Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

She was good whenever Claremont wrote her in the 80's. I didn't hate the Kelly Sue Deconnick stuff (first arc was terrible, but I thought that was a combination of editorial meddling and really bad art, Like they have Mckelvie doing the covers and the original design and won't pay him for the interiors?)

I'm glad it got better. I bounced off the first arc pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Some of those are more impressive than others. Wolverine/Emma seemed especially lame because it was just Patch with white hair.

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of what Wolverine crossed with Emma would be is Dr. Frank-N-Furter but in white and with claws.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’ll probably have like diamond bones and claws or something.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Lobok posted:

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of what Wolverine crossed with Emma would be is Dr. Frank-N-Furter but in white and with claws.

I'd buy 10 copies of that issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1061669399252340736

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I need a video of Scottish people saying Squirrel Girl. Specifically it need David Tennant doing his Scrooge McDuck voice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Vulpes final galaxy battle was good manga so much I kept trying to read it right to left

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I need a video of Scottish people saying Squirrel Girl. Specifically it need David Tennant doing his Scrooge McDuck voice.

Huh.

If there ever was an appropriate username here...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

site posted:

Vulpes final galaxy battle was good manga so much I kept trying to read it right to left

We thought real hard about that, but they'd never let us get away with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh.

If there ever was an appropriate username here...

I get irrationally annoyed at people who don't think Squirrel and Girl don't rhyme too.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I did a creator spotlight over on Marvel.com, where I talked about some of my favourites on Unlimited (though with the BWS Conan series not on MU, it feels incomplete).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

In general Infinity Wars is almost like a reverse Fear Itself (and a couple of other small-in-scope-stories-that-turned-into-Events) in terms of storytelling, it's very much a continuation of what Duggan was doing in Guardians of the Galaxy with a sprinkling of Al Ewing concepts that turned into a Big Event except... it isn't even that? It's a monthly mini-series with a handful of short mini-series thrown in. It was being positioned as a much bigger deal, but at some point during the changeover from Alonso to Yoshida, Plans Changed in a major way.

The biggest illustration of this is that the original promotional material/set-up (going back to Marvel Legacy) had two of the New Infinity Watch members being Wolverine and Carol Danvers. They were front and center for all of the announcements, and Marvel Legacy one-shot has as one of its big cliffhangers Wolverine holding an Infinity Stone. There are a couple of early promo images with the Thing's hand holding a stone/Thing reaching for a stone and later Super-Skrull shows up in the story but no Thing, though I don't know if that was a planned swerve or an adjustment).

Then when the Infinity Countdown mini-series (which was originally solicited as issues of Duggan/Kuder's GOTG run) starts up, Wolverine literally drops the Infinity Stone off in a toilet tank in a safehouse only he and Black Widow know about with a note that lampshades the whole thing "Hey Nat, I had a plan for this stone but I got other stuff to deal with, can't explain sorry later bye!" and Black Widow just kind of picks up where I guess Wolverine was going to be in the narrative?

There was also the whole thing after Legacy where they did "after credits sequences" with Wolverine, back from the dead with an Infinity Stone, is teleporting around just missing all of his old friends who he wants to share a secret with. But this was all completely dropped and in the actual Return of Wolverine series he's back from the dead, amnesiac (he doesn't know his own name or who Daken or Sabretooth or anyone else is), working for some evil corporation with claws that get hot. Which means the whole "hey bub I'm back and I need to seek out my old friends for a secret mission!" doesn't align at all with where the new management decided to go with Wolverine's return.

Carol also gets shunted off pretty quickly, but not as hilariously.

Well, it looks like Wolverine isn't done with the Infinity Gems quite yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hearing from a few places Stan Lee just passed away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just saw it. Motherfucker.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lee was so incredibly important to comics for all his many, many flaws. It's a bummer his last few years seemed kinda miserable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Little Mac posted:

Lee was so incredibly important to comics for all his many, many flaws. It's a bummer his last few years seemed kinda miserable.

This.

I'm uncertain of his personal belief system but I hope he's with his wife again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rip

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1062052518384070657

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not looking forward to the absolute shitstorm about to blow in regarding his estate and his creations. But I'm glad the scumbags who were trying to gently caress him over can't get at him anymore.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, he was fading away pretty fast. I think I got used to the idea after the last couple of interviews I saw.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gently caress. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think we all knew he wasn't going to last long once his wife passed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bummer. I remember reading a paperback on my stepdad's shelf that contained the first year of Spider-Man comics when I was 8 or 9 and it was majorly influential. I'm sure billions of people have similar stories.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Stan Lee taught this skinny kid with glasses who liked reading more than sports and grew up in football-country that there could be something really special about him, even if everyone around him said he wasn't good at anything.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Godspeed, Stan Lee. Your work and legacy was a big part of my childhood and life and a huge impact to culture as well. Thank you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not looking forward to the absolute shitstorm about to blow in regarding his estate and his creations. But I'm glad the scumbags who were trying to gently caress him over can't get at him anymore.

The estate is going to be a clusterfuck, but honestly most of his creations that are worth anything are owned by Marvel so I don't see that being an issue. I don't see it being a Prince vault situation at least.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Marvel dosnt gently caress up its tribute to him.

When I was a kid I didn't know Leonard Nimoy was Spock or who voiced Cobra Commander but drat I knew who Stan Lee was.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dr Doom goes to stan lee's grave and cries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think they should use the cameos they already have in the tin, but I'll be seriously pissed if they do to him what they did to Peter Cushing in Rogue One.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I think they should use the cameos they already have in the tin, but I'll be seriously pissed if they do to him what they did to Peter Cushing in Rogue One.

I bet we see things like they do in the Netflix shows going forward. Street art of him, his face on in universe ads, etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I bet we see things like they do in the Netflix shows going forward. Street art of him, his face on in universe ads, etc.

I'd be okay with that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ill allow one cg stan if they let him go back with the watchers for the final cameo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So switching gears a little bit, since we do have a Stan Lee thread stuck at the top of the forum, I wanted to touch on a book from last week. Did anyone else read Marvel Knights? I knew next to nothing about this book going in except that it existed and I came out really intrigued. Obviously nobody knows what the hell is going on in it, especially the characters themselves, but it is this in continuity? Or is this some kind of alternate universe thing?

Also once again Donny Cates with that last page reveal insanity. And with the epilogue he did a double last page reveal!

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Skwirl posted:

They probably have enough to last through to 2099. Probably made him spend his last day being healthy enough to walk around saying hundreds of variants of "Get a load of this jerk" in front of a green screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

So switching gears a little bit, since we do have a Stan Lee thread stuck at the top of the forum, I wanted to touch on a book from last week. Did anyone else read Marvel Knights? I knew next to nothing about this book going in except that it existed and I came out really intrigued. Obviously nobody knows what the hell is going on in it, especially the characters themselves, but it is this in continuity? Or is this some kind of alternate universe thing?

Also once again Donny Cates with that last page reveal insanity. And with the epilogue he did a double last page reveal!

It *seems* like it's supposed to be in-universe but maybe that's part of the mystery. I dunno, I picked it up not knowing anything other than the creators and enjoyed it. I'm a bit annoyed that it looks like each issue has a different team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Between this and the Thanos/Cosmic Ghost Rider stuff, Donny Cates really likes writing Frank Castle but writes him completely different from anyone else ever has.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Daughters of the Dragon #1 is on Comixology today, by me, Travel Foreman and Jordan Gibson. I'm super proud of this one!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Between this and the Thanos/Cosmic Ghost Rider stuff, Donny Cates really likes writing Frank Castle but writes him completely different from anyone else ever has.
He also seems to be fond of writing Beta Ray Bill, except he gets Beta Ray Bill mixed up with Lobo. It's almost as if he's way more interested in high concepts and freaky twists than plot or character!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I love how Thor lends itself to filler issues better than most. Someone needs a break/skips a deadline? No problem, lets just tell an awesome tale from ages past and somehow it just doesn’t bug me the way it does in other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man, they are really squeezing as much as they can out of Phoenix Wolverine in an attempt to unfuck whatever change in direction they decided on.