Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Carlosologist posted:

AOC is basically the older sister to the 18-22 group of voters and it owns

Her being a Monae fan is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

A Typical Goon posted:

'Actually Nazis are non-existent' I say, as a MAGA Chud mails out bombs. 'Charlottesville could never happen again' as another right wing loon shoots up a bar

I think if you go back to the initial exchange, you'll find that the claim that nazis don't exist was made up out of whole cloth by mcmagic (who in fact put it in quotes so people like you would think he was quoting something I actually said)

They've tried to organize follow-up rallies to Charlottesville and failed, which is what I based my second claim on.

My claim is that, electorally, the Charlottesville crowd doesn't have a lot of power if the GOP is relying just on them. One person mailing out pipe bombs and another shooting up a synagogue are powerful events, but not in an electoral sense.

Petr fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 14, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LBJ was the guy obsessed with his dick, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

madlobster posted:

Obviously you're supposed to build a wall around the Trump minifig, then build a lid over the wall to keep him in, never to be seen again. A good toy.

No joke, I would buy the poo poo out of an ‘encase Trump forever metaphorically and also literally Cask of Amontillado-style’ playset.

atelier morgan posted:

ya'lls best friend LBJ massively escalated our involvement in the conflict in vietnam, directed the fbi and cia to undermine anti-war protests and wiretap martin luther king, and sent in the army to shoot rioters

yeah he got the VRA passed and other stuff, but Obama managed to the ACA and medicaid expansion especially while also promoting the fracking industry, protecting corporate sovereignty and escalating our involvement in military adventurism basically everywhere except for iraq (plus :nsa: etc, etc)

we kinda need to do better than previous immensely flawed and covered in oceans of blood examples

LBJ also committed tons of what would today be rightly considered sexual assault/egregious harassment.

Like climbing into bed with sleeping women who were staying at his ranch/possibly the White House? as guests and showing his dong to people (and not just his political adversaries).

PhazonLink posted:

I want to see the timeline where this is a russian metal gear.

jfc.

Metal Gear........what’s that?

couldn’t resist

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That post wasn’t about LBJs politics, it was about his methods, which were unquestionably effective at getting his pet legislation passed.

Literally having 2/3s majorities didn’t hurt either I bet.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Mustached Demon posted:

And his pants having enough space around the bunghole

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon posted:

You mean every man who has ever lived?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

He was just a crude and aggressive guy in general. A very effective political operator, but if he was alive today he'd be drowning in assault and harassment scandals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How are u posted:

You mean every man who has ever lived?

No like way more obsessed than normal. Like the OG dick pic guy but without the pic.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That post wasn’t about LBJs politics, it was about his methods, which were unquestionably effective at getting his pet legislation passed.

good luck finding somebody who can convincingly play the role of a complete rear end in a top hat without you know, actually just being one

the politics and the practice weren't exactly separate

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

AOC is basically the older sister to the 18-22 group of voters and it owns

i want to run for office just so we can hang out

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If only we could, in the place of the likes of Obama, Johnson, Roosevelt, and other deeply flawed 'icons,' venerate great leaders of the past who made great progressive strides but ALSO made made no regressive, destructive, racist or bloodsoaked decisions, such as:

Everyone's heroes suck. As long as we don't pretend they're a flawless neo-pantheon and learn from their bad actions (yes to civil rights, no to vietnam), we're allowed to continue to hold them up as examples in the areas that they did good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sanguinia posted:

If only we could, in the place of the likes of Obama, Johnson, Roosevelt, and other deeply flawed 'icons,' venerate great leaders of the past who made great progressive strides but ALSO made made no regressive, destructive, racist or bloodsoaked decisions, such as:

Everyone's heroes suck. As long as we don't pretend they're a flawless neo-pantheon and learn from their bad actions (yes to civil rights, no to vietnam), we're allowed to continue to hold them up as examples in the areas that they did good.

mlk was cool

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/EmpireStateBldg/status/1062474855793283072

:pisstape: ?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sanguinia posted:

I don't want flawless heroes, I want role models whose flaws don't exactly correlate to the worst elements of today's politics.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

atelier morgan posted:

good luck finding somebody who can convincingly play the role of a complete rear end in a top hat without you know, actually just being one

the politics and the practice weren't exactly separate

I think it’s possible to be the sort of rear end in a top hat who can wheedle, and cajole and threaten political retribution to get votes without being he sort of rear end in a top hat who endlessly bombs brown people in far away countries.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

atelier morgan posted:

we kinda need to do better than previous immensely flawed and covered in oceans of blood examples

honestly, as long as they cover themselves in oceans of chud blood, i'll be happy

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
We don't need LBJ and Huey Long. We need Harriet Tubman, Harvey Milk, Octavia Butler, John Brown, Boudicca, and Al-Khwarizmi. None of these people are flawless, but it's not hard to find people who would counter the idiocy of 2018 better than LBJ.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Skippy McPants posted:

One of those cheap folding dealies you can get at almost any big-box or grocery store.

In fact, it looks to be this exact model: which retails for $13.97.

Look at Aunt Pennybags over here with her whole $15,000 in savings and $13.97 cheese grater!

I still can't get over that Fox News story they ran on her not being able to afford an apartment in DC...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Petr posted:

I don't want flawless heroes, I want role models whose flaws don't exactly correlate to the worst elements of today's politics.

The past is a foreign country, my dude.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Petr posted:

We don't need LBJ and Huey Long. We need Harriet Tubman, Harvey Milk, Octavia Butler, John Brown, Boudicca, and Al-Khwarizmi. None of these people are flawless, but it's not hard to find people who would counter the idiocy of 2018 better than LBJ.

Boudicca lost about as hard as it was possible to lose.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sanguinia posted:

Boudicca lost about as hard as it was possible to lose.

So did John Brown. Good thing victory isn't predestined.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Look at Aunt Pennybags over here with her whole $15,000 in savings and $13.97 cheese grater!

I still can't get over that Fox News story they ran on her not being able to afford an apartment in DC...

You better get over it fast because this is just the beginning of their AOC coverage.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

enraged_camel posted:

You better get over it fast because this is just the beginning of their AOC coverage.
They're going to try to give her the Nancy Pelosi treatment and it's going to backfire more than a little bit.

(I don't like Nancy Pelosi, but the criticisms of her from the right are uniformly poo poo.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Astro7x posted:

It's more savings than I have at any rate. More than a lot of Americans have saved, actually.

Of course, a lot of Americans don't have to get an apartment in D.C. with their savings and no job but still, I think that message might resonate with people more than you credit

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

Please don't link the works of maga chud and climate change denier scott adams unless ironically, thanks.

That comic is both funny and apropos, and, by using it the way I did, I am diluting Sott’s control over his intellectual property, and depriving him of pay for his work. It’s a win-win.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I agree with this on the whole. But still, if, like Leslie Knope*, your "Wall of Inspiration" includes Condi Rice or Dianne Feinstein, you might just be casting your net a little too wide.

*disclaimer: I'm an unapologetic fan of "Parks and Rec," overused Ron Swanson memes be damned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

If you had a wang the size of LBJ's it'd be all you thought about too :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

It's more savings than I have at any rate. More than a lot of Americans have saved, actually.

Of course, a lot of Americans don't have to get an apartment in D.C. with their savings and no job but still, I think that message might resonate with people more than you credit

Yeah, don’t like 70%+ of Americans have zero savings outside of retirement accounts/401K/etc?

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

They're going to try to give her the Nancy Pelosi treatment and it's going to backfire more than a little bit.

Only if people like you and I ensure that it backfires.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I made a more detailed post in the News Thread but if you want to get to know the guy who's probably gonna take John Kelly's job when that rear end in a top hat gets fired, read this article. It's a profile of a sleazy DC swamp monster and also a rundown of how hosed our campaign finance system is. Dude owns a consulting firm that gets hired by campaigns, he funnels all of his media buying to the same firm (that he has a very cozy relationship with), raises money for campaigns and groups like the RNC and the NRGC with an incredible knowledge of how dark money works, and got super loving rich in the process. He's the worst type of person (aside from nazis, natch)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is that real?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

2008 probably wiped out a ton of people's liquid savings. Recession was real bad for regular folks.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Katt posted:

Is that real?

No;

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Katt posted:

Is that real?

it's a reference to this

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

e:fb :argh:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Petr posted:

Harvey Milk was an rear end in a top hat.

Source: my mom, who worked with him in the touring production of Hair

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

LBJ would have had 2 terms and a great legacy if he didn't decide to go dick first into Vietnam. But everyone in the White House was too racist to understand the Vietnamese loving hated the Chinese.

50 years later and the Vietnamese still loving hate the Chinese!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Only if people like you and I ensure that it backfires.
Nancy Pelosi's base of support is other politicians in Washington D.C., and GreyjoyBastard. That's it. For all the cries of "but she's such an effective whiiiiip" :qq: no one really cares when the right vilifies her except in the most abstract sense, to the extent that it's bad for the party's prospects or they're just pissed because it's the right doing it (or, sometimes, because it's leftists doing it). What I mean to say is that no one identifies with Nancy Pelosi (again, apparently, excepting GreyjoyBastard for some reason) so no one can really take it personally when Fox News or whatever drags her for the 78th time this week. Of course you get upset if it's a Democrat being unfairly maligned for the usual bullshit, but it doesn't feel like they're attacking you - they're attacking Nancy Pelosi.

Now bearing in mind that most of the Fox News viewership is demented geriatrics, they're not going to identify with AOC either, but as these attacks percolate into the broader public consciousness they're going to strike a nerve in a way that the attacks on Pelosi absolutely can not unless you're forums poster GreyjoyBastard, and there's going to be a backlash, and it's going to be a thing to behold.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I know I'm just asking if she referenced dril.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Katt posted:

I know I'm just asking if she referenced dril.

No, the very public figure who is old enough to be your grandmother did not reference the funny internet man or type the word gently caress on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wicked Them Beats posted:

No, the very public figure who is old enough to be your grandmother did not reference the funny internet man or type the word gently caress on twitter

She could have :shrug: