Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

1stGear posted:

My Dugu spawned with Craven, lost it when he went charging after an enemy commander, and died from the Flu right as I was getting ready to get my conquering on. :(

His son is a disappointment.

In mine's very first battle he took a spear to the jaw and was disfigured for life. After that though, he:

• Found a +2 axe artifact in the very first successful siege
  • Gained brave and a rank up to Brilliant Strategist in back to back battles
  • Had two hosts declare wars on him in the span of a decade, both of whom were thrashed and banished for 500 gold a pop, allowing for an incredibly early Empire title purchase
  • Joined the Rain Makers and won something like 10 consecutive duel missions, becoming an unstoppable masked duelist from hell

I'm currently expanding west with an eye towards Mali's gold mines, which I hope will be the economic engine to drive towards a unified Africa. :black101:

Also my son is a massive disappointment too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Can you mod the 3d unit models in this game?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Here's a fun little event: playing Sigurdur Ring, join a warrior lodge, I eventually have a prompt to invite my oldest son. That seems to be going well until suddenly he comes to me wanting to be a scholar which is bullshit because he has like 2 learning but 10 marshal so I forbid him to leave the lodge.

Instead he just runs away and steals a ton of gold!! You ungrateful poo poo!!

Well he wasn't my heir so gently caress him. I was gonna give you a jarldom, you turd.

E: It's Ragnar Lodbrok, he ran away and just got his Lodbrok title.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll properly catch up on the thread when I'm not playing, but there's a new event where your faithful dog can take an arrow for you in battle and you can either mourn him or go try to duel the guy that killed your dog.

10/10 would lose doggo again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I noticed that the Abbasids are the Arabian Empire in my game, don't have their unique flag, etc. I remember there being a way to change it, but am having trouble doing so and am not seeing the option in the game rules; is it somewhere else now, or am I just dumb?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Every single paradox DLC is a buggy mess initially. Is this one actually not?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Just churned through about 4 leaders in half an hour down in Africa. Glad my initial character popped out like 6 kids. Finally stabilized on a relatively ok leader.

Highlights included a no-contest in a border dispute followed by getting assassinated days after. At least the vassal who did it was discovered, so I could rip some titles away the moment my 6 year regency ended.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Also, I never play nomads and never play in north Asia. I have Jade Dragon. Is there any real benefit at all to getting it, since I have Jade Dragon and that also includes silk road mechanics?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pidan posted:

Not sure how I feel about locking army movements, I'll have to see how that affects game balance.

What does this mean?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So do we know how the different reformation possibilities interact yet? I heard they could synergize kinda, but I don't know how to tell

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 14, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does this mean?

Once an army is over halfway to its destination, you can't cancel that movement to make it stop or go elsewhere.

Personally I like it, at least in theory; playing around with the AI where it'd cancel its movement because your army two provinces away was trying to go to the same place, or swapping back and forth between intended destinations because apparently their commanders are psychic is silly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Diogines posted:

I've seen a couple characters that don't have faces but that's it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does this mean?

It's like what's in EU4; So if/when your army hits 50% (or 51% - whatever) progress when moving between counties, they're 'locked-in', so you can't change your mind and go somewhere else, when they're like, a day away from their destination.
(I've got mixed feelings about this, though...on one hand the enemy AI doing this all the time pissed me off, and I liked it in EU4, but on the other hand, I exploited it a fair bit, myself! haha :D)

e:f;b

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I thought I would hate movement locking in EU4 but it actually works well.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ShootaBoy posted:

I'll properly catch up on the thread when I'm not playing, but there's a new event where your faithful dog can take an arrow for you in battle and you can either mourn him or go try to duel the guy that killed your dog.

10/10 would lose doggo again.

Tell me you avenged him

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I bought Stellaris, my first Paradox game, on steam sale like 6 months ago and I've really loved it. Always thought the old timey human history games looked a little complicated, but now I'm thinking I might enjoy them. Is this current steam sale about as good a discount as it gets? Would I be well off just getting the Dynasty Starter Pack bundle?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Diogines posted:

probably, but ck2 is a lot more subtle about its bugs

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

luxury handset posted:

in steam, right click on ck2 -> properties -> betas -> opt into the 2.8.3.4 or whatever beta

Thank you

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Always thought the old timey human history games looked a little complicated

They are!

How are u posted:

but now I'm thinking I might enjoy them.

You will!

The Dynasty bundle isn't bad at all and would be a good way to dip your toes in since it unlocks a lot of otherwise unplayable cultures and religions as well as coming with Way of Life so you don't end up having to sit around waiting for claims to fire while doing nothing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm getting extremely good at swinging my wooden staff in a perfect half-circle

How are u posted:

I bought Stellaris, my first Paradox game, on steam sale like 6 months ago and I've really loved it. Always thought the old timey human history games looked a little complicated, but now I'm thinking I might enjoy them. Is this current steam sale about as good a discount as it gets? Would I be well off just getting the Dynasty Starter Pack bundle?

get the base game, conclave, and way of life at minimum. you can branch out from there during the christmas sale if you like. ck2 is more complicated than stellaris but not by a huge amount. about how much money are you willing to spend?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Are there additional requirements for heir designation? I just reformed the African faith and chose Meritocracy, which supposedly gives me heir designation, but instead it just defaulted to Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind and my only option is to change it to Elective-Gavelkind. Can tribals not use heir designation?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do know bloodthirsty gods synergizes with the Norse thing. Blots count as sacrifices as they should.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going with cosmopolitan, stability-astrology, autonomous in my africa game. I'm not super concerned about short reign penalties, but not having them at all sounds like a bigger bonus than bloodthirsty gods, which is probably something I'll do in a different game where I'm more of a dick.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sydin posted:

Are there additional requirements for heir designation? I just reformed the African faith and chose Meritocracy, which supposedly gives me heir designation, but instead it just defaulted to Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind and my only option is to change it to Elective-Gavelkind. Can tribals not use heir designation?

yeah tribals are probably still locked to gavelkinda/elective-gavelkind

fortunately now that you've reformed your religion you can go feudal

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Palemdromes posted:

Tell me you avenged him

I bailed on that game cause it was hosed anyway. Rurikid don't gently caress around when it comes to war.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man spouses just go full retard when they get land. I fought a war to press my husband's claim on a duchy and although I couldn't vassalize him afterwards I formed an alliance with him so nobody would mess with him until our kid inherits. So what does he do? He peacefully offers himself as a vassal to the same king I fought to get him that title.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah I thought I would hate movement locking in EU4 but it actually works well.

It's been working out pretty well for me when I'm fighting tribal neighbors and their allies; just swoop in with my big dick stack of dudes and pick off all their 100 man stacks because they can no longer back away.

Is giant a new trait? I just got a daughter with that. Also another daughter turned out to be a Blessed child or whatever, is 12 with insane stats and quick+attractive.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I haven't played for far too long apparently.

Was playing in Navarra, managed to split Iberia 3 ways between me, Leon, Castille..wanted to avoid warring fellow Christians so decided to play the inheritance game. Few years later I had Leon, Castille, and England(by complete accident) all set to be inherited by my heir. So of course he died right after, then all three existing kings/queens also managed to die in the same year...and France inherited everything but Navarra. At which point I dueled the King to the death, got his successor excommunicated, and France blew up and hello border gore.

The reconquista mechanic is pretty fun, it definitely makes Iberia feel like a thunderdome for awhile.

Incidentally the antagonizing thing meshes real well with dueling, since you can use it to make rivals fairly reliably. The coronation thing may be a little unbalanced, you can pretty reliably get people who were just made king excommunicated since not being crowned gives like a +15 modifier to it.

It definitely feels like they've done a huge pass on events and features, everything just seems to click together a little better.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I had an issue where despite my faith being strictly cognatic, I couldn't appoint a female Chaplain.

I could appoint women to any of the other positions, including Marshall, but not Chaplain for some reason.

Literally only like 4 guys were available to pick from at all.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Just decided to bail on my first Kanem game after a series of increasingly worthless rulers either dying instantly or getting kicked around. Partially my fault - should've developed my lands more when I had the prestige to do so. Chess With Death popped up at a complete bullshit time and really screwed me, though.

Gonna give it another go tomorrow, I think. Probably with Bigger Revolts turned off; I think that would be fun in a more established realm, but for a tribal society it just ended up feeling like "lol give up a county for a year or more."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hate how when both parents are landowners the game can't decide who gets custody over the kids. Despite it being a matrilineal marriage my husband just gets my heir by default and even though he will always accept my demands of guardianship the game will just teleport the kid back away after a couple days. It's a real treat seeing close up how bad the AI is at grooming heirs. In this case the husband gives the kid a stewardship education but decides to tutor him with a rank 2 military educated random courtier. :downs:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

luxury handset posted:

i'm getting extremely good at swinging my wooden staff in a perfect half-circle

get the base game, conclave, and way of life at minimum. you can branch out from there during the christmas sale if you like. ck2 is more complicated than stellaris but not by a huge amount. about how much money are you willing to spend?

Cool! I'll grab those three, fiddle around, and see if I want more come christmas.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Man, I love my warrior lodge drinking buddies, always giving me tips on where to loot and who to fight...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Welp my 58 year old African Emperor finally established his legendary bloodline, all he had to do was travel to the Abbasid Empire, duel an assassin, duel a drunk, duel some poor peasant a local kid fingered as a champion sword fighter despite his -5 personal combat skill, and duel a motherfucking bear.

cock hero flux posted:

So I've hit 100% Legend with the warrior lodge and uh, is something supposed to happen? It's been there for a while and the description implies something should happen.

FWIW the events fired immediately upon hitting 100% legend, your save might be bugged. I already ran into an interesting one where after quitting to make dinner, I reloaded the save to find my male, African pagan ruler with the "Baptized by a Bishop" and "Troubled Pregnancy" traits, and had to enable the console to remove them. :shrug:

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah tribals are probably still locked to gavelkinda/elective-gavelkind

fortunately now that you've reformed your religion you can go feudal

Ugh, that blows, I wanted to stay tribal longer. Time to blitz to Feudal I guess.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So yeah, I don't think the 0-100 personal combat skill really applies to characters. My last three characters have all ended up with combat skill in the 150s, with one topping out at 170something. My warrior lodge orders me to duel someone, and it turns out they've got like a 10. Okay guy, sure, I'll try not to kill you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I guess I forget how inheritance stuff works.

Why does my second son get two complete duchies while my first son gets the King title and only a single duchy? Is it because the King title is considered "Better"?

That is a recipe for a messy transition of power.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I really don't like the elder council mechanics, hey its a brand new game and then you're immediately with a permanent -20 opinion from a random courtier because some elder only has a +10 opinion with you. Of course the elders can give other elders a strong claim to your title and then all the elders hate you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Annath posted:

I had an issue where despite my faith being strictly cognatic, I couldn't appoint a female Chaplain.

I could appoint women to any of the other positions, including Marshall, but not Chaplain for some reason.

Literally only like 4 guys were available to pick from at all.

Chaplains must have a priest education, are you sure there are women with that education in your court at all? ("invite holy man to court" probably needs an adjustment)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess I forget how inheritance stuff works.

Why does my second son get two complete duchies while my first son gets the King title and only a single duchy? Is it because the King title is considered "Better"?

That is a recipe for a messy transition of power.

That's pretty much it.Your firstborn will get the kingdom and the capital duchy, your second son two duchies as compensation. I would give at least one of those duchies to an unrelated courtier/count, so prevent your younger son from becoming too powerful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone know how Eldership is supposed to work? Cause I don't understand why Mr 3 Votes here isn't the heir apparent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Elderships in general seem screwy. The "I hate you and will vote for the worst person I can find out of pure spite" level of voting seems to be anything below +25, and when you're tribal you really don't have the money to drop 15 gold apiece on the half-dozen cantankerous old shits that are going to be dropping dead within the decade anyway. And they keep waffling on whether an weak scholar or an infant would be the worst possible heir to spite-vote for en masse for so I get the 'new heir' pop-up three or four times a year.