Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Whalley posted:

I think that's already a mod. Can't remember the name right now

Are you talking like something more elaborate than Mekanism's 5x thing? That's still a pretty universal setup for processing; most stuff just go through the same flow from end to end no matter what with that.

For a reference, this is more than I knew about yet not in the level of sperginess I was talking about :
https://ftb.gamepedia.com/List_of_Ore_multiplying_methods

If there's something else, I would fear it's so little-used due to being out-of-date and/or a crashfest. (or Gregtech).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eox posted:

Is it possible to prevent players from processing ores/alloys until they unlock it, but still allow them to use parts they find in chests?

edit: for example, locking Electrum behind beating the Lightning Guardian (with heavy tweaks to AM2 for less of a nightmarish grind) but still tossing a few Electrum parts in Battle Towers and such

Sevtech used the recipe gating method too - as you step into new "Ages" it unlocks a bunch of new recipes. It lags quite a bit when that happens, so you have to key it off something that would be happening in the base, like crafting.

I'd imagine it's possible to remove the TiCon-smelter alloying, and require the player to craft alloys via combining powders - and then simply disable the 'electrum blend' recipe until you want them to have electrum. You could have a mid-tier unlock of Thermal Expansion induction smelter to give them all the two-metal recipes, then have a final-tier unlock of Ender IO alloy smelter to unlock all the three-metal recipes.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Devor posted:

For FTB Sky Adventures skyblock, what's a good next step for energy generation if I have a few million EMC to work with? I'm running magmatic dynamos off of crucible lava right now, but I think it doesn't scale up to multiple-EnvironmentalTechs-worth of power particularly well.

Or should I just massively parallelize the magmatic dynamos and beef up the conduits to them instead?

The EnvirinmentalTech solar panels are actually pretty drat good. My T4 with the T4 solar cells is well outstripping my extreme reactor and turbine for production, something like 100 krf/tick where my lone maxed out turbine is at ~26krf/tick.

For power storage/transferring, flux networks are amazing, and you can actually hook them up to the ic2 power storages to run your ic2 machines. Not sure if you have to limit the input power on those, I haven't taken any chances and do anyway as I'd rather not have my mfsu explode or something.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you talking like something more elaborate than Mekanism's 5x thing? That's still a pretty universal setup for processing; most stuff just go through the same flow from end to end no matter what with that.

For a reference, this is more than I knew about yet not in the level of sperginess I was talking about :
https://ftb.gamepedia.com/List_of_Ore_multiplying_methods

If there's something else, I would fear it's so little-used due to being out-of-date and/or a crashfest. (or Gregtech).
I was thinking of Rockhounding - https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/rockhounding-mod-chemistry

It's pretty drat involved, although it's still something of a universal process once you've got the ore. It's not what you described.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Whalley posted:

I was thinking of Rockhounding - https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/rockhounding-mod-chemistry

It's pretty drat involved, although it's still something of a universal process once you've got the ore. It's not what you described.

I think Nuclearcraft scratched a lot of that itch too, but all the different elements and element numbers are so obtuse that it was just an exercise in JEI

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Whalley posted:

I think that's already a mod. Can't remember the name right now

it's gregtech, op

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Whalley posted:

The images of all the crap hooked up at least is in the spirit of what I was thinking. I suppose I should change my interest from "ore processing" to "ore reprocessing." It would mean taking the slag and such from previous steps and take another shot at them through the same or different infrastructure.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Devor posted:

I don't recall which pack it was, but I played a recent one that had like 12 tiers of mining level so you had to do like 10 mining trips, come back, melt some ingots, make a new pickaxe head, go back out, mine the newly unlocked ores, make a new pickaxe head, etc.

It was kind of fun, and I think a big part of why that's cool is sort of like the Metroid-like progression where you see a thing that you can't get now, but later on you can come back to it - oh yeah I remember where I saw Osmium, I can go get it now!

It was very same-y though since it was all tinkers stuff - was fun enough while using warps, probably would have been more annoying if I was hoofing it back and forth. It might have worked better if it was mining tiers of machines, like Iron -> Steel -> Mekanism Refined Metal -> Diamond -> ??? so that you break up the mining gameplay with setting up some infrastructure. It might be hard to avoid people shortcutting and using too-advanced ores and sequence breaking by using alternate methods of breaking blocks.

Was this Enigmatica 2 Expert? I remember doing this - the first half of the progression tree is pretty straightforward, until you get into some of the more advanced materials like osmiridium.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Eox posted:

I'm a big dumb baby that wants to fight across the world and return to a modest home base with sacks of loot from dungeons and such, I was thinking something less heavy on infrastructure and a little more like Hexxit with a few more dimensions and some deep loving around with TiC/Extra TiC configs to gate it a little bit.

Is it possible to prevent players from processing ores/alloys until they unlock it, but still allow them to use parts they find in chests?

edit: for example, locking Electrum behind beating the Lightning Guardian (with heavy tweaks to AM2 for less of a nightmarish grind) but still tossing a few Electrum parts in Battle Towers and such

You may be interested in Game Stages

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there any way to charge an RF-powered device through just Botania?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there any way to charge an RF-powered device through just Botania?

Botania has no charging device for items, so no. You'll have to at minimum slap some other mod's charger on the side of the fluxfield.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah well. I made a "Garden of Glass plus QoL mods" pack, but the only thing I have that needs RF is Building Gadgets so it's not a huge deal.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah well. I made a "Garden of Glass plus QoL mods" pack, but the only thing I have that needs RF is Building Gadgets so it's not a huge deal.

Can those items have their RF need removed via config? Probably not overpowered

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Can you turn off its requirement for an RF charge in the options?

Also, there are standalone things like https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/wirelesscharger to allow for charging, potentially.

e: and https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/chargers

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Willheim Wordsworth posted:

You may be interested in Game Stages

Ooh, this has me looking into making a pack. There's even a Tinker specific addon to it, here's hoping I can manage to cobble something together despite having no experience beyond switching true/false in configs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I can have the builders work on item damage rather than energy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there modpacks that specifically center around one major mod (e.g. Thaumcraft, Botania) with some supplementary stuff? I know of Garden of Glass, but everything else seems to be very kitchen sink.

Also, any suggestions for structures out in the world? Only one I've really found was this.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Are there modpacks that specifically center around one major mod (e.g. Thaumcraft, Botania) with some supplementary stuff? I know of Garden of Glass, but everything else seems to be very kitchen sink.

Also, any suggestions for structures out in the world? Only one I've really found was this.

Recurrent Complex is another mod that adds little structures out in the world. Roguelike Dungeons adds, well, mob and loot filled dungeons, if you are looking at the combat aspect of things.

Most of the mod packs made by the person who did MSB3 are centered around a single mod, but they're all skyblock packs.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
A friend of mine is in the hospital and feeling real restless, pondered about getting into modded Minecraft. She hasn't played in a few years so it would be neat to see the various new things without dumping a pile of bullshit on her lap. Any packs that showcase cool newish mods without going into the weeds of progression? Without being the lagfest that are kitchen sink packs?

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Guys, I’ve made 5 alvearies :shepface:
Can’t wait to delve into Nuclearcraft for the first time. Yogscast was making it look interesting in their ATM LP. Powergen’s probably gonna knock the pants off my measly steam turbine being fed by 6 solar towers in E2:ES. Might even be able to run the IE Excavator full-time...

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eox posted:

yes, whatever mod sevtech ages to lock things off could probably do this, just disable every method of processing an ore (or even the ore itself) until they unlock it but not the end products of the ore

it can also do things where you can unlock more ways of crafting the same thing which make it cheaper/easier over time

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 13, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Whalley posted:

Ultimate Alchemy is worth playing. It's not as good as Blightfall, but it's a skyblock with purpose where almost every single recipe has been modified to guide you through a unique progression that matches the story being told.

I must be missing something obvious but it feels like 99% of this pack is just laboriously checking every page and tab of JEI to work backwards from every ingredient you need until you finally find the one recipe you're meant to use to progress. Early on it's relatively obvious, checking recipes for copper will find that it can be smelted from compressed sand. But almost anything more complex than that seems like the entire challenge is navigating JEI.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blind Duke posted:

A friend of mine is in the hospital and feeling real restless, pondered about getting into modded Minecraft. She hasn't played in a few years so it would be neat to see the various new things without dumping a pile of bullshit on her lap. Any packs that showcase cool newish mods without going into the weeds of progression? Without being the lagfest that are kitchen sink packs?

Dire wolf's pack, maybe? It's not really new, but it has a bunch of mods and he did a play-along series to show how all the mods work.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I must be missing something obvious but it feels like 99% of this pack is just laboriously checking every page and tab of JEI to work backwards from every ingredient you need until you finally find the one recipe you're meant to use to progress. Early on it's relatively obvious, checking recipes for copper will find that it can be smelted from compressed sand. But almost anything more complex than that seems like the entire challenge is navigating JEI.

Yeah, I would appreciate even a barebones quest book or sevtech-style achievements UI with "okay now make this next," even if it didn't tell you how to do it. Right now I'm spending most of my time just trying to figure out what I can do next.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dire wolf's pack, maybe? It's not really new, but it has a bunch of mods and he did a play-along series to show how all the mods work.

I'm plugging the Monkly mod in Direwolf's last couple updates again - it uses the achievement tab to guide you through a series of quests to unlock new abilities. Start by punching a block of wood from a tree with an open hand (NOT a quest book) and your first quest will unlock. Quest progress gets tracked by a little doodad in the lower right.

You end up moving really fast, have step-up, and eventually can unlock creative flight once you reach The End, while having some other cool abilities like giving your fists/non-tool filled hands the ability to mine as fast as stone / iron tools, and ignore arrows fired at your front.

Sometimes the abilities get a little buggy on unlock (like stone mining speed) and you have to quit/re-enter your world to get it to work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m thinking Thaumcraft might be a better fit for a “magical artificer” than Embers. Apparently it’s more of a magical secrets type mod? Also baubles and that cool gauntlet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m thinking Thaumcraft might be a better fit for a “magical artificer” than Embers. Apparently it’s more of a magical secrets type mod? Also baubles and that cool gauntlet.

Both mods are a little obscure on how to make a fancy automated setup

Embers is a little simpler once you figure it out, but that also means there's less fun stuff to automate

Thaumcraft has (or had?) integration with other fun mods like Applied Energistics you may or may not be using

Thaumcraft has more gameplay to it - scanning objects, different crafting things with cauldron, imbuing, etc, and definitely has more 'rewards' in the form of cool baubles and tools.

If you're making a mod pack around just one magic mod, it should be Thaumcraft and not Embers

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Blind Duke posted:

How long has it been? Baby's First Space Race is still the gold standard for a Starting Minecraft Modpack, IMO. It is two years old, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Devor posted:

Both mods are a little obscure on how to make a fancy automated setup

Embers is a little simpler once you figure it out, but that also means there's less fun stuff to automate

Thaumcraft has (or had?) integration with other fun mods like Applied Energistics you may or may not be using

Thaumcraft has more gameplay to it - scanning objects, different crafting things with cauldron, imbuing, etc, and definitely has more 'rewards' in the form of cool baubles and tools.

If you're making a mod pack around just one magic mod, it should be Thaumcraft and not Embers

Revolving around a single magic mod makes sense, but I don't want it to be just that mod - it's partly about literally being an Artificer, and partly about a collection of one large and many small mods that work well together. Case in point: the mod pack also has /dank/null, Mining Dimension, Simple Storage Network, and Tinkers Construct. I also want to add in mods that add different dimensions and maps and stuff, too - the kinds of things you'd expect to see in your adventuring as an Artificer. There's a degree of wiring and pruning I'd have to do between all the mods, too...which is not an insignificant amount of work.

But yeah, Embers and Thaumcraft would compete too much. I'll probably save Embers for like, The Dwarf or something instead.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Thaumcraft (the current one, TC6) is absolutely magictech artificer. Even moreso than previously, with the golem crafting bench and the kinda more scientific-ish way things are written/done, though it doesn't have the Thaumcraft 4 mod integration yet. But that's absolutely started!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

jack_squat posted:

Guys, I’ve made 5 alvearies :shepface:
Can’t wait to delve into Nuclearcraft for the first time. Yogscast was making it look interesting in their ATM LP. Powergen’s probably gonna knock the pants off my measly steam turbine being fed by 6 solar towers in E2:ES. Might even be able to run the IE Excavator full-time...

I felt NC's fission reactors were fairly underwhelming - they offered more power gen than an immersive steam turbine, but burned through fuel too quickly for my liking. It wasn't until I got up to the fusion reactor that I saw real value. I was running a size 2 hydrogen-hydrogen reaction, 100% cooled, and was hitting ~350k RF/t iirc. The best part was that it ran entirely off one kitchen sink and two electrolyzers with three speed upgrades each.

I also ended up building a second reactor with a deuterium-tritium reaction but never checked its power output, since I already had more than enough, and only built it for the neutron fluid.

You'll definitely want to make sure you've got a decent amount of RF storage (I used a mekanism induction matrix but resonant energy cells with Holding IV can store 750m RF), and I'd recommend using cryo-stabilized fluxduct to bring the reactor online - takes a matter of seconds to warm up instead of minutes.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

How long has it been? Baby's First Space Race is still the gold standard for a Starting Minecraft Modpack, IMO. It is two years old, though.

Last time we played was with All The Mods in 1.10 of Minecraft. Although a number of the entries on it caused frustrations like Abyssalcraft. She seemed excited that Pneumaticraft was ported to 1.12 and is into bees. Nuclearcraft also seems to have her attention. I would want to make interfacing with those mods as painless as possible without going full ham with EMC. Another friend is joining that finds the combat aspect unengaging so I'll likely prune any mods heavily focused on that.

So far looking at modifying a base on All The Mods that's in 1.12 now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Not sure if it will be exactly what you're looking for, but I'll be releasing a new Progress in a few days. It won't necessarily be the newest mods, but it's centered around botania, and astral sorcery on the magic side, and IE/thermal suite/AE on the tech side. It's made to be a relatively light modpack, and it'll have quests that help guide a player through the start of the central mods.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Blind Duke posted:

Last time we played was with All The Mods in 1.10 of Minecraft. Although a number of the entries on it caused frustrations like Abyssalcraft. She seemed excited that Pneumaticraft was ported to 1.12 and is into bees. Nuclearcraft also seems to have her attention. I would want to make interfacing with those mods as painless as possible without going full ham with EMC. Another friend is joining that finds the combat aspect unengaging so I'll likely prune any mods heavily focused on that.

So far looking at modifying a base on All The Mods that's in 1.12 now.

Taffer beat me to plugging his baby, so I'm going to plug DPT6 at you. It's somewhat of a kitchen sink (we're at 140 mods and possibly adding more, I went into making it with the intention of keeping it under 100. A fair number of the mods are smallish QoL ones though...)

Anyway, DPT6 is a lot more freeform than 5 was and has some neat mod integrations based on scripting I stole from the previous Progress pack. We have a quest book that provides a little structure in a big world with cool landforms. Big tentpole feature mods: Immersive Engineering, Thermal Expansion, The Betweenlands, and Thaumcraft 6. Astral Sorcery shows up too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Original idea plz don't steal

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

MaliciousOnion posted:

I felt NC's fission reactors were fairly underwhelming - they offered more power gen than an immersive steam turbine, but burned through fuel too quickly for my liking. It wasn't until I got up to the fusion reactor that I saw real value. I was running a size 2 hydrogen-hydrogen reaction, 100% cooled, and was hitting ~350k RF/t iirc. The best part was that it ran entirely off one kitchen sink and two electrolyzers with three speed upgrades each.

I also ended up building a second reactor with a deuterium-tritium reaction but never checked its power output, since I already had more than enough, and only built it for the neutron fluid.

You'll definitely want to make sure you've got a decent amount of RF storage (I used a mekanism induction matrix but resonant energy cells with Holding IV can store 750m RF), and I'd recommend using cryo-stabilized fluxduct to bring the reactor online - takes a matter of seconds to warm up instead of minutes.

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of doing all my power wiring with integrated dynamics cables since the power transfer limit is supposed to be ungodly high, but cryo-stabilized fluxduct definitely has more of a beefy, dangerous look to it.
Now I just have to get a netherrack gen set up. Turns out the only way to get all the Nuclearcraft metals in this modpack is Ex Nihilo sifting or the deep dark, and I’m nowhere near having the ingredients for a deep dark portal!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

Taffer beat me to plugging his baby, so I'm going to plug DPT6 at you. It's somewhat of a kitchen sink (we're at 140 mods and possibly adding more, I went into making it with the intention of keeping it under 100. A fair number of the mods are smallish QoL ones though...)

Anyway, DPT6 is a lot more freeform than 5 was and has some neat mod integrations based on scripting I stole from the previous Progress pack. We have a quest book that provides a little structure in a big world with cool landforms. Big tentpole feature mods: Immersive Engineering, Thermal Expansion, The Betweenlands, and Thaumcraft 6. Astral Sorcery shows up too.

I posed the server as an option, but she is pretty skiddish about online communities for entirely justified reasons. Didn't think about trying the pack free-standing, I'll try to propose this base.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

dragonshardz posted:

What's the full name of this pack?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Disasterpiece Theater

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860262

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
New base coming along nicely.

First vertical stack is water to Oxygen > Rotary Condensentrator, water to Hydrogen > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
Second is Lithium Dust > Lithium Gas > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
Third is Heavy Water > Deuterium > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage
(I find spreading the production out helps with lag)

Starting from the far bottom is my Heavy Water production, then it's Liquid Lithium > Rotary Condensentrator > Gaseous Lithium > Solar Neutron Activator > Rotary Condensentrator > RS Storage

It makes 500 buckets of Liquid Tritium per second. Almost ready to use my Mekanism fusion reactor as my current power demands are experiencing brownouts.