Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know I really am sad to see there aren't more FFX gameplay mods. As in, I don't think there are any besides the one I'm playing which I honestly wouldn't even recommend at this point. I thought it was good and reasonable up until the Keepers. Let's have bosses with 240-310K HP who absorb all elements and basically halve physical damage because their defense is so absurd. Great.

But my point is, FFX is a pretty beloved game and it has been on PC for several years now. The fact nobody has made any overhaul or rebalance mod is strange to me. (the one I'm playing is for the PS2 version which my layman brain at least thinks is harder than modding the PC game)

At this point I've personally played about 3 or 4 mods for each game in VI through IX. X is more popular than VIII or IX.

And this has nothing to do with what I was saying but I forgot what an absolutely beautiful song this is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfil17LlOoY

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

You know I really am sad to see there aren't more FFX gameplay mods. As in, I don't think there are any besides the one I'm playing which I honestly wouldn't even recommend at this point. I thought it was good and reasonable up until the Keepers. Let's have bosses with 240-310K HP who absorb all elements and basically halve physical damage because their defense is so absurd. Great.

this is what happens man. people don't try to understand balance so they just slap some poo poo together and call it a day. it's not some esoteric thing you "get" or "don't get," the way you either understand how to compose or you don't. balance is a many-layered, but solveable, mystery. just, it takes a long time to crack it. and for an enthusiast project, that's just not a long-term investment of their time most people are willing to make.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

But my point is, FFX is a pretty beloved game and it has been on PC for several years now.

It's barely been two years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's barely been two years.

Really? I guess I was getting it confused with the console HD remaster which has been several years. My bad then.

Well then maybe there's hope in another year or two.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
8's ridiculous story is why I love that dumb game.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

But my point is, FFX is a pretty beloved game and it has been on PC for several years now. The fact nobody has made any overhaul or rebalance mod is strange to me. (the one I'm playing is for the PS2 version which my layman brain at least thinks is harder than modding the PC game)

At this point I've personally played about 3 or 4 mods for each game in VI through IX. X is more popular than VIII or IX.

And this has nothing to do with what I was saying but I forgot what an absolutely beautiful song this is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfil17LlOoY

Your posts about this have been interesting, I did some googling and it looks like somebody has made a mod called Sin Unleashed for the remaster. I can't find a lot of info about it except that it has a hard mode and a nightmare mode, and the creator intentionally hasn't revealed the changes that they made because they feel like it's more exciting for players that way. The mod ALSO seems to include a weird Seymour mode where he joins your party permanently and replaces Kimahri...

I'm pretty interested so I might check it out, probably on the hard mode and not the nightmare one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Your posts about this have been interesting, I did some googling and it looks like somebody has made a mod called Sin Unleashed for the remaster. I can't find a lot of info about it except that it has a hard mode and a nightmare mode, and the creator intentionally hasn't revealed the changes that they made because they feel like it's more exciting for players that way. The mod ALSO seems to include a weird Seymour mode where he joins your party permanently and replaces Kimahri...

I'm pretty interested so I might check it out, probably on the hard mode and not the nightmare one.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention! This is precisely the kind of mod I am looking for. It doesn't just tinker with numbers, it seems to seriously alter the gameplay and make things different.

Does anybody know if maybe FFX/X-2 HD will be on sale for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

I'm ready to abandon the current mod and just start this one.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Ha, I started that mod on nightmare mode and got absolutely wrecked by the boss you fight underwater with Rikku. He swam away so he's out of reach and then he hit Tidus and Rikku in one move for like 450 each. Rikku's max HP is only 360 and Tidus was already one hit down so he was dead too :v:

Put it on to the lower hard difficulty and it was still a bit dicey but manageable. That level of challenge is about what I want, so far so good.

From reading the comments it seems like the Seymour thing is pretty buggy. I wasn't really interested in it anyway but supposedly it needs patching to work right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Ha, I started that mod on nightmare mode and got absolutely wrecked by the boss you fight underwater with Rikku. He swam away so he's out of reach and then he hit Tidus and Rikku in one move for like 450 each. Rikku's max HP is only 360 and Tidus was already one hit down so he was dead too :v:

Put it on to the lower hard difficulty and it was still a bit dicey but manageable. That level of challenge is about what I want, so far so good.

From reading the comments it seems like the Seymour thing is pretty buggy. I wasn't really interested in it anyway but supposedly it needs patching to work right

I was actually inspired by Nikkolas to find and begin this mod for the PC version last week. I'm on Nightmare Mode and I killed that underwater boss in one turn by using Rikku's Mix with two grenades, which hit it like 5 or 6 times for ~750 damage. I felt like I'd cheated

I didn't bother with the Seymour thing because that seems stupid

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I was actually inspired by Nikkolas to find and begin this mod for the PC version last week. I'm on Nightmare Mode and I killed that underwater boss in one turn by using Rikku's Mix with two grenades, which hit it like 5 or 6 times for ~750 damage. I felt like I'd cheated

I didn't bother with the Seymour thing because that seems stupid

Mix continues to be the best thing I see. Not complaining about that.

I wonder if he helps salvage Lulu. My "favorite" thing is how on Gagazet Wantz sells you the Booster Cactuar which is just loaded with Mag+% and even Magic Booster. It's like the game saying "okay sure, we hosed her up, here's a weapon to help mitigate the damage."

And Yuna still hits harder than Lulu did....

I was pretty good about using my whole party in the current mod until about Bevelle when I just gave up on anybody but my all stars Tidus, Auron and Rikku. I'd like to see how that might change in this other mod. I'm actually curious about using Seymour. I have no attachment to Kimahri.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the one thing I'll say is to not even attempt to fight the "random" encounter in Besaid as they tutorialize characters having specific niches where it's a formation of a flying thing, dog thing, and flan. you are straight out not going to be able to outheal or outdamage those things, run away from them

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

sounds like really good game design

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

the one thing I'll say is to not even attempt to fight the "random" encounter in Besaid as they tutorialize characters having specific niches where it's a formation of a flying thing, dog thing, and flan. you are straight out not going to be able to outheal or outdamage those things, run away from them

"We haven't even left the island..."

Ya know, since Auron always planned to bring Tidus to Spira, why didn't he actually give him any sort of, I dunno, combat training?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody know if maybe FFX/X-2 HD will be on sale for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

Most publishers do a big sale with deep discounts on older titles so I'd be real surprised if you can't pick it up cheap on most platforms

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

Most publishers do a big sale with deep discounts on older titles so I'd be real surprised if you can't pick it up cheap on most platforms

Well I specifically want the Steam version for the mod we were just discussing. I already own the game for PS4.

$30 for two games isn't bad or anything but if I can get it for $15 next week, I'll wait.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Alxprit posted:

sounds like really good game design

I haven't had a problem since, it's otherwise been the right kind of challenging

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

"We haven't even left the island..."

Ya know, since Auron always planned to bring Tidus to Spira, why didn't he actually give him any sort of, I dunno, combat training?

Technically I'm not sure if Auron WAS planning to. He was just fulfilling Jecht's last request and looking over his son. Jecht decided it was time for Tidus to leave and try to kill him and Auron was like. "Now? Really? You want this useless sack to go to the outside world? Fine. *hands Tidus a sword and tells him how to swing it* Good luck. I'll meet you if you survive the ocean."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't had a problem since, it's otherwise been the right kind of challenging

Did you complete the mod? Optional content and all?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you complete the mod? Optional content and all?

I started it like three days ago, my guy, and I ain't doing that Seymour poo poo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

even as a kid, his hairstyle was too aggressively awful for me, and I interpreted his billowy red shirt as him having a big belly on my grainyass TV in 2002 or whenever I played it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are so many things wrong with Seymour's appearance

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I can understand the choice to not give Tidus any kind of sharp object until it was absolutely necessary. Remember: Tidus, a professional athlete capable of amazing feats of physical prowess, immediately trips and falls on his rear end within 5 seconds of being handed a sword. There's no physical justification for this, the guy is in incredible shape, the only answer is that he is literally too stupid to hold the thing. If he'd fallen forward onto it instead of backwards FFX would have been like twenty minutes long.

I mean, you see the way the guy dresses when he's allowed to pick out his own clothing. Would you give him a sword?

even as a kid, his hairstyle was too aggressively awful for me, and I interpreted his billowy red shirt as him having a big belly on my grainyass TV in 2002 or whenever I played it

Same. Intellectually I know it's just his robe hanging weird but I always visualize Seymour as having a big beer gut. His general veinyness doesn't help either.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 14, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tidus was more like jecht than he thought. let's be honest here jecht should've had a huge beer gut

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Seymour is one of those character designs that just completely lacks any subtlety and all but screams "OBVIOUS BAD GUY".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9DW4rrEjY

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Seymour is one of those character designs that just completely lacks any subtlety and all but screams "OBVIOUS BAD GUY".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN9DW4rrEjY

I mean, this is his "normal" apparently non-evil theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jlbdkF4lM

I hope Seymour being evil wasn't supposed to be a twist.

I always liked Seymour myself. True, his design is beyond atrocious but I like his voice and overall role in the story.

"Welp, if you're offering your lives, I will have to take them."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, I liked Seymour but they really could have made him less obviously evil. The could even have kept his design, but that and the music combined is just hilarious.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, this is his "normal" apparently non-evil theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2jlbdkF4lM

I hope Seymour being evil wasn't supposed to be a twist.

I always liked Seymour myself. True, his design is beyond atrocious but I like his voice and overall role in the story.

"Welp, if you're offering your lives, I will have to take them."

Seymour's introduction creates a link between Tidus and the player because as outsiders to the culture we both rightfully see him as a creep.

That said, I feel there's something missing from FFX's antagonists due to Seymour running 100% pathetic/creepy (the fedora kind, not the skeleton kind) all the time. The lack of a dynamic antagonist fits with the game's theme of breaking a spiral of death and despair but the protagonists just aren't able to carry the game on their own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah. i don't know about LFT. this cuar just cast charm on me and i died

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Microcline posted:

Seymour's introduction creates a link between Tidus and the player because as outsiders to the culture we both rightfully see him as a creep.

That said, I feel there's something missing from FFX's antagonists due to Seymour running 100% pathetic/creepy (the fedora kind, not the skeleton kind) all the time. The lack of a dynamic antagonist fits with the game's theme of breaking a spiral of death and despair but the protagonists just aren't able to carry the game on their own.

A lot of people question why Seymour exists in the game, what role he serves in the story. Usually they start asking this the third time you fight him.

One explanation I've read is he is the "human" villain of the game because the game's actual main antagonist is Sin, a giant doomwhale. Doomhales can't give the required evil monologues.

Having just replayed through much of FFX, I feel like the game doesn't really have a main villain per se. Sin is the antagonist and so is Yu Yevon or Jecht but they can't really be called villains. Everything come from Sin - most notably the Spiral of Death and even the Yevon religion, which is the closest thing to a group of villains in the game between Mika, Seymour and Yunalesca.

Overall, given thE Spiral stuff, as well as Yuna's defiant speech to Yunalesca, and the fact Sin is a force more than a villain, I almost want to say FFX is more about fighting something abstract. Like how Joss Whedon said the Big Bad of the (utterly awful) sixth Season of Buffy was "Life." The Big Bad of FFX is... I dunno, Death? Sorrow? That is what Yuna said she'd conquer, after all.

And FFX is still in a better position than FFXIII. FFXIIi boasts one villain worth remembering and even that is only because of his theme music and the gag with Snow trying to hit him. Both games of course pale in comparison to FFVII or IX or XII which had great casts of villains.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 14, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what the gently caress how can the algus fight be THIS UNBELIEVABLY HARD

like there is no reason for a goddamn cuar to have Charm

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If FFX has a singular antagonist, it's the entire religion of Yevonism, and Seymour is the most human face of it; an individual cog in the machine, who knows what he wants and how to exploit the system to get it. I wouldn't say he's corrupt, because the whole system is rotten and deceitful to the core, right back to its inception; he's not even the only guy we see who's using it for their own ends. He's just the one doing that that's targeting our party.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the true villain of ffx is the exploding blitzball that kills tidus in ffx-2.5

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The antagonist in FFX is nostalgia. Literally.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Seymour, Sin (Jecht), and Yu Yevon are definitely villains in the traditional Final Fantasy sense and are more human in intent then a lot of them (e.g. Jenova). The difference is that they (along with the minor villains of Yunalesca and the Grand Maesters) are all dead inside and just sleepwalking towards what they've already accepted.

As I said it fits the theme but it requires the protagonists to be engaging and Tidus et al. just don't have what it takes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m pretty sure Tidus in his narration says he knew Seymour wasn’t a good guy, so I don’t think it was meant to be a twist in any way.

Also in a lot of games Mika would be a boss fight, but he just bounces the second he thinks things are done for good.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Seymour is an avatar of the evils of the church and is mainly there for Yuna to grapple with. everyone else already knows he sucks, but Yuna's whole character arc is about learning to self-actualize rather than just go with what society demands of her

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The actual villain of X is whoever decided to pallet swap the same four enemies across the entire game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A reminder that FF9 had no palette swaps besides the crystal versions of the four fiends.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The actual villain of X is whoever decided to pallet swap the same four enemies across the entire game.

Hey some got a texture swap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Seymour also kinda factors into Wakka’s plot, but his gets out of focus really fast compared to everyone else’s.