Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That's how I run my games. Less edgelord more what the gently caress wackiness of an early Peter Jackson film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Dead meets The Mummy has always been my goal with this system. It helps that Rob seems to be on the same wavelength when it comes to the Evil Dead stuff.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
What do most of your players tend to pick for ancestries? I've run this game with four different groups and Ferren gets a surprisingly big pull a lot of times. People must just like being able to turn into a cat. Personally I would roll Bugman or Goblin, but not everyone wants to be the weirdo races.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

We have a changeling, a clockwork, a human, an orc, and a molekin.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Serf posted:

Evil Dead meets The Mummy has always been my goal with this system. It helps that Rob seems to be on the same wavelength when it comes to the Evil Dead stuff.

Here I am making notes now that you brought up The Mummy. Man so many good movies from my childhood/teenage years to pull from. And shockingly so many full of rather gross stuff! No wonder Rob has a filthy mind.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Arthil posted:

Here I am making notes now that you brought up The Mummy. Man so many good movies from my childhood/teenage years to pull from. And shockingly so many full of rather gross stuff! No wonder Rob has a filthy mind.

My favorite scene from The Mummy is when Brendan Fraser reads a spell from an ancient Egyptian tablet while fighting a human servant of the mummy but the servant resists and then spends the next several scenes spewing blood and "fluid" everywhere.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Another preview from the book, this one of a creature that can be summoned to protect the caster. Looks pretty beefy and has a built-in defender effect. This is what I'd like to see more of tbh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That ability should really be a Fighter talent instead of something you summon with magic. Or at least in addition to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That ability should really be a Fighter talent instead of something you summon with magic. Or at least in addition to.

I did homebrew up an equivalent Fighter talent that imposes banes on attacks against allies coming from the same zone the Fighter is in.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Where are the best sheets at nowadays?

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

There's a Path (Knight, maybe?) that can inflict banes on attacks against allies using Triggered Actions, I think that's the closest we've got in the martial space.

Serf
May 5, 2011

More new previews, this time a spell and a piece of art.

Also the Witch-King and Men of Gog stretch goals have been shuffled downwards because Rob has already done a lot of work on them and wants to bring back the Witch-King as a "new kind" of evil for Rul.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The campaign just hit $30k with 21 days remaining, though funding has been slow after the initial burst of enthusiasm

curious to see where it ends up (given how things tend to pick up towards the end of kickstarters) - I think we'll at least get Men of Gog ($40k stretch goal) which is great since it's one I'm greatly looking forward to, but at the moment a lot of the higher level goals are looking out of reach :(

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

LGD posted:

The campaign just hit $30k with 21 days remaining, though funding has been slow after the initial burst of enthusiasm

curious to see where it ends up (given how things tend to pick up towards the end of kickstarters) - I think we'll at least get Men of Gog ($40k stretch goal) which is great since it's one I'm greatly looking forward to, but at the moment a lot of the higher level goals are looking out of reach :(

Rob's doing a stream with PennyArcade tonight. I'm hoping that'll help some.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The Demon Lord's Companions have always been great, would love to have a third one.

I also find it really funny that their abbreviation is DLC :v: "I recommend getting the first and second DLC for SotDL"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the second one was really incredibly disappointing

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Molekin are cool though.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

He also admitted he was running out of material for DLC 2 in its introduction, so I'd bet he's going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for DLC 3.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
yea this Kickstarter smacks of a way to wring a final few gs on a project that is on its way to the dustbin. The big spell book does seem cool as hell... but I'd rather it be a regular rear end supplement with a regular rear end price tag than something I have to fake pre-order

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

For real. DLC2 badly needed another pass at both editing and playtesting. It's full of stuff that either breaks the game or requires the GM to play game designer to resolve the ambiguities (and sometimes both at once.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh. Good to know. Most of the stuff I've played has been either core or DLC1 / poisoned pages, none of my players have paid much attention to DLC2. I had no idea it was that underwhelming. I honestly thought it had been well received because I haven't seen people complain about it online.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked DLC2. The themes system alone was worth the price for me.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm running a one shot of this in the near future, any advice as far as GMing? I've run dnd a bunch, and we're probably just gonna stick to the core rulebook with some pregens, but I'd like to be aware of potential pitfalls.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Level 0 characters are absurdly squishy. I ran The Witching Wood and void larvae deal 2d6 damage or something in a world where a level 0 character will have like 4-10hp. I one-shotted a ~10hp human with a void larvae and a 4hp clockwork with a giant spider. If you take your max HP (aka Health) in a single hit, you're dead, not just downed. I actually had one of the NPCs going with the party just so he could act as a bit of a buffer (and he also served to let them make a lot of social rolls because I was playing him as a boisterous coward).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Level 0 characters are absurdly squishy. I ran The Witching Wood and void larvae deal 2d6 damage or something in a world where a level 0 character will have like 4-10hp. I one-shotted a ~10hp human with a void larvae and a 4hp clockwork with a giant spider. If you take your max HP (aka Health) in a single hit, you're dead, not just downed. I actually had one of the NPCs going with the party just so he could act as a bit of a buffer (and he also served to let them make a lot of social rolls because I was playing him as a boisterous coward).

Void Larva are also THE single most-damaging enemy at their difficulty level. It's part of a consistent pattern of demon-type enemies being overstatted for their difficulty, in much the same way that dragons were in D&D 3.5.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Void Larva are also THE single most-damaging enemy at their difficulty level. It's part of a consistent pattern of demon-type enemies being overstatted for their difficulty, in much the same way that dragons were in D&D 3.5.
Yes, but there's an encounter with like...five of them in a pit. I had to gently nudge the players to remind them that they could just run away because that encounter is basically unwinnable. And that doesn't negate the rest of my post, which is that level 0 characters are incredibly squishy. Other notable monsters I can remember from the encounter are burrowing centipedes (+5 at 1d6, 15 def, 8 health) and a large spider (+3 with a boon at 1d6, poison, 14 def, 20 health) that are difficult for level 0 characters that likely have gear on the levels of clubs and daggers.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 27, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't do level 0 unless you know for sure your players want the funnel experience.

Just start them at level 1 otherwise.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just make all enemies do half damage or swapped for weaker enemies. So many encounters in the pre written adventures are just complete bullshit that will TPK your party - I'm looking at you, Apple of her Eye.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The lack of XP for kills and the dangerous combat have made my players into total cowards who avoid any combat encounters they can get away with, and, honestly, I like it that way.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ZearothK posted:

The lack of XP for kills and the dangerous combat have made my players into total cowards who avoid any combat encounters they can get away with, and, honestly, I like it that way.

I hope none of your players played a warrior who had all of their class abilities rendered worthless!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Piell posted:

I hope none of your players played a warrior who had all of their class abilities rendered worthless!

Our warrior is the biggest coward of the party, it's his rear end in the frontline after all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ZearothK posted:

Our warrior is the biggest coward of the party, it's his rear end in the frontline after all.

Better part of valor! Better part of valor!!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm about to run a game and...is there any way to tone down the speed? Every speed value seems incredibly fas, or else they want a massive map to move around on. Ten spaces seems ridiculous for a normal move action.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I'm about to run a game and...is there any way to tone down the speed? Every speed value seems incredibly fas, or else they want a massive map to move around on. Ten spaces seems ridiculous for a normal move action.

5-6 seems more reasonable. But my real recommendation is to use zone-based combat instead.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jarvisi posted:

Yeah we used zone combat, ourselves. I tweaked it some. Here's the rules we used...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qwm-rNX9YEcFJzcU1CZG1hRWwwM05ET2NqMFRPVWgxNVhV/view?usp=drivesdk

It's imperfect - the game wasn't written with zones in mind - but it's better than the default.

If you want to use a grid, cut all those values in half, imo.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm running a game set during the war against the Witch King back in the default setting's history. The first session took place the night the Kalasan fleet first made landfall on Rul. The player characters are a Kalasan clockwork who washed up on shore ahead of the fleet and four Edene characters, three humans and a fawn, who've become an auxiliary squad of the Kalasan VI Legion. The Novice and early Expert levels centered on the Kalasan efforts to liberate a beachhead in what's later called Old Edene, on the coastal peninsula south of the Shield Mountains. They graduated from hunting down disturbances behind Kalasan lines to raising and defending a fortified post on the flank of the miles-long Kalasan battle line during the major clash between the invasion and the Witch King's eastern satraps. One of the Novice-level disturbances they dealt with was an incursion of Harvesters from the moon, through a reflecting pool in an old Seer temple. Due to their exemplary service the player character squad was offered the chance to become the first team sent out into the solar system through that reflecting pool, as per the space travel material in Pull of the Stars. Next session, level 5, they'll undertake their first mission, to the planet Depth, in the inaugural voyage of the Kalasan Space Force.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

I'm running a game set during the war against the Witch King back in the default setting's history. The first session took place the night the Kalasan fleet first made landfall on Rul. The player characters are a Kalasan clockwork who washed up on shore ahead of the fleet and four Edene characters, three humans and a fawn, who've become an auxiliary squad of the Kalasan VI Legion. The Novice and early Expert levels centered on the Kalasan efforts to liberate a beachhead in what's later called Old Edene, on the coastal peninsula south of the Shield Mountains. They graduated from hunting down disturbances behind Kalasan lines to raising and defending a fortified post on the flank of the miles-long Kalasan battle line during the major clash between the invasion and the Witch King's eastern satraps. One of the Novice-level disturbances they dealt with was an incursion of Harvesters from the moon, through a reflecting pool in an old Seer temple. Due to their exemplary service the player character squad was offered the chance to become the first team sent out into the solar system through that reflecting pool, as per the space travel material in Pull of the Stars. Next session, level 5, they'll undertake their first mission, to the planet Depth, in the inaugural voyage of the Kalasan Space Force.

Always take it to space. I feel like introducing elements of that sort is a really classic Warhammer / AD&D move.

SotDL is a system / setting that always evokes in my mind that kind of pulpy, 80s heavy metal sensibility which really gels with the introduction of mild sci-fi.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Does anyone know where the mount rules are if there are any?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Combat, pg 48 talks about using the mount. I think lists of actual mounts are either under Equipment, or in another supplement entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thanks, I missed it because it wasn't in the index.