Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mokinokaro posted:

I kind of have to commend them for trying to fix it. That's unusual for Namco.

Well if you're going through hell, keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I am assuming that WO4 will receive plenty of dlc... it needs it after beating the campaign. Miss Achilles and Ryu though 😭

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
For those who didn't want to buy DW9: it's now "free", at least on Steam. I don't know how free, hence the quotes.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think thats a trial

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It is a trial, yes. Though apparently even people playing the trial are upset with it. Its that bad.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I downloaded the trial and everything reeks of not having done a QA pass. Did Koei run out of time or something?

I can't even get past the tutorial, despite doing what it's telling me. The gently caress is a 'Fell' and 'Flow' attack? Why is following a Fell with this Flow thing not advancing the game (I'm playing as Xiahou Dun).

This is a shame because I was super looking forward to DW9 Empires, the open world setup would be awesome with it.

Edit: Oh, 'Fell' is 'Knock Down'! I get it now, I wish terminology was consistent. And the tutorial would point to the right buttons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The characters in WO4 from previous WO games seem king of lousy. I guess the DW and SW characters are using their updated movesets from 8/4 while Susanoo and whoever are still using their ancient WO3 movesets.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The Moon Monster posted:

The characters in WO4 from previous WO games seem king of lousy. I guess the DW and SW characters are using their updated movesets from 8/4 while Susanoo and whoever are still using their ancient WO3 movesets.

I found that Susano'o specifically still holds up due to his ability to generate massive numbers of hits with his C4 (and the fact that he has overall strong stats). (A few other characters can do it too, but do you really want to use Bao Sanniang?) But in general I agree.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I was rolling with the recommended party for every battle until it became way too much effort to get everybody decently leveled. Also half the time one of them would be training.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
That's been a recurring issue I've noticed, WO3 had people super outdated too. Goemon in WO3 was constantly rated one of the worst since he was literally a Samurai Warriors 1 character in a field of Dynasty Warriors 7/SW3 people. He popped up in SW4 so he's probably not the oldest anymore, so that's nice I guess?

I haven't played WO4 yet, but I bet the tier list people are probably going to put Fu Xi and Nu Wa near the bottom. They're still probably Orochi 1 based(and in turn based off Dynasty Warriors 3 movesets). When you have so many characters, KOEI probably doesn't care too much about balance except in extreme cases.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You barely actually use movesets in WO4 anyways, for better or worse. Magic is so OP. Regular attacks are just what you do while your magic bar is recharging...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I tried the DW9 Trial on PS4 and... I kinda liked it?

Spent a little over 6 hours as Xiahou Dun on the Yellow Turban Rebellion, doing just about every side quest in the immediate areas and taking care of all the bases before dealing with Zhang Jiao himself. You only touch maybe a third of the whole map doing this and for an open world Dynasty Warriors experience it was pretty much what I expected. I love the kinds of games where they give you a bunch of mechanics in an open world and let you have at it, so the instant I got free reign I took off in a random direction and started trashing bases. I didn't realize until about 2 hours in that the quest to craft a healing item was still part of the tutorial so I had to do the rest of that quickly and learn stuff I had already figured out in the meantime.

Combat seemed really intuitive to me for the most part, square button is your generic attack and you use the R1+Button attacks to chain things together. If I want to go up, it's Triangle and if I want to slam them down it's X, Circle for Special because it's also the Musou button, and Square for Stun because it's also the generic mashing button. After about an hour or so I was chain attacking officers to death and setting them up for those triangle Reactive attacks to insta-kill them, which felt really satisfying when you get that little cutscene angle and Xiahou Dun just slices that dude through. I think I might actually like DW9's combat more than 8 in a weird way. It never felt like any of my moves were useless, like every character always has combo finishers you'll never use and the like but in 9 I used every part of Dun's moveset. As a moment-to-moment Dynasty Warriors game, I really enjoyed this.

As mentioned above though, this game is frighteningly underpolished and desperately needed more time. It looks so ugly a lot of the time, I'm getting frequent frame drops even on PS4 Pro in the Action mode, and there's a ton of things about it visually and how it carries itself that seem so second rate. NPCs vibrating through furniture, villagers walking into walls endlessly, multiple quests picked up from the same tavern that direct you to the same location so you're in a field fighting a group of wolves, a man-eating bear, a gang of bandits, a troupe of assassins, and a unit of rebel blacksmiths all at the same time in the same place for no explicable reason. Every base has a dude who gives you a quest, and it's always "there's a buncha dudes about 1 minute away and they wanna kill us, kill them first." This entire game feels like one of those boilerplate foundation games and, ideally, Koei Tecmo would have built upon it for future games but the general reaction it got seems to have sent them screaming back to DW8-style with what we've seen from WO4.

Any and all of Dynasty Warriors' cinematic flair died with this game when they took it from somewhat semi-lovingly crafted cinematics to ugly real-time ones where everyone just stands in place and talks. There are so few unique looking locations and everything just looks so bland and interchangeable. Grappling hook totally destroys any sense of challenge in getting to enemies, when it came time to fight Zhang Jiao I just busted in the back, killed Zhou Cang, and grappled up the back straight into Zhang's throne room. I felt kind of bad because I saw the stairway up to it and it looks like they put so many officers and a nice looking setpiece and I just ignored all that.

For those who haven't tried the Trial, they give you three "tickets" to let you unlock a character for the trial among a selection of them, but also give you a daily choice of 6 different random officers to freely play in online co-op with. The only real restrictions that they place on you for the trial is they don't let you gear up too hard for it, like I unlocked the Cutlass EX (one step above the default Dun weapon) and it wouldn't let me equip it... yet I could openly buy high end items to bump my attack up so I ended the trial at Lv. 30 with 700 ATK. Once you finish the scenario, you can't use that character anymore (they only offer a certain selection of characters per scenario and each selection is unique to that scenario) unless you buy their "Officer Ticket" which seems to unlock them for free play possibly across the whole of the game? The pricing is varied by officer and it's a weird look at who Koei Tecmo sees as a money draw and who they can bait casuals in with. Up here in Canada, Lu Bu is only $2.99 but Liu Shan next to him is $3.99 and Lianshi above him is $5.49! I considered dropping $3 for Sima Shi but I don't know enough about the tickets to consider it yet.

All-in-all, if this game were cheap enough I think I would actually buy it. It's $48 right now here in Canada on the PS+ Double Discounts sale (down from $80) and if it hit like $30 in the summer I'd definitely buy it just to fritter the season away with. I can't fathom buying this at full retail price and I absolutely understand why anyone and everyone who did at launch are mad at it, but for what the product is I think a deep discounted price like that would be fine. I think it's fun, but very unpolished and janky, and we're approaching a massive Fall/Winter gaming season so I can't justify dropping cash on it here and now.

Thanks for the trial, Koei Tecmo! It may have (possibly) done its job.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Holy gently caress you can't rebind keys to the numpad in the PC version (to mimick the button layout on controllers aka how I've played DW4, 6, 8/8E, Orochi and all the other games I played via PS2 emulation). And holy crap why is the camera so loving uncontrollable without an actual controller. This is literally unplayable due to this farce of a keyboard camera.

KT is the goddamn king of backwards stepping.

Aka definitely not buying this piece of crap.

EDIT - Will try again tomorrow after spending time on rebinding keys.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 13, 2018

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Also count me as one of those people who enjoys the dub of Dynasty Warriors.

That is, I did. I have yet to hear anyone I recognize from any of the earlier games. I might try and burn an officer ticket on Zhang Liao and see if he at least has Steve Blum.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Airspace posted:

Also count me as one of those people who enjoys the dub of Dynasty Warriors.

That is, I did. I have yet to hear anyone I recognize from any of the earlier games. I might try and burn an officer ticket on Zhang Liao and see if he at least has Steve Blum.

None of the old voice actors are back. Trust me. They used a whole different studio who seemingly either gave no direction at all or literally grabbed hobos off the street to read lines before kicking them back out.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Yeah, the "big name" voice actors were on strike when DW9 was being dubbed, and the cast they got are pretty uniformly bad from what I've heard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Maleketh posted:

Yeah, the "big name" voice actors were on strike when DW9 was being dubbed, and the cast they got are pretty uniformly bad from what I've heard.

I was appalled at Xiahou Dun's new voice actor, but I stuck it out for about an hour before switching to Chinese voice acting. Speaking of, I am very happy these games finally have Chinese dubs because it just feels right to me, like playing Nobunaga's Ambition with Japanese voices.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The Chinese dub isn't great either (getting Chinese VAs to work with a Japanese company is not possible so it's done by expats and Japanese VAs who know Chinese) but it does lend some authenticity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also I don't understand what they're saying so I cannot gauge if they're doing it good or not

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
According to steam forums there's a sale?

With the Chinese voices I miiight be interested in buying it.

I don't see it at all, though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
My favorite part of the lovely DW9 voice acting is how inconsistent it is at pronouncing things. I'm pretty sure you hear both Cao Cao and Cow Cow.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

My favorite part of the lovely DW9 voice acting is how inconsistent it is at pronouncing things. I'm pretty sure you hear both Cao Cao and Cow Cow.

There's a difference?!?!

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Yes. Cao Cao is pronounced Tsao Tsao. (I personally suggest looking at the Wade-giles way of spelling things to know how to say them. Its usually right and some complete dip poo poo decided the Ch sound should be Q when translated over.) Where as for most of its history DW pronounced it as Cow Cow. Now in this version you have people saying Tsao and Cow, Quan and Chuan, Ci and Shi. Because at least half the voice actors didn't get the proper pronunciations and so its incredibly inconsistent.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

And worst of all it's not even funny like it was in the DW3 - DW5 days. They're not even trying to get anything across with the "performance", they're just reading lines as though they were at home learning them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't care what they do to DW9. I'm not buying it on principle. They hosed it up, and they hosed over the customers in enough ways, producing a really lovely product with a really lovely open-world that actively hurts the gameplay the series is known for.

Plus, you know, ripping out all the interesting weapons to sell as DLC. I'm admittedly a humongous fanboy for a few things and spend money on some series when I really shouldn't be supporting a particular company's practices, but Dynasty Warriors is not such a series for me. If the game is lovely, or the company is being a shady piece of poo poo, I'm gonna give 'em the middle finger, and speak with my wallet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
BEHOLD COW PEE, IN ALL HIS GLORY~

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

You and I both. I bought and played fanatically from DW2 to SW2:E with everything inbetween, and while I did miss out on everything from DW6 up to DW8 thanks to my PC-only approach, DW8:XLE brought me back like I'd never missed anything. Sure I'm a dumb notalgiafag and drunkenly bought the old costume DLC just to run around as DW3 Lu Bu again but then releasing a new game while literally removing what makes a character stand out?

Nah. Ain't paying for that.

In other news, playing SW4-II again and god drat if that ain't the most relaxing pre-battle theme for any Warriors game. I don't want to fight, I want to nap and talk poo poo.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Alright, wrangled the DW9 keyboard controls into something playable.

Now, next question why is the AA so poo poo in this game.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 14, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lurksion posted:

why is the AA so poo poo in this game.

Anti-aircraft is a thing in DW9? I know there's a Shu bias but did Yueying invent zeppelins or something? :stare:

(Yeah yeah I know, AI. It's poo poo because OPEN WORLD! Officers can two/three hit-kill you though, so there's that. Game balance!)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Anti-aircraft is a thing in DW9? I know there's a Shu bias but did Yueying invent zeppelins or something? :stare:

(Yeah yeah I know, AI. It's poo poo because OPEN WORLD! Officers can two/three hit-kill you though, so there's that. Game balance!)

They probably meant anti aliasing

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

They probably meant anti aliasing

Oh, cock.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yep, antialiasing.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I booted up DW9 for the first time since they added the coop and such and immediately got the achievement for unlocking all the characters. So I guess that's a thing now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I see complaints. Would people recommend WO4 despite that or not? I played through WO3 and that was fun even though I doubt I even had a dozen characters I really liked to use regularly.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I see complaints. Would people recommend WO4 despite that or not? I played through WO3 and that was fun even though I doubt I even had a dozen characters I really liked to use regularly.

Depends. It is absolutely a solid game with good level design and mechanics, but it's very short on content. Compared to WO3, its campaign is perhaps a bit shorter (half the length if you played Ultimate), and the secondary mode may as well not even be there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Will wait for the super ultra hyper refresh edition with three times the campaign length then!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Leal posted:

Also I don't understand what they're saying so I cannot gauge if they're doing it good or not

For some reason in DW games the text quote is different for everyone's "I just killed an officer!" line but they all just say, exactly "Enemy Officer: Defeated!" in Japanese. That still weirds me out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

For some reason in DW games the text quote is different for everyone's "I just killed an officer!" line but they all just say, exactly "Enemy Officer: Defeated!" in Japanese. That still weirds me out.

English

: "Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!"

Japanese

:geno: "I defeated an enemy officer"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

English

: "Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!"

I have driven at least two roommates crazy with this voice clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have to admit, I have shamelessly stolen a number of lines from Dynasty Warriors characters for my own characters in other games. Hell, I even came up with an excuse to give my axe-wielding warrior in World of Warcraft the in-character title "The Coming Evil".