Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
n/a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

agreed

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what's your point? just lay it bare, stop talking in circles and invoking "it makes u think" because quite honestly, it doesn't.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Republican politicians will move leftward on healthcare the second that they think that not doing so will cause them to lose power.
If the Obama admin had brought in UHC immediately it would already be so popular that running on a campaign of abolishing it would be suicidal.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can have civil rights, just wait until 2024 or beyond. Nope. No sell.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

cohsae posted:

Republican politicians will move leftward on healthcare the second that they think that not doing so will cause them to lose power.
If the Obama admin had brought in UHC immediately it would already be so popular that running on a campaign of abolishing it would be suicidal.

Yeah, that's why every Republican senator voted against ACA and centrist Dems forced the abandonment of the public option. The policy proposal just wasn't far enough to the left.

In retrospect you could argue stronger, better legislative would have been more popular and harder to eliminate. But it has to have the votes to pass in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KingNastidon posted:

I don't care what you personally want in a country with 100M+ voters. I generally want the same end goal, for what it's worth. I'm asking whether you're that confident that >=50% of the voting population will give the Democratic Party their support to pass an immediate, significant restructuring of our healthcare system when faced with real world upsides/downsides. And if you're not 100% confident, which seems reasonable enough given 2010 elections following Obamacare, whether there are other acceptable incremental approaches you'd accept that could eventually get to the same end goal with broader popular support.
70% of Americans support Medicare for All.

You're really all over the place, alternately trying to appeal to popular support and to a supposed powerful voting lobby of people who might suffer materially if the insane profits of insurance companies go down. I thought people were being unkind by jumping to the conclusion that you're a stereotypical decorum-and-compromise obsessed lib, but goddamn.

KingNastidon posted:

Right. And let's say for various reasons you're unable to convince the neceasary centrist Dems to go for full M4A.
The vast bulk of Democratic voters who aren't self-identified leftists are not "centrists." They don't share your ideological and attitudinal investment in liberal centrism.

I could go through every little picayune point you're arguing for, but all that really matters is this:

Kobayashi posted:

Whatever game of chess you think you’re playing at the end of history in your head is not going to survive the material reality of 6 more years of climate change.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

KingNastidon posted:

Yeah, that's why every Republican senator voted against ACA and centrist Dems forced the abandonment of the public option. The policy proposal just wasn't far enough to the left.

In retrospect you could argue stronger, better legislative would have been more popular and harder to eliminate. But it has to have the votes to pass in the first place.

Hmm and maybe that happened because we kowtowed to a centrist shithead Senator from Connecticut. Maybe if the left elements of the party told Joe to step in line or get hosed, we could have had some real change.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

KingNastidon posted:

Yet...both Obama and Hillary were unable to come out in support of gay marriage in 2008. But their presidency likely moved that issue more to the left than a Republican president would have.

So it's completely unimaginable that a similar situation could occur with a Democratic president/congress in 2020/2022/2024 in regards to M4A. And being unwilling to consider that scenario and how you'll react -- and instead just resort to telling people to go gently caress themselves isn't great.

So just like it happened for gay marriage, the national democratic party's plan for medicare for all will be to do absolutely nothing and wait for state governments and the courts to handle it for them?

What an inspiring message to bring people to the polls with

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Obama won because he was an incredibly charismatic politician. The results of the 2016 election show precisely how well Obama's agenda ran without Obama to sell it.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

70% of Americans support Medicare for All.

The vast bulk of Democratic voters who aren't self-identified leftists are not "centrists." They don't share your ideological and attitudinal investment in liberal centrism.

Alright, we will have to wait until 2021 when Democrats have won control the presidency, house, and senate. And they all uniformly vote in favor for not just M4A, but all the furthest-left nuances around drug price negotiation, supplemental R&D in lieu of lost pharma revenue, HCP reimbursement changes, nationalization of medicare PBMs, etc. Until then I suppose it's silly to ponder the must haves vs. compromises of a currently completely hypothetical M4A bill.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

God you suck, why are you even here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Or you could just run on the whole shebang and let the Republicans worry about extracting concessions? You don't have to do their loving job for them you wet poo poo.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingNastidon posted:

Alright, we will have to wait until 2021 when Democrats have won control the presidency, house, and senate. And they all uniformly vote in favor for not just M4A, but all the furthest-left nuances around drug price negotiation, supplemental R&D in lieu of lost pharma revenue, HCP reimbursement changes, nationalization of medicare PBMs, etc. Until then I suppose it's silly to ponder the must haves vs. compromises of a currently completely hypothetical M4A bill.

You’re liberal as gently caress and the Chapos could do a reading series based on your posts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KingNastidon posted:

What are you talking about and why should I care? What's your point?

Are you just blurting out as many complicated-sounding details of policy because it's dawned on you that you've been made a fool of, and you need to claw black your imaginary status as the Adult in the Room again?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bring back the cape-swishing puppetmaster Nazi, that was better than this

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

What do you even get out of this?

Voters and people in general are not something you can reduce to a single point on the left-to-right number line. The policies we're advocating have generally popular support with lots of people, even if they hate the awful "Democrat" brand, and who can blame them.

But go ahead and keep on with your craven political calculus that's brought you so much success.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KingNastidon posted:

the aca got watered down because a significant chunk of the democratic party is financially beholden to the insurance industry

billy tauzin, who was head of phrma at the time, worked hand in hand with obama and max baucus, who the white house specifically put in charge of the senate version of the bill

whether or not there were votes for a better healthcare bill is moot because there never was going to be one

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

WorkerThread posted:

Voters and people in general are not something you can reduce to a single point on the left-to-right number line. The policies we're advocating have generally popular support with lots of people, even if they hate the awful "Democrat" brand, and who can blame them.

Well, that's reassuring. Given M4A has popular support [absent any actual details or meaningful opposition] across partisan lines it's irrelevant to discuss either the feasibility of legislation passing or what form that legislation may eventually take. I'll leave again for now, but hope to rejoin you in 2021 when such clear and popular legislative goals have been achieved.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

So is this what sealioning is because I was never sure

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
(For this bit, pretend that I constantly eat poo poo, gently caress up everything, see all of my accomplishments effortlessly overturned, leave a legacy of failure, etc.) "You need to grow up and be more realistic, like me."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
heartfelt apology to Human Tornada for throwing a bomb last week and then laughing every time you replied. it was uncalled for and was wholly inaccurate; i knew this at the time, and i acknowledge it was a cheap shot.

KingNastidon posted:

this motherfucker? he can hang out with jonny favstar and friends.

god drat, you succ.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

KingNastidon posted:

Well, that's reassuring. Given M4A has popular support [absent any actual details or meaningful opposition] across partisan lines it's irrelevant to discuss either the feasibility of legislation passing or what form that legislation may eventually take. I'll leave again for now, but hope to rejoin you in 2021 when such clear and popular legislative goals have been achieved.
You talk like you're not defending an approach to politics that failed spectacularly.

Yes, take your ball and go home. We'll all be eating crow when voters embrace vague suggestions of "affordable access to healthcare."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 14, 2018

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Ah yes the tried and true strategy of telling people to temper their hopes and compromise their positions has once again mobilized my supporters and won over my naysayers, my work is done - KingNastidon, succdem

Serf
May 5, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

might i suggest an illustrious posting career over in d&d? i believe they will be more amenable to your smoothbrained posts

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's really funny how libtards bust out the "You don't understand, silly little child, this policy is really complicated" to defend candidates whose positions on everything are vague to the point of meaninglessness.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
“The policy is complicated” is weasel language for one of two things: “it will take time to water down the policy by letting private interests sabotage it” or “our donors would withdraw support so we won’t do it”

It’s incredibly pathetic to parrot it as a constituent

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it took about 18 months to fully implement medicare when the program began, and that was done on typewriters with carbon paper and file cards

it really isn't that complicated

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If only there were some other countries that already do Single Payer healthcare. Maybe even in a variety of different ways so that there'd be plenty of options to chose from to do it.

Sadly none exist so it is going to be really, really difficult.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's more the problem that this thing that polls with over 70% approval just isn't politically viable.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda odd how missouri voted in medical marijuana, electoral financing and lobbying restrictions, a $12 min wage, against increasing consumption taxes, and overturned right to work laws all by 30 point margins except for the tax one, yet claire mccaskill, surely a sensible centrist democrat if there ever was one, totally ate poo poo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Incremental progressivism works! Just ask president Hillary Clinton

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be fairer than she deserves, the joke of 'the ideal candidate in Missouri is a pile of pro-worker progressive ideas attached to an empty seat' exists for a reason. The voters there have the same brain worms that make Massholes vote for republicans to ~even things out~ and all.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kinda odd how missouri voted in medical marijuana, electoral financing and lobbying restrictions, a $12 min wage, against increasing consumption taxes, and overturned right to work laws all by 30 point margins except for the tax one, yet claire mccaskill, surely a sensible centrist democrat if there ever was one, totally ate poo poo

just goes to show, gotta get more racist

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lol that the Democratic senators that lost in Red States didn't just say they voted against Kavanaugh because the man doesn't believe in having a minimum wage law and wants to throw people in prison for life for smoking weed and everyone else into debtors prison after he dismantles medicare.

It's actually easy as hell to win a Senate race once nominated.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

lol that the Democratic senators that lost in Red States didn't just say they voted against Kavanaugh because the man doesn't believe in having a minimum wage law and wants to throw people in prison for life for smoking weed and everyone else into debtors prison after he dismantles medicare.

It's actually easy as hell to win a Senate race once nominated.

Show me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope they rag on PSA for this

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/1062894576904691712

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

for what?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Dude who contributes to PSA also worked as a consultant for Facebook promoting right wing conspiracy theories like "antifa is funded by Soros."