOM to sterile pO2 via Morb huge success... until I let a dupe carry slimelung filled slime into the base without realizing it. Oops!

They can breathe non-green speckled oxygen when they have drat well earned it!

I guess this is pretty much what ore scrubbers were made for - that, and they apparently can be used to disinfect food poisoning from bottled water? I haven't ever managed to get to that stage since I usually transition to fried mushrooms and berries by that point and don't need water for that anymore.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ore scrubbers never get used on slime my dupes bring into the base.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Is there any use for sour gas other than venting heat into space?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Cool it down to condense it methane, the it will evaporate into natural gas. There will be byproduct of sulphur, but it has no use in getting at the moment.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The game really needs the ability to tell a dupe to do a thing right now. It's possible through loving around with priorities and whatnot but that's super tedious.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Also: I permanently have a ghost astronaut that if I try to remove, the game crashes or he is deleted forever.

Also: The rocket destroys everything needed to make the rocket leave.

Also: The sensors are crap and useless.

Also: All this rocket stuff requires too much time and resources for such little payoff.

Basically, gently caress rockets?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

misguided rage posted:

The game really needs the ability to tell a dupe to do a thing right now. It's possible through loving around with priorities and whatnot but that's super tedious.

With the Job system and the job priorities plus system priorities you should nearly always be able to get dupes to do what you want them to do. The worst is when the dupe ai fails and they end up in situations no real ai would ever be in. I just use sandbox mode for those. However, I certainly hope that one of the big improvements we see is much better dupe ai.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I am liking this game bit I have the worst luck when it comes to water. Starting with very little and then being surrounded by slime and gas. It's also starting to wear on me how much work hauling actually is. Like 60 seconds of mining will take several days for the dupes to clear. Often meaning that junk piles up all over the places. I have injected jugs of pee that have been sitting next to the food stash for probably 25 cycles and forcing them to haul it just makes another one show up almost instantly.

How do I deal with slime? If they mine it or enter gas that's infected they get a lethal disease that spreads easily yeah?

Katt fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 15, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s not that lethal and it doesn’t really spread significantly. They’ll get slimelung germs on (in?) them, but their bodies get rid of some over time (click a dupe and check the Germs tab for numbers). It takes a little while for their immunity to start falling, and a little while longer for it to get to zero, at which point they get sick and have to use a med bed for a while.

You can store slime outside of your colony or in a container that’s under water to contain the slimelung germs. E: or in chlorine I think.

And yeah sweeping can be brutally slow at the beginning.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 15, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Pro tip: don’t worry about sweeping until you unlock jobs and make one of your dupes a gofer. Then prioritize supply and storage jobs for that dupe, and depriotize then for the rest.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Dupes keep the stats they get from jobs they have mastered, so make everybody master the supply jobs to speed up hauling by a whole lot.

Just the first level of job takes their carrying capacity from 200kg base to 680kg.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can store slime outside of your colony or in a container that’s under water to contain the slimelung germs. E: or in chlorine I think.

Yeah, basically storing outside keeps it from spreading into the important parts of the base, storing underwater keeps it from gassing out po2 which means no germs in the air, and storing in chlorine will straight up kill all the germs and let you safely move/store it wherever you want. I like to have a little "clean room" for this purpose but that's entirely optional if you don't want to deal with it. Just putting a storage unit out in the slime biome is good enough for the most part.