Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the Detective Pikachu game can the protagonist understand all Pokémon or just Pikachu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

The only reason HGSS had the Battle Frontier was because it was easier to leave it in than to replace it with *just* a Battle Tower since the games are basically GF-designed hacks of Platinum. This is why we got the Battle Maison in ORAS, though it was a dick move to reference the Frontier at all.

I don't understand this attitude. I mean, they spent time modeling a 3D diorama for it, and they did that just to make people angry? That doesn't make any sense.

People are so ready to attribute malice to what is just a creative decision they disagree with.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:sigh: I guess I’m getting this. Is anyone in the US offering any kind of deal/sale since I missed out on the Prime preorder discount?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RatHat posted:

In the Detective Pikachu game can the protagonist understand all Pokémon or just Pikachu?

Just that specific Pikachu.

There's some implications the Pikachu has his dad's mind but the game never really clarifies. It has some strong sequel bait.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

galagazombie posted:

Remakes of Gen IV and up would really be a waste of time. The graphics, sound and memory don't suffer from super limited hardware like Gen I-II did. And IV was the last Gen that really had any significant overhaul to the game systems. At best you'd get a few retconned fairy-types and some Mega's. There's nothing integral to update like breeding, the Special split, abilities, the attack split, etc.

on the other hand, the video game industry has proven repeatedly that people will pay to play the games they liked but prettier

(and i'll be there day 1 for a black/white remake. maybe gen 4 too if they cut out enough of the cruft and make sinnoh fun to navigate)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

so theyre not gonna announce anything about bank before launch huh

There's not a purpose right now for Pokemon Bank. The game only has models for the original 151 + Meltan & Melmetal, and there's plenty of storage space in the game box. When the Generation 8 games come out it will likely be updated to transfer out Pokemon (and probably be the only place to get Mewtwo, Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, and some random Kanto Pokemon for the rest of the generation)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

galagazombie posted:

Remakes of Gen IV and up would really be a waste of time. The graphics, sound and memory don't suffer from super limited hardware like Gen I-II did. And IV was the last Gen that really had any significant overhaul to the game systems. At best you'd get a few retconned fairy-types and some Mega's. There's nothing integral to update like breeding, the Special split, abilities, the attack split, etc.

let's go and pokemon go have gotten me back into pokemon after like 11 years so personally i wouldn't mind switch remakes of gens 4+ because i don't have the consoles for them and would like to play them on switch

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nanigans posted:

:sigh: I guess I’m getting this. Is anyone in the US offering any kind of deal/sale since I missed out on the Prime preorder discount?

This seems to be a legit place to get a bit of a deal. I removed the referral links but found it at Slick Deals. $47.95
Pikachu
https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-switch-pokemon-let-go-pikachu-95964d6533779064
Eevee
https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-switch-pokemon-let-go-eevee-5989589b5aa36df5

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when they remake gen iv they should let me put in all the monsters i like, even ones from newer gens. also when they remake gen v and vi, plus vii

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

when they remake gen iv they should let me put in all the monsters i like, even ones from newer gens. also when they remake gen v and vi, plus vii

let's go! to sinnoh!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any word on whether Alola forms can be obtained in Let's Go?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dehry posted:

This seems to be a legit place to get a bit of a deal. I removed the referral links but found it at Slick Deals. $47.95
Pikachu
https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-switch-pokemon-let-go-pikachu-95964d6533779064
Eevee
https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-switch-pokemon-let-go-eevee-5989589b5aa36df5

Thanks! Picked up Eevee version!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

All of them are obtained via trades, so they'll get bonus exp!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah but I think you have to wait until postgame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope there's a third version called Let's Go Oddish

Now I'm thinking about a lil oddish riding on a hat and I just made myself angry that this will never happen

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sexpig by night posted:

I agree with this, Platinum ruled, D/P were the lame beta versions

Having played Platinum a year ago: it did not age well. Grinding to stand a chance at Giratina was a huge pain in the rear end and loving running roaming legendaries are a war crime.

Diamond got me back in for the first time since Red but JFC I did not like the late game one bit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I won't lie, the way I play means I kinda hate mixing in traded 'mons into a team of non-traded mons for normal gameplay.

The way I play, I keep all my team the same level - when someone levels up, they get switched to the back of the team. I only switch out for type advantages if I'm really struggling, or if the guy I'm using is actually helpless. Which means that if I have someone that levels up a whole bunch quicker than the rest of the team, they tend to see far less battle than anyone else. This tendency also feeds into my not usually using the experience share, as some pokemon even without trading just levelup faster than others, which tends to lead to near-exclusive use of the slowest levellers on the team as the rest of the team keeps up or even manages to stay ahead in levels through the experience share alone.

I've tried to break this habit before. I actually can't do it. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The games themselves encourage you to worry about that too much by having boss fights where if you don't have a few pokemon of the right types to survive attacks gently caress YOU

I googled Ultra Necrozma so I'd be prepared for the bullshit and well let's just say it's a good thing I found way more than 80 totem stickers already

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ultra Necrozma is easily foiled by a cute little Zorua with Toxic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

less laughter posted:

Ultra Necrozma is easily foiled by a cute little Zorua with Toxic

Mimikyu with Toxic seems like a better bet, how does Zorua get the move off?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ultra Necrozma’s AI is fooled by Zorua’s Illusion and keeps using Photon Geyser which Zorua is immune to

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

less laughter posted:

Ultra Necrozma’s AI is fooled by Zorua’s Illusion and keeps using Photon Geyser which Zorua is immune to

So long as Zorua's disguised as a poison or fighting type.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
LMAO at the last few pages. Somebody should buy that guy an avatary avatar.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

LMAO at the last few pages. Somebody should buy that guy an avatary avatar.

Do it coward

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

RatHat posted:

Yeah but I think you have to wait until postgame.

I think Serebii mentioned being able to once you got to Fuschia

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

precision posted:

I hope there's a third version called Let's Go Oddish

Now I'm thinking about a lil oddish riding on a hat and I just made myself angry that this will never happen

Let's go farfetch'd. You can't even evolve your starter, so there will be no disappointment.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
MOST IMPORTANT LET'S GO QUESTION: Will my Blastoise keep his bitchin' aviators when I trade it over.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

no. he won't.

None of the variants carry over.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BlazetheInferno posted:

So long as Zorua's disguised as a poison or fighting type.

I legitimately had no idea the AI did that, I thought it just randomly used moves. Since when has it been like that?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

precision posted:

I legitimately had no idea the AI did that, I thought it just randomly used moves. Since when has it been like that?

Since Gen 1. Some trainers have always had 'good AI' which had them prioritize super effective attacks. It's been refined a lot over the gens so now it can include some routines, can lead to opposing trainers switching sometimes etc.

It's also how Twitch Plays Pokemon beat the Elite 4 since Lance's Dragonite spammed Agility forever against the Venomoth since Agility was a psychic move :downs:.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

precision posted:

I think random wild encounters might do that, but trainer battles at least have *always* chosen attacks strong against your pokemon if available - though early on, it went only by type, leading to Lance's Dragonite spamming agility against poison types in gen 1 because it was a psychic type move.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, Twitch Plays Pokemon was such a great ride and the kind of thing that nobody who wasn't there could ever appreciate or even understand

Is there a good comprehensive write up about it anywhere? Like covering the mechanics of how it even managed to succeed at all etc

RME
Feb 20, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think random wild encounters might do that, but trainer battles at least have *always* chosen attacks strong against your pokemon if available - though early on, it went only by type, leading to Lance's Dragonite spamming agility against poison types in gen 1 because it was a psychic type move.

Gen 1 would also do this to include non-damaging moves too, notably lorelai's dewgong would spam rest if you had something weak to psychic with infinite PP
interestingly, in the yellow version, they hard programmed lorelai's dewgong specifically to override that on rest

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The issue is that the Necrozma is a "smart" wild Pokemon, something that doesn't really happen all that often. Most Legendaries you aim to capture use moves as randomly as a normal Wild mon would. So that's why it's a bit unbelievable to some people that it might actually fight you with some intelligence.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

precision posted:

Man, Twitch Plays Pokemon was such a great ride and the kind of thing that nobody who wasn't there could ever appreciate or even understand

Is there a good comprehensive write up about it anywhere? Like covering the mechanics of how it even managed to succeed at all etc

the real big thing that pushed it into success was that eventually there were 2 input modes, chaos and democracy
chaos was the default just take any input and slam it into the game
democracy would have voting windows where it would take the most common input would win out

a lot of the game got done in chaos through brute force and general trends in the otherwise entropic input, but a few parts really just needed democracy in order to navigate some narrow passages that had 1 way drops

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Other ways to cheese Ultra Necrozma involve Pokemon that can survive one hit (with Sturdy/Focus Sash/affection, or Mimikyu) and then using Destiny Bond to take it down with you, or have a Ghost Curse it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

precision posted:

TPP could have been a cool yearly tradition with a new gen each summer but the person running it decided to burn their 15 minutes of fame and immediately go into GSC like a week later and no one cared

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

RME posted:

the real big thing that pushed it into success was that eventually there were 2 input modes, chaos and democracy
chaos was the default just take any input and slam it into the game
democracy would have voting windows where it would take the most common input would win out

a lot of the game got done in chaos through brute force and general trends in the otherwise entropic input, but a few parts really just needed democracy in order to navigate some narrow passages that had 1 way drops

Democracy became a thing after the shitshow that was the rocket hideout, right?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Countblanc posted:

TPP could have been a cool yearly tradition with a new gen each summer but the person running it decided to burn their 15 minutes of fame and immediately go into GSC like a week later and no one cared

it's still running to this day and it's a nightmare of garish sidebars and tickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

absolutely anything posted:

it's still running to this day and it's a nightmare of garish sidebars and tickers

i remember seeing somoene describe it as the digital version of a bunch of japanese salarymen in some back alley rolling dice