Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Guinness posted:

Is this the poo poo that Smart ForTwos have for their poo poo-rear end transmission?

I swear those dreadful pieces of crap feel like a drunk toddler trying to drive a stick for the first time.

They are terrible for so many reasons, but their horrendous "automated manual" transmission is absolutely the worst. Probably made worse by the fact that the only ones I've driven have all been abused Car2Gos, but still.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

how about maybe shut the gently caress up, the UK and US both suck rear end

apparently customer added 27 liters of coolant to the crank case, a new record.

And how much glitter exactly?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Couldn’t care less is actually the correct one though

That was an autocorrect fuckup I didn't notice because I was already eleven standard drinks into the evening.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Bought a manual integra with water ingress issues at the ripe age of twenty three, fried the clutch and somehow just third gear learning and then teaching every single friend I had that didn't know

Now I'm twenty six with knee issues that make me limp if I drive more than an hour in traffic. Still not going back. Still have that integra, it is covered in mold from the unknown hosed seal somewhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Bought a manual integra with water ingress issues at the ripe age of twenty three, fried the clutch and somehow just third gear learning and then teaching every single friend I had that didn't know

Now I'm twenty six with knee issues that make me limp if I drive more than an hour in traffic. Still not going back. Still have that integra, it is covered in mold from the unknown hosed seal somewhere.

It's either the little round seals around the clips under the winscreen cowling, the tail light gaskets, or the sunroof drains/tray or the boot seal. Or in the case of my beloved 1990 sedan all of the above

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

And how much glitter exactly?

Glitter levels are really irrelevant when you have 30 liters of yogurt.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

how about maybe shut the gently caress up, the UK and US both suck rear end

apparently customer added 27 liters of coolant to the crank case, a new record.

Gotta make sure it won't overheat!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I often make bad decisions in my life, is it a totally horrible idea to buy a manual without knowing how to drive stick and just make myself learn it then? I mean, I am pretty dumb.

That's how I learned. Bought a beat up 1988 Honda Accord, had to get it home. Didn't have a cell phone back then, so I was on my own.

Once it's moving, you're golden. It's getting it moving without (a) stalling or (b) smoking the clutch that's the hard part.

It's better for the clutch to err on the side of stalling, but annoying for people behind you. I had to get it home during Friday rush hour traffic. :cripes: It's been 21 years, and I still stall occasionally (generally if I'm really tired), generally when driving GF's car with it's super touchy clutch (she still stalls it a few times a week, and she's owned it since new - 2005 model purchased in 2004).

shy boy from chess club posted:

They say ATM machine and irregardless on NPR all the time and I swear they do it on purpose.

<eye twitch>

dissss posted:

It's either the little round seals around the clips under the winscreen cowling, the tail light gaskets, or the sunroof drains/tray or the boot seal. Or in the case of my beloved 1990 sedan all of the above

Sup 2nd gen teg buddy? :smith: My 91 was a big pile of crap, with plenty of leaks, but it was fun to drive. Out of every car I've owned, I miss that one the most (despite it being an automatic).

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If it's a 2nd gen and it's water coming out from under the dash on the passenger side in the rain, it's a gasket under the cowl (I don't know if you can still get it from Honda, but it's a royal pain to fix properly). Anything else, see dissss's post. The tail light gaskets are a common issue on all Hondas, same with sunroof drains (common on any car with a sunroof, really).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dissss posted:

Go drive an Italian car with a single clutch automated manual.

Maybe they're okay when brand new but every one I've driven or ridden in has felt like utter trash even if you try and properly modulate the throttle. The worst one I've encountered was a rental Fiat Punto that has less than 20k km on the clock - if I had to go any further I'd have taken it back and got whatever crappy Japanese import Nissan the trash rental company could provide.

Automated manuals are trash no matter what car they're in, even in an Aston Martin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My high school best friend taught me to drive manual in his 88 Samurai. It was a hit scary since I put it up on 2 wheels a few times. Dad later refined the lessons in his CRX.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dissss posted:

The system on my Mazda (it's on every Mazda here) works fine, the clutch (it uses some sort of system that barely needs the starter, much quicker than in a VW or whatever)

If I'm not mistaken, it uses some system where a cylinder is stopped at or maybe just after TDC on the compression stroke, then when required, the injector (direct injection) sprays some fuel in to the cylinder and the plug fires.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

seriously though, buy the Si, I love mine

it gets better gas mileage than the '15 Fit I had before

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The thumbnail for this looks like a cut of some hosed up meat.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sandoz posted:

seriously though, buy the Si, I love mine

:same:

Does yours squeal a bit shifting into 1st? It’s apparently an issue and I’ve seen people talk about it online, but I drive around with a Honda tech from a dealership and he said its normal. :shrug:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

To the OP question asker, I bought my first car after having a friend show me for an hour or two. I lived in San Francisco at the time so trial by fire in a car you just bought is a fine way to go about it, would do again

My fav recollection was my friends advice: if anyone honks at you because you stalled as the light turns green, lean your head out the window and scream IM LEARNING

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

thechalkoutline posted:

My fav recollection was my friends advice: if anyone honks at you because you stalled as the light turns green, lean your head out the window and scream IM LEARNING

Unfortunately that would fall on deaf ears now. Who knows what a manual is anymore? Out of habit I give extra space for people on hills without thinking about it. poo poo I'm old.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I had a sign in the rear window of my Focus ST that said "new manual driver, please have patience" for my first few weeks. No one gave me any poo poo for stalls, I think it helped.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

thechalkoutline posted:

To the OP question asker, I bought my first car after having a friend show me for an hour or two. I lived in San Francisco at the time so trial by fire in a car you just bought is a fine way to go about it, would do again

EYYYY IM LEARRRNNNNIN HEEERE

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m 6’7” and barely fit into any cars to begin with, let alone the few remaining ones that have manuals, so I’ve never really had the opportunity to learn. I’m pretty sure I would despise having a manual as an only car so I guess it’s just not for me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man my brother-in-law dragged me out to his truck and taught me everything I needed to learn in a drive around the block. (Because I said in passing that I didn't think I could drive a manual)

A couple years after that I passed on the exact lesson to my little brother.

So yeah, you need practice but if you have a tach, you can learn to drive a manual in about 15 minutes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

thechalkoutline posted:

My fav recollection was my friends advice: if anyone honks at you because you stalled as the light turns green, lean your head out the window and scream:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dissss posted:

The system on my Mazda (it's on every Mazda here) works fine, if AC or heat is required it'll disable itself automatically and it fires up as soon as you touch the clutch (it uses some sort of system that barely needs the starter, much quicker than in a VW or whatever)

The i-stop on my Mazda doesn't work or works rarely. I think the battery may be weak

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

:same:

Does yours squeal a bit shifting into 1st? It’s apparently an issue and I’ve seen people talk about it online, but I drive around with a Honda tech from a dealership and he said its normal. :shrug:

no, that's weird

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Shifting into first from a stop or from a roll?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Shifting into first from a stop or from a roll?

Usually from a stop.

Here’s a YouTube video of someone with the same sounding problem I have, although mine is a 2014 coupe. This sounds exactly like the issue I’m having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqhxLsxzbs

Another, his voice is horrible, sorry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJoFhOFlq0

Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn3Ncrrze9o

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I had to take mandatory lessons on driving manuals, since manual licences were different to auto licences in my state. Not sure if it is still the case.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It still is in Norway and Finland, at least; at a guess the list includes most of western Europe.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You can choose in Sweden. But if you take your test in an automatic you aren't allowed to drive a manual.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

You can choose in Sweden. But if you take your test in an automatic you aren't allowed to drive a manual.

Same for the UK.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

You Am I posted:

I had to take mandatory lessons on driving manuals, since manual licences were different to auto licences in my state. Not sure if it is still the case.

QLD, different licenses, for example I got my opens on auto then had to put L plates back on and do the practical test to get it upgraded from an auto only license, the guy passed me without even really testing me properly because he liked my porsche 944.

Other states from memory, Red Ps they're different licenses but once you're on green Ps you get a free upgrade to both or it could be once you're off your Ps you get both. I don't understand those crazy southern laws

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

Used to be the same in WA. "c" class unrestricted had to do the test in a manual, 'a' class you could only drive autos. This was back in the day where you could show up to a driving test with little to no practice and walk out with a licence 20min later - poo poo was so easy and with little restrictions for that 1 year probationary period too. I think I had 5 lessons max and only had a 15min driving test.

They've done away man/auto conditions now, all the extra bullshit new drivers have to go through are bad enough anyway. All drivers now sit through 100 hrs driver training and with super restrictive 2yr probationary periods are 'c' class, whether they've ever driven a manual or not. E: not bitching about it, I think it's costly and hard to get a licence now anyway compared to when I got one. Then again the major part of a driving test was if you could drive a manual under pressure without stalling it, over revving, and finding gears etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 15, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
they let me drive when i lived in Perth because i had an "international license" which in reality is like some shittily photocopied paper that doesn't even have your picture on it

MrOnBicycle posted:

But if you take your test in an automatic you aren't allowed to drive a manual.

they must make a ton of money from this

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thief posted:

they let me drive when i lived in Perth because i had an "international license" which in reality is like some shittily photocopied paper that doesn't even have your picture on it

That's intended to be a translation of your license - you should have still needed to show your actual drivers license from whichever part of the world you come from.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is how it worked in Japan for me. Showed international license and Arizona license

Then the guy asked "You know Initial D"? I replied yes and he said "NO INITIAL D" then handed me keys to a GTR.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

That is how it worked in Japan for me. Showed international license and Arizona license

Then the guy asked "You know Initial D"? I replied yes and he said "NO INITIAL D" then handed me keys to a GTR.

This is my new favorite story.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thief posted:

they must make a ton of money from this

Apparently an article from 2 years ago states that the amount of issued licenses for automatic has doubled to 1 in 10. People are stating reasons like saving time and money not having to spend lessons on learning to drive manuals. I think they are just justifying it for themselves. Learning how to shift and learning the bite point is something you learn in the first couple of lessons. That's like $50.
By the time you are ready to not fail the test you'll be good enough.

So really have no idea why you'd alienate yourself from 40% of all used cars / hire cars / borrowing cars.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I was the only LHD person on my Fun2Drive tour. I got lectured on not putting a wheel in those mountain road ditches or scratching the paint on the brush on the left side of the road. Then they handed me the keys to the R34 GTR.

It was a very good day.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Apparently an article from 2 years ago states that the amount of issued licenses for automatic has doubled to 1 in 10. People are stating reasons like saving time and money not having to spend lessons on learning to drive manuals. I think they are just justifying it for themselves. Learning how to shift and learning the bite point is something you learn in the first couple of lessons. That's like $50.
By the time you are ready to not fail the test you'll be good enough.

So really have no idea why you'd alienate yourself from 40% of all used cars / hire cars / borrowing cars.

Well, look at the Fiesta SE EcoBoost. Despite being cheap, reasonably powerful, and having ridiculous MPG numbers, it was launched in th US with only a manual transmission. It failed so badly that they scrambled to get an automatic on there to actually sell those cars

Americans don't want manuals, unless they're the kind of person that only wants a manual

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Door Frame posted:

Well, look at the Fiesta SE EcoBoost. Despite being cheap, reasonably powerful, and having ridiculous MPG numbers, it was launched in th US with only a manual transmission. It failed so badly that they scrambled to get an automatic on there to actually sell those cars

Americans don't want manuals, unless they're the kind of person that only wants a manual

Y'all crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

While I love manuals, I can't imagine the 405 would be fun.