Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? Comics have fan service to, that’s what everyone calls it. Is anime the first time you’ve ever heard that term? Because comics was the first place I heard it.

People didn't call titties fan service until the anime subculture blew up in the early 90s. Before then, Fan Service was things like Spock showing up in an episode of TNG: something that isn't necessarily serving the story but it's a thing fans of something are happy to see regardless of context. Like easter eggs, almost.

People used to call blatant T&A "cheesecake", but then horrible anime fans started using the term fanservice for no reason I can discern, and it spread from there. It doesn't make sense really, because it kind of makes you look bad if you use it. If panty shots are fan service, what does it say about the fans?

Lol gently caress off.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am confused by thst image, is it supposed to be an SJW being strangeled by NPC Leia?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, Jabba is clearly Pepe, so Leia is the SJW. Which she literally is.

In skimming through that Twitter thread, Death Ray seems to be giving himself any amount of credit at all, despite the fact that without him being there, CG would have imploded exactly the same.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

site posted:

Aren't you that dumbass nobody that came into the last thread telling everybody they were wrong while never actually having an idea of their own

Hey, don't chase him away! He hasn't told us the one weird trick to defeating fascism that he kept promising in the last thread yet! I'm sure he'll get to it any day now...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know, it's amazing that ive never heard of that guy spoken about by anyone, in any capacity, anywhere, ever, because reading that thread it sounds like he's singlehandly responsible for bringing down comicsgate

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Death Ray posted:

Anyone interested in learning about the small but critical role that this thread's previous incarnation, "The Dark Side of the Comics Industry", played in the current collapse of ComicsGate, here's a link to my Twitter column on the subject:

One of the few rules of this thread was specifically made to keep your dumb rear end out of it and somehow you didn't comprehend that. What a goddamn moron.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I hope responding to that tweet thread doesn't count as including him in the thread, but I'm trying to follow the series of events he's describing.

I definitely think this is the most relevant of his fifty tweets in the thread, though.

https://twitter.com/IAmDeathRay/status/1062396666089795584

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

One of the few rules of this thread was specifically made to keep your dumb rear end out of it and somehow you didn't comprehend that. What a goddamn moron.

It's almost exactly a month since the last time, to the hour.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Edge & Christian posted:

I hope responding to that tweet thread doesn't count as including him in the thread, but I'm trying to follow the series of events he's describing.

I definitely think this is the most relevant of his fifty tweets in the thread, though.

https://twitter.com/IAmDeathRay/status/1062396666089795584

I don't even want to look. Is the whole thing the story of how he single-handedly took down the Nazi party?

Also the quote about attention is...telling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

These feel related

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if taking the time-change into account makes it precisely to the hour, or makes it an hour further off.

site posted:

you know, it's amazing that ive never heard of that guy spoken about by anyone, in any capacity, anywhere, ever, because reading that thread it sounds like he's singlehandly responsible for bringing down comicsgate

His comic Weapon Brown had fans around here a few years ago IIRC. I think it's the same guy? From what I remember of the art that got posted periodically it looks like the same style.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
weapon brown is his twitter banner image so i think so yeah

can't say i've ever heard of it tho

e: but i meant in the context of comicsgate, ive never seen a creator or big anti-cg person like renfamous ever mention them at all, so it's pretty funny to me that he positions himself at the forefront of its destruction

site fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 13, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduke posted:

His comic Weapon Brown had fans around here a few years ago IIRC. I think it's the same guy? From what I remember of the art that got posted periodically it looks like the same style.

Yeah, that's him. It's a fun enough book.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Archyduke posted:

I don't know if taking the time-change into account makes it precisely to the hour, or makes it an hour further off.

Weapon Brown was popular in the newspaper strip thread back when it was running.

I would be dishonest to say that I didn’t like it. Heck, I even chipped in for one of his kickstarters for a paperback. I will say that this entire episode made me embarrassed to ever have been a fan though.

What is with So-Called Allies and them feeling entitled to the love and/or respect of the people they are supposedly defending?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Death Ray posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ty

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wow, that dude is full of himself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like he already paid the $10 to get his account back, as he seems to be only probated now. Hope that $10 for a twitter follower or two was worth it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In 4 hours is he gonna post again? XO can I request you just keep banning and not-permaing, cause he'll pay for Lowtax's robospine on his own.

Also, now that the CG is dead or dying, can we also talk about terrible things the big two do? Like, that Northrop cross promotion Marvel tried.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When someone is banned and probated they keep the probation avatar until the probation is over, then the banned avatar shows up. There's no way to know until then if they bought an account again or not. But if he posts again I imagine the outcome would be identical for him.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lager posted:

Hey, don't chase him away! He hasn't told us the one weird trick to defeating fascism that he kept promising in the last thread yet! I'm sure he'll get to it any day now...

I mean, isn't the one weird trick just "Hit them in the wallet"? These guys pretty obviously don't have permanent deep pockets and don't have the talent to get stuff out on their own, so making them radioactive enough that the big two won't touch them and social media no platform them seems like enough to make sure that they don't get to spread their poison. And it seems like at least the big two are on board with this (though also screwing over decent authors who engage with Comicsgate) and social media is trying to at least sweep the alt right under the rug.

Comicsgate's main failure is due to being a sliver of a sliver. These movements all seem to pool from the same kinds of people, and in many cases the literal same people. It's a small slice of the audience, but a small slice of the huge gamer audience is still big. A slice of the already small comics audience involves a failure to even get the critical mass to sustain a movement. As long a you actively suppress them instead of ignoring them like was done with Gamergate, Comicsgate should be completely dead soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rkajdi posted:

I mean, isn't the one weird trick just "Hit them in the wallet"? These guys pretty obviously don't have permanent deep pockets and don't have the talent to get stuff out on their own, so making them radioactive enough that the big two won't touch them and social media no platform them seems like enough to make sure that they don't get to spread their poison. And it seems like at least the big two are on board with this (though also screwing over decent authors who engage with Comicsgate) and social media is trying to at least sweep the alt right under the rug.

Comicsgate's main failure is due to being a sliver of a sliver. These movements all seem to pool from the same kinds of people, and in many cases the literal same people. It's a small slice of the audience, but a small slice of the huge gamer audience is still big. A slice of the already small comics audience involves a failure to even get the critical mass to sustain a movement. As long a you actively suppress them instead of ignoring them like was done with Gamergate, Comicsgate should be completely dead soon.

He's not a fan of deplatforming

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

rkajdi posted:

If you didn't see Death Ray's whole thing in the last thread, the dude was insisting that deplatforming is not the answer. What the answer is remains a mystery, as he dragged out his puppet master routine for multiple pages and kept telling everyone he'd reveal the true, foolproof method for defeating fascism, "when we're ready" for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lager posted:

If you didn't see Death Ray's whole thing in the last thread, the dude was insisting that deplatforming is not the answer. What the answer is remains a mystery, as he dragged out his puppet master routine for multiple pages and kept telling everyone he'd reveal the true, foolproof method for defeating fascism, "when we're ready" for it.

Also I was told to stop saying to the obvious Nazi to "gently caress off."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Also I was told to stop saying to the obvious Nazi to "gently caress off."

And then a bunch of queer people were told to ignore people who say we should treat people who want to kill us with respect

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh yeah, he's that guy. I think he got angry at me for suggesting no platforming last time too. I forgot what his thing was, and the very odd art he just posted made my brain hurt a bit.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Says he's not a fan of deplatforming, gets banned anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

rkajdi posted:

Oh yeah, he's that guy. I think he got angry at me for suggesting no platforming last time too. I forgot what his thing was, and the very odd art he just posted made my brain hurt a bit.

He thinks that deplatforming is waiting for "Big Brother" to solve all the world's problems, yet he seems to be perfectly fine holding up Vox Day's indiegogo project getting cancelled as a huge victory (for which he positions himself as the spearhead, naturally) so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess his thing is being a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

Says he's not a fan of deplatforming, gets banned anyway.

Don't you see, we deplatformed him and he became powerful enough to take down Comicsgate singlehandedly a month later. His point has been proven!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Unlucky7 posted:

What is with So-Called Allies and them feeling entitled to the love and/or respect of the people they are supposedly defending?

They were never allies they're just narcissists who fuel themselves on the thought of the recognition and admiration they think gets automatically bestowed on people who are allies

site fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 14, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Unlucky7 posted:

It's even worse in the LGBT+ comunity, especially for trans people. Once, I mentioned on a LGBT+ discord that I question my gender identity and not-to-long after got a PM from an "ally" asking if I was a "trap" and showing me his penis.

It's uncomfortable, to say the least. I think some of it is that people have internalized the narrative of the racist ideology called "the white man's burden" that we are just supposed to be so happy that "a superior person" has decided to help us, since we clearly can't help ourselves, that we clearly should shower them in praise like its loving Dances With Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar/Ferngully.

Don't get me wrong: it's not just white people or men or het or cis or etc., I'm just referencing the name of the ideology and the idea it comes from perceived superiority.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I really, desperately hope that "trap" is the next atrocious nerd-culture term that gets rightly recognized as enormously lovely. Well, I mean, that's selfish, objectively if either that or the "reee" thing died first I'd be happy either way.

Edit: I hope that doesn't read as a call-out of Covok in particular. I'm sorry that you ran into that kind of shittiness in what should have been a much better space.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
trap does seem to be dying out or at least is getting called out in the anime circles by folks who I know who still do cosplay, I mean you still see it among edgelords, but general community seems to be better about it or maybe it's just the folks I know aren't teenagers anymore and are the adults running things or doing fabrication.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Archyduke posted:

I really, desperately hope that "trap" is the next atrocious nerd-culture term that gets rightly recognized as enormously lovely. Well, I mean, that's selfish, objectively if either that or the "reee" thing died first I'd be happy either way.

Edit: I hope that doesn't read as a call-out of Covok in particular. I'm sorry that you ran into that kind of shittiness in what should have been a much better space.

Not at all. I wasn't approving of the term. I was putting it in quote fingers because I didn't want it to be thought of to be my own words. I don't approve of the term either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I thought "trap" was slang for prostitute/hooking. Am I misremembering that amazing twitter thread that is being made into movie?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I thought "trap" was slang for prostitute/hooking. Am I misremembering that amazing twitter thread that is being made into movie?

"Trap" in this context arose from 4chan (naturally) where people would post pictures of androgynous anime characters and try to bait people into admitting they thought the girl in the picture was cute only to go "haha that's actually a guy," and in response people would post the Admiral Akbar "it's a trap" meme.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a theory that all these "Trap!" people or just dudes that are transphobic that they think they're such massive poon slayers but they can't do that because how do they know that hot babe they take home doesn't actually have a dick, and that would make them gay.

When in reality they're gross horrible shithead man children who think transpeople would actually put themselves in harms way in order to have some kind of thrill of tricking someone into thinking they're the other sex.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Covok posted:

Not at all. I wasn't approving of the term. I was putting it in quote fingers because I didn't want it to be thought of to be my own words. I don't approve of the term either.

Yeah, that's exactly how I read it, it was my own post that I thought was unclear.

Coolness Averted posted:

trap does seem to be dying out or at least is getting called out in the anime circles by folks who I know who still do cosplay, I mean you still see it among edgelords, but general community seems to be better about it or maybe it's just the folks I know aren't teenagers anymore and are the adults running things or doing fabrication.

I mostly run into it now in MMORPGs, where since there's an independent usage of the actual word (a "trap party" is a party that misrepresents how prepared or capable it is-- ie. capable players are lured into a "trap" by bad players inflating their abilities) lovely people can get away with using the transphobic meaning more easily since it flies under the radar.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

lol they fought against the nazis in ww2, now they fight for the rights of refugees and foreigners

EVIL

You might even say they fight for the rights of every man, and that they're real Americans.

It's a little sad the guy who comes out to that song is huge bigot. Catchy as gently caress, though.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 14, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Weapon Brown was popular in the newspaper strip thread back when it was running.

I would be dishonest to say that I didn’t like it. Heck, I even chipped in for one of his kickstarters for a paperback. I will say that this entire episode made me embarrassed to ever have been a fan though.

Yeah I remember Death Ray being an okay guy who made a fun comic with Weapon Brown from the old Newspaper Comic threads. He just needs to stay away from this thread and try listening to feedback rather than trying to act smug and pretend he knows best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You might even say they fight for the rights of every man, and that they're real Americans.

It's a little sad the guy who comes out to that song is huge bigot. Catchy as gently caress, though.
If it's any consolation, it was written for the US Express (Barry Windham and Mike Rotondo) and the worst story I could find about either of them is one time in the 1980s Barry Windham was really drunk and dropped his keys into a toilet full of puke.