Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh PQube

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/1059496751831359488

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SMH that Black Ops is higher than Killzone Mercenary

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Policenaut posted:

I believe the contract ran out on it and it was pulled during one of Marvel's fits where they tried to make Marvel video games fall in line with their MCU. It eventually came back on modern platforms.

So hunting for it for my VIta won't break my wallet?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TV Zombie posted:

So hunting for it for my VIta won't break my wallet?

I just looked it up on US eBay now to see and used carts seem to go for around $25-30 USD so it shouldn't be too bad.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Has anyone tried Death Mark yet? It looks interesting, but it might be nice to hear goon trip reports.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I have. It's a pretty interesting horror novel with a twist you can see coming from miles away. It does do a good job on the horror atmosphere though.

The controls are a little wonky and it requires some thinking to "solve" each case correctly. (each case can end one of two ways. You want the good ending in order to access the DLC ending - which comes seperately on the Vita.)

I really liked it and hope they localize the sequel. I also recommend keeping different save slots.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hi. I bought a vita to play danganronpa at work and also play Ridge Racer Type 4 at work, because the Switch so far lets me do neither of those things.

Other than Persona, if I'm into more modern/future-setting jrpg stuff than fantasy stuff like Dragon Quest or Ys, what are the cool options, especially for story-based stuff?

(also I haven't properly started persona, is P3P the best one to start with or are the PS1/PSP Persona 2 games alright? I heard Persona 1 is dated and kind of tonally different from the rest of the series so I'll probably save that as a completionism thing if that)

also are there things that are like anime titty games except for gay dudes. asking for a friend

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Trails of Cold Steel is technically fantasy but it's set in a military school and there's magitek everywhere including some pretty advanced tech by the end of the first game, try that.

The Persona games are not directly related to each other. Persona 1 is extremely dated, both 2s are old but have some interesting ideas that make them worth checking out, and 3 is where the modern formula really starts.

For P3P, be aware that the female protagonist is way more fun as a person than the male one, but her not being a depressed loner who doesn't care if they die means she doesn't mesh quite as well with the game's themes as the way-more-boring dude protagonist.

(PS: feMC forever.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 13, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(also I haven't properly started persona, is P3P the best one to start with or are the PS1/PSP Persona 2 games alright? I heard Persona 1 is dated and kind of tonally different from the rest of the series so I'll probably save that as a completionism thing if that)

You've got a Vita so you may as well start with P4G.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sure. I'm guessing it's like a lot of jrpgs where the series order is kind of immaterial?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was determined to be a completionist so I went back and played Persona 1 and both halves of Persona 2 within the past year. I can't really recommend that anyone else do the same.

P1 is horribly dated, I ended up using a cheat engine to just skip through all the combat but I can't remember a single thing that happened during the game or any connections that it had to later games in the series.

P3 has a few minor callbacks to characters in P2, the P2 games hold up a bit better compared to P1 but they are still a pretty big time investment for not much payoff.

If I had to do it over again I would have just started with P3 / P3P.

Don't be like me, I have put 120+ hours into the Persona series starting in 2014 and I'm still only about 75% of the way through Persona 3 at this point. I bought a Vita years ago for P4G and haven't even started it yet.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Listening to Easy Allies talk about phone games from several years back put me in the mood to play Plants vs. Zombies. I find out that the game was available on the Vita at one point, but not anymore. It's listed on the store, but not available to purchase. It really sucks since the Vita would be the best console to play the game on, utilizing the touch screen. I guess the DS version would be the next best option. I saw someone mention (in 2015) that Gamestop still sold codes for the game that could still be redeemed on PSN. If for some reason I manage to find an unused code, would I still technically be able to get the game from the store?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’d play P3P portable before P4G. Both are excellent so enjoy the more slightly dated one first.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

hadji murad posted:

I’d play P3P portable before P4G. Both are excellent so enjoy the more slightly dated one first.

P4G was my first Persona game and I loved it. Afterwards, it was hard to get into P3 (both PSP and PS2) for some reason. I still have yet to finish either of them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you lose a lot of qol improvements going back to 3 after 4. p3p does bring some over at least

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I did P4G first but I was so hooked on the mechanic that I still loved playing P3P.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hi. I bought a vita to play danganronpa at work and also play Ridge Racer Type 4 at work, because the Switch so far lets me do neither of those things.

Other than Persona, if I'm into more modern/future-setting jrpg stuff than fantasy stuff like Dragon Quest or Ys, what are the cool options, especially for story-based stuff?

also are there things that are like anime titty games except for gay dudes. asking for a friend

As others have said I'd just play persona 3 portable then persona 4 golden.

I can't recall more modern style rpgs, I guess technically Ray Gigant is kind of like that but I also can't recommend it unless it's seriously discounted. Exp Inc is not particularly great at making a captivating story so them trying to make one and skimping on the mechanics was pretty bad. Operation Abyss and Babel are dungeon rpgs set in modern Tokyo but they're both kind of archaic in mechanics. Abyss in particular is pretty rigid (think like wizardry if you've played that, spells have charges instead of mana, traps, some real rear end in a top hat traps like dispelling levitate over an acid pool that kills you instantly if you don't have worn levitate, etc) but babel is a lot less bullshit and it lets you multiclass. You'll miss a lot of the story jumping into babel but you can read up a bit in game if you really give a poo poo, it's not particularly important or anything, you'll just be slightly confused why you should care about some characters making appearances.

As for your last question, eh? There's been a lot of otome games released on the vita but I'd guess that's not what you're looking for.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dream Daddy just came out on PS4...not sure if it's on Vita though.

Can't say if it's any 'good', per se, but the Akiba's Beat series is a modern-day RPG. So is the Caligula Effect, but I can say that one isn't good.

There's also Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and some sequels, set in pseudo-modern-day-Tokyo. With digimon. And hacking? Something like that.

Not a Vita game, but if you have a Switch, I imagine you know about The World Ends With You?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Wasn't Caligula Effect or one of those games like a game where you were a chick and had dudes hitting on you?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Uh. No.

You're thinking of Otome games.

Caligula Effect was a game with interesting ideas, but poor execution.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It also has a new version coming out for switch. Basically a Persona style game with a shitload of character choices with none of the personality that drives those games.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

aaaaah. a lot of those games seemed to kinda blur together to me with what limited information the PSN store gives for the games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

friendo welcome to the club and there's always otome. Gotta catch all my anime bfs. Vita is prob the best portable for VN apart from PC.

VN thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705885&pagenumber=1

Alder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 14, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

per reddit/twitch, pqube won't be putting out anymore vita games. Says digital releases only are not viable.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/334977375?t=01h35m45s

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Oh no, not GalGun and Senran Kagura. Whatever will we do.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

rest in peace vita

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Vanillaware's mech game also got its Vita version cancelled

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Oh no, not GalGun and Senran Kagura. Whatever will we do.

I don't know what they have in store, buy they also released Steins;Gate and I very much like this game, so it's a shame anyway.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Don't worry, Sony will keep putting out firmware updates to the vita until the heat death of the universe to discourage pirating of... non existent new games.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You have to protect things like, uh, the latest shovelware phone looking game that gets ported to everything and that game that trophy hunters buy because the trophies are insanely trivial.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Does h-encore allow you to use a non-Sony memory card? I am on 3.68 and want to move away from Sony memory cards because I’ve had two 32s fail on me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hadji murad posted:

Does h-encore allow you to use a non-Sony memory card? I am on 3.68 and want to move away from Sony memory cards because I’ve had two 32s fail on me.

I think you just need to buy the adapter. And give up on the game cart slot since the adapter goes there.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Oh right, completely forgot about this.

Welp, I’m certainly ready to try this out.

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

hadji murad posted:

It is a serious pain to do. But there are some good tutorials out there for it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Yeah, it does. The adapter itself is only a few bucks. Be aware though that getting the process of switching to the sd card wrong might require you rehack the device.

A lot of tutorials will advise you to use your pc to copy your sony memory card over to the sd2vita card, however i found it better to do this instead:

Set up the storage driver module for the sd2vita with the default configuration as is, plug everything in and confirm that you can actually properly access the sd2vita.
Copy everything over with vitashell on the vita directly instead of using the pc at all.
Edit the config for the storage driver to swap the assignments for the memory card and the sd card, then reboot and reapply h-encore.
Some guides also recommend deleting things afterwards, but unless you're hurting for psp game storage space that's not required at all.

This order protects you a little from getting the thing into a state where the boot sequence tries to set it up so apps are read from the sd2vita, but the sd2vita isn't actually readable (due to formatting or driver mishaps). If you end up with the vita not showing any apps at all, a library rebuild from the save boot menu might help.

Also, on my 3.68 PSTV i had to plug in the usb device in the 3 seconds after triggering h-encore startup, instead of at device boot, so if it doesn't see the sd2vita, that might be something to try as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Papers Please is pretty neat. And stressful

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, it does. The adapter itself is only a few bucks. Be aware though that getting the process of switching to the sd card wrong might require you rehack the device.

A lot of tutorials will advise you to use your pc to copy your sony memory card over to the sd2vita card, however i found it better to do this instead:

Set up the storage driver module for the sd2vita with the default configuration as is, plug everything in and confirm that you can actually properly access the sd2vita.
Copy everything over with vitashell on the vita directly instead of using the pc at all.
Edit the config for the storage driver to swap the assignments for the memory card and the sd card, then reboot and reapply h-encore.
Some guides also recommend deleting things afterwards, but unless you're hurting for psp game storage space that's not required at all.

This order protects you a little from getting the thing into a state where the boot sequence tries to set it up so apps are read from the sd2vita, but the sd2vita isn't actually readable (due to formatting or driver mishaps). If you end up with the vita not showing any apps at all, a library rebuild from the save boot menu might help.

Also, on my 3.68 PSTV i had to plug in the usb device in the 3 seconds after triggering h-encore startup, instead of at device boot, so if it doesn't see the sd2vita, that might be something to try as well.

Thanks a lot for this, I will
definitely be checking it out as I do it.

I have a Vita 1000 so it says the Sony memory card is necessary. How important is
the long term health of it or is it only used to initialize the process?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's the boot disk. It doesn't do much once it's running, but you need it in order to get your sd2vita stuff running. And if it dies, you get to rehack everything again.

So you'd better get a spare one. That said, i'm not entirely sure how i'd go about moving the contents of one memory card to the other. Not sure if hotswap without reboot actually works. Gonna try that tomorrow.

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.
Thank you Mithaldu for posting that information for me.

He helped me through my first hack, and his changes from the basic tutorial worked quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys. I’m thinking of using the h-encore guide from vita.hacks. Is that a good one or is there anything better?

Also how long of a process is it about? I’ve got kids around so I want to save it for a day when I have enough time.