Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

So yeah, I don't think the 0-100 personal combat skill really applies to characters. My last three characters have all ended up with combat skill in the 150s, with one topping out at 170something. My warrior lodge orders me to duel someone, and it turns out they've got like a 10. Okay guy, sure, I'll try not to kill you.

my current guy (who admittedly is a hacky bullshit character from the ruler designer that I put together just to gently caress with things) has 300 combat skill. People generally don't live. I did, however, see an AI who had 107 combat skill. I think he was one of those Blessed Child events or something because he had loads and loads of modifiers and 30s in every stat. Also he united England under the banner of Islam in like 10 years around 820.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just dueled my way straight the gently caress through the Byzantine Empire as Haesteinn with a bro from the warrior lodge. The Basilissa got pissed and issued a challenge. This happened.

then some other duels happened and

My hammer's better than yours. Yours may be a bear, but mine's goddamn Mjolnir.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Cool! I'll grab those three, fiddle around, and see if I want more come christmas.

it may also be worth adding old gods if you want, because that enables pagans, who are a lot more war focused and conquery than your typical catholic feudal ruler

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is there a way to search for bloodlines? Other than just clicking on every character to see if they have one.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

I just dueled my way straight the gently caress through the Byzantine Empire as Haesteinn with a bro from the warrior lodge. The Basilissa got pissed and issued a challenge. This happened.

then some other duels happened and

'bitch-mode basellius sends bear-ringer to battle blackhearted bull of nantes. byzantine barons beside themselves after brutal beating.'

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

New Byzantine Mode is good

Started as Leon Phokas in 867, lucked out on capturing Crete in a Holy War and became a Doux. Prestige + being a good general + friends with Basil lead to me becoming Emperor at 65 with 4 adult sons, 2 generals a spy and a priest, although none have kids yet for some reason. I wasn't really expecting to live long or have kids succeed me so I started dumping generalships and holdings on my kids which I am sure pissed everyone off.

Son 1 who was also competent soldier dies in a civil war battle... oh well there are spares.

Son 2 less competent soldier dies of suspicious circumstances, in response I lock up and execute all the Macedonians I could get my hands on.

Son 3 the priest is murdered under suspicious circumstances so it probably wasn't the macedonians since they are dead.

I come down with a severe illness of measles in my 70's and obviously this doesn't look good.

Son 4 who I made Duke of all the Aegean Islands + Crete & Achia and is my spymaster is murdered investigating plots.

A week later I die, dynasty dead game over, authentic Byzantine experience from my reading.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 14, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had my first game with the patch, and it's pretty neat. Had to prostrate myself in front of the pope to deal with an excommunication, and he told me to be celibate.

Of course this was before I had a proper heir, and my next ruler had been matrilineally married for the sake of an alliance, so there was a little :derp: for a while there. If I hadn't set up an ironman game I would've tried swapping characters dynasties to keep the game going. Better to ditch all the diSorrenti brothers anyway, but as I prepared for the game over, the Pope called me into a crusade to distract me.

Apparently if you don't try to take the crusade target for yourself directly, you can only nominate non-inheriting adults, and so I nominated a genius daughter. The deHautevilles won the crusade, but I still got the option to brain-hop into the daughter after she became a countess (although apparently crusaders use muslim titles now?) on a silk road trade post, so I got to go to a whole new game of seduction and trying to usurp the dukedom of Ascalon. Real great. I even had to choose to take it easy during pregnancy and whether to breastfeed new children. An oath of temperance to help through the pregnancy also led to becoming malnourished. So many features.

I even got to murder the non-dynasty heir that took over after my pre-crusade ruler committed suicide. I love these brain-hopping mechanics.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man its interesting to flip back and forth between these two maps and see just how much changed/was added. New counties were inserted everywhere.

Holy Fury

Previous Map:

To be fair, that's the pre-Jade Empire map you're comparing it with, but it's still really impressive overall. Even on the places with the same number of provinces, the lines just look better drawn.

Somehow it feels like the game's running faster than it used to as well, it's crazy.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Jeepers, playing as a martial pagan is an entirely new game and it is so so good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I did a mass conversion to Miaphysite as the king of Kanem, became the greatest duelist in Africa, then went on a Tournament Arc trip to Iberia with my Z Fighters, murdering half of the Emirs. Then I get killed by a random peasant we fought for some reason. Good poo poo.

Also, this still horrifies me:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So last night I started with Sonhhai. Managed to unite all of West Africa, then realised that if I wanted to reform I would need to press against the Magreb at least a little.

I noticed the current Sultan was a child and had a relatively small levy so I started a conquest on the corridors.

The first battle I dueled a commander who was also a Jewish court physician, he lost his leg and declared eternal vengeance.

The next battle I got a battlefield nickname event which just fits so well. I had been fighting around in the sahel for a decade or so at this point but on my first appearance in 'civilised' society I had maimed a prominent scholar so of course they are going to write about me.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Dear God the names your cat people can have.

Ma'iq was pretty good, but so is Lord-Admiral-Edward-Hawke-First-Baron-Hawke

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why does this bloodline provide a Taoist opinion bonus? I've been wondering about this for a while.

ShootaBoy posted:

Is there a way to search for bloodlines? Other than just clicking on every character to see if they have one.

There is! It's the last page of the ledger, you can click through a list of all bloodlines, even those that died out.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Dear God the names your cat people can have.

Ma'iq was pretty good, but so is Lord-Admiral-Edward-Hawke-First-Baron-Hawke
No, Ma'iq can't be a real name

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Are you calling Ma'iq a liar?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right, ptentially dumb question here, but can you change the fluff of your religion, maybe by editing your save or something? I want to *~roleplay~*.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One problem with the new crusade system. They do not loving end, ever. And if you joined, you cannot do anything that is forbidden while at war.

Sixteen years straight in my current game. The warscore finally swung negative again; I'm praying we actually lose.

edit: Make that twenty years, and back into the positives!!

edit2: Thirty years, still counting. I'm into my next king, who was automatically in the crusade and cannot be crowned thanks to the ongoing war.

edit3: Forty years.

FINALLY. Ended forty-three years after it was declared.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The amount of references the animal name lists have is awesome.

The dragons have "Rathalos" and "Rathian".

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Torrannor posted:

There is! It's the last page of the ledger, you can click through a list of all bloodlines, even those that died out.

Yessss. Thank you a ton, I never would have found that on my own.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Torrannor posted:

Why does this bloodline provide a Taoist opinion bonus? I've been wondering about this for a while.

Taoists believe you can achieve immortality through various virtuous means.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Funky Valentine posted:

The amount of references the animal name lists have is awesome.

The dragons have "Rathalos" and "Rathian".

A bunch of the Dog names are from the Cynegeticus. And a bunch more were sourced from the Dev's pets

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why not? I must be missing a pronouciation joke. Mah-Ick?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bloodly posted:

Why not? I must be missing a pronouciation joke. Mah-Ick?

Recurring Elder Scrolls character who always lies and is a catman

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So it turns out if you're an animal ruler and take concubines from other species, you can have children of other species with them. I'm a cat duke, and now have a human daughter named Angry and an elephant son named Mr. Bigglesworth. This expansion owns.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Rolled back the update to finish my game.

The portraits seemed to still be updated, but nothing else has changed as far as I can tell.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Any obvious bugs with this patch that are gamebreaking? I have a real hankering to get back into CK2 but I know how much stuff breaks with each release.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Any obvious bugs with this patch that are gamebreaking? I have a real hankering to get back into CK2 but I know how much stuff breaks with each release.

Having played quite a lot last night -

I don't think so, not that I noticed at least. Your save games won't work though but that's hardly unusual for a Paradox update.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I'm having fun with warrior lodges. I asked my 15 yr old son if he wanted to join and he was like "Yeah, dad! I've always wanted to be like you!"

His only stats are in Martial. He's dumb as poo poo and I love him.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Turns out the monastic orders are now actually the strongest societies for catholics, because the pope will hand out duchy-level claims like candy. As a virtuous ruler, you're basically guaranteed to get them on any duchy held by a child, a king with free investiture and anyone who pissed him off in general.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Are you calling Ma'iq a liar?
no I am the liar

Rumda posted:

Do not believe this man!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rumda posted:

And is it not pronounced "Mike", because the character was named for a real person?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
1st son dies from the plague.

My second son, who I gave Syria to after winning a crusade, inherits Castile via his mother's father dying from the plague.

He gets assassinated by the Duke of Navarra. I can tell from the red skull that says so.

How is there no option to arrest this guy with eating -40 points of Tyranny!? This is ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Man. I wish it were possible to see the succession laws of a place before you start a new game up.

I made a random file hoping to play with the new imperial succession, and with the byzantine option clicked, but when I loaded up the empire, it was Primogeniture.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a pack of vaguely mormon basset hounds who worship the golden leaves and flay their ancestors to wear the skins as masks.

with tribal invasions, literal sister wives and blood sacrifices all year round.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Did something weird happen to dynasties? I died with wife pregnant. Couple months into my son's reign, the baby is born a male. Except he isn't of my dynasty, he's of the mom's dynasty. Is this intentional?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Did something weird happen to dynasties? I died with wife pregnant. Couple months into my son's reign, the baby is born a male. Except he isn't of my dynasty, he's of the mom's dynasty. Is this intentional?

Maybe the kid is a bastard? I've had a concubine give birth after her husband's death and the kid was of his dynasty as expected.

This is the first game where I've had two characters die in the first two years and it was cool. Dad got murdered aged 67, first son dies in battle, second son with decent stats gets cancer right after attaining the throne and is now infirm. Kept having sons regardless. To add insult to injury I'm on gavelkind, so I hope I can form an empire before this guy kicks it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Messed with Enatic Clans a bit. Open Inheritance is just awesome. I have my primary capital duchy, and my secondary, inheritor duchy. On inheritance, I have 2 duchies. Give my inheritor duchy to who i want as my heir, or keep it till im ready to pick who it is. Its jsut.. Flop. have a duchy. she is my heir. 5th born cause she is attractive wolf lodge, martial 36, and genius.

founded a blood line that makes smiths want to upgrade their wares when you ask to build them

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 14, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Do all pagans get warrior lodges, or just Africans?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: All pagans get them.

edit2: What's up with your pooping hamster avatar?

Eldership succession really does have it's downsides, but the upside is just huge. No frantic rushing to get an empire title in order hold everything together after elective gavelkind splits your titles. No worry that you will lose your top title to someone not of your dynasty. It's honestly great, and it's actually a tough decision whether to give that honorary title to a powerful vassal or an unhappy elder.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 14, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sticky Nate posted:

I'm having fun with warrior lodges. I asked my 15 yr old son if he wanted to join and he was like "Yeah, dad! I've always wanted to be like you!"

His only stats are in Martial. He's dumb as poo poo and I love him.

Yeah I did that with a son and like every six months he'd get some event that was like +3 martial, -2 diplomacy lol. He's not gonna be the designated heir for my republic but he will get to be a commander and duel away to his brawny hearts content for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Cyflan posted:

Noticed you can use the Animal Kingdoms setting on Shattered Worlds too, not just Random Worlds.

Gonna have a bunch of fun with it, I bet!

Dog, horse, cat, elephant, Irish