Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Also in dota there's no surrender option. So the game you lost at 15 minutes, you're playing for another 20. Or 60, if the other team wants to be jerks. That's probably 90% of the reason I haven't at least gone back to try it (played 500+ hours before i got into league). that's perfect for some people but i'm old and just want to have fun while i try hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, none of us give a single thought to it these days, but can you imagine playing a MOBA without role selection in 2018? Like, Jesus, dude.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vermain posted:

I mean, none of us give a single thought to it these days, but can you imagine playing a MOBA without role selection in 2018? Like, Jesus, dude.

It's legit the reason never to play Heroes of the Storm's draft modes. Though I do with more MOBAs would take their quickplay mode for when you just want to play one specific champ without risk of them being banned or taken by someone else.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I play both games but still find it very funny the Dota community spent years attacking any suggestion to add a role selection, then when it does get added they lust for it so much that they pay a subscription to use it.

Role selection is good and I'm glad for any game having it. Sometimes you just wanna play not-support without someone a rank below you inting because they didn't get it.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Vermain posted:

seriously

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i miss not having a meta. playing 212 and only sometimes having a warwick or nunu jungling

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Guys I am soraka jungle, trust me. - Some league player, 2011.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
we used to play udyr and lee sin in a duo lane. get a bunch of 10 ad and 100 hp dorans blades (like god intended). wriggles on udyr. lee was insanely strong but nobody ever played him. wriggles was very broken and udyr could make it even more unbalanced with it giving him unlimited mana in addition to hp

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

I don't know if I would've kept coming back to this game without it.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Methanar actually ate a 2 week ban for saying gently caress you in one single game and won’t get any rewards or master for it :lol:

Ouch

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Spokes posted:

Also in dota there's no surrender option. So the game you lost at 15 minutes, you're playing for another 20. Or 60, if the other team wants to be jerks. That's probably 90% of the reason I haven't at least gone back to try it (played 500+ hours before i got into league). that's perfect for some people but i'm old and just want to have fun while i try hard

I actually like not having a surrender option and I dont think it would work in dota. There are some heroes that just turn on when they get some items and that window may not happen until the 30 minute mark.

The earlier post on how league is consistent and easier to jump in is really true. I stopped playing dota for almost a year and the game has really changed and I am still learning the meta. League is pretty static in terms of lanes which makes it easy to jump in. DotA is really loving hard to play and the older I get the less time I have for 1 hour long games. At least in league I knew a game would probably be over in 40 minutes but in dota games last over an hour pretty often.

I do find dota really fun but I can see how it can turn people off. The barrier to entry is unbelievably high.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

How can anyone give a list of midland champs to learn and not suggest brand? He has absurdly strong base damage, good waveclear post 5, EXCELLENT trades because of his passive and the fact he has a stun, and has one of the most “press r to win” ultis in the game during late game team fights. He also works incredibly well in basically any comp because you can either build him as a kiting tank shredder (rylais+liandris) or for straight burst.

Either way he absolutely shits damage and I don’t think has an objectively bad matchup as long as you know how to trade with eq effectively. Absolute worst case landing with him is just clearing all creeps at max range with pillar of flame and then conflagration and backing up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i would agree, anyone who can always hit their skill shot stun does indeed not have a bad matchup

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Another important factor to remember here folks which we may forget sometimes but must always remember is DotA 2 loving Sucks

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if ur not challenger+ you are pretty much inting if you dont pick annie

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

if ur not challenger+ you are pretty much inting if you dont pick annie
wrong account LS

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's a leaked (?) preseason video in German. On the surface, this seems like the mildest preseason patch we've had in a long time, but I'm interested in seeing how dramatically turret plating changes the tempo of the game. Feels like it's going to benefit champs like Kai'Sa a ton and wind down the impact of early gankers like Xin considerably.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

making us play in german is pretty big in and of itself

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The pre-season is here, try new stuff, and even more new stuff, (maybe not that one), is it meta?, pre-season.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Vermain posted:

Here's a leaked (?) preseason video in German. On the surface, this seems like the mildest preseason patch we've had in a long time, but I'm interested in seeing how dramatically turret plating changes the tempo of the game. Feels like it's going to benefit champs like Kai'Sa a ton and wind down the impact of early gankers like Xin considerably.

All I got from that video is that I can play any champion in any lane

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im at my wit's end with that diana build

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I do think the turret changes are going to drastically alter the meta and we have no idea how it's really going to turn out yet.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
My hope is that somehow, through the magic of Riot Spaghetti code, the preseason accidentally rolls back Aatrox to being old Aatrox and they just never fix it. I think everybody should be in support of this plan.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Zodiac5000 posted:

My hope is that somehow, through the magic of Riot Spaghetti code, the preseason accidentally rolls back Aatrox to being old Aatrox and they just never fix it. I think everybody should be in support of this plan.

the word is that internally there is a lot of discussion going on about the rework (and Akali's rework, too) so who knows what's going to happen

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I thought the aatrox rework was pretty cool.

The Akali rework is meh gameplay wise. Shroud is not fun to interact with at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I should probably google and see what Akali and Aatrox rework actually did so I can understand half of this thread.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

The Akali rework is meh gameplay wise. Shroud is not fun to interact with at all.

Agreed

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tired Moritz posted:

I should probably google and see what Akali and Aatrox rework actually did so I can understand half of this thread.

they go hard til they get it, really

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh wait wtf you can't cc akali while she's in the shroud?

But the best part of going against akali is binding her rear end with morgana and murdering her :(

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tired Moritz posted:

oh wait wtf you can't cc akali while she's in the shroud?

But the best part of going against akali is binding her rear end with morgana and murdering her :(

I don't think that's right. She's just untargetable, she can still be stunned in shroud. And turrets don't attack her, obviously.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think Shroud is an interesting idea that's simply too unmanageable to balance in both fairness and power. Even if the basic conceit wasn't so frustrating to play against, Akali's kit simply has too much mobility baked in to also allow Shroud in its current state. The kit taken as a whole goes against one of the basic principles of assassin design: if you want to kill someone, you need to burn your major mobility options and directly commit. Akali can E -> Gunblade and start chasing someone down without needing to burn R until she's sure she has lethal, and, unlike someone like Zed, her Shroud can buy her sufficient time for E's CD, for her allies to arrive to turn a gank if the jungler shows up, or to simply escape out the other end if no one has Sweeper available to check her position.

I think Aatrox's kit as a whole is fine. If you need to tune it, you can do it with numbers or with minor mechanics changes (like making E's CD tied into proccing passive on champions or whatever). Akali is a lot harder to tune by simply bumping levers unless you want to completely kneecap her early game and make her some weird midgame assassin.

Sexpansion posted:

I don't think that's right. She's just untargetable, she can still be stunned in shroud. And turrets don't attack her, obviously.

The best way to think of Shroud is that it's a patch of brush that only Akali can use and can't be warded.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Riot doesn’t know how to create good and balanced assassins.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Riot doesn’t know how to create good and balanced assassins.

Assassins are probably the hardest champion to balance to be fair at all skill levels, in addition to there being an inherent tension between the assassin gameplay fantasy (running into someone and instantly blowing them up) and what's actually fun for their opponent. You saw this most clearly with the LeBlanc rework and revert: reworked LeBlanc was undeniably more healthy from a gameplay perspective and felt far better to play against, but the slowness of her combo felt miserable to execute. Out of all of the assassins, I think the only one where they've hit the sweet spot is Zed.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Vermain posted:

. Out of all of the assassins, I think the only one where they've hit the sweet spot is Zed.

Yeah I totally agree with this, Zed is very well balanced but he is one of the few assassins that isn't either OP or dogshit.

Talon seems ok too although he was insufferable for half the season.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

New Aatrox is actually a cool hero. I don't have any problem with him in a vacuum. My beef is that I loved old Aatrox and new Aatrox is fundamentally unlike him outside 'can revive once after dying'. I want my old lifestealing punchman back, I don't like being riven :(.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Wasn't the problem with Leblanc's rework that it turned her into a Gunblade sustain splitpusher which everyone hated? I can't believe that item is still in the game.

I like Aatrox's kit a lot if only for how absurdly basic it is but I think he's getting a little too much for free out of it, like I'm not sure how much he really needs the physvamp on his E when he is probably already going to build Death's Dance at some point.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
New Aatrox doesn't say "PEACE IS THE GREATEST LIE OF ALL", basically a garbage remake

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nook posted:

Wasn't the problem with Leblanc's rework that it turned her into a Gunblade sustain splitpusher which everyone hated?

That was symptomal of the assassin portion of her kit feeling clunky and awful to use. No one playing against new LeBlanc had any complaints about her no longer slicing off half their health from fog in a second with Q -> R; it was entirely the people who liked old LeBlanc's playstyle that wanted her reverted.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reworked Leblanc is marginally better because her new R mimics the last spell cast so she can’t quite as easily gin you out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Also new Akali is an absolute piece of poo poo because they made another resourceless or energy based champ that has built in sustain on a very small cool down, so that she’s impossible to dislodge from lane or poke out like other assassins are.

I mean, they nerfed old Shen and Vlad and nerfed a whole host of other kits for the same reason, then added that poo poo?